Rockets Off-Season Priorities

Moderators: ken6199, TMU

aHealthy3
Rookie
And1: 301

Re: Rockets Off-Season Priorities 

Post#121 » by aHealthy3 » Wed Jul 12, 2017 5:22 pm

texasholdem wrote:
DikembeFor3 wrote:Sixers fan here, huge Morey fan. I think Melo would be an awesome fit as he'd get to play in off the ball Olympic Melo mode where he just spots up and scores super efficiently.

Regardless though, after the CP3 deal I'm assuming Morey's gonna need a handful of guys off the scrap heap to fill out this roster (especially if you guys give up Gordon and/or Anderson or someone else for Melo) and I'm really interested to see what he comes up with in his efforts to find some Robert Covington type diamonds in the rough. You already plucked Shawn Long from us which many of us over at the Sixers board were pissed about and think he is a real player. I like giving Uthoff a shot too. Outside of super under the radar Summer League guys he may be looking at I came up with a couple possibilities that could be had for pretty much nothing:

-Hollis Thompson (serviceable defensive wing, 39% career 3PT shooter)
-Thabo Sefolosha for the vet min?
-Deandre Liggins? good defensive wing, no idea why the Cavs waived him for Dahntay Jones
-Pat Connaughton from Portland looks intriguing and could be had for nothing probably.
-Luc Mbah a Moute - great versatile defender that you guys really lack. vet min?
-Brandon Rush for the vet min?
-Alex Poythress, summer league guy who looked decent with us in his cup of tea last year.

Anyways, just spitballing here because I've been daydreaming about what Morey will do with this roster with basically no flexibility and few assets. Good luck to you guys and I hope you find a way to take down GS.

Maybe the Sixers could be the third team to get Melo to Houston?

Rockets get: Carmelo Anthony from Knicks
Sixers get: Ryan Anderson and Tim Quarterman and future first rounder (top 8 protected) from Rockets
Knicks get: Jahlil Okafor, Nik Stauskas, Jerryd Bayless from Sixers and Shawn Long from Rockets

http://basketball.realgm.com/tradechecker/saved_trade/6908525

I know the Sixers frontcourt is already pretty crowded with Ben, Dario, Joel, Richaun and the recently added Amir. Maybe Ben can start at guard like he wants to with Markelle, with JJ coming off the bench. Anderson and Redick would be a great shooting duo for the second unit even at $43 million a year combined.

Knicks might think Okafor (who was drafted 1 spot ahead of Porzingis) still has potential to turn into a solid post player. They wouldn't have to take on Anderson's contract to get rid of Melo.

Edit: The Rockets had Deandre Liggins (well they got his rights from Dallas for cash) and traded him to Clippers for Chris Paul.

Wasn't trying to suggest anything like this...we would have 0 interest in taking on Ryno's contract, let alone giving up assets to do so, lol.
Sam Hinkie wrote:The illusion of control is an opiate, though.
texasholdem
Lead Assistant
And1: 404

Post#122 » by texasholdem » Wed Jul 12, 2017 5:25 pm

DikembeFor3 wrote:
texasholdem wrote:
DikembeFor3 wrote:Sixers fan here, huge Morey fan. I think Melo would be an awesome fit as he'd get to play in off the ball Olympic Melo mode where he just spots up and scores super efficiently.

Regardless though, after the CP3 deal I'm assuming Morey's gonna need a handful of guys off the scrap heap to fill out this roster (especially if you guys give up Gordon and/or Anderson or someone else for Melo) and I'm really interested to see what he comes up with in his efforts to find some Robert Covington type diamonds in the rough. You already plucked Shawn Long from us which many of us over at the Sixers board were pissed about and think he is a real player. I like giving Uthoff a shot too. Outside of super under the radar Summer League guys he may be looking at I came up with a couple possibilities that could be had for pretty much nothing:

-Hollis Thompson (serviceable defensive wing, 39% career 3PT shooter)
-Thabo Sefolosha for the vet min?
-Deandre Liggins? good defensive wing, no idea why the Cavs waived him for Dahntay Jones
-Pat Connaughton from Portland looks intriguing and could be had for nothing probably.
-Luc Mbah a Moute - great versatile defender that you guys really lack. vet min?
-Brandon Rush for the vet min?
-Alex Poythress, summer league guy who looked decent with us in his cup of tea last year.

Anyways, just spitballing here because I've been daydreaming about what Morey will do with this roster with basically no flexibility and few assets. Good luck to you guys and I hope you find a way to take down GS.

Sixers get: Ryan Anderson and Tim Quarterman and future first rounder (top 8 protected) from Rockets
Knicks get: Jahlil Okafor, Nik Stauskas, Jerryd Bayless from Sixers and Shawn Long from Rockets

I know the Sixers frontcourt is already pretty crowded with Ben, Dario, Joel, Richaun and the recently added Amir. Maybe Ben can start at guard like he wants to with Markelle, with JJ coming off the bench. Anderson and Redick would be a great shooting duo for the second unit even at $43 million a year combined.

Knicks might think Okafor (who was drafted 1 spot ahead of Porzingis) still has potential to turn into a solid post player. They wouldn't have to take on Anderson's contract to get rid of Melo.

Edit: The Rockets had Deandre Liggins (well they got his rights from Dallas for cash) and traded him to Clippers for Chris Paul.

Wasn't trying to suggest anything like this...we would have 0 interest in taking on Ryno's contract, let alone giving up assets to do so, lol.

I wouldn't call Okafor, Stauskas or Bayless assets for you at this point. If anything, it would help clear your roster up some. You're sending out about the same amount of $ that Ryan would cost you this year. So that leaves about $41m the next two. Bayless costs $8.5m next year. Stauskas is expiring. Okafor has a team option that would probably get declined. Redick and Amir are both probably a one year rentals anyway.

Sixers can afford it.
Harden is still a work-in-progress. He can score, but he can't help his teammate that much - Yao Ming
aHealthy3
Rookie

Post#123 » by aHealthy3 » Wed Jul 12, 2017 5:31 pm

texasholdem wrote:
DikembeFor3 wrote:
texasholdem wrote:

I wouldn't call Okafor, Stauskas or Bayless assets for you at this point. If anything, it would help clear your roster up some.

Stauskas is an asset, and we like Bayless as a guard off the bench. Regardless, even if you don't consider them assets, Anderson's deal carries extreme negative value for us and we would need a lot more incentive to even consider taking it on.

We will have to pay Covington and Embiid soon and may pursue big FA names next summer. The deals going out are all moveable non consequential contracts. Anderson's 3/60 would be a major hindrance.
texasholdem
Lead Assistant

Post#124 » by texasholdem » Wed Jul 12, 2017 5:39 pm

DikembeFor3 wrote:
texasholdem wrote:
DikembeFor3 wrote:

I wouldn't call Okafor, Stauskas or Bayless assets for you at this point. If anything, it would help clear your roster up some.

Stauskas is an asset, and we like Bayless as a guard off the bench. Regardless, even if you don't consider them assets, Anderson's deal carries extreme negative value for us and we would need a lot more incentive to even consider taking it on.

Fultz and Simmons are gonna get Bayless and Stauskas playing time anyway, or should. You guys are only at $84m this year, which is the bare minimum payroll. Redick and Johnnson are only rentals anyway so even with Ryan next year you will have money to extend Covington and Embiid and still go after free agents.
Harden is still a work-in-progress. He can score, but he can't help his teammate that much - Yao Ming
aHealthy3
Rookie

Post#125 » by aHealthy3 » Wed Jul 12, 2017 5:43 pm

texasholdem wrote:
DikembeFor3 wrote:
texasholdem wrote:

Fultz and Simmons are gonna get Bayless and Stauskas playing time anyway, or should. You guys are only at $84m this year, which is the bare minimum payroll.

Read my above edit. Anderson's 3/60 on the books would be extremely restrictive to our flexibility going forward and we would need a major asset to have any incentive. No one in their right mind would do what you are suggesting.

Anyways, really just wanted to stop by here to see your guys' thoughts about filling out the rest of the roster, not try to explain why the 76ers don't want Ryan Anderson's contract. I'll bow out. GL this year.
texasholdem
Lead Assistant

Post#126 » by texasholdem » Wed Jul 12, 2017 5:57 pm

DikembeFor3 wrote:
texasholdem wrote:
DikembeFor3 wrote:

Fultz and Simmons are gonna get Bayless and Stauskas playing time anyway, or should. You guys are only at $84m this year, which is the bare minimum payroll.

Read my above edit. Anderson's 3/60 on the books would be extremely restrictive to our flexibility going forward and we would need a major asset to have any incentive. No one in their right mind would do what you are suggesting.

Anyways, really just wanted to stop by here to see your guys' thoughts about filling out the rest of the roster, not try to explain why the 76ers don't want Ryan Anderson's contract. I'll bow out. GL this year.

Your payroll next year is only $41m and that's with Okafor and Bayless at 14.8m vs Anderson's 20.4. "Flexibility" is not an issue for you guys even with Ryan. But whatever. Good luck to you too. And considering Embiid has played 31 games in 3 years I wouldn't be in a rush to give him a massive extension.
jetlife_
Junior
And1: 170

Post#127 » by jetlife_ » Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:29 pm

I'd love to have 21-year-old Jahlil "not an asset" Okafor on the Rockets, for what it's worth :laugh:
texasholdem
Lead Assistant

Post#128 » by texasholdem » Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:38 pm

jetlife_ wrote:I'd love to have 21-year-old Jahlil "not an asset" Okafor on the Rockets, for what it's worth :laugh:

I meant he wasn't an asset as a 3rd string center for Philly which he is right now behind Embiid and Holmes. I think he has potential to turn it around under the right situation. He's still just 21.
inquisitive
RealGM
And1: 2,844

Post#129 » by inquisitive » Sun Jul 16, 2017 3:24 pm

The main reason why Morey wants Melo so bad...getting Melo means Lebron is coming next year unless the Cavs win it all. Rockets getting CP3 has Lebron with one eye wide open, but also getting Melo will have his full attention.
KARD "You n Me " Mnet Countdown
www.youtube.com/watch?v=77b3zg3OhgI
PocketRockets
Pro Prospect
And1: 9

Post#130 » by PocketRockets » Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:24 pm

inquisitive wrote:The main reason why Morey wants Melo so bad...getting Melo means Lebron is coming next year unless the Cavs win it all. Rockets getting CP3 has Lebron with one eye wide open, but also getting Melo will have his full attention.

I don't see how we would make that work though. All the salaries at that point. I guess we would be in luxury tax hell for the awesome chance at a championship. And even then, only GSW would be any threat. We'd have better odds than the GSW at that point.
KGdaBom
RealGM
And1: 4,825

Post#131 » by KGdaBom » Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:38 pm

Wolves fan just came to congratulate you on getting Mbah a Moute for the vet minimum. He would've fit great with our team but chose you over us.
RaoulDuke79
RealGM
And1: 4,165

Post#132 » by RaoulDuke79 » Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:22 pm

I'm rather digging the versatility on defense now with Ariza/Tucker/Luc + Swiss Dream/Nene/Black.
We watched the tragedy unfold. We did as we were told, we bought and sold. It was the greatest show on Earth...but then it was over.
K_chile22
RealGM
And1: 7,935

Re: RE: Re: Rockets Off-Season Priorities 

Post#133 » by K_chile22 » Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:43 pm

RaoulDuke79 wrote:I'm rather digging the versatility on defense now with Ariza/Tucker/Luc + Swiss Dream/Nene/Black.

Going to be able to put together some mean all offense or all defense lineups late in games
texasholdem
Lead Assistant

Post#134 » by texasholdem » Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:45 pm

Does LMAM mean no Melo or maybe Ariza might be included to get Melo.
MaxRider
RealGM
And1: 5,805

Post#135 » by MaxRider » Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:03 am

texasholdem wrote:Does LMAM mean no Melo or maybe Ariza might be included to get Melo.

maybe
now we have too many SF/PF tweener
if we do end up with Melo
there won't be enough min for Ariza, Mbah a Moute, and Tucker
Tucker and Luc Mbah a Moute signed here because of CP3
so Ariza is the one most likely getting traded
K_chile22
RealGM

Post#136 » by K_chile22 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:39 am

texasholdem wrote:Does LMAM mean no Melo or maybe Ariza might be included to get Melo.

I don't think it means anything really. By far best value they could get for the minimum and doesn't affect Melo trade in any way
K_chile22
RealGM

Post#137 » by K_chile22 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:39 am

MaxRider wrote:

maybe

You can NEVER have too many wings in this generation of the NBA
MaxRider
RealGM
And1: 5,805

Post#138 » by MaxRider » Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:55 am

K_chile22 wrote:
MaxRider wrote:

maybe

too bad you can only play 5 at a time
K_chile22
RealGM

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Rockets Off-Season Priorities 

Post#139 » by K_chile22 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:22 am

MaxRider wrote:
K_chile22 wrote:
MaxRider wrote:
maybe

too bad you can only play 5 at a time

They can play two positions. All of Melo, LMAM, and Tucker are best as fours in the modern game, but can play plenty three. Four players around two positions isnt a problem in any way. I wouldn't, but in a pinch you can play one of Tucker/LMAM at the two. Positions are barely even relevant anymore.
HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 55,692

Post#140 » by HarthorneWingo » Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:18 am

PocketRockets wrote:
inquisitive wrote:The main reason why Morey wants Melo so bad...getting Melo means Lebron is coming next year unless the Cavs win it all. Rockets getting CP3 has Lebron with one eye wide open, but also getting Melo will have his full attention.

I don't see how we would make that work though. All the salaries at that point. I guess we would be in luxury tax hell for the awesome chance at a championship. And even then, only GSW would be any threat. We'd have better odds than the GSW at that point.

Melo has a player option for '18-'19. He could agree to not exercise it, become a free agent and then sign a contract that would allow Lebron to sign.

Return to Houston Rockets