ImageImage

Isaiah Hartenstein

Moderators: ken6199, TMU

K_chile22
RealGM
And1: 7,940

Re: RE: Re: Isaiah Hartenstein 

Post#21 » by K_chile22 » Tue Aug 1, 2017 1:51 am

Mr. E wrote:Interesting move. I like it.

But I guess that this counts against the cap?

No, as reported he's just going to be in the g league on a g league contract, he's not on the Rockets, but the Rockets have his rights. Doesn't sound like a two way

Much like Nadar for the Celtics last season, and Huestus for the Thunder. The Rockets won't want to give him a two way, because then he would be an UFA, not restricted, after three years instead of four, and his minimum will be more next year. Two way deals count towards years experience
styLesdavis
Rookie
And1: 605

Re: Isaiah Hartenstein 

Post#22 » by styLesdavis » Tue Sep 5, 2017 7:04 am

Are there any updates on Hartensteins situation with the rockets? Could it be possible
that he gets a 2-way-contract? He is currently at the european Championships with the
german national team and is making impressive plays in limited minutes.
K_chile22
RealGM

Re: RE: Re: Isaiah Hartenstein 

Post#23 » by K_chile22 » Tue Sep 5, 2017 1:28 pm

styLesdavis wrote:Are there any updates on Hartensteins situation with the rockets? Could it be possible
that he gets a 2-way-contract? He is currently at the european Championships with the
german national team and is making impressive plays in limited minutes.

He isn't getting a two way. He's going to do what Nadar did for the Celtics last season and play, stashed, with no hope of a call up, for the vipers this year, no rockets deal at all. No idea why, he won't get paid as much as Zalgiris, but it's good for the Rockets

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using RealGM mobile app
UcanUwill
RealGM
And1: 28,997

Post#24 » by UcanUwill » Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:31 pm

Overall, very productive year for Isaiah in G-league. He played limited minutes, but his production was really there.

18 points, 12.7 rebounds (5.4 OFF), 2.1 block per 36 minutes.

And his scoring was very efficient, I like that he plays inside, very good shot selection, unlike X Donatas Motiejunas, who I always hated. 57.1 FG%, almost 1 FTA per 2 FGA.

Very promising. What you guys thought of him?
MaxRider
RealGM
And1: 5,805

Post#25 » by MaxRider » Wed Apr 11, 2018 6:29 pm

never see him play so no comment

as long as he can set good screen, catch passes
he can find a place on this team
Mr. E
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,510
Location: Defending Planet Earth with a Jet-Pack & a Ray-Gun!

Post#26 » by Mr. E » Fri Apr 13, 2018 6:20 pm

I've got a feeling that this guy is being penciled in for a quality depth position on the team starting next season.
"A fanatic is one who can't change their mind and won't change the subject."
- Winston Churchill
TMU
Forum Mod - Rockets
Forum Mod - Rockets
And1: 10,411

Post#27 » by TMU » Sat Apr 14, 2018 2:09 am

Who?
RollingWave
Sixth Man
And1: 731

Post#28 » by RollingWave » Sun Apr 29, 2018 3:07 pm

UcanUwill wrote:Overall, very productive year for Isaiah in G-league. He played limited minutes, but his production was really there.

And his scoring was very efficient, I like that he plays inside, very good shot selection, unlike X Donatas Motiejunas, who I always hated. 57.1 FG%, almost 1 FTA per 2 FGA.

Saw a decent number of Vipers games this year and here's my take.

The overall theme is that it's weird because their two main prospects more or less play the same position, Zhou Qi and Hartenstein are both 4/5 type guys. This is made worse by that this team had way more playable bigs than wings in general, so they end up with a lot of two big lineups. This made it a bit hard to evaluate all of them because they're pretty obviously not playing the lineup their system wants to play. Also that most of the season they had a ball dominant wing in Troy Daniels and often didn't have much of a real point guard.

My general take on Hartenstein though.

His body is very well developed for his age, the opposite situation with Zhou Qi, it's clear he has good feel on the interior in terms of getting rebounds and put backs and general spacing. not an explosive athelete but certainly will punch right through smaller guys without problem. Ironically the DMO comp is silly but the actual comp I see is the OTHER Lithuanian big man in the NBA, Jonas Valanciunas, that's closer to the type of player he is (at least, on offense.). similar body type and game.

Although billed to be able to shoot 3s it's clear that if he's going to shoot 3s it's still quite a while away, although his percentage wasn't bad (35% ish) it was on an extremely low volume.

Experience is a real issue, it's hard to say if a guy's only getting less than 20 min in the G league hardly on a star studded team that he's ready. and they rarely started him and from watching the games he's usually running up against back ups in the G-League even more than likes of Zhou Qi.

My concern is that it's hard to see how his defense is right now in that setting. given age it's probably bad but it's hard to tell with the sample he has right now. at least he's a good rebounder. but what happens when he start going up against guys who's even faster and stronger is hard to known. The 3 is nowhere close to being an NBA weapon right now, he needs to work on that, at this point he's more of a old school rebound and putback guy.

But I think his built while doesn't have great ceiling does have a great floor, and I like the general motor and instinct I saw for him.

Zhou Qi is almost the opposite in every regard. his body is questionable, though he held up fine against G-League guys in general. I DON'T like his motor at all, he seem to be too passive to a fault. while sometimes not asking for the ball is a good thing in the NBA and it could be that guys just aren't passing him the ball enough, watching the games it doesn't seem like he's making enough moves to justify getting the ball that much more either.

Zhou Qi shot the 3 33%, but on a much higher volume. it's clear they're asking him to do that. and while not reliable he's taking them enough to make teams at least guard him out there. He didn't rebound well but as noted the team played 2 bigs most of the time and it's not obvious if he's just getting beasted out of boards or if it's because by default the team is asking the other big to go for the board more (a little bit of both. but it's clear he's not going to be a strong rebounder. though the question is can you live with it if he's asked to do that, we don't have much sample to see.)

Zhou Qi's PER was meh (around league average and probably slightly below for a big.) while Hartenstein was a bit better . but Zhou had a lot more flashes where you get why he could potentially be a weapon in the NBA. the level of blocks he get is clearly different than anyone else. and he's asked to defend on switches way more. IIRC he also had the best +/- among the bigs on the team. Of course that may also simply be due to him playing more with the starters.

Overall, Zhou Qi's floor seems worse, but it's easier to imagine a higher ceiling where he can play outside more, space the floor while really protect the rim. part of a really deadly small ball lineup. the role in an modern NBA is clear (see how the Bucks seem like a **** until they play Thon Maker at center then suddenly things look like it make sense.). the question is can he meet the floor of being able to rebound and hold up ok (and hit shots with a bit more reliability.)

But either way both of them are role players, we'll see if they can develop up to the point where they can fill those role.
The river of time wash away all heroes
UcanUwill
RealGM
And1: 28,997

Post#29 » by UcanUwill » Sun Apr 29, 2018 3:21 pm

RollingWave wrote:
UcanUwill wrote:Overall, very productive year for Isaiah in G-league. He played limited minutes, but his production was really there.

Saw a decent number of Vipers games this year and here's my take.

The overall theme is that it's weird because their two main prospects more or less play the same position, Zhou Qi and Hartenstein are both 4/5 type guys. This is made worse by that this team had way more playable bigs than wings in general, so they end up with a lot of two big lineups. This made it a bit hard to evaluate all of them because they're pretty obviously not playing the lineup their system wants to play. Also that most of the season they had a ball dominant wing in Troy Daniels and often didn't have much of a real point guard.

My general take on Hartenstein though.

His body is very well developed for his age, the opposite situation with Zhou Qi, it's clear he has good feel on the interior in terms of getting rebounds and put backs and general spacing. not an explosive athelete but certainly will punch right through smaller guys without problem. Ironically the DMO comp is silly but the actual comp I see is the OTHER Lithuanian big man in the NBA, Jonas Valanciunas, that's closer to the type of player he is (at least, on offense.). similar body type and game.

Although billed to be able to shoot 3s it's clear that if he's going to shoot 3s it's still quite a while away, although his percentage wasn't bad (35% ish) it was on an extremely low volume.

Experience is a real issue, it's hard to say if a guy's only getting less than 20 min in the G league hardly on a star studded team that he's ready. and they rarely started him and from watching the games he's usually running up against back ups in the G-League even more than likes of Zhou Qi.

My concern is that it's hard to see how his defense is right now in that setting. given age it's probably bad but it's hard to tell with the sample he has right now. at least he's a good rebounder. but what happens when he start going up against guys who's even faster and stronger is hard to known. The 3 is nowhere close to being an NBA weapon right now, he needs to work on that, at this point he's more of a old school rebound and putback guy.

But I think his built while doesn't have great ceiling does have a great floor, and I like the general motor and instinct I saw for him.

Zhou Qi is almost the opposite in every regard. his body is questionable, though he held up fine against G-League guys in general. I DON'T like his motor at all, he seem to be too passive to a fault. while sometimes not asking for the ball is a good thing in the NBA and it could be that guys just aren't passing him the ball enough, watching the games it doesn't seem like he's making enough moves to justify getting the ball that much more either.

Zhou Qi shot the 3 33%, but on a much higher volume. it's clear they're asking him to do that. and while not reliable he's taking them enough to make teams at least guard him out there. He didn't rebound well but as noted the team played 2 bigs most of the time and it's not obvious if he's just getting beasted out of boards or if it's because by default the team is asking the other big to go for the board more (a little bit of both. but it's clear he's not going to be a strong rebounder. though the question is can you live with it if he's asked to do that, we don't have much sample to see.)

Zhou Qi's PER was meh (around league average and probably slightly below for a big.) while Hartenstein was a bit better . but Zhou had a lot more flashes where you get why he could potentially be a weapon in the NBA. the level of blocks he get is clearly different than anyone else. and he's asked to defend on switches way more. IIRC he also had the best +/- among the bigs on the team. Of course that may also simply be due to him playing more with the starters.

Overall, Zhou Qi's floor seems worse, but it's easier to imagine a higher ceiling where he can play outside more, space the floor while really protect the rim. part of a really deadly small ball lineup. the role in an modern NBA is clear (see how the Bucks seem like a **** until they play Thon Maker at center then suddenly things look like it make sense.). the question is can he meet the floor of being able to rebound and hold up ok (and hit shots with a bit more reliability.)

But either way both of them are role players, we'll see if they can develop up to the point where they can fill those role.

I watched Isaiah granted against weak LKL competition, but I used to like his defense a lote. I am not sure how well he will be able to defend pick and roll, but when he is on an off ball guy, he is great, he is quick and covers a lot of ground at the same time and knows when to help. He is not Rudy Gobert type defender, but more of the Marc Gasol type from what I remember.
K_chile22
RealGM

Post#30 » by K_chile22 » Sun Apr 29, 2018 11:54 pm

He struggled bad at the beginning of the season but really found his groove. He needs to work on just being a garbage man (rebounding and finishing on the roll/dump offs) to establish a floor, then continue to work on his three point shot after he solidifies himself as an NBA level guy

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using RealGM mobile app
King Roosk
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 85

Post#31 » by King Roosk » Mon Apr 30, 2018 2:19 am

Haven’t seen anything from him other than G-League highlights but I wouldn’t be surprised if this guy never suits up in a Rockets uni

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums

Return to Houston Rockets