ImageImage

Zhou Qi: 2017 Edition

Moderators: ken6199, TMU

Mr. E
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,510
Location: Defending Planet Earth with a Jet-Pack & a Ray-Gun!

Zhou Qi: 2017 Edition 

Post#1 » by Mr. E » Fri Jun 30, 2017 6:59 pm

According to Feigen the Rockets may be interested in bringing Zhou Qi over as early as this off-season.

I'm assuming that he'll follow the Capela path and spend some time in McAllen with the Vipers. I know that the guy is raw; but I would like to see the organization take a more hands-on approach towards his development as an NBA player.
"A fanatic is one who can't change their mind and won't change the subject."
- Winston Churchill
MaxRider
RealGM
And1: 5,805

Re: Zhou Qi: 2017 Edition 

Post#2 » by MaxRider » Fri Jun 30, 2017 8:23 pm

Didn't Morey draft a 7 footer who is also skinny? I wouldn't call Zhou raw. He played in the China league for years. He got the skill. He is just too skinny to stay on the floor in the NBA.
RollingWave
Sixth Man
And1: 727

Post#3 » by RollingWave » Sat Jul 1, 2017 3:22 pm

Zhou's interesting, it's hard to say he's "raw" in the sense that his skill level seem to be pretty high and he's been playing pro ball in a league with plenty of ex-nba guys.

( i've seen most of his full games in last couple years. my take is mixed, his highlights are REALLY high and there's some really low lights and a lot of stuff that's hard to sort out due to context. )

He's a fairly rare bird stylistically, the most approximation of his game is a ( obviously very poor man's ) Anthony Davis / Kristaps Porzingis type of big who's fairly comfortable doing wing stuff while being really tall. in the CBA in general he hasn't been asked to carry the offense hardly at all and on Team China usually he's 3rd option at best as well but there are a lot of flashes of stuff where you wonder if maybe that's a mistake. but it seems maybe he just doesn't have that sort of alpha mentality anyway. and that's not what we're looking at anyway. but I can say with a fair bit of confidence that if he fails skill level is definitely not going to be the main problem.

( My general beef with him is that he seems very ginger / conservative most of the time. ) but his highlights are impressive.

( mid range off the dribble pull up j ? ok.)

(going left and finishing left )

( if nothing else he's shown he's pretty darn good in transition . definitely not a plodder. this alone probably get him some points for MDA. )

(he's not much of a low post threat outside of put backs and lobs, but he does have some pretty serious moves he can pull out every once in a while. )

( Here's another major point to his skill level, he's definitely a ref baiter. got a good deal of tricks up his bag already. )

( Here's probably one of the more fascinating component of his game, his ability to attack close outs and at times look totally unguardable going downhill. )

( He does have a jump shot and have consistently hit his free throws in the 70% ish but I feel ppl are overstating his current ability there in general, if you watch the games generally he either is feeling it and shoots a lot or he takes a couple that doesn't go in and don't try again the rest of the game. so he's not a reliable shooter at this point, especially if a team is gonna ask him to do 5 3 pointers a game running off a screen that probably won't go down too well right now. but the fundamental feel / touch seem to be above average (though I don't feel like he has a lot of spin on his shot and his mechanics is not very consistent. sometimes it's good sometimes it's awkward. ) , probably not going to be Ryan Anderson, but I dunno... maybe Brook Lopez ish down the line? though with his ability to attack close outs he just need guys to come out and respect it a little . )

He doesn't have a ton of passing highlights but watching the games in general I think he's certainly not a negative there, he's clearly aware of plays and where guys are going and keep his head up and sees open man. (obviously helps that he literally sees over everyone. ) but doesn't really throw spectacular passes or anything . however his team in the CBA does run some back door plays with him holding the ball in the high post.

( like this . )

I think my general conclusion is that there's almost no way he fails in the NBA because of offense . he's way too skilled in way too many area and this is a team that really exploit all these advantages well . on the other hand he's also not going to be a guy that drops 20+ every game either. he's not very consistent with his shot and generally just isn't aggressive often enough . but that's not what the Rockets need obviously. they need a guy that can do something with the ball and keep it moving, and everything I've seen from Zhou suggest he's likely going to be that sort of player.

It's the defensive end of the ball that's most fascinating. if his offense is high floor ok ceiling then his defense in the NBA is super high ceiling and super low floor. there's definitely a world where he's unplayable on defense and then there's a world he's a game changing defensive player.

( who the heck blocks a step back that cleanly and go all the way? I know the guy isn't exactly a NBA player but boy. )
( this is an impressive sequence of rotation and then defending a switch and staying with a guard laterally. the guard #55 in this play is Dominique Jones who was a first round pick in 2010. he was like 26 so it's not a case of old ex-NBA guys. granted Jones was horrendous in the NBA. but Zhou was like 19 during that season. )

Almost all non-injury bust scenario I can think off is him though is still simply not being able to defend, there's several issue , one is the most commonly noted weight issue though that part is probably overstated. there just isn't that many guys who pound it inside old school style these days and even against those guys Zhou's length shouldn't be underestimated. in the CBA they don't really lack big centers (many ex-NBA types like Sam Dalembert. ) he does get moved around but often he's still blocking them anyway. because at 7'2 7'6 wing span just getting SOME separation is often not enough. and he stays remarkably balanced in almost all situations.

The other aspect that's probably far more of a concern right now in the current NBA is that he has a highly inconsistent close out. there are times he stays low and put up huge highlights. and then there are times where he looks like a statue and gets blown by by not exactly the greatest athletes in the world. my current conclusion is that he simply doesn't consistently stay low on close outs, and when your 7'2 even if your just up a little bit it's hard to recover and move laterally.

( he also gives up way too easily at times. a general issue for him is effort level / motor. the problem is the context that he clearly seem to be holding back big time after his first CBA season to not get hurt. and his team is awesome anyway so he have legitimate reasons to just reduce risks. the problem is that would definitely have to change in the NBA. and especially if your going to be Chris Paul's teammate and not get your throat slit. )

There's certainly a pretty significant chance he just can't adjust to the higher level of overall athletes, and certainly a lot of lower outcome possibilities like a Shawn Bradley that is slightly more competent offensively. ( But Bradley is underrated defensively especially in his later career. )

At the end of the day even pro scouts can't say for sure, but there's certainly a lot of be intrigued by with Zhou.
The river of time wash away all heroes
K_chile22
RealGM
And1: 7,935

Post#4 » by K_chile22 » Sat Jul 1, 2017 4:11 pm

Thanks for that breakdown!

It's official, he's a Rocket
Read on Twitter
Mr. E
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#5 » by Mr. E » Sat Jul 1, 2017 5:27 pm

Welcome to the Houston Rockets, Zhou Qi!
- Winston Churchill
RollingWave
Sixth Man
And1: 727

Post#6 » by RollingWave » Thu Jul 6, 2017 5:44 am

Read on Twitter
The river of time wash away all heroes
willywazza
Bench Warmer
And1: 412

Post#7 » by willywazza » Sat Jul 8, 2017 7:19 am

Nice debut!
jinxed
Starter
And1: 1,298

Post#8 » by jinxed » Sat Jul 8, 2017 3:08 pm

I was very impressed with Zhou Qi
Check out my book! "The Awakened Ape :A Biohacker's Guide to Evolutionary Fitness, Natural Ecstasy, and Stress-Free Living"

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MSJN3Q4?ref_=pe_2427780_160035660
perempe20
Sixth Man
And1: 932

Post#9 » by perempe20 » Sun Jul 9, 2017 7:57 am

but he had a bad shooting night (0/6) against the Cavs.
Mr. E
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#10 » by Mr. E » Sun Jul 9, 2017 3:18 pm

I talked to a guy who watched the games in person. He's wondering if the longer & more intense NBA season will be an issue.

For those following his career, what is his typical schedule? How many games per week does he play? Is he doing a year-round schedule like Yao back in the day?
- Winston Churchill
K_chile22
RealGM
And1: 7,935

Re: RE: Re: Zhou Qi: 2017 Edition 

Post#11 » by K_chile22 » Sun Jul 9, 2017 3:18 pm

perempe20 wrote:but he had a bad shooting night (0/6) against the Cavs.

Yeah, never got involved in the offense. All of those were threes, most of which were at the end of the shot clock. Was awesome defending the rim though
moofs
General Manager
And1: 537
Location: "if the warriors win the title this season ill tattoo their logo in my di ck" -- 000001

Post#12 » by moofs » Sun Jul 9, 2017 5:25 pm

RollingWave wrote:Zhou's interesting, it's hard to say he's "raw" in the sense that his skill level seem to be pretty high and he's been playing pro ball in a league with plenty of ex-nba guys.

[...]

At the end of the day even pro scouts can't say for sure, but there's certainly a lot of be intrigued by with Zhou.

Fantastic post!
Morey 2020.

Q:How are they experts when they're always wrong?
A:Ask a stock market analyst or your financial advisor
Mr. E
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#13 » by Mr. E » Sun Jul 16, 2017 1:45 am

I haven't been able to watch a lot of Summer League.

What should I be thinking about Zhou being used as a PF? Is it just a size thing? Can he space the floor?

Tell me what to think, Rockets Forum!!!
- Winston Churchill
MaxRider
RealGM
And1: 5,805

Post#14 » by MaxRider » Sun Jul 16, 2017 6:46 am

Mr. E wrote:I haven't been able to watch a lot of Summer League.

What should I be thinking about Zhou being used as a PF? Is it just a size thing? Can he space the floor?

i only watched few clips from here and there
he has the size to play center
standing 7'2" and 7'8" wingspan and 9'4" standing reach is just awesome
problem now is his strength
too skinny and often lost position for rebound
i don't think he can even play backup PF right now
he has the 3pts range but not consistent enough
his 3pt% is awful after the first game
i think he will be send to Vipers
need to feed this kid steak everyday to beef up
hopefully he can crack some min 2 years later
inquisitive
RealGM
And1: 2,844

Post#15 » by inquisitive » Sun Jul 16, 2017 3:13 pm

MaxRider wrote:
Mr. E wrote:I haven't been able to watch a lot of Summer League.

i only watched few clips from here and there
he has the size to play center
standing 7'2" and 7'8" wingspan and 9'4" standing reach is just awesome
problem now is his strength
too skinny and often lost position for rebound
i don't think he can even play backup PF right now
he has the 3pts range but not consistent enough
his 3pt% is awful after the first game
i think he will be send to Vipers
need to feed this kid steak everyday to beef up
hopefully he can crack some min 2 years later

It's been a joy watching Zhou Qi highlights of Summer league. Him protecting the rim has been a surprise. Certainly, against teams with bigs like Spurs, he will get pushed around, but he will add more weight as time passes. His rebound and outlet passes to start the break are fun to watch. He should get more open 3s with CP3 and Harden now. MDA might give him quality min right away due to his length. He can be the PF right now...maybe C in a couple of years.
KARD "You n Me " Mnet Countdown
www.youtube.com/watch?v=77b3zg3OhgI
texasholdem
Lead Assistant
And1: 404

Post#16 » by texasholdem » Sun Jul 16, 2017 5:26 pm

He's already a much better NBA defender than Ryan Anderson. His shot mechanics look good even if they don't hit. I hope he actually stays with the main club instead of the whole year in RGV.
Harden is still a work-in-progress. He can score, but he can't help his teammate that much - Yao Ming

Return to Houston Rockets