ImageImage

Houston's Defensive Identity

Moderators: ken6199, TMU

Mr. E
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,510
Location: Defending Planet Earth with a Jet-Pack & a Ray-Gun!

Houston's Defensive Identity 

Post#1 » by Mr. E » Mon Jul 3, 2017 9:29 pm

I'm sure some jackass will come along and say "what defensive identity" and think that they are clever and original.

But defense is a key concern for this Rockets team. They have a good associate coach in Jeff Bzdelik who heads up the defensive side of the game, and it appears that this is a major area of focus for Houston's off season.

Losing Patrick Beverley hurts, but he is being replaced by his fellow guard from the 2016/2017 All-Defense Team in Chris Paul.

Nene is back and committed to the team, as is Trevor Ariza. Now they are bringing in P.J. Tucker and suddenly this team is looking like a squad who may be able to put the squeeze on some opponents.

Offense is clearly not a problem for this club; so now the question is if they can raise the defensive game.

2/100
"A fanatic is one who can't change their mind and won't change the subject."
- Winston Churchill
TMU
Forum Mod - Rockets
Forum Mod - Rockets
And1: 10,411

Re: Houston's Defensive Identity 

Post#2 » by TMU » Mon Jul 3, 2017 10:34 pm

:rofl: @ "Jackass"

I like PJ Tucker signing as he can guard multiple positions like Ariza does. I do think we need another interior presence as a starter or off the bench. I also think becoming a good rebounding team is more achievable than a good defensive team.
RaoulDuke79
RealGM
And1: 4,153

Post#3 » by RaoulDuke79 » Mon Jul 3, 2017 10:54 pm

TMU wrote::rofl: @ "Jackass"

I like PJ Tucker signing as he can guard multiple positions like Ariza does. I do think we need another interior presence as a starter or off the bench. I also think becoming a good rebounding team is more achievable than a good defensive team.

REBOUNDING! Oh, how I long for thee!

Maybe we can bring back Mr. Black, nobody has scooped him up since being waived by LA, right? His energy and rebounding could be a nice addition off the bench, especially on nights when Nene is limited(back-to-backs, etc) and when Swiss Dream is off the floor.
We watched the tragedy unfold. We did as we were told, we bought and sold. It was the greatest show on Earth...but then it was over.
TMU
Forum Mod - Rockets
Forum Mod - Rockets
And1: 10,411

Post#4 » by TMU » Mon Jul 3, 2017 11:09 pm

Swiss Dream? Is that Capela's new nickname? Has a sexy ring to it.
RaoulDuke79
RealGM
And1: 4,153

Post#5 » by RaoulDuke79 » Tue Jul 4, 2017 1:37 am

TMU wrote:Swiss Dream? Is that Capela's new nickname? Has a sexy ring to it.

I don't know why I started calling him that, I just think it's the tops.

Cue the Seinfeld music.
We watched the tragedy unfold. We did as we were told, we bought and sold. It was the greatest show on Earth...but then it was over.
Mr. E
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,510
Location: Defending Planet Earth with a Jet-Pack & a Ray-Gun!

Post#6 » by Mr. E » Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:52 pm

Adding Tucker & Mbah A Moute will probably go down as some of the more valuable signings of the off season in the NBA. Add in bringing back Nene on a great deal having Ariza and Capela with Paul picking up where Beverley left off gives Jeff Bzdelik a lot of good pieces to work with.

JVG has chimed in saying that Houston won't be as good offensively. I'm not sure if that will be accurate. Maybe not scoring as much, but I'm still seeing them as a top tier offensive team. What they may have done this off season is gone from a mediocre defensive team to a higher tier on the Western Conference.
"A fanatic is one who can't change their mind and won't change the subject."
- Winston Churchill
moofs
General Manager
And1: 537
Location: "if the warriors win the title this season ill tattoo their logo in my di ck" -- 000001

Post#7 » by moofs » Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:39 pm

RaoulDuke79 wrote:
TMU wrote::rofl: @ "Jackass"

REBOUNDING! Oh, how I long for thee!

Maybe we can bring back Mr. Black, nobody has scooped him up since being waived by LA, right? His energy and rebounding could be a nice addition off the bench, especially on nights when Nene is limited(back-to-backs, etc) and when Swiss Dream is off the floor.

You savant, you.
Morey 2020.

Q:How are they experts when they're always wrong?
A:Ask a stock market analyst or your financial advisor

Return to Houston Rockets