Rumors: Lebron to Houston?

Moderators: ken6199, TMU

King Roosk
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 85

Rumors: Lebron to Houston? 

Post#1 » by King Roosk » Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:37 am

I try to stay away from pipe-dream discussions, but in the last two days I've seen 5 articles from major outlets (USA Today, Fox Sports, Yahoo Sports, Bleacher Report, The Ringer) talking about the chances of Lebron coming to Houston. If I was Lebron then it'd be a no-brainer, but I'm clearly biased -- so it's beautiful to see major outlets putting this into the universe and lending credence to the idea of Houston becoming King's Landing. The BR article even goes as far as saying that NBA execs think it's a real possibility. If we keep playing like this, then the acquisition of CP3 may end up being more important than we anticipated. Or maybe this was Morey's long-play all along.

USA Today: https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nba/columnist/sam-amick/2017/12/09/houston-rockets-lebron-james-free-agency/937335001/

Fox Sports: https://www.foxsports.com/watch/the-herd-with-colin-cowherd/video/1114074691713

Yahoo Sports: https://sports.yahoo.com/exactly-houston-rockets-add-lebron-james-2018-184916896.html

Bleacher Report: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2748570-lebron-james-rumors-execs-believe-rockets-have-real-chance-to-sign-cavs-star

The Ringer: https://www.theringer.com/nba/2017/12/11/16760590/lebron-james-houston-rockets-free-agency

Thoughts?
RaoulDuke79
RealGM
And1: 4,164

Re: Rumors: Lebron to Houston? 

Post#2 » by RaoulDuke79 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:23 am

What a terrible fit that would be.

I'm sorry, I couldn't resist.

Anyways...could they make it happen while still re-signing Capela and Paul? Would losing guys like Splash Gordon/Spaceman/Tucker/etc in the process be worth it(yes, probably)? Depth is important but obviously it's Lebron we're talking about.

I'd be pretty shocked if it actually becomes a reality, but it's certainly intriguing. For right now though, I'm just going to enjoy the ride this team is on and worry about all that noise later.

Go Rockets.
We watched the tragedy unfold. We did as we were told, we bought and sold. It was the greatest show on Earth...but then it was over.
Mr. E
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,510
Location: Defending Planet Earth with a Jet-Pack & a Ray-Gun!

Post#3 » by Mr. E » Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:06 am

Terrible fit. There’s just one ball.

He should play for the Spurs.

Did I miss anything?

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
"A fanatic is one who can't change their mind and won't change the subject."
- Winston Churchill
King Roosk
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#4 » by King Roosk » Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:53 pm

Now Stephen A and Max Kellerman are talking about how great of a fit Lebron would be in Houston. National sports media hasn’t been kind to the Rockets over the years, but I gotta say, there seems to be a real nugget of truth to all of this.

Mr. E
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,510
Location: Defending Planet Earth with a Jet-Pack & a Ray-Gun!

Post#5 » by Mr. E » Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:37 pm

King Roosk wrote:Now Stephen A and Max Kellerman are talking about how great of a fit Lebron would be in Houston. National sports media hasn’t been kind to the Rockets over the years, but I gotta say, there seems to be a real nugget of truth to all of this.

Kind of shocking to hear those two saying anything positive about Houston.

LeBron knows branding like no one else. I can't help but think that he has his people floating something like this out there to test some reaction.
"A fanatic is one who can't change their mind and won't change the subject."
- Winston Churchill
BallerTalk
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,816

Post#6 » by BallerTalk » Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:44 pm

There's been a lot of chatter about how Lebron would/wouldn't fit and if the Rockets could even afford to acquire him.

But I think the real question is would he be comfortable joining a reigning champ. :wink:
You checkin' for the sound of the beast
I'm the hound, I'ma creep, I get down, I'ma eat
I'ma keep somethin' to lay a naysayer to sleep
-
King Roosk
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#7 » by King Roosk » Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:43 pm

Mr. E wrote:
King Roosk wrote:Now Stephen A and Max Kellerman are talking about how great of a fit Lebron would be in Houston. National sports media hasn’t been kind to the Rockets over the years, but I gotta say, there seems to be a real nugget of truth to all of this.

Kind of shocking to hear those two saying anything positive about Houston.

LeBron knows branding like no one else. I can't help but think that he has his people floating something like this out there to test some reaction.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if that's how this got started. If that's the case, then that means he's actually considering it, and that makes me smile. The media is eating it up too. Plus the Astros just won it all and we have Deshaun Watson, and everyone knows that Lebron likes to support other stars in his team's city. I can feel it in m'plums, boys.
moofs
General Manager
And1: 537
Location: "if the warriors win the title this season ill tattoo their logo in my di ck" -- 000001

Post#8 » by moofs » Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:51 pm

Honestly, if LeBron and Morey can swing it, they probably both should.
I just have the same questions Raoul has

RaoulDuke79 wrote:Anyways...could they make it happen while still re-signing Capela and Paul? Would losing guys like Splash Gordon/Spaceman/Tucker/etc in the process be worth it(yes, probably)? Depth is important but obviously it's Lebron we're talking about.

- What about depth?
- What about relying on TWO 34 year olds?
- What about depth AND relying on TWO 34 year olds, even if they're unquestionably the two greatest at their positions over the last 12+ years?
- Also we just lost a LOT of 3 point shooting to make this trade.
- He didn't mention Ariza
- What's the cap impact, particularly after next year, but also next year?

It'd be a huge shakeup, and on a likely 62+ win team, no less. I suppose what I'm trying to say though is...

Go Rockets.
Also, tits.
Morey 2020.

Q:How are they experts when they're always wrong?
A:Ask a stock market analyst or your financial advisor
King Roosk
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#9 » by King Roosk » Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:57 pm

moofs wrote:

Honestly, if LeBron and Morey can swing it, they probably both should.
I just have the same questions Raoul has

RaoulDuke79 wrote:Anyways...could they make it happen while still re-signing Capela and Paul? Would losing guys like Splash Gordon/Spaceman/Tucker/etc in the process be worth it(yes, probably)? Depth is important but obviously it's Lebron we're talking about.

- What about depth?
- What about relying on TWO 34 year olds?
- What about depth AND relying on TWO 34 year olds, even if they're unquestionably the two greatest at their positions over the last 12+ years?
- Also we just lost a LOT of 3 point shooting to make this trade.
- He didn't mention Ariza
- What's the cap impact, particularly after next year, but also next year?

It'd be a huge shakeup, and on a likely 62+ win team, no less. I suppose what I'm trying to say though is...

Go Rockets.
Also, tits.

I think it ultimately comes down to how we fare this year. If we win a championship, then blowing the team up for Lebron becomes a tougher proposition. But if we fall short, especially to Golden State (and especially in any relatively embarrassing way), then I think you've gotta do it. We would have to trade Ryan, which I'd be willing to do. We'd have to see if Luc would re-sign for cheap again. We'd likely retain PJ. Re-signing Capela probably wouldn't happen, and we'd have to find a way to keep at least one of EG and Ariza. But yo, if there's one guy out there who could pull off the wizardry required to make this work, it's Daryl Morey. And if you have a chance to add Lebron James to your squad, then you do it. Even if he's gonna be 33 by the time that happens.
Lazy Faizy
Veteran
And1: 1,906

Post#10 » by Lazy Faizy » Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:01 am

I'm with you guys, just trying to enjoy this season and see how far we can go. I'd take the rumors with a grain of salt though. Too many times in the past where people thought Lebron might go to the Knicks, Lakers or anywhere else and he chooses a destination that no one expected.

Houston would definitely make the most sense for him though, especially if we don't win a ring this year. Having one of the best PGs, best SG and best SF on the same team with an amazing offensive coach and a GM that has proven to fill out the roster quite well... Very intriguing.
K_chile22
RealGM
And1: 7,935

Post#11 » by K_chile22 » Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:06 am

Honestly if theres a shot at LeBron, anyone besides Harden and CP can hit the road. I love a lot of those guys, but it's LeBron freaking James
moofs
General Manager
And1: 537
Location: "if the warriors win the title this season ill tattoo their logo in my di ck" -- 000001

Post#12 » by moofs » Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:55 am

I still can’t believe that I live in a world where LeBron James is 33.
Morey 2020.

Q:How are they experts when they're always wrong?
A:Ask a stock market analyst or your financial advisor
jetlife_
Junior
And1: 170

Post#13 » by jetlife_ » Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:12 am

Personally, I don't want Lebron, especially if we have to blow up the team to get him.
Dedalus
Ballboy
And1: 2

Post#14 » by Dedalus » Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:34 am

I don't want James in any case.
Maybe I destroyed the game, or maybe you're just making excuses.
inquisitive
RealGM
And1: 2,844

Post#15 » by inquisitive » Thu Dec 14, 2017 3:57 pm

I just have to say that I have confidence Fertitta will not gut the team to get LeBron. The man will not be a cheap skate!
KARD "You n Me " Mnet Countdown
www.youtube.com/watch?v=77b3zg3OhgI

Return to Houston Rockets