ImageImage

Are people sleeping on the Rockets?

Moderators: ken6199, TMU

Lazy Faizy
Veteran
And1: 1,906

Are people sleeping on the Rockets? 

Post#1 » by Lazy Faizy » Tue Jul 16, 2019 4:29 pm

I think basketball fans are really dumb or maybe just impatient. They come to conclusions 3 months before the season has even started.

I feel like our team just added a new offensive dynamic to it. With Westbrook, we can change things up a bit. It doesn't have to be all threes, lay-ups and free throws. If Russ can shoot at a respectable rate from mid-range like he used to, and attack the rim with the ferocity like he always has, I feel like we can be one of the top teams in the league. He can also play great defense when he's motivated. Tyson Chandler was a decent pick up also if he can give us 10-15 minutes as the backup C.

Of course I'll admit, this could all go very wrong. But it's the first time Russ has had a real coach in the NBA. I don't necessarily trust MDA's rotations in the playoffs, but he has been known to maximize and bring out all his players' strengths on offense. I'm hoping that continues.
BallerTalk
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,816

Re: Are people sleeping on the Rockets? 

Post#2 » by BallerTalk » Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:44 pm

Isn't this like an annual thing now? :lol:

I think much of what you see in prognostications around here is what some people want to see more so than what they honestly think will happen.
Harden and Westbrook are two of the most polarizing players in the league today so it's not surprising that a number of people would love to see them fail. That's in addition to the usual shade from rival fan bases.

Plus, as you alluded to, there are some legit questions about how this will all work out.

Personally, I'm always mindful that most fans here don't follow the Rockets as closely as we do. So they don't know the distinct difference between last years team in November and December versus last years team from February through May. They see that the Rockets finished "fourth" last year and assume that's all there is.

They don't know how big having House under contract and with the team all season should be or how huge it is to be able to retain Austin Rivers.

And the thing I think is getting overlooked the most is that the Rockets were able to add a huge presence in Westbrook without losing many other crucial players in the process. That means (hopefully) they can avoid a lot of the issues that led to the disappointing start last season.

So yeah, there are plenty of signs that suggest the Rockets will again be one of the best teams in the league.
But I'm not at all surprised if some casuals and opposing fans don't get (or won't admit) that.
You checkin' for the sound of the beast
I'm the hound, I'ma creep, I get down, I'ma eat
I'ma keep somethin' to lay a naysayer to sleep
-
TMU
Forum Mod - Rockets
Forum Mod - Rockets
And1: 10,411

Post#3 » by TMU » Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:02 pm

The discussion of fit is back and the window is deemed closed. The hate has never been this strong.

I think the Rockets will compete for a top seed in the West. I predict no lower than the 3rd seed. This is going to be an interesting and an exciting year and the changes were made in response to not what's been going on in the locker room, but also to counter the narratives in the West. When Russell is on, he's absolutely one of the most exciting players to watch. Harden will be Harden, and the remainder of the roster is more or less the same. Our backcourt remains the best in the league. Sad to see CP3 go, but it is what it is.
Lazy Faizy
Veteran
And1: 1,906

Post#4 » by Lazy Faizy » Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:59 pm

BallerTalk wrote:Isn't this like an annual thing now? :lol:

I think much of what you see in prognostications around here is what some people want to see more so than what they honestly think will happen.
Harden and Westbrook are two of the most polarizing players in the league today so it's not surprising that a number of people would love to see them fail. That's in addition to the usual shade from rival fan bases.

Plus, as you alluded to, there are some legit questions about how this will all work out.

Personally, I'm always mindful that most fans here don't follow the Rockets as closely as we do. So they don't know the distinct difference between last years team in November and December versus last years team from February through May. They see that the Rockets finished "fourth" last year and assume that's all there is.

They don't know how big having House under contract and with the team all season should be or how huge it is to be able to retain Austin Rivers.

And the thing I think is getting overlooked the most is that the Rockets were able to add a huge presence in Westbrook without losing many other crucial players in the process. That means (hopefully) they can avoid a lot of the issues that led to the disappointing start last season.

So yeah, there are plenty of signs that suggest the Rockets will again be one of the best teams in the league.
But I'm not at all surprised if some casuals and opposing fans don't get (or won't admit) that.

I agree with all the points you made but especially the bolded part. I think people know that this could work and they're afraid that we now have two of the top 15 players in the league. Or at worst Russ is a top 20 player (he's actually closer to top 10 than 20 in my opinion). He's not necessarily better or worse than CP3, he's just different. He adds a different dynamic that this team hasn't seen in a while. He'll push the ball on fast breaks, attack the rim relentlessly in the half court, etc.

People want to see us fail, so they're saying that we'll fail, instead of looking at it objectively. MDA's resume speaks for itself when it comes to maximizing his players' offensive potential, and people are afraid that that'll happen with Russ as well.

Honestly though this is how I'd rather have it. Undersell and overproduce, instead of the other way around. I think we're gonna surprise a whole lot of people this upcoming season.
jwise44
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 9,341

Post#5 » by jwise44 » Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:42 am

Fit 3.7 and so on...

Only this time I think they’re right

But, god help me I’m trying to root for one of my least favorite players in the league...the only player I’ve disliked more than him was pau, and him, I wasn’t going to root for when he was traded here for a hot minute

Im gonna give Westbrook a chance
ken6199
Forum Mod - Rockets
Forum Mod - Rockets
And1: 18,557

Post#6 » by ken6199 » Wed Jul 17, 2019 3:27 am

I welcome all legit concerns and suggestions on the 2020 Houston Rockets but I can't give less of a **** on comments like, "they dont play D", "there is one ball". Lazy narratives like that is not even worth explaining. Just turn on EPSN and you get all those talks there. I watched 20+ years of basketball and I don't know there is one ball?

Rockets is Harden, so sleeping on the Rockets is equal to sleeping on Harden. Granted Harden is not built like a Kawhi type player who thrives in the biggest moments, but he has taken big strikes over the past few post seasons, and he IS much better a player than Kawhi in the regular season. As I've said many times already, Harden WILL further improve next year, with some new moves and offensive weapons. You can catch up to him. Copy his foul drawing. Copy his stepbacks, eurosteps, floaters. Some people copy, some lead. Harden is the type that always stays ahead of the curve.

Just hope for good health for this team. We always seemed to catch some timely injuries on players who were hitting the stride.
RealGM loves you, Melissa.
red96
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,380

Post#7 » by red96 » Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:36 pm

I just hope Tilman is willing to financialy compete with the top teams in the league. If he has Morey handcuffed, I'm not sure how much more talent the Rockets will be able to add besides vet minimum guys.
"Morey decided in 2007 that Steve Francis was to be the "franchise player" of the Rockets only to play what... 5 games? Morey didn't think Marc Gasol was worth a look that year,"
-baki "the Rockets fan"
BallerTalk
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,816

Post#8 » by BallerTalk » Sat Jul 27, 2019 1:13 am

I know the magnitude of this pairing has been dampened because much of the luster has come off Westbrook's star over the last two seasons.

Still it's pretty amazing that, with this duo, the Rockets have managed to put together

2 of the last 3 NBA MVPs
3 of the last NBA Assist leaders
4 of the last 5 NBA Scoring champions

...on the same team during the arc of their primes and without having to dismantle the roster to do it.

I like the energy around it.
Like Harden said, it should be FUN.

Read on Twitter

:nod:
You checkin' for the sound of the beast
I'm the hound, I'ma creep, I get down, I'ma eat
I'ma keep somethin' to lay a naysayer to sleep
-
YoungMoney23
Starter
And1: 138

Post#9 » by YoungMoney23 » Mon Jul 29, 2019 7:26 am

I know he's retired but I'd love to see Rick Adelman coach this team. His Sacramento teams had killer ball movement and thats what I feel this team needs to really succeed
A Blog on the unsolved - http://coldcasefiles.wordpress.com/
LewisnotMiller
Analyst
And1: 3,230

Post#10 » by LewisnotMiller » Fri Aug 2, 2019 5:55 am

As an outsider...yes, I think people are sleeping on you guys.

I see a team with some significant issues and difficulties to work through, but...and to me this is key...the same can be said about the other contenders.

Unlike recent years there isn't a clear tier one contender who stands above all others (on paper).
One of the somewhat flawed, but talented teams is going to figure it out (maybe a couple). You guys are in that mix.

Lack of future assets, possible issues with ownership in terms of spending, and synergy between coach, ownership and FO are more problematic than anything else to my mind (if looking at a three year window).
BigRedDog
Junior
And1: 240

Post#11 » by BigRedDog » Sun Aug 4, 2019 4:34 am

Love watching Harden...and have been rooting for the rockets hard these last ~3 years to take down GSW... so not a hater whatsoever... even bought a 1974 hardwood classics Rockets jacket that i get so many compliments on everytime i wear it i feel like a celebrity or something.

But i just have a bad feeling about this westbrook pairing. Im willing to watch it play out.. but man... he's like one of the worst players in the league to watch... and i feel like they're just gonna alternate possessions except westbrook is one of the worst players in the league without the ball.. just worthless...

I feel like your transition game will be much better... but you'll pay pretty dearly in the halfcourt offensively... and the Rockets role players/depth has aged or left town over the last few years...

That said we literally have no idea how they will match up against the new contenders like LAC, Philly, LAL, etc so i dont want to count HOU out yet.

Morey is creative but it doesnt feel like he has many assets or ways to improve the roster midseason though. He needs to find you one more guy who can play in the rotation i think in order to be competitive for the title. Mayeb he's already done that and i just dont know about it yet. He's good at that sort of thing
ken6199
Forum Mod - Rockets
Forum Mod - Rockets
And1: 18,557

Post#12 » by ken6199 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 12:34 pm

BigRedDog wrote:Love watching Harden...and have been rooting for the rockets hard these last ~3 years to take down GSW... so not a hater whatsoever... even bought a 1974 hardwood classics Rockets jacket that i get so many compliments on everytime i wear it i feel like a celebrity or something.

But i just have a bad feeling about this westbrook pairing. Im willing to watch it play out.. but man... he's like one of the worst players in the league to watch... and i feel like they're just gonna alternate possessions except westbrook is one of the worst players in the league without the ball.. just worthless...

I feel like your transition game will be much better... but you'll pay pretty dearly in the halfcourt offensively... and the Rockets role players/depth has aged or left town over the last few years...

That said we literally have no idea how they will match up against the new contenders like LAC, Philly, LAL, etc so i dont want to count HOU out yet.

Morey is creative but it doesnt feel like he has many assets or ways to improve the roster midseason though. He needs to find you one more guy who can play in the rotation i think in order to be competitive for the title. Mayeb he's already done that and i just dont know about it yet. He's good at that sort of thing

I would first hold on calling LAC and LAL contenders. LAC will be missing Paul George from the get go, and all signs point to Kawhi still needing a big time load management or at least that's his preferred way of going - cruise in the regular season, and go MJ mode in the post season. And who is going to be LAC's offense initiator? It won't be PG, and Kawhi is bad at this. Beverly? Shamet?Lou? LAL, I have to see it with my own eyes to be convinced what they are building is working. I am not buying into Kuzma as the 3rd star yet - dude outlasted Ball and Ingram because he is the worst of the 3 and NOLA simply preferred the other two over him. He stayed in LA not because he is not good enough. His biggest value is he is on a peanut contract, and when LAL is forced to go small with AD at the 5, how are Kuzma and LeBron co-exist? Can they both stay on the court, for defensive purpose?

At this point I am actually more worried about Utah and Denver than LAL/LAC. Way too much hype on the latter two from the pro-LA media.

Morey can't do much this year that's for sure. The stingy ass owner is trying to save money, and Morey works for him. Our only hope hinges on Harden not only staying robust healthy but also being a better player than his 18-19 version of himself. I think he can. Our only trade asset will be Gordon, which I think they will overplay him and jack up his trade value before Feb and swap him for a wing, someone like Robert Covington if Minny isn't doing too well at that time.

As to Westbrook, like you said nobody knows how it's going to work. I foresee a strong rebound + fast pace push out game from him to blend into Harden's drible-mismatch-attack stationary and one dimensional offense. Capela got his contract, so likely he won't be crying over boxing out for Westbrook and losing a rebound or two per game. Westbrook will be surrounded by shooters and that's something he has never had in his career up to this point. Let's see if that can bring the best out of him.
RealGM loves you, Melissa.
Meatcookie
Rookie
And1: 219

Post#13 » by Meatcookie » Mon Aug 19, 2019 4:57 pm

red96 wrote:I just hope Tilman is willing to financial compete with the top teams in the league. If he has Morey handcuffed, I'm not sure how much more talent the Rockets will be able to add besides vet minimum guys.

https://hoopshype.com/salaries/
red96
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,380

Post#14 » by red96 » Tue Aug 20, 2019 12:31 pm

Meatcookie wrote:
red96 wrote:I just hope Tilman is willing to financial compete with the top teams in the league. If he has Morey handcuffed, I'm not sure how much more talent the Rockets will be able to add besides vet minimum guys.

https://hoopshype.com/salaries/
That isn't accurate. It hasn't been fully updated. Kawhi isn't even shown on LAC. I stopped looking at hoopshype a while ago. There are more accurate sites out there like sporttrac, ECT.
"Morey decided in 2007 that Steve Francis was to be the "franchise player" of the Rockets only to play what... 5 games? Morey didn't think Marc Gasol was worth a look that year,"
-baki "the Rockets fan"

Return to Houston Rockets