ImageImage

Rockets in Hollinger Duncan ranking of Organizations

Moderators: ken6199, TMU

scrabbarista
RealGM
And1: 13,703

Rockets in Hollinger Duncan ranking of Organizations 

Post#1 » by scrabbarista » Tue Nov 19, 2019 12:03 am

The Hollinger Duncan podcast recently did a two-part pod ranking every NBA organization into tiers.

Hollinger, fresh off of a seven year stint in Memphis' front office, put TOR, LAC, and SAS in his top tier. He said he would have put Houston in his top tier, but for one reason and one reason only, he moved them into the third tier: Tilman Fertitta.

Duncan had a slightly different top tier, but he also didn't include Houston.

They both knocked Fertitta's reluctance to spend on a bench and said that Morey has clearly been operating differently since Fertitta arrived. They also surmised that Morey isn't long for the franchise and has probably seen the writing on the wall since Fertitta first arrived.

One very interesting tidbit that came out, from Duncan, was that, IIRC, the mural in Toyota Center - outside of the locker room or somewhere in the tunnels - features Fertitta's image more prominently than even James Harden's.

I can't confirm, but this may have been the image in question.

Definitely consistent with everything we know about Fertitta so far. He seems to be an attention hog, as indicated by his now infamous book, titled Shut Up and Listen!, and many of his public appearances and statements.

They also mentioned the fact that he has restructured Westbrook's contract to increase cash flow, which they said was virtually unprecedented and a very, very bad sign.

I'm not ready to straight up call him a "bad owner" yet, but most signs from Fertitta have tended toward the negative so far. I definitely give him props for keeping Morey on so far in spite of pressure from Chinese Communist Party surrogates. Still, I can't help but wonder if the real motivation for keeping Morey was the fact that he signed a five year extension earlier this year. Maybe Fertitta would have gladly cut ties if not for the money he owes Morey.

For now, I still want to give him every benefit of the doubt, but the doubts seem to be rising.
The man who sleeps on the bed can never fall out of the floor... Winnie the Pooh

Return to Houston Rockets