ImageImage

Rockets vs. Celtics

Moderators: ken6199, TMU

PurpleTestament
Rookie
And1: 0

Post#21 » by PurpleTestament » Wed Jan 2, 2008 4:29 pm

Yao Ming is going to plunder, murder, capture, cut, bite, scratch, head butt, clothesline, suplex, powerbomb, super kick, stunner, Rock Botom, Chokeslam and serve Boston an ass dropping not seen previously since we dusted off Philly for 50.

ROCKS FTW!!!! ROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRR!!!
"The horror... the horror."
jove9
Starter
And1: 159

Post#22 » by jove9 » Wed Jan 2, 2008 5:44 pm

This thread should have a poll so we can predict the amount by which the rockets lose.
Man_Up
Senior
And1: 1

Post#23 » by Man_Up » Wed Jan 2, 2008 6:00 pm

I think you guys are jinxing my C's. You keep saying it as if the games already set. I still think the C's win, but you never know.
Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...
compucomp
Banned User

Post#24 » by compucomp » Wed Jan 2, 2008 7:32 pm

Tonight we will see what we are missing when we lost Tom Thibodeau. We had arguably the best D in the league last year and that was with teams repeatedly getting Yao in P&R situations where he is weakest. Now the C's have the same defense, and they have KG instead. Not only that, JVG and Thibodeau made Yao a 25 ppg scorer who is the best post player in the NBA.

Now with the incompetent loser Adelman we see porous and lazy defense, and in the name of "motion" Adelman has brought Yao to the elbow and doesn't have the team get him the ball. Is it a surprise that Yao is having a down year? It shouldn't be. Adelman is ruining Yao and he has led a 52 win team with added talent straight towards the lottery. Hiring him has set the franchise back for years, unless they staunch the wound and fire his ass ASAP.
BaYBaller
Veteran
And1: 116

Post#25 » by BaYBaller » Wed Jan 2, 2008 8:25 pm

Hou did not have the best defense last year no matter how you slice it, it's not arguable.

I actually want Yao on KG this game. Morey pointed out Hayes can't guard KG and he's right. This is going to be one of the keys to the game.

I just want to see if the offense can hold up to Boston's defense. They are the best defense so far this season and shut down the Lakers who run a very prolific offense.
compucomp
Banned User

Post#26 » by compucomp » Wed Jan 2, 2008 8:32 pm

BaYBaller wrote:Hou did not have the best defense last year no matter how you slice it, it's not arguable.

I actually want Yao on KG this game. Morey pointed out Hayes can't guard KG and he's right. This is going to be one of the keys to the game.

I just want to see if the offense can hold up to Boston's defense. They are the best defense so far this season and shut down the Lakers who run a very prolific offense.

We were first in effective FG% allowed and within .5 of the lead in defensive efficiency, that is points allowed per 100 possessions, and held down the defensive rebounds at the best percentage in the league. All of these are crucial defensive categories. So I'd say we can argue we had the best defense in the league last year.

Yao on KG would be like putting Yao on Boozer except even worse. KG's perimeter game and quickness are better than most guards.

If the offense would just give Yao the ball in the low post and let him go to work it would be a lot smoother.
MaxRider
RealGM
And1: 5,805

Post#27 » by MaxRider » Wed Jan 2, 2008 8:56 pm

sad
but last season our best defender on KG is actually Howard
jove9
Starter

Post#28 » by jove9 » Wed Jan 2, 2008 9:27 pm

compucomp wrote:Now with the incompetent loser Adelman we see porous and lazy defense, and in the name of "motion" Adelman has brought Yao to the elbow and doesn't have the team get him the ball. Is it a surprise that Yao is having a down year? It shouldn't be. Adelman is ruining Yao and he has led a 52 win team with added talent straight towards the lottery. Hiring him has set the franchise back for years, unless they staunch the wound and fire his ass ASAP.

According to Morey, last year we had the 3rd best defense. This year we have the 4th. Check out his interview in the thread by Rocketsterps.

Yao is averaging 20 and almost 11. How is that a "down year"?

Adelman ruining Yao and setting the franchise back for years? Now you're being ridiculous.
jove9
Starter

Post#29 » by jove9 » Wed Jan 2, 2008 9:31 pm

compucomp wrote:KG's perimeter game and quickness are better than most guards.

:o :crazy:

compucomp wrote:If the offense would just give Yao the ball in the low post and let him go to work it would be a lot smoother.

The trick there, obviously, is to get the opposing team to stop double and triple teaming Yao so that we CAN get him the ball. Of course, opposing teams wouldn't do this if Yao were indeed having a "down year."
BaYBaller
Veteran
And1: 116

Post#30 » by BaYBaller » Wed Jan 2, 2008 9:42 pm

The concern for me is keeping KG off the glass. And the comment about KG's perimeter game... :roll:

I don't think Yao is having a down year at all. Statistics-wise sure because I don't believe he gets as many touches and he's getting adjusted to a new offense. He's about the same as last year in terms of quality of play. Of course some people only seem to be concerned about Yao's stats...
compucomp
Banned User

Post#31 » by compucomp » Wed Jan 2, 2008 9:42 pm

@jove9

Yao is shooting a career low in FG%. His ppg are down, yet his minutes are up. His PER is at its worst since his first season. Essentially he is producing less in more minutes. This not what we want to see. As a fan of Yao I am extraordinarily disappointed by Yao's play this year. This is arguably the worst season of his career, given that he was coming off a 25 ppg season and that he has improved steadily his whole career. Adelman's scheme has put him at the triple threat position, where he fails at all three aspects of the triple threat, and in the name of "motion" has gotten rid of the repost and gotten the team away from consistently feeding him. Therefore he can't get into a rhythm in the low post. Again, is it surprising that this is a lost season for Yao? It shouldn't be, and it is the fault of Adelman's coaching.

KG's strength is that he can take the smaller guys inside and shoot over them, and he can take the bigger buys outside and beat them with his perimeter game. His perimeter game is excellent and he has the quickness of a guard. He can play SG/SF with little problems, hell he can even play PG. He is quicker than Boozer and has a better jumper than Boozer. Yao cannot guard him. The best hope is either Scola or Hayes but both are very flawed defenders for this matchup.

If you think our D is as good or even close to what it was last year, you're crazy, and Morey is crazy to think so.
jove9
Starter

Post#32 » by jove9 » Wed Jan 2, 2008 9:48 pm

I know KG's game. No need to explain it to me. It's just that his perimeter game is NOT "better than most guards."

Let's just say that you were exaggerating for effect.
compucomp
Banned User

Post#33 » by compucomp » Wed Jan 2, 2008 9:51 pm

jove9 wrote:I know KG's game. No need to explain it to me. It's just that his perimeter game is NOT "better than most guards."

Let's just say that you were exaggerating for effect.

He can play all 5 positions; I saw him play a fine PG when Sam Cassell went down in the WCF. Most guards do not have his footwork, handles, jumper, and court vision. He doesn't have three point range but he doesn't need it.
hickfromfrenchlick
General Manager
And1: 9,125

Post#34 » by hickfromfrenchlick » Wed Jan 2, 2008 10:32 pm

Fair posts in this thread.

Just wanted to respond to the guy who listed all of our supposed wins over Western Conference opponents. You left out the 26-point beatdown (it wasn't that close) we put on the Nuggets.

And to the people laughing about the comment about KG's perimeter skills, nobody (intelligent) would argue that he can handle the ball better than a guard. BUT, if I had to choose someone to hit a 17-18 foot jumper to save my life, I'd pick KG. He's got it down, and because of his height, reach and vertical, it's unblockable. (At least against anyone under 7'5".) So as far as that part of the perimeter game, KG's among the best.
Baller 24
RealGM
And1: 18

Post#35 » by Baller 24 » Wed Jan 2, 2008 11:15 pm

http://realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/ ... t_rockets/
Celtics' Rondo To Play Against Rockets

OH **** NOW IM EVEN MORE SCARED, RONDO IS PLAYING!!!
dockingsched wrote: the biggest loss of the off-season for the lakers was earl clark
greenbeans
RealGM
And1: 14,099

Post#36 » by greenbeans » Wed Jan 2, 2008 11:24 pm

does brooks get run down there? im an oregon fan but havent been keeping up with em
compucomp
Banned User

Post#37 » by compucomp » Wed Jan 2, 2008 11:31 pm

greenbeans wrote:does brooks get run down there? im an oregon fan but havent been keeping up with em

About 6-7 games ago Adelman gave him a chance to play and he has shown some promise that he can be a solid contributor. He and Luther Head have taken the place of Mike James and Francis of backup guards.
greenbeans
RealGM
And1: 14,099

Post#38 » by greenbeans » Wed Jan 2, 2008 11:36 pm

compucomp wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

About 6-7 games ago Adelman gave him a chance to play and he has shown some promise that he can be a solid contributor. He and Luther Head have taken the place of Mike James and Francis of backup guards.

money well spent eh? i thought mike james would flourish down there, i liked him in his time here but who knows, maybe hell turn it around, when is his contract year??
Baller 24
RealGM

Post#39 » by Baller 24 » Thu Jan 3, 2008 12:43 am

TIMACMANIA you know what to say:

**** THE CELTICS!
dockingsched wrote: the biggest loss of the off-season for the lakers was earl clark
Baller 24
RealGM

Post#40 » by Baller 24 » Thu Jan 3, 2008 12:47 am

Yao needs to shake Perkins off, or his shot won't fall.

Return to Houston Rockets