ImageImage

Yao, Rockets and the refs

Moderators: ken6199, TMU

McTracy
Rookie
And1: 0

Yao, Rockets and the refs 

Post#1 » by McTracy » Sat Jan 26, 2008 10:00 pm

It's obvious the refs really do not like Rockets' team, players. Just watch one of past 2 games. You know, I'm just gettin' a little bit tired of the jobe that the refs have been doin'.

Yao has been grabbed, reached - no calls, more Yao even has been called for offensive fouls past two games.

McGrady has not been gettin' any calls on his drives.

A lot of lose ball fouls on us. Opponents have been just grabbin' us and it has still been Rockets' fouls.

Refs have been doin' awful job, you should notice that. On the defensive end it has been all about FLOPS. You just need to reach the guy and than just fall down. It's just hilarious. I remember last night's call. Przybilla just pushed Yao with his elbow and he just did fall down - foul on Yao ( he didn't even touch him). The same situation with Landry and Thomas against Sonics on Wensday.

I don't know, maybe we should do somethin' cause big part of all those calls have been a big mistakes. But it's good we can win, even with refs against us.

What do you think?
IT'S TIME
TMACFORMVP
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 161

Post#2 » by TMACFORMVP » Sat Jan 26, 2008 10:43 pm

Is that all you do, complain about the refs lol?

Sure we've had some calls not go our way, but it happens and we've had calls that have gone our way. It's the name of the game. None of the calls really affected the game that much.

I agree that Yao does get beat up too much though, but that's been a problem his whole career with the refs.
CJballa14
Pro Prospect

Post#3 » by CJballa14 » Sat Jan 26, 2008 10:45 pm

Refs dont lose you games... Theres always something you can look back on and say "hey if we didnt turn the ball over here" or "if we would have made that stop."

Do we get back calls sometime? yes...but thats part of the game. Very Very rarely will a ref make a call that ultimately decides the game.
Yao Ming Fan boys annoy me...
Tracy McGrady fan boys annoy me...
Steve Francis fan boys annoy me...
GO ROCKETS!
compucomp
Banned User

Post#4 » by compucomp » Sat Jan 26, 2008 10:55 pm

The Portland game was bad for Yao, but occasionally the refs do get it right, like the Seattle games. Yao blasts Thomas and sends him out of the game with a bloody nose, no foul. Collison falls to the floor, no call, Yao gets a dunk. Collison grabs Yao and then flops, foul on Collison. The only offensive foul they called on Yao during those games was legit IMO; Yao almost took Collison's head off with his arm.

If the refs would always treat Yao like they did in the two Seattle games, he would be fine.
Iggyemu
RealGM

Post#5 » by Iggyemu » Sat Jan 26, 2008 11:22 pm

Look at it this way. Portland got all the calls last night and still lost. The game poorly reffed but it wasn't until we started to take control and attack them that we started getting calls. We got all the favorable calls down the stretch b/c we went at them hard and never let up. Its a mindset. The officials do a very poor job on Yao but its very inconsistent in what they and its the reason for his frustration. Sometimes they whistle him for a foul and sometimes they don't...both times with him doing the exact same thing. That inconsistent reffing of Yao is the reason I am pissed. How is the guy supposed to know which is right if you call it both ways? I think more than anything thats the reason Yao has been pissed as the officiating moreso this season.
"One Ring makes a Champion......Six Rings make a Legend" - Michael Jeffrey Jordan
jzmagik
Banned User

Post#6 » by jzmagik » Sat Jan 26, 2008 11:35 pm

Iggyemu wrote:Look at it this way. Portland got all the calls last night and still lost. The game poorly reffed but it wasn't until we started to take control and attack them that we started getting calls. We got all the favorable calls down the stretch b/c we went at them hard and never let up. Its a mindset. The officials do a very poor job on Yao but its very inconsistent in what they and its the reason for his frustration. Sometimes they whistle him for a foul and sometimes they don't...both times with him doing the exact same thing. That inconsistent reffing of Yao is the reason I am pissed. How is the guy supposed to know which is right if you call it both ways? I think more than anything thats the reason Yao has been pissed as the officiating moreso this season.

I'm worried if the inconsistent calls will alter his game in the long term, for example shying away from contact to avoid fouling.
BaYBaller
Veteran
And1: 116

Post#7 » by BaYBaller » Sat Jan 26, 2008 11:37 pm

Iggyemu wrote:Look at it this way. Portland got all the calls last night and still lost. The game poorly reffed but it wasn't until we started to take control and attack them that we started getting calls. We got all the favorable calls down the stretch b/c we went at them hard and never let up. Its a mindset. The officials do a very poor job on Yao but its very inconsistent in what they and its the reason for his frustration. Sometimes they whistle him for a foul and sometimes they don't...both times with him doing the exact same thing. That inconsistent reffing of Yao is the reason I am pissed. How is the guy supposed to know which is right if you call it both ways? I think more than anything thats the reason Yao has been pissed as the officiating moreso this season.

Game to game the reffing is inconsistent, that much is obvious. But usually refs set the tone early. If they make ticky tack calls early they'll probably make those calls all game, and same if they let stuff slide. Yao needs to learn how to notice the trend early and adjust accordingly.
rockybalboa11
Bench Warmer

Post#8 » by rockybalboa11 » Sun Jan 27, 2008 2:36 am

i thought yao was legitimately in foul trouble against the blazers

it was his fault w/o a doubt

loose ball after he missed the hook
jumped forward into roy

etc.
GOAT_Marbury wrote:Nelly, Fonzworth Bentley and Urkel had a sex party.... D Wade was the result
DreamShook34
Lead Assistant
And1: 6

Post#9 » by DreamShook34 » Sun Jan 27, 2008 2:51 am

rockybalboa11 wrote:i thought yao was legitimately in foul trouble against the blazers

it was his fault w/o a doubt

loose ball after he missed the hook
jumped forward into roy

etc.

lol what about the Phantom call when Martell Webster was driving to the hoop? on that 1 on 1 fast break. Yao let him go and didn't touch him after that. FOUL. What about when Prysbilla grabbed Yao then fell to the ground? FOUL. thats 2 bad calls right there..which changed the game..there was another call against someone. i think we had the ball with a chance to tie and they said the driving Rocket player stepped on the line. replay shows that he was no where near the line.. it was a really bad officiated game "w/o a doubt"

I don't think you were watching the same game we were. But I'm kinda glad Yao got in foul trouble. our rookies really lead us to a great win
rockybalboa11
Bench Warmer

Post#10 » by rockybalboa11 » Sun Jan 27, 2008 2:58 am

to an extent you are correct

but yao made some bad choices towards the end there that had him sitting on the bench
GOAT_Marbury wrote:Nelly, Fonzworth Bentley and Urkel had a sex party.... D Wade was the result
Secret Lover14
Sixth Man
And1: 2,419

Post#11 » by Secret Lover14 » Sun Jan 27, 2008 5:26 am

FACT - every fan thinks the refs hate their team
McTracy
Rookie

Post#12 » by McTracy » Sun Jan 27, 2008 11:08 am

Secret Lover14 wrote:FACT - every fan thinks the refs hate their team

Well maybe, but you saw Portland or Sonics game. The refs were really hurtin' Yao.
IT'S TIME
hackle
Starter

Post#13 » by hackle » Tue Jan 29, 2008 2:09 am

do you guys still recall the last game against the suns, when nash dribbled and zigzagged to the front court, and possibly he was a bit too fast even for himself, he bumped into the static, still Yao ming in a very clumsy way and he felt. i didnt think he expected any call himself, if he did he is so pathetic. but then the ref just gave him the favor and called a foul on yao. that was the cheapest call ever.

but wait, cunning guards like roy, deron williams, chris paul, parker, ginobili etc would always try to drive to the rim and bump into the big guys. now the big guys would either stand still to withstand, or when the hit is a little too much, they would fall. but either way the guards always gets a call.

this is not just hurting the big guys, or the games, it's actually hurting american basketball. look at how they played in the int'l games, going inside try to get illusional calls, but sorry dude, no such thing in real ball games.
Chinese lesson:
How to say "Los Angeles Lakers" in Chinese?
Success is the only mudervuccen option and failure is not.
http://www.wordteller.cn/
hackle
Starter

Post#14 » by hackle » Tue Jan 29, 2008 2:14 am

now if Yao is playing Shaq or duncun, or howard, he'd get some real matchup, no flop from these guys. because Shap and duncun have just got some respect, for themselves and so for yao, Shaq wouldnt even appreciate any attempt from his teammates to get yao cheap fouls, he's just got some ego. under these circumstances yao always stands a great chance to outplayed them.
Chinese lesson:
How to say "Los Angeles Lakers" in Chinese?
Success is the only mudervuccen option and failure is not.
http://www.wordteller.cn/
CuttingEdge
Banned User

Post#15 » by CuttingEdge » Tue Jan 29, 2008 5:41 pm

hackle wrote:now if Yao is playing Shaq or duncun, or howard, he'd get some real matchup, no flop from these guys. because Shap and duncun have just got some respect, for themselves and so for yao, Shaq wouldnt even appreciate any attempt from his teammates to get yao cheap fouls, he's just got some ego. under these circumstances yao always stands a great chance to outplayed them.

Good point. It's the best of big men that Yao plays better against. But KG is the one guy that will FLOP because he's got no weight against Yao but only quickness and lacks the strength as well. I can understand that.

Return to Houston Rockets