ImageImage

More Unsettling -- Trade Rumors or Silence?

Moderators: ken6199, TMU

PurpleTestament
Rookie
And1: 0

More Unsettling -- Trade Rumors or Silence? 

Post#1 » by PurpleTestament » Fri Feb 1, 2008 5:46 pm

I'm not someone who is hung up on trading just for the sake of doing so or having my team's name in print. However when your team is two seeds removed from the playoffs and your whole ad campaign for the last five years encompasses that 'win now' attitude it is a little disconcerning when your club appears satisfied with where it's at.
"The horror... the horror."
bubba
Pro Prospect

Post#2 » by bubba » Fri Feb 1, 2008 5:57 pm

i dont think were satisfied with where we're at. we are starting to get the ball rolling in the right direction by winning the games we're "supposed" to. as long as we keep winning and get far in the playoffs, we'll be satisfied. one game at a time.
JusBlaze
Junior

Post#3 » by JusBlaze » Fri Feb 1, 2008 6:33 pm

bubba wrote:i dont think were satisfied with where we're at. we are starting to get the ball rolling in the right direction by winning the games we're "supposed" to. as long as we keep winning and get far in the playoffs, we'll be satisfied. one game at a time.

I understand what you are saying, but there are problems with that train of thought. If the season continues the way it is going now and we do continue winning, the best we can hope for is to play one of the following teams: New Orleans, San Antonio, Phoenix, or Dallas. Yes, we are winning and playing better now, but do you honestly believe we can beat any of the previously mentioned teams? New Orleans is the weakest and least experienced of the group, however, they have our number. Even with McGrady, it's hard to believe the Rockets will be a championship team.

Like the thread starter said, our last 5 years of marketing have been focused on being a championship contender. As last year's draft fiasco demonstrated, the Rockets seriously believe they are on a championship path. That is so far from the truth with how the Rockets has been playing and it's obvious. To me, Rockets management has to see that the Rockets will not win a championship the team is currently comprised.

I'm also not in the boat of making a change to make a change. However, they HAVE to be looking at getting better (i.e. Jason Kidd, a PG from somewhere, trading McGrady ONLY, and I mean only, if we get better.)

We will see going forward in the future.
The New Big 3

The Time is Now

Visit www.clutchfans.net and keep up with the latest Rockets news daily! The best fansite for any team!
TMACFORMVP
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 161

Post#4 » by TMACFORMVP » Fri Feb 1, 2008 6:39 pm

Yeah I agree, the way our roster is constructed right now, even if we were to make the playoffs, I wouldn't see us advancing and wasn't that the goal? We've been a disappointment the past three seasons blowing a 2-0 lead against Dallas after winning on the road, not making the playoffs and then blowing another 2-0 lead.

It's all our nothing this year, if we don't get it done this year I think the Rockets should just go in a different direction since it obviously won't work. We need a legit third option (Ron Artest) a experienced backup PG (Sam Cassell), or a legit starting PG since Alston's game is too inconsistent especially looking at the PG's in the Western Conference.
BaYBaller
Veteran
And1: 116

Post#5 » by BaYBaller » Fri Feb 1, 2008 6:55 pm

You're not going to get a young star player in return for T-Mac, you're either going to get picks and expirings (if you want to rebuild) or another aging star. It's not a matter of being satisfied or not, it's just the reality of the situation. Kidd for T-Mac swap would make the team worse.

On the flip side realize that the team has gotten better each year since the T-Mac trade (the trade gutted the team's depth) until this year with all the changes. But this year we have a lot more depth and young developing prospects indicating further improvement.

We're not championship material right now but we're still a 2nd-tier team in the west regardless of our current seeding/record. As long as you see potential for further improvement you stay the course.

In terms of trades I doubt anything groundbreaking will occur on the trade deadline, but I'd be surprised if there wasn't some major trades (outside of Yao/T-Mac) in the off-season to grab some more Adelman-type players.
King Roosk
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 85

Post#6 » by King Roosk » Fri Feb 1, 2008 10:03 pm

T-mac and Yao is not the problem...it's always been the role players. We've now got some better role players and a better bench; we're just one solid piece away from being a legitimate contender. I think trading one of Yao and Mcgrady would be a very bad idea at this point. Consider this:

1. Brooks, Landry, and Scola have been major contributors recently. Imagine what they'll be with a year of experience under their belt (aka next season).

2. The team has finally picked up Adelman's system. In the beginning of the season we were still running (mostly) JVG's system. Since then we've picked it up, and we've looked very efficient in the process.

I hate to say wait til next year, and I'm all for a trade. I mean, we have guys with decent trade value who are not going to contribute to this team in Mike James, Kirk Snyder, and MAYBE even Chuck Hayes. However, if we do have to wait til next year, we're still going to be a very legitimate team. With the recent Gasol to LA trade, I don't know what our chances of winning a chamionship are, but I'll be happy if we can make the playoffs and advance. I think we can accomplish the goal of advancing with one more tweak to the team.

Basically, don't give up on Yao and Mcgrady yet.
DraftBoy10
Banned User
And1: 2

Post#7 » by DraftBoy10 » Fri Feb 1, 2008 10:21 pm

Actually, T-Mac and Yao have been the problem.

It's not just the role players, it's a combination of the role players, coaching staff, and those two guys that lead our team. It's our entire organization.

Don't give up on Yao yet, but if we can land something pretty decent for Tracy, it's something we should heavily consider.
King Roosk
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 85

Post#8 » by King Roosk » Fri Feb 1, 2008 10:23 pm

DraftBoy10 wrote:Actually, T-Mac and Yao have been the problem.

It's not just the role players, it's a combination of the role players, coaching staff, and those two guys that lead our team. It's our entire organization.

Don't give up on Yao yet, but if we can land something pretty decent for Tracy, it's something we should heavily consider.

Who's that in your avatar and what year was that?
DraftBoy10
Banned User
And1: 2

Post#9 » by DraftBoy10 » Fri Feb 1, 2008 10:25 pm

Stevie Franchise. 1st year he was an Orlando Magic member.

Return to Houston Rockets