ImageImage

Worst playoff performer of all time

Moderators: ken6199, TMU

BaYBaller
Veteran
And1: 116

Post#21 » by BaYBaller » Wed Apr 30, 2008 5:24 pm

The problem is Head is absolutely abysmal around the rim (and people thought Alston was bad). Head doesn't have the vision either, so basically he's useless in the lane, and when your defender knows that he can overplay you on the jumper.

At this point I only trust Head in 2 situations, an open jumper or him with a live dribble with a defender closing out (because he can at least shoot off the dribble).
Guy986
RealGM
And1: 647

Post#22 » by Guy986 » Wed Apr 30, 2008 6:05 pm

I think the absense of Yao Ming hurt Luther Head the most out of all the rockets. Head, unlike Alston, brooks, b-jax, cannot create off the dribble. Infact, pound for pound he just might be the worst ball handler in the league. Head can't beat anyone off the dribble and at 6'2 he can't finish at the rim or shoot over his defenders either. He's utterly useless unless there is a big chinese guy attracting all the double team in the post. He'll be better next year when Yao's back. I would definitely look to move him for a bigger backup.
Amel
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#23 » by Amel » Wed Apr 30, 2008 6:32 pm

Guy986 wrote:I think the absense of Yao Ming hurt Luther Head the most out of all the rockets. Head, unlike Alston, brooks, b-jax, cannot create off the dribble. Infact, pound for pound he just might be the worst ball handler in the league. Head can't beat anyone off the dribble and at 6'2 he can't finish at the rim or shoot over his defenders either. He's utterly useless unless there is a big chinese guy attracting all the double team in the post. He'll be better next year when Yao's back. I would definitely look to move him for a bigger backup.

another good point

Luther lacks in many parts of his game
King Roosk
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 85

Post#24 » by King Roosk » Wed Apr 30, 2008 6:40 pm

It seems like Luther just can't step his game up in the playoffs. I thought last year might have been somewhat of a fluke, but maybe he just can't get it done. He's hit big shots for us in the regular season (although his 3 pt shooting has taken a drastic hit this season), but if he can't get it done in the playoffs then I'm all for packaging him with BJax. Are the Grizzlies still having a fire sale? How much does Mike Miller make per year?
MaxRider
RealGM
And1: 5,805

Post#25 » by MaxRider » Wed Apr 30, 2008 9:00 pm

seems like Head can't produce in limited minute
Texas Longhorns
Banned User
And1: 3

Post#26 » by Texas Longhorns » Wed Apr 30, 2008 9:08 pm

We should have traded him last summer or even near the mid point of the season. I think we could have got a good scorer off the bench for him.
- Vince Young - Kevin Durant - LaMarcus Aldrige - T.J. Ford - D.J. Augustin
MaxRider
RealGM

Post#27 » by MaxRider » Wed Apr 30, 2008 10:25 pm

Texas Longhorns wrote:We should have traded him last summer or even near the mid point of the season. I think we could have got a good scorer off the bench for him.

screw Ainge
we were trying to trade him and 8th pick (should be Foye) to Minnesota for Roy
sweet_jesus
Bench Warmer
And1: 148

Post#28 » by sweet_jesus » Wed Apr 30, 2008 10:29 pm

people are ready to forgive Head for one play he hasn't made yet.

I too think Head will show up in the clutch in gm 6 but its not going to save his overall preformance.

I wanted Luther to succeed here but sadly i think his time is up in Houston.
BaYBaller
Veteran

Post#29 » by BaYBaller » Wed Apr 30, 2008 11:41 pm

sweet_jesus wrote:people are ready to forgive Head for one play he hasn't made yet.

I too think Head will show up in the clutch in gm 6 but its not going to save his overall preformance.

I wanted Luther to succeed here but sadly i think his time is up in Houston.

Head can be a clutch shooter. He is IMO an above average shooter. The issue is that... well, he has issues in everything else. I say your screen name everytime I see him get rejected at the rim, "sweet Jesus what was he thinking"?

If Novak didn't constantly trip over his own feet on defense Head would get zero PT. I also see him being the odd man out if Francis comes back.
A.J.
Banned User
And1: 1

Post#30 » by A.J. » Wed Apr 30, 2008 11:43 pm

BaYBaller wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Head can be a clutch shooter. He is IMO an above average shooter. The issue is that... well, he has issues in everything else. I say your screen name everytime I see him get rejected at the rim, "sweet Jesus what was he thinking"?

If Novak didn't constantly trip over his own feet on defense Head would get zero PT. I also see him being the odd man out if Francis comes back.

Yeah I agree. Next year I dont see Head getting any PT when Francis comes back.
MaxRider
RealGM

Post#31 » by MaxRider » Wed Apr 30, 2008 11:48 pm

lol
i don't even remember we have Francis on our team
right now Head >>> Francis
PocketRockets
Pro Prospect
And1: 9

Post#32 » by PocketRockets » Thu May 1, 2008 12:57 am

Head is cheap. I think that's the only reason he isn't gone already. He's not hurting us salary wise. I hope we get someone good back in return. =/
A.J.
Banned User
And1: 1

Post#33 » by A.J. » Thu May 1, 2008 2:15 am

MaxRider wrote:lol
i don't even remember we have Francis on our team
right now Head >>> Francis

Yeah. For some reason It feels like Francis is on anoter team. I cant wait till he comes back next season. Luther needs to be benched.
tisbee
Starter

Post#34 » by tisbee » Thu May 1, 2008 5:14 am

The sad part is Head and Jackson are the only Rockets who make the cuts Adelman's offense calls for. Head has been able to get past the Jazz on the perimeter,he just hasn't been finishing and he looks like he's lost all confidence in his shot. I sorta hoped when he made the Tech FT it would get him untracked,but...
There is a trade that might benefit both teams. Head to Orlando for JJ Reddick. Reddick has worn out his welcome in Orlando and Head's ability to play some emergency PG might be attractive to a team w/only 1 PG under contract.
sweet_jesus
Bench Warmer
And1: 148

Post#35 » by sweet_jesus » Thu May 1, 2008 5:47 am

What did Reddick do in ORL? I vaugely remember him complaining about something early on in his rookie season but then he got hurt.

Head's value will be his expiring contract.

My pipe dream is B-Jax and Head for Mike Miller. Then the Grizz buy out Bobby and he resigns with HOU.
aznkillabeezZz
Lead Assistant
And1: 3

Post#36 » by aznkillabeezZz » Thu May 1, 2008 6:23 am

hell no, Redick is a million times worst than Head. His D is worst than Novaks. That's why he gets absolutely no playing time for magics for 3 years...

Head has good ability to make cuts but can't make a shot in the playoffs... But I wouldn't trade him for a player who can only shoot and nothing else.
tisbee
Starter

Post#37 » by tisbee » Thu May 1, 2008 2:58 pm

Reddick is very bad on D,but Head hasn't shown he's a defensive whiz either. Reddick is a lights out shooter,who knows how to get shots in the kind of offense Adelman runs. Contracts are about same,and Rox would have options on Reddick next 2 yrs.
Adelman started Peja in Sacremento,and Peja was/is a bad defender,but he could/can shoot. It would be nice if Rockets had a guy coming off the bench who could rain open 3s.
BaYBaller
Veteran

Post#38 » by BaYBaller » Thu May 1, 2008 5:08 pm

I'm not sure if you guys are overrating Head or underrating Reddick. They both are overall bad players and have little market value.

But when you look at it from afar it is actually a good trade for the Rox *IF* you don't need to package Head along with some other, more significant deal to make the numbers work. And considering the Rox have tried to package Head in deals for the past 2 offseasons it's obvious Head holds very little market value.

The reason it is a smart trade is, as tisbee pointed out, Reddick has a better contract situation in that we can keep him 1 year longer on his rookie contract. Also, even though Head is one of the few people who actually does try to run Adelman's offense, Reddick was known for playing in a motion offense in Duke, so the fit is there. Reddick is a horrid defender sure, but Luther has zero defense too, and how much worse can you get from zero?

All in all though the trade won't have much of an impact either way, so I don't even know why I typed all that.
HTown_TMac
General Manager
And1: 222

Post#39 » by HTown_TMac » Thu May 1, 2008 5:24 pm

BaYBaller wrote:I'm not sure if you guys are overrating Head or underrating Reddick. They both are overall bad players and have little market value.

But when you look at it from afar it is actually a good trade for the Rox *IF* you don't need to package Head along with some other, more significant deal to make the numbers work. And considering the Rox have tried to package Head in deals for the past 2 offseasons it's obvious Head holds very little market value.

The reason it is a smart trade is, as tisbee pointed out, Reddick has a better contract situation in that we can keep him 1 year longer on his rookie contract. Also, even though Head is one of the few people who actually does try to run Adelman's offense, Reddick was known for playing in a motion offense in Duke, so the fit is there. Reddick is a horrid defender sure, but Luther has zero defense too, and how much worse can you get from zero?

All in all though the trade won't have much of an impact either way, so I don't even know why I typed all that.

Same person IMO
I think Head will be packaged along with bjax for someone like Miller this summer.. So there is like no point
www.atrilli.net <- music blog
camron1269
Senior

Post#40 » by camron1269 » Thu May 1, 2008 9:16 pm

the hate for head is unbelievable. everything he has done in the past few years during the regular seasons is just nothing to you guys. the guy barely even plays in the playoffs how could you blame anything on him or say anything.
comparing him to reddick is just wrong and disgusting. he is WAYYYYY better than that scrub. lack of confidence in the playoffs is his downfall and that is because of lack of stability in the lineup. this year especially and even with JVG he would start one day and not play at all the next. he is not to blame. he is a baller and dont forget last year he was what top 5 in the NBA in 3 point shooting %

Return to Houston Rockets