ImageImageImageImage

Around the League

Moderator: theBigLip

Piston Pete
RealGM
And1: 1,265

Re: Around the League 

Post#461 » by Piston Pete » Wed Nov 2, 2011 5:03 pm

Palmer is also familiar with TO as they played together in Cinci just last season....
chrbal
RealGM
And1: 1,651

Post#462 » by chrbal » Wed Nov 2, 2011 6:38 pm

I was paraphrashing an article that I read. Maybe TO didn't work out this summer/or get along with Palmer.
Icness
NFL Analyst
And1: 129

Post#463 » by Icness » Wed Nov 2, 2011 7:47 pm

Housh signed for the vet minimum and was in Raiders camp this summer. He's there as much for his ability to mentor the youngsters and give Carson a sounding board than anything he will do on the field.

TO is still angling for a big(ger) contract. He and Rosenhaus are freaking delusional.
It's not whether you win or lose, it's how good you look playing the game
TSE
Banned User
And1: 9

Post#464 » by TSE » Thu Nov 3, 2011 12:03 am

chrbal wrote:While Palmer was on vacation he was working out with TJ and the Raiders apparently wanted someone Carson was familiar with.

For TSE, my entire analysis was based on things you've posted. Your team would suck. I think you might be better off (hypothetically) with the NFL then MlB. Your Casey Fien obsession and all.

Had to look this one up, but this was a key point;
TSE wrote:

CJ is definitely a valuable guy to trade because he's too good and there's no sense in having him if you aren't going to use him in the Super Bowl. We are better off taking future value instead of watching him waste away and giving us no return in terms of SB hardware which is what it's all about. CJ would have been great if we would have used the last 2-3 years to fix the team, but we did it too slow and we have to re-organize at some point. What do you want to do, have CJ be here for 15 more years where we don't make the playoffs? No thanks.

Suh is only a one year rookie and playing at a high level and we have time left with him to turn things around, so not really any point to trading him unless somebody offers a crazy deal. Nothing wrong with trading Pettigrew, a swap is a swap, one position for another, I would imagine a Pettigrew trade would be pretty neutral but still more likely a benefit because the dropoff in value from him to Scheffler or somebody else isn't as big of a win contribution factor as a better player at another key position is over his backup.

So yeah, I'm OPEN-MINDED about trading all of those guys except Suh, which would just require somebody to drop a monster offer on the table, but not expecting it to come.

There is more to the post, but the bold is all we really need. At what point did the Lions have an oppurtunity to use CJ is the Super Bowl? So the Lions should trade a guy that will help them get better because we haven't used him in the Super Bowl.

I'm somewhat of the mindset that you are alternate username of Iceness when he wants to phuck around with people.

I think you got the wrong guy with Casey Fien, he's not my kind of player/prospect, and I value him very little, and this point I value him at nothing at all. This season he only pitched in the minors and he has put up ugly numbers which are far worse than any previous year in the minors. His stock is plummeting every day and will continue to drop with every day that passes until the if/when that he turns in an improved performance. Besides if you want to talk baseball players, then go in the baseball forum and throw his name around, what the heck do we need to talk about a non-descript baseball player about here in this thread topic for?

And CJ's rookie year we should have been in the SB. There was no reason we couldn't have turned from worst to first if we planned things out in the previous year and years before. We could have been in the SB in any year since 2000 that you want, and the course to do so would just be based upon what theoretical year am I stepping in. If you know you are going to be a top 5 pick or a threat to be a top 5 pick, then before Week 1, or preferably before the draft of that preceding year, or even more preferably before that and so on is the time to start projecting and figuring out what your plan is to rebound from a high pick to then win the SB in that year. The earlier time frame you are scheduling that plan out, the higher the odds you have in winning the SB in the rookie year of that player. It depends upon the time perspective of the reference point that you are talking about to answer questions like that.
Lionlifer
Rookie
And1: 626

Post#465 » by Lionlifer » Thu Nov 3, 2011 3:43 pm

GenshiYagyu wrote:You'll get the full support of everyone on the Lions board to get you a gig as an NFL GM. We'll write recommendations, sign a petition, whatever, so you can break into the league as GM of the Packers, Bears, or Vikings.

well played :lol:
2016 Pistons All Time Fantasy League Champ!
chrbal
RealGM

Post#466 » by chrbal » Thu Nov 3, 2011 4:25 pm

maybe i'm hybriding Kell and TSE, i'm still confident in my analysis though.
ajaX82
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 85

Post#467 » by ajaX82 » Thu Nov 3, 2011 5:11 pm

chrbal wrote:maybe i'm hybriding Kell and TSE, i'm still confident in my analysis though.

kell was definitely the person who had a thing for Fien, not TSE. no worries though
ajaX82
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 85

Post#468 » by ajaX82 » Thu Nov 3, 2011 5:12 pm

So for the Thanksgiving game the halftime show was announced as Nickelback. Needless to say, people (myself included) are none too pleased.

Sign the petition if ya want

http://www.change.org/petitions/the-det ... iving-game
Piston Pete
RealGM
And1: 1,265

Post#469 » by Piston Pete » Thu Nov 3, 2011 5:26 pm

ajaX82 wrote:So for the Thanksgiving game the halftime show was announced as Nickelback. Needless to say, people (myself included) are none too pleased.

Sign the petition if ya want

http://www.change.org/petitions/the-det ... iving-game

I don't see the big deal....Nickleback's okay. Sure, there are better bands out there, but its not like their terrible. I'm kind of glad we're not inviting Kid Rock or Aretha Franklin....seems like they're doing it more often than not.
chrbal
RealGM

Post#470 » by chrbal » Thu Nov 3, 2011 7:10 pm

Halftime at home for Thanksgiving, means get up be social and get snacks. At the game its that much different. I think I would only hang around if it was Paul McCartney or someone like that.

This goes against a lot of what i believe in, but I think the Lions should bring in Derek Hagan for a tryout. Hes a vet and a fairly good special teams player. He had a solid preseason, studies the playbook, and a I think would be worth a tryout.
Icness
NFL Analyst

Post#471 » by Icness » Thu Nov 3, 2011 9:35 pm

I'm always surprised at how much people hate Nickelback. They're okay, nothing great, I wouldn't pay to see them though. Their songs get massive airplay and that's what the promoters have to consider--wide audience. I agree that trotting out Kid Rock or Aretha or Bob Seger or other Detroit icons is tired. Madonna would be a better pull if they want Detroit cred but I doubt she'd do a football game unless she could do the football team first.
TSE
Banned User

Post#472 » by TSE » Fri Nov 4, 2011 2:22 am

ajaX82 wrote:
chrbal wrote:maybe i'm hybriding Kell and TSE, i'm still confident in my analysis though.

kell was definitely the person who had a thing for Fien, not TSE. no worries though

I've never even watched Fien play to know if i liked him. I don't even remember what we gave him up for, but i'm willing to bet i was against the move at the time. At the time we didn't know he was going to suck for the rest of the year anyhow, and we probably gave him up along the same lines that we give up all of our unknown quantities for illogical additions. The concept of selling future assets for discounted overall value in the present doensn't make sense regardless of whether Fien would be a good player or not. If they didn't believe Fien would pan out, then they could have still traded him for something else, or as part of a package to receive something else that did make sense. The Tigers are one of the dumbest and most irresponsible frakking teams in sports, and Illitch and Dombrowski are horribly unethical and immoral people because of their colossal stupidity and incompetence and the fallout that our community suffers as a result of that, even if the community doesn't even understand what they are doing wrong.
chrbal
RealGM

Post#473 » by chrbal » Fri Nov 4, 2011 5:48 pm

Fien didn't make the 40 man roster, bounced around franchise to franchise for about a month, made it back to the TIgers. the next season he went to houston and is now currently out of baseball. Thank you wikipedia.
95 win season, yeah they suck...
Lionlifer
Rookie

Post#474 » by Lionlifer » Fri Nov 4, 2011 10:32 pm

Icness wrote:I'm always surprised at how much people hate Nickelback. They're okay, nothing great, I wouldn't pay to see them though. Their songs get massive airplay and that's what the promoters have to consider--wide audience. I agree that trotting out Kid Rock or Aretha or Bob Seger or other Detroit icons is tired. Madonna would be a better pull if they want Detroit cred but I doubt she'd do a football game unless she could do the football team first.

I read somewhere the Nickleback has incredibly low merchandise sales compared to ticket sales. I think nobody wants to own up to liking them.

And if they want a detroit person, I still think they should send out Eminem....
TSE
Banned User

Post#475 » by TSE » Sat Nov 5, 2011 12:05 am

Icness wrote:I'm always surprised at how much people hate Nickelback. They're okay, nothing great, I wouldn't pay to see them though. Their songs get massive airplay and that's what the promoters have to consider--wide audience. I agree that trotting out Kid Rock or Aretha or Bob Seger or other Detroit icons is tired. Madonna would be a better pull if they want Detroit cred but I doubt she'd do a football game unless she could do the football team first.

Yeah Madonna would rock. When she sang Like a Prayer on CNN for Haiti relief, I text donated immediately afterwards. Nobody else in the world called me to action to give money to that cause, but she was able to. She has the power of inspiration.
Lionlifer
Rookie

Post#476 » by Lionlifer » Mon Nov 7, 2011 3:08 pm

TSE wrote:

Yeah Madonna would rock. When she sang Like a Prayer on CNN for Haiti relief, I text donated immediately afterwards. Nobody else in the world called me to action to give money to that cause, but she was able to. She has the power of inspiration.

Thats the power of a Rochester Adams Alumni for ya. Go Highlanders!
chrbal
RealGM

Post#477 » by chrbal » Thu Nov 10, 2011 1:30 am

The Bucs claimed Haynesworth. Thank god, I really think he would've been a bad fit for Detroit. The Colts rebuilt the roster. Central Michigans Dan Lefevour is on their practice sqaud, and former lion Prince Miller got cut. As bad as it sounds i don't want them to go 0-16 because I always want that to be attached to Matt Millen as something only he could accomplish.
Icness
NFL Analyst

Post#478 » by Icness » Thu Nov 10, 2011 2:52 am

Indy sure did do a lot of shuffling. I hope Lefevour can stick for a year or two as their #3. He's not an NFL QB but I like him and hope he can keep pulling NFL checks.

Dave Rayner is now Buffalo's kicker.

Ethnic Slurs signed Kentwan Balmer and DJ Johnson. I mention Johnson only because he worked out this past summer at the gym I do. Balmer is a jovial underacheiver.
chrbal
RealGM

Post#479 » by chrbal » Fri Nov 11, 2011 6:48 pm

Among the 24; http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=A ... ut_players

Kevin Smith, Leonard Davis, and practice squad add Terrance Toliver were among them. Ex-Bills backup QB Brian Brohm was among them. Veteran WRs Antwan Randle-El and Sam Aiken were. Ex- Titans defensive lineman Jovan Haye and Tony Brown were. Longtime Falcon Chauncey Davis was another.

Its an interesting list. Feel free to throw out random speculation.

Thats agressive for a team to do at this point in the season. 24 players is basically a summer camp in fall. I like these types of moves that this group does. Can you imagine you're some fringe player on the Lions and you go to Allen Park to pick up something out of your locker and you see 24 players trying out. Even with only 3 making the team, that would push me to work harder when I get back to work. Not shocking that this "leaked" out.
Lionlifer
Rookie

Post#480 » by Lionlifer » Wed Nov 23, 2011 2:23 pm

Can't believe that Orton got cut by Denver, do they really have that much faith in Brady Quinn as their backup?

Bet Chi scoops him up real quick

Return to Detroit Lions