2012 Draft Night(s)

Moderator: theBigLip

Icness
NFL Analyst
And1: 129

Re: 2012 Draft Night(s) 

Post#61 » by Icness » Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:18 am

Blkbrd671 wrote:
kellmellus50 wrote:a team passing 50 times per game, however, his inability to pass-block at the highest level with any degree of consistency will limit him. Moreover, I'm not sure how much higher his ceiling is -- Reiff has managed to find ways to get around his physical flaws (arm length; lack of optimal quickness in space

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1157 ... roit-lions

bleacher reports the worst resource

Way to cherry pick the one negative comment of the five on the page too. FWIW Sigmund Bloom is someone I immensly respect, a lot more than Doug Farrar (the author of the above comment)
It's not whether you win or lose, it's how good you look playing the game
Blkbrd671
RealGM
And1: 4,819

Post#62 » by Blkbrd671 » Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:22 am

Who are our projections in the 2nd round or at least positions we're looking at acquiring
kellmellus50
Starter
And1: 142

Post#63 » by kellmellus50 » Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:28 am

National Football Post: Reiff is a former TE recruit out of high school who has made the move to offensive tackle

National Football Post: If you want the steal of the draft, I think that award goes to the Steelers landing DeCastro at this spot. DeCastro can come in an play at a high level from Day 1

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/draft
DocRI
Starter
And1: 762

Post#64 » by DocRI » Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:29 am

Add me to the "happy" list. I think Reiff was a TREMENDOUS pick at #23. I know Jeff has called Reiff "Jeff Backus 2.0," but I think that's a compliment; we drafted Backus late in the first round, and he's been a solid starter at the essential LT spot for over a decade. If we can get another decade of solid protection, especially for Stafford, with a late first round pick, I'll take that every time. I think Reiff kicks Cherilus inside, or to the curb, immediately, and is groomed to take over for Backus on the left side in two years (as has been speculated).

As always, a big thanks to Jeff for his inside info; it's great to know that Reiff was the top guy on our board, and top 15 overall. That's just what Mayhew does; he takes the best talent who falls to him. Our OL wasn't a problem last year, but it's also the oldest in the NFL, which means it could easily develop into a problem quickly; again, our future is undeniably linked to Matthew Stafford (and keeping him healthy).

So, on to Friday night! Anyone wanna trade up to snag a clear first round prospect who's still available, like Courtney Upshaw, Cordy Glenn, or Jonathan Martin? Or if another OL prospect like Silatolu, Osemele, or Adams falls, do you guys wanna double up that way? Do we dare we draft Janoris Jenkins if he's there at #54, or do we reach on Trumaine Johnson or Josh Robinson? Or does a pass rusher, like Vinny Curry, slide down the board? Anyone care to guess?

God, I love the draft!
kellmellus50
Starter

Post#65 » by kellmellus50 » Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:39 am

kellmellus50 wrote:National Football Post: Reiff is a former TE recruit out of high school who has made the move to offensive tackle

National Football Post: If you want the steal of the draft, I think that award goes to the Steelers landing DeCastro at this spot. DeCastro can come in an play at a high level from Day 1

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/draft

The lions may plan on using him as a TE at times line him up as a OL eligable reciever and send him out ?
Icness
NFL Analyst

Post#66 » by Icness » Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:39 am

Thanks for the kind words Doc! I'll be online tomorrow night too, hopefully with some info before the 2nd round starts.

I like Reiff but I would have preferred Cordy Glenn in sticking to my board.

The corner and WR pools are very deep in rounds 2-3 and it wouldn't surprise me at all if the Lions went into both tomorrow. One guy to watch for a trade up: Trumaine Johnson.
kellmellus50
Starter

Post#67 » by kellmellus50 » Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:42 am

Icness wrote:Thanks for the kind words Doc! I'll be online tomorrow night too, hopefully with some info before the 2nd round starts.

I like Reiff but I would have preferred Cordy Glenn in sticking to my board.

The corner and WR pools are very deep in rounds 2-3 and it wouldn't surprise me at all if the Lions went into both tomorrow. One guy to watch for a trade up: Trumaine Johnson.

There were way better picks left on the board thats why i am not jumping up and down.
hopefully friday will be better for the lions.
ajaX82
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 85

Post#68 » by ajaX82 » Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:49 am

DocRI wrote:Add me to the "happy" list. I think Reiff was a TREMENDOUS pick at #23. I know Jeff has called Reiff "Jeff Backus 2.0," but I think that's a compliment; we drafted Backus late in the first round, and he's been a solid starter at the essential LT spot for over a decade. If we can get another decade of solid protection, especially for Stafford, with a late first round pick, I'll take that every time. I think Reiff kicks Cherilus inside, or to the curb, immediately, and is groomed to take over for Backus on the left side in two years (as has been speculated).

As always, a big thanks to Jeff for his inside info; it's great to know that Reiff was the top guy on our board, and top 15 overall. That's just what Mayhew does; he takes the best talent who falls to him. Our OL wasn't a problem last year, but it's also the oldest in the NFL, which means it could easily develop into a problem quickly; again, our future is undeniably linked to Matthew Stafford (and keeping him healthy).

So, on to Friday night! Anyone wanna trade up to snag a clear first round prospect who's still available, like Courtney Upshaw, Cordy Glenn, or Jonathan Martin? Or if another OL prospect like Silatolu, Osemele, or Adams falls, do you guys wanna double up that way? Do we dare we draft Janoris Jenkins if he's there at #54, or do we reach on Trumaine Johnson or Josh Robinson? Or does a pass rusher, like Vinny Curry, slide down the board? Anyone care to guess?

God, I love the draft!

Lots and lots of options in the second. I certainly wouldn't object to grabbing another OL guy tomorrow (G or C) and continuing to reload. We are old there, as you mentioned. I'd bet we take at least one CB, probably in the 2nd. I would be tempted to move up for Upshaw, but doubt we do
DocRI
Starter
And1: 762

Post#69 » by DocRI » Fri Apr 27, 2012 4:44 am

Icness wrote:Thanks for the kind words Doc! I'll be online tomorrow night too, hopefully with some info before the 2nd round starts.

No, thank you, Jeff, for keeping us common peasants informed; looking forward to tomorrow's updates!

Icness wrote:I like Reiff but I would have preferred Cordy Glenn in sticking to my board.

This is a moot point, but even over DeCastro? Again, I was fascinated to hear you report that Mayhew simply wouldn't take a guard in the first round. As much as I love to analyze what the Lions do, Mayhew and Schwartz have taken us from 0-16 to 10-6 and the playoffs in three years; in short, I trust their judgment, and was thrilled to read you report that they had Reiff as a top 15 pick.

Icness wrote:The corner and WR pools are very deep in rounds 2-3 and it wouldn't surprise me at all if the Lions went into both tomorrow. One guy to watch for a trade up: Trumaine Johnson.

A WR? Really? Wow; I honestly HATED the WR class in the late first round, and didn't think any WR really deserved a first round grade after Floyd; I'd honestly rather see Fleener fall to us at #54 than any WR on the board (of course, I also love what the Pats do with Gronk & Hernandez, and would rather have Pettigrew & Fleener for years to come than Hill, Randle, or Sanu as our 3rd or 4th WR).

I love Trumaine Johnson, though, even if we move him to safety. You've been adamant that we won't take Jenkins, so I'll trust you on that one. I think the most interesting question would be if one of the OL prospects falls to us; that would really test Mayhew's "best available player" strategy, because need would surely dictate we look to the other side of the ball (be that in the secondary or by adding another pass rusher).
kellmellus50
Starter

Post#70 » by kellmellus50 » Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:34 am

There was an off-the-field issue involving Reiff (pronounced REEF) during his freshman season at Iowa. He was arrested for public intoxication and led eight police officers on a 20-minute chase on foot through town before he was apprehended.
He pleaded guilty to a pair of misdemeanors, public intoxication and interference with official acts.

Character becomes a necessity following the suspected pot-consuming exploits of three members of last year’s rookie class.

http://www.freep.com/article/20120426/C ... ext|Sports
Piston Pete
RealGM
And1: 1,265

Post#71 » by Piston Pete » Fri Apr 27, 2012 12:28 pm

One WR that I have been looking at in the later rounds (4-5) has been Marvin McNutt out of iowa. I think he'd prove to be a steal if we got him there. I hope we don't take a WR too soon in this draft.
Lionlifer
Rookie
And1: 626

Post#72 » by Lionlifer » Fri Apr 27, 2012 1:39 pm

I love the pick, think its great value, and there is something about big ten lineman that usually translates well to the NFL.
2016 Pistons All Time Fantasy League Champ!
Liqourish
RealGM
And1: 2,245

Post#73 » by Liqourish » Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:16 pm

GREAT pick for the Lions. Reiff was a top 15 player and fell to #23. We took the best guy available that just so happens to help us at a big need, replacing our old as hell OL. What more could you ask for? :D

Wouldn't mind a CB in the second.... or like ajax mentioned grabbing a G/C and really build the OL into a strength much like we did with the DL the last couple years.

Either way, there is ALOT of talent left. Can't wait to see what the Lions do.
kellmellus50
Starter

Post#74 » by kellmellus50 » Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:51 pm

Rieff was at Parkston High in South Dakota, where he was an outstanding tight end (27 catches, 321 yards, nine touchdowns as senior), defensive end (23 career sacks)
Piston Pete
RealGM
And1: 1,265

Post#75 » by Piston Pete » Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:03 pm

Any way at all Janoris Jenkins falls to us in the 3rd round??? Or is he a lock to go in the 2nd?

Wondering if his off-field issues will drop him down far enough we could go OG/C in the 2nd and still get him in the 3rd. Is that totally unrealistic?
Icness
NFL Analyst

Post#76 » by Icness » Fri Apr 27, 2012 9:20 pm

I don't think anybody knows what is going to happen with Jenkins. Most speculation is the Pats early tonight but it's far from a given.

If things play out as I suspect I would go LB in Round 2 and corner round 3, then add WR OL & S tomorrow.
Icness
NFL Analyst

Post#77 » by Icness » Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:54 pm

Lions could be moving up a few spots tonight, target would be Lavonte David.
ajaX82
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#78 » by ajaX82 » Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:14 pm

Icness wrote:Lions could be moving up a few spots tonight, target would be Lavonte David.

Thanks for the info. Seems like we really like him and I like the fact that he is a tackling machine and comes to do work every play.
motorcity15
Sixth Man
And1: 27

Post#79 » by motorcity15 » Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:38 pm

1 pick off for Jenkins. Good call Icness.

I was surprised the Rams drafted him but the more i think about the more Jeff Fisher could turn this into a great pick.
ajaX82
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#80 » by ajaX82 » Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:41 pm

motorcity15 wrote:1 pick off for Jenkins. Good call Icness.

I was surprised the Rams drafted him but the more i think about the more Jeff Fisher could turn this into a great pick.

If you are drafting JJ you need a strong head coach. Fisher is exactly that. Very good pick by St. Louis but I'm glad we aren't given the temptation of him anymore

Return to Detroit Lions