ImageImageImageImage

2011/12 Draft Prospects

Moderator: theBigLip

Icness
NFL Analyst
And1: 129

Re: 2011/12 Draft Prospects 

Post#141 » by Icness » Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:17 pm

TSE wrote:To me the FA pool is of weak value to consider investing in without first identifying what executable trade options exist, so that's all I care about is dealing with that first, then you can talk about FA and know what everything is more precisely worth to you.

This team is 26 trade transactions away from greatness, everything else is just weakly-amplifying window dressing.

You do realize there haven't been 26 trades involving actual NFL players (not picks) in the last 3 calendar years, right...?
It's not whether you win or lose, it's how good you look playing the game
TSE
Banned User
And1: 9

Post#142 » by TSE » Sat Feb 25, 2012 3:49 am

Sure.
ajaX82
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 85

Post#143 » by ajaX82 » Sat Feb 25, 2012 7:05 pm

Cordy Glenn looks to be having a really good combine, running a 5.15 40 (one of the faster times) and putting up 31 on the bench. And this for a guy who came in at 345 and with long arms (36"), making those two numbers even more impressive. I certainly like the idea of a versatile OL guy like him and his athletic ability doesn't seem to be a question. Plug him in at guard or RT and improve the line...me likes
Piston Pete
RealGM
And1: 1,264

Post#144 » by Piston Pete » Fri Mar 2, 2012 2:12 pm

Anyone else kind of hoping that CB Dre Kirkpatrick (Bama) falls to us at #23?

Some guys that stood out at the combine IMO:

LB Mychal Kendricks (Cal)
RB Lamar Miller (Miami)
TE James Hanna (Oklahoma)
CB Josh Robinson (C. Flordia)
OG David DeCastro (Stanford)
TSE
Banned User

Post#145 » by TSE » Sat Mar 3, 2012 9:47 pm

Our system devalues the CB position because we don't know how to use those guys right. I don't think there will be especially good value at our first round pick and we wouldn't get proper use out of the right guy anyhow, so I'm hoping for a trade down to a better position if a great prospect doesn't fall to us at either OT or LB with possible consideration for Mark Barron (because he might be the most likely DB BPA) as the worst case scenario of the 3 choices if we can't make a trade.
Icness
NFL Analyst

Post#146 » by Icness » Wed Mar 7, 2012 2:16 pm

TAMU pro day today. Lions will be in the house looking at CB Coryell Judie, RB Cyrus Gray, and a couple of small-school guys glomming onto the Aggies. Gray could be a nice 6th/7th round pick. I'll be there too.
ajaX82
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#147 » by ajaX82 » Thu Mar 8, 2012 7:32 pm

DraftScout's two mocks both have us taking Stephon Gilmore from SC now. Thoughts?
TSE
Banned User

Post#148 » by TSE » Fri Mar 9, 2012 2:16 am

Snooze alert. I think Gilmore's best use would be to try and trade him for the #24 pick so we could make a new choice and at a lesser cost. I'd trade him straight up for any pick between #24 and the top 2 picks in Round 2 (depending on who's left).
kellmellus50
Starter
And1: 142

Post#149 » by kellmellus50 » Sat Mar 17, 2012 3:27 am

The lions may draft a QB with 1st pick because both our back-ups may go elsewhere.
Jets Sign Drew Stanton
ajaX82
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#150 » by ajaX82 » Sat Mar 17, 2012 3:38 am

kellmellus50 wrote:The lions may draft a QB with 1st pick because both our back-ups may go elsewhere.
Jets Sign Drew Stanton

So you want to draft a backup QB with our first rounder? Good thinking
TSE
Banned User

Post#151 » by TSE » Sat Mar 17, 2012 3:52 am

There would be much logic to trading Stafford if we were to use our 1st on a QB, so that would have to be a built-in assumption imo, therefore your rebuttal isn't really pertinent here. If you want to argue about that strategy fine, but not necessarily was Kellmellus declaring that player to be a backup, maybe that's the thought, maybe not, but now you are making an assumption that has no basis for being made. Sounds like you could be an NFL GM one day, that's how they think when they bash others for how they think despite not truly knowing what that person thinks! It's such an unlikely proposition anyhow that is it really necessary to be so rudely dismissive of the idea? Good grief.

I actually find value in the post because it's such an outside of the box idea to consider, and there's nothing wrong with trying to challenge the norm of thinking as sometimes that opens a gateway for some amazing opportunities, and something like that would open the door to doing a Stafford trade which is a mega-opportunity to POSSIBLY dramatically improve the team. Just because you can't see that possibility doesn't mean that it does not exist. That being said, if the 3rd QB on the board is Tanehill, I haven't watched very much of his game film but I have seen a little, and I just don't see the appeal of him as a 1st Rd QB for any team that wants a 1st Rd QB. I only like 2 QBs in this draft.
Piston Pete
RealGM
And1: 1,264

Post#152 » by Piston Pete » Sat Mar 17, 2012 5:21 am

kellmellus50 wrote:The lions may draft a QB with 1st pick because both our back-ups may go elsewhere.
Jets Sign Drew Stanton

Uh, that's what signing cheap veteran QBs is for.

We definitely will not use our 1st rounder on a QB (or WR, TE, or DT either, for that matter).
Icness
NFL Analyst

Post#153 » by Icness » Sat Mar 17, 2012 2:01 pm

I wouldn't be surprised if we use a late round pick on a QB, but it sounds like the team will either keep Hill or bring in Brady Quinn or Chad Henne.

Happy for Stanton, he could be starting sooner than anyone wants to think.
Icness
NFL Analyst

Post#154 » by Icness » Sat Mar 17, 2012 2:06 pm

A couple of LBs y'all might want to check out as they fit the Lions mold:
Mychael Kendricks of Cal--real speedy but also very instinctive, good hitter, can cover. 2nd round possibility
Demario Davis of Arkansas State--I've been hyping him for awhile now but he was a monster in the Sun Belt. Very chiseled athlete, lots of speed, lots of aggression, pretty good football IQ. 3rd-4th round potential. If he went to Arkansas and not ASU he'd be a 2nd rounder at worst.
TSE
Banned User

Post#155 » by TSE » Sat Mar 17, 2012 4:58 pm

Drew Stanton, another wasted draft pick. Didn't win with him, didn't try with him, didn't trade him. Triple sucks.

And Henne is off the market because the Jags took him right? Looks like the best QB choices out there are Quinn and Vince Young. I'd be very happy with either one of those guys as they both are better choices than Shaun Hill, although I can see why people like Hill because he seems like the safer choice, but that's not what I'm looking for to fill that spot. If we aren't going to trade Stafford, then we need to bank on him not getting hurt, but if he does I want a high upside guy and both Quinn and Vince Young have that. They both have good potential and they both haven't been developed or utilized for a full fair chance in their careers. I know Vince Young didn't do too well in PHI in spot time last year and I'd like to find out why as I didn't watch any of those games. Dennis Dixon would be a wildcard interest only because we haven't seen him play in the NFL yet, but I'd still rather start fresh with a 7th round QB to be the 3rd choice after VY or Quinn. Or possibly a UDFA or final cut could come about as an option later.
Icness
NFL Analyst

Post#156 » by Icness » Sat Mar 17, 2012 9:50 pm

I missed Henne signing in JAX. Must have happened while I was March Madnessing. I like that move.

Vince Young :rofl: Why not just put money in a sack with some dog crap and set in on fire outside Mayhew's house. Same difference to the Lions.
TSE
Banned User

Post#157 » by TSE » Sun Mar 18, 2012 5:05 pm

Because the dog crap will just sit there and burn, whereas if Vince Young flops at least he has a lot of athleticism to move around and fail in an exciting way, it would be a much more lively stinkfest, and there aren't any other desirable QBs out there that we have to pick somebody if we choose to pick somebody. If Quinn's not available as the only other one you mentioned, then give us your list of QBs you like after him, because for me that's zero available players. It's Quinn or Vince or nobody as far as I can see. I think Shaun Hill though will end up re-signing so it won't matter anyhow.

EDIT: I just posted this prior to seeing the Shaun Hill signing, so now that's that I guess, I prefer to fill our 3rd QB spot with a 7th Rd QB or UDFA or final cut, but if cheap enough then Quinn or Vince can feel free to be the extra clipboard holder.
kellmellus50
Starter
And1: 142

Post#158 » by kellmellus50 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 3:44 am

TSE wrote:Drew Stanton, another wasted draft pick. Didn't win with him, didn't try with him, didn't trade him. Triple sucks.

And Henne is off the market because the Jags took him right? Looks like the best QB choices out there are Quinn and Vince Young. I'd be very happy with either one of those guys as they both are better choices than Shaun Hill, although I can see why people like Hill because he seems like the safer choice, but that's not what I'm looking for to fill that spot. If we aren't going to trade Stafford, then we need to bank on him not getting hurt, but if he does I want a high upside guy and both Quinn and Vince Young have that. They both have good potential and they both haven't been developed or utilized for a full fair chance in their careers. I know Vince Young didn't do too well in PHI in spot time last year and I'd like to find out why as I didn't watch any of those games. Dennis Dixon would be a wildcard interest only because we haven't seen him play in the NFL yet, but I'd still rather start fresh with a 7th round QB to be the 3rd choice after VY or Quinn. Or possibly a UDFA or final cut could come about as an option later.

Yes ,we lost a 2nd round pick drafting him and letting him go .We drafted him way too high to begin with.
TSE
Banned User

Post#159 » by TSE » Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:04 am

Well it wouldn't have been drafting him too high if we would have found a way to create an ROI off of that decision which is what the new GM needed to figure out how to do, and he failed at that. So whether it was a bad decision or not, at the moment the new GM stepped in it was his responsibility to figure out how to manage that particular inherited asset, and he totally blew it, and didn't even create a possible chance to salvage that move. To blame the draft pick just assigns blame to the previous GM which is irrelevant since only the current GM had the responsibility to figure out what to do from there, and that's the real shame of the mngmt of that particular asset.
Icness
NFL Analyst

Post#160 » by Icness » Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:07 pm

TSE wrote:Well it wouldn't have been drafting him too high if we would have found a way to create an ROI off of that decision which is what the new GM needed to figure out how to do, and he failed at that. So whether it was a bad decision or not, at the moment the new GM stepped in it was his responsibility to figure out how to manage that particular inherited asset, and he totally blew it, and didn't even create a possible chance to salvage that move. To blame the draft pick just assigns blame to the previous GM which is irrelevant since only the current GM had the responsibility to figure out what to do from there, and that's the real shame of the mngmt of that particular asset.

You are assuming they didn't try to trade him. I can tell you for a fact they did but didn't get any kind of offer that was acceptable to them. Stanton had more value as a trusted backup while Stafford and Hill had shown injuries and had uncertain statuses than what he would have brought back in a trade. Your ignorance here for how the NFL does business is glaring.

Return to Detroit Lions