Player Restructuring Deals

Moderator: theBigLip

ajaX82
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 85

Player Restructuring Deals 

Post#1 » by ajaX82 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:56 pm

Burleson said Monday that he agreed to have his $4 million base salary for this year converted into a $3.125 signing bonus to save the Lions $2.17 million in salary cap space.

Quarterback Matthew Stafford and defensive tackle Ndamukong Suh (en-DAHM’-eh-ken SOO’) have reportedly reworked their deals as well to assist the team’s efforts in free agency that starts Tuesday.

Detroit hopes to retain offensive tackle Jeff Backus, cornerback Eric Wright and linebacker Stephen Tulloch and to extend receiver Calvin Johnson’s contract before he plays the final year of his deal in 2012.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=a ... -contracts

Potentially excellent news, especially if we could lock up CJ long term
TSE
Banned User
And1: 9

Re: Player Restructuring Deals 

Post#2 » by TSE » Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:08 am

Wow is that actually how you pronounce Suh's first name? If so I did not know that. I have seen several variations on it, so this is just a new one and I certainly have never heard anybody pronounce it that way. Anybody know for sure what the correct pronunciation is?

Thanks for the updates!
Icness
NFL Analyst
And1: 129

Post#3 » by Icness » Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:35 pm

Smart moves. Now if they could lock up Calvin Johnson to a long-term extension they could actually do a little shopping.

Sounds like Tulloch is going to see what he can get elsewhere but give the Lions the chance to match. I don't expect Wright back.
It's not whether you win or lose, it's how good you look playing the game
ajaX82
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#4 » by ajaX82 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 5:29 pm

Icness wrote:Smart moves. Now if they could lock up Calvin Johnson to a long-term extension they could actually do a little shopping.

Sounds like Tulloch is going to see what he can get elsewhere but give the Lions the chance to match. I don't expect Wright back.

Yeah number one priority should be a long term deal for Calvin. Losing Tulloch and Wright would be tough
ajaX82
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#5 » by ajaX82 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 2:52 am

Thought this might be interesting to some of you...I didn't know how it worked certainly

The Lions also completed the restructure of defensive tackle Ndmukong Suh's contract. Suh trimmed his $10.25-million base salary to the minimum ($540,000) and took the rest ($9.71 million) as a signing bonus. Because the bonus can be spread over the remaining years on his contract, the Lions saved nearly $7.3 million in cap space.

With the restructure, Suh's 2013 cap number now stands at more than $17 million.

http://www.freep.com/article/20120313/S ... t%7CSPORTS
Liqourish
RealGM
And1: 2,245

Post#6 » by Liqourish » Wed Mar 14, 2012 6:18 pm

This was nessecary for the team, but something alot of players don't agree to. Good for our guys for agreeing to it.

I expect Stafford to be extended before he ever sees that huge cap hit in the last year of his deal. Like we did with Calvin this offseason.

By then, the new TV deal money should be added to the cap and the Lions will be fine financially. As long as they keep future contracts in good shape.
FlipTSO
Banned User
And1: 24

Post#7 » by FlipTSO » Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:05 pm

If we get Landry and Gynn Jr that'd be 2 great pickups.

Upgrades at both KR/PR and Safety, and maybe as 3rd WR over Burleson as well.

Return to Detroit Lions