2012 Draft Night(s)

Moderator: theBigLip

kellmellus50
Starter
And1: 142

Re: 2012 Draft Night(s) 

Post#141 » by kellmellus50 » Sat Apr 28, 2012 2:35 am

Weaknesses
Bentley's struggles with man-to-man coverage in college could be a huge issue for him in the NFL. At Louisiana-Lafayette, Bentley played a lot of zone coverage, which didn't require him to use his footwork or handle receivers on his own as much as he would be asked to do in a man-to-man scheme. He is also basically a non-entity with regard to run defense. Because of his size, he struggles to play with physicality. This could hamper his pro career, given that he will undoubtedly have to be a special-teams player in order to stick early on.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2012/profiles/ ... id=2533024
ElectricMayhem
RealGM
And1: 11,164

Post#142 » by ElectricMayhem » Sat Apr 28, 2012 2:37 am

Does he have any strengths too, or just weaknesses, Kellmellus?
At the end of the day, it's not about wins and losses. Teamwork, fair play, and good sportsmanship make champions of us all.

Go arbitrary assortment of athletes! Beat the other arbitrary assortment of athletes or my mood will suffer!
ajaX82
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 85

Post#143 » by ajaX82 » Sat Apr 28, 2012 2:38 am

Icness wrote:I am very pleasantly surprised at Bentley. Immediate contributor as inside nickel corner. Dude plays bigger than his size and does not lack confidence. Extremely physical and quick in short range. He can blitz too. Not a great jumper or ball skills guy.

Thanks for the update

Altogether not a bad night. We got a good looking corner and a slot WR. Could have been worse.
Icness
NFL Analyst
And1: 129

Post#144 » by Icness » Sat Apr 28, 2012 2:39 am

He is not a wrap tackler but during Senior Bowl week he showed the ability to read the run and close on the ball. He'll be good against the Devin Hesters and Percy Harvins of the world, not so much against bigger slot guys or tight ends that flex out.
It's not whether you win or lose, it's how good you look playing the game
ajaX82
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#145 » by ajaX82 » Sat Apr 28, 2012 2:40 am

Prisco gives the pick a B
ajaX82
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#146 » by ajaX82 » Sat Apr 28, 2012 2:41 am

So what is the CB situation? Houston and Lacey starting, Bentley nickel and Smith 4th CB?
Icness
NFL Analyst

Post#147 » by Icness » Sat Apr 28, 2012 2:49 am

ajaX82 wrote:Prisco gives the pick a B

As Prisco himself said earlier today, he gave Clay Matthews pick a C- and Aaron Maybin a B+.
Icness
NFL Analyst

Post#148 » by Icness » Sat Apr 28, 2012 2:52 am

ajaX82 wrote:So what is the CB situation? Houston and Lacey starting, Bentley nickel and Smith 4th CB?

Camp battle between Lacey and Aaron Berry, who was best-charting corner on team last year. Bentley in nickel, Berry/Smith dime. Lacey is special teams stud so he sticks as #5 if he can't beat out Smith. I think he will and Smith is done in DET.
kellmellus50
Starter

Post#149 » by kellmellus50 » Sat Apr 28, 2012 3:12 am

Bentley relies on his aggressive nature to stay in coverage with bigger, stronger receivers, but that may not be enough to propel him to a starting job in the NFL. Bentley has a better chance of finding the field as a nickel corner covering slot receivers, which is a better physical matchup at the moment.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1151 ... roit-lions
DocRI
Starter
And1: 762

Post#150 » by DocRI » Sat Apr 28, 2012 3:15 am

Buckshot post —

1) Jeff, not to be a pain, but did you see my previous question about Broyles? I'm just really intrigued to know where the Lions had him ranked. Anyhow, since I"m greedy, here's another question for you ...

2) What do teams know about Bobby Massie that the media doesn't? He was basically atop Kiper's "Best Available" list all night, yet didn't get drafted. Any idea why he slid?

3) Like everybody else, I like the Bentley pick. He looks like a tackling CB, and considering the state of our secondary, I tend to think he'll be at least a nickel back for us. Regarding Alfonzo Denard, there was obviously no need to take him yet, as he's still on the board; that said, I'd be pretty stoked if we took a flyer on him tomorrow.

4) I still see LOTS of good talent on the board. Jared Crick could be a solid pass rusher (and you know our brain trust loves pass rushers). Josh Norman and Denard would be great CBs to take this late. Obviously, Massie is still on the board. There are a number of centers available in Philip Blake, David Molk, and Mike Brewster. And I'm still a fan of Ladarius Green at TE, too. Bottom line, we may be able to add two more situational players or developmental players / eventually starters tomorrow.

P.S. — ESPN just mentioned Broyles as one of the "notable 2nd round picks" on SportsCenter. Coming off that injury, expectations can (and should) be low for next year ... but as Jeff outlined, we didn't draft him for next year. We drafted him to replace Burleson and make sure Stafford has a similarly dangerous 3 WR set for years to come (plus if this pick hits, he'll be crazy-good value on a 2nd round rookie deal for the next five years).
Icness
NFL Analyst

Post#151 » by Icness » Sat Apr 28, 2012 3:31 am

DocRI wrote:Buckshot post —

1) Jeff, not to be a pain, but did you see my previous question about Broyles? I'm just really intrigued to know where the Lions had him ranked. Anyhow, since I"m greedy, here's another question for you ...

2) What do teams know about Bobby Massie that the media doesn't? He was basically atop Kiper's "Best Available" list all night, yet didn't get drafted. Any idea why he slid?

3) Like everybody else, I like the Bentley pick. He looks like a tackling CB, and considering the state of our secondary, I tend to think he'll be at least a nickel back for us. Regarding Alfonzo Denard, there was obviously no need to take him yet, as he's still on the board; that said, I'd be pretty stoked if we took a flyer on him tomorrow.

4) I still see LOTS of good talent on the board. Jared Crick could be a solid pass rusher (and you know our brain trust loves pass rushers). Josh Norman and Denard would be great CBs to take this late. Obviously, Massie is still on the board. There are a number of centers available in Philip Blake, David Molk, and Mike Brewster. And I'm still a fan of Ladarius Green at TE, too. Bottom line, we may be able to add two more situational players or developmental players / eventually starters tomorrow.

P.S. — ESPN just mentioned Broyles as one of the "notable 2nd round picks" on SportsCenter. Coming off that injury, expectations can (and should) be low for next year ... but as Jeff outlined, we didn't draft him for next year. We drafted him to replace Burleson and make sure Stafford has a similarly dangerous 3 WR set for years to come (plus if this pick hits, he'll be crazy-good value on a 2nd round rookie deal for the next five years).

Sorry my friend, lot on the plate right now...
Dont know where exactly they had Broyles but I know they had him higher than Quick or Jeffery. They wanted an inside receiver, not another outside guy.

Bobby Massie is country strong and country simple, if you know what I mean. I am shocked he hasn't gone yet but there have always been questions about if he can handle it mentally. I'd happily take him tomorrow.

Dennard is a hothead that can be taken off his game. Lions have enough guys like that already. I don't see him as a Lion.

What I see tomorrow:
Another DB, perhaps Antonio Allen. I'll bet it's safety and not corner.
A speedy RB
A depth interior OL. Molk would be nice.
A project pass rusher. Adrian Hamilton of Prairie View is a poor man's Bruce Irvin.
kellmellus50
Starter

Post#152 » by kellmellus50 » Sat Apr 28, 2012 12:25 pm

it beats drafting a first-round receiver every year.

Mayhew and Schwartz are just drafting receivers in the second round.
If you watched the offense sag when Burleson's ankle was bad and Titus Young was getting back from his hammy this pick makes sense. Good teams go 4 deep with quality WR's. The Lions didn't last year and at times it hurt them. Mayhew made no bones about the fact that WR was a need

next pick should be a RB

Detroit could use more help in the secondary and bringing in a safety later in the draft would not come as a surprise.

Other good cornerbacks remain on the board as well and the Lions could add more depth to the position if the value feels right.

Even Chris Berman commented last night that the Lions are the one team that can blow the lid off any game.

This Lion offense is stacked...there are pro bowlers every where and we havnt even seen Leshoure yet. Stafford, Johnson, Pettigrew, Young had a great rookie year, Best, Leshoure, Scheffler and now Broyles and Reilly Reiff on the line. Defensively, we have Suh, Delmas, Tulloch, fairley, Houston, Avril...those are 5 potential pro bowlers just on defense...this team is getting stacked
TSE
Banned User
And1: 9

Post#153 » by TSE » Sat Apr 28, 2012 4:48 pm

Dang I was out of town for the last 3 days for work and didn't have a chance to get on here so i missed all the draft banter, but for me I just think in each round we had very interesting options and i would have rather traded down at each situation or picked a different player, but you guys already knew I wouldn't be happy with what we did no matter what, so no surprises from me in that regard!

Great job by Kellmellus on the Broyles foresight indeed! :)

For this next pick I'm guessing they get either George Illoka as best safety remaining or top CB like Dennard. RB could happen any time now too although I'd rather see that near the end of the draft. Or another T with Zebrie or Massie to shore up the tackle spots even more and give us flexibility with Gosder if we can't or don't want to re-sign him for the future. Or David Molk.
ElectricMayhem
RealGM
And1: 11,164

Post#154 » by ElectricMayhem » Sat Apr 28, 2012 4:59 pm

I don't pretend to know much about who is around at this juncture in the draft, but two of the top DBs Icness listed are still around for the Lions pick. Iloka? Boykin?

Eh? Traded down? Not that much of a fan of either, I guess.
At the end of the day, it's not about wins and losses. Teamwork, fair play, and good sportsmanship make champions of us all.

Go arbitrary assortment of athletes! Beat the other arbitrary assortment of athletes or my mood will suffer!
TSE
Banned User

Post#155 » by TSE » Sat Apr 28, 2012 5:01 pm

Finally a trade, YAY! It's about damn time. Nothing pisses me off about this team more than not doing more trades. I could care less about giving away Joe Looney to the 49ers since we have lots of options to get a similar guy of value with our next pick or BETTER so picking up some extra profit will help in some tiny way since it's way late in the game to sell a pick.
ajaX82
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#156 » by ajaX82 » Sat Apr 28, 2012 5:10 pm

Trading down was a nice move and picks up a 6th. well played
ajaX82
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#157 » by ajaX82 » Sat Apr 28, 2012 5:19 pm

A sneaky pick here could be Jared Crick, if he can play DE. Didn't look the same after he lost Suh next to him, but guess who we have on our team...
ajaX82
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#158 » by ajaX82 » Sat Apr 28, 2012 5:27 pm

Ronell Lewis, LB from Oklahoma. first reaction is I really like it. 2-3 rd projection on him, thats value
ajaX82
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#159 » by ajaX82 » Sat Apr 28, 2012 5:31 pm

From what I can tell, he is an athletic freak who may move to DE. Very strong: 36 reps at the combine. Lots of talent, but Oklahoma had trouble channeling it. Some character issues. Plays hard and fast

Boom/bust pick...I really dig it!
TSE
Banned User

Post#160 » by TSE » Sat Apr 28, 2012 5:31 pm

Haven't scouted him, but seems like our first value pick. I think we reached on the first 3 when we could have traded down for an equal or better choice each time. Man we suck at drafting. At least every pick has at least had some positional logic to it that we can get use out of these players.

Return to Detroit Lions