ImageImageImageImage

Fri 8/17 Detriot vs Baltimore Ravens 8:00 kickoff

Moderator: theBigLip

kellmellus50
Starter
And1: 142

Fri 8/17 Detriot vs Baltimore Ravens 8:00 kickoff 

Post#1 » by kellmellus50 » Tue Aug 14, 2012 2:49 am

This game we need to see improvement from the QBs to the DBs.

Also our back-up WRs need to catch and hold on to balls.

Special teams need to tackle.

Did i leave anything out ? oh yes lets win the game.

P.S.Andrew Luck is playing look to see what he does to the lions DBs.
Colts last game they won 38-3 why can't the lions do this ?

Prediction.... Lions 17 - Baltimore Ravens 30 in the last game i said lions to win and they lost so i am going to be more conserative, it's preseason for me too.

Bently get burned again but also gets an INT again.

Kellen Moore His quarterback rating (9.8) was pitiful.

key issue is NO INJURIES.
Blkbrd671
RealGM
And1: 4,819

Re: Fri 8/17 Detriot vs Baltimore 8:00 kickoff 

Post#2 » by Blkbrd671 » Wed Aug 15, 2012 5:03 am

baltimore? You OG huh
kellmellus50
Starter

Re: Fri 8/17 Detriot vs Baltimore Ravens 8:00 kickoff 

Post#3 » by kellmellus50 » Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:13 pm

Kellen Moore, fighting to convince the Lions they should keep three quarterbacks, didn't make a very strong opening argument. Schwartz gave him a pass, blaming the protection for putting him in constant duress, but he had more than a full half to make an impression and he didn't move the offense.

He was under duress but he also held on to the ball too long. And while he does seem to have command of what he's supposed to do, there's still a gap between knowing what to do and getting it done.

That bomb to end the game looked like it was traveling in slow motion

if Kellen Moore plays his way off the 53-man roster and onto the Practice Squad or perhaps even lower, we might roll with 2 QBs this year.
Icness
NFL Analyst
And1: 129

Re: Fri 8/17 Detriot vs Indianapolis 8:00 kickoff 

Post#4 » by Icness » Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:24 pm

This one I'm more focused on the offense. Colts are making a scheme change to a 3-4 and don't have anyone that really fits into it, and their depth is worse than Millen-era Lions. They have two good OLBs (Mathis and Freeney, both learning the position) and Kavell Connor doesn't suck at one ILB spot, Bethea is a solid safety, that's it. Even the second string offense should parade up and down the field.

I want to see Willie Young have a strong outing too. Sounds like Fairley might not play.

Leshoure actually practiced today (Wed.) so we might see him in mop up duty. Unlikely but we can dream...
It's not whether you win or lose, it's how good you look playing the game
kellmellus50
Starter

Post#5 » by kellmellus50 » Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:09 am

The Detroit Lions placed cornerback Drew Coleman on injured reserve after he suffered a concussion in practice and claimed guard/center Bill Nagy off waivers.

The Cowboys released Nagy after he had ankle surgery Wednesday. He started four games, including Week 1, last season as a rookie before breaking his left ankle to end his season.

http://www.freep.com/article/20120816/S ... ext|Sports
TSE
Banned User
And1: 9

Re: Fri 8/17 Detriot vs Indianapolis 8:00 kickoff 

Post#6 » by TSE » Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:15 am

Check out this article about Nagy...

http://www.rantsports.com/dallas-cowboy ... bill-nagy/
kellmellus50
Starter

Post#7 » by kellmellus50 » Fri Aug 17, 2012 2:18 am

TSE wrote:Check out this article about Nagy...

http://www.rantsports.com/dallas-cowboy ... bill-nagy/

Good artical maybe the lions finally made a good move hopefully they will keep him on the roster.

Quote:Nagy was arguably the best offensive lineman on the Cowboys’ roster last season, so this move makes absolutely no sense.You can bet your bottom dollar on this: Nagy won’t go floating around in the free agent pool. Whichever team claims him off waivers will reap the rewards because he’ll be starting by Week 3

side note:Lions' rookie quarterback R.J. Archer aiming for some playing time this game watch for him in the 4th quarter.
kellmellus50
Starter

Post#8 » by kellmellus50 » Sat Aug 18, 2012 3:10 am

Lions Win 27-12 Special teams need to tackle.

Can we keep stephfon green ? inplace of logan

Moore's throws don't look the prettiest, but so far they've been on target.Maybe a young Shaun Hill?
If possible, I would like to see them sneak him onto the practice squad. Put him in a room with a weight bench, and say, "Here. Lift these."

He seems to be an accurate passer, but some of his longer passes seem to hang in the air, and they just scream int. He needs to be able to put some zip on his passes.

3 QB's threw for 5,000 yards last year, not one of them won the Super Bowl.

Post#9 » by TSE » Sat Aug 18, 2012 5:11 pm

Yeah Green looked good and he was giving it everything he had yesterday. Bell did really well too except for that goal-line fumble. Once our other RBs are healthy we will have 7 RBs, can't wait to see who gets cut if we can't find a way to trade anybody, some interesting cuts will have to come about at some point. I don't think you should give up on Logan yet until you see what he can do with his new hybrid position. We should get everything out of him that he's worth if he's worth anything and we haven't seen what he can do yet. Somebody has to emerge so we can get trade value or we could be in a position to create a waste and that can't be tolerated. We need to make a success out of every player on this roster if possible AND benefit from it. This is where greatness has the potential to emerge if we can harness the value of our entire roster in an efficient manner.

A lot of those balls Moore throws that are screaming to be an INT have often been the fault of the receiver not running the route right, or adjusting correctly, or flat out not making a routine play. He's had some bad support so far and with our least talented WRs and that's pretty impressive that his flutter ball style has worked as well as it has considering that. If we actually designed a plan around using him and our best WRs got comfortable with him he could do a lot better.

Other comments about the game:

Nice to see Broyles get his feet wet with a pair of catches and Reiff looks like he's doing really well. Whitehead showed again that he is raw but he can be pretty exciting once he gets polished up. Stovall still sucks at ST and I hope we don't waste a roster spot on him, and when are we going to fire the ST coaches? Wendling had a strong game and he'll be a lock for the roster. Really we are going to be cutting somebody good at almost every position so now's the time to figure out how to sell the excess players we can't keep.

I didn't like Carmen Messina going down voluntarily after his pick. I appreciate he was trying to lead and demonstrate good safe strategy in securing a win; great so we know he can do that, but I expect our players to know how to do that by default as a requirement. What I'm more interested in is the effectiveness after an INT catch and I wanted to see how he handled himself and if he could hang onto the ball after a big collision. I also wanted to see how our team reacted to blocking for him and who has their head in the game and knows how to identify and execute implied assignments. If cuts come down to a very small tie, and they probably will, then he waived his chance of gaining small bonus evaluation points. Now is not the time to be playing for a win, now is the time to be preparing to win the regular season games and he discounted our ability to measure that in some small way. That wasn't a good choice. This is a PRACTICE scrimmage that should be approached from a championship-driven perspective and I don't feel we exuded that attitude as well as we could have; we need to be more mature about embracing greatness. Way too much activity for Calvin Johnson too, we aggressively put him into harm's way too often.

The score could have been worse as the Ravens were just over-matched on talent (not counting ST of course). And I don't know who is going to win this fiercely exciting punting battle.
kellmellus50
Starter

Post#10 » by kellmellus50 » Sun Aug 19, 2012 12:26 pm

I do not like our WR depth after the starters and I see a lot of receivers being cut, we will have to pick up one later on the final cuts from other teams.Maybe take a chance on Brad Johnson if their is no one better out there.

4 out of the 6 top receivers for the lions last game are RB's something is wrong here.

Did anyone notice Nate did not play last game?

Lions will have to keep more CB and RB because of many injuries at those positions.

I like everything TSE said and agree with his player assessments.

Special teams will be our biggest problem this year and will have to work on that area all season long to get it right.
Icness
NFL Analyst
And1: 129

Post#11 » by Icness » Sun Aug 19, 2012 10:17 pm

Nice to see Broyles get his feet wet with a pair of catches and Reiff looks like he's doing really well. Whitehead showed again that he is raw but he can be pretty exciting once he gets polished up. Stovall still sucks at ST and I hope we don't waste a roster spot on him, and when are we going to fire the ST coaches? Wendling had a strong game and he'll be a lock for the roster. Really we are going to be cutting somebody good at almost every position so now's the time to figure out how to sell the excess players we can't keep.

Totally on board with all that. Wendling and Silva both played very well, better than Speivey who struggled early but settled down okay when facing BAL's 2nd and 3rd teams.

Some other thoughts:
Jason Fox looked very good in his one series with the 1s and dominated Paul Kruger on the two series they locked up. Kruger is expected to replace T Suggs but Fox consistently had his way with him.

JC Oram looked worthy of practice squad with the way he played late. Can play both G and C, showed quickness and toughness.

Donahue's punt that went out at the 2 should end the punting battle right there. With the coverage units apparently this bad, having a guy that can directionally punt is critical.

Justin Miller looked okay in the slot nickel spot, quick to react but lacking instincts. Looked like he hadn't played in a couple years, which he hasn't.

On Green's long run he planted and exploded without hesitation. That's something Smith and Williams don't offer.

Still embarrassed with the penalties though to be fair the Ravens were arguably even sloppier with them. The tackling was awful.
It's not whether you win or lose, it's how good you look playing the game
kellmellus50
Starter

Post#12 » by kellmellus50 » Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:14 am

Quote:On Green's long run he planted and exploded without hesitation. That's something Smith and Williams don't offer.

I hope the lions can find a place for him on the 53 roster.I think a team will pick him off on the practice squad.

The special teams are a big mess starting with the coach they need to shock the players and change some of them.
Lionlifer
Rookie
And1: 626

Post#13 » by Lionlifer » Mon Aug 20, 2012 1:01 pm

kellmellus50 wrote: Put him in a room with a weight bench, and say, "Here. Lift these."

I think this might be the best statement ever made on this board, bravo Kell
2016 Pistons All Time Fantasy League Champ!
TSE
Banned User

Post#14 » by TSE » Mon Aug 20, 2012 3:27 pm

kellmellus50 wrote:"Here. Lift these."

Kellen Moore: Coach, why do you want me to steal these weights? I don't understand.
TSE
Banned User

Post#15 » by TSE » Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:35 pm

Icness wrote:
Donahue's punt that went out at the 2 should end the punting battle right there. With the coverage units apparently this bad, having a guy that can directionally punt is critical.

I'm just concerned about Donahue's leg strength. Yes that was a great punt, but I have no way of knowing how consistently he hits his directional punts compared to Graham. Graham had a punt that died where it hit without a player even needing to touch the ball, and he seems to have a slight statistical edge on keeping the ball inside the 20, plus with a tiny bit more leg strength. I like Donahue because he's younger and half the salary so it probably makes more sense to take the youth and the money in such a close contest. The veteran minimum salary rule should be axing Graham out of a job.
kellmellus50
Starter

Post#16 » by kellmellus50 » Tue Aug 21, 2012 2:32 am

Lionlifer wrote:
kellmellus50 wrote: Put him in a room with a weight bench, and say, "Here. Lift these."

I think this might be the best statement ever made on this board, bravo Kell

Thanks for the complement but actually some one else said this and i like it ,and quoted him .i just forgot to give him credit.

Return to Detroit Lions