ImageImageImageImage

Week-2 : Detroit at San Francisco 49ers Sun -8:20

Moderator: theBigLip

Icness
NFL Analyst
And1: 129

Re: Week-2 : Detroit at San Francisco 49ers Sun -8:20 

Post#21 » by Icness » Mon Sep 17, 2012 3:15 pm

Missing the top three players in the secondary is a real problem. Houston should be back next week. Bentley will be 50/50. Delmas is still an unknown but it might be time to consider shelving him for an extended period.
It's not whether you win or lose, it's how good you look playing the game
Blkbrd671
RealGM
And1: 4,819

Post#22 » by Blkbrd671 » Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:01 am

Defensively our Secondary was absolute crap, horrible at covering tackling etc. 3 separate chances on 3rd and long to hold them, and we couldn't do it. I don't understand how SF can run that TE Trap and spring Gore like 6 times and the D not adjust.

Also where is Avril and Young!? Suh is the most overrated DT, it seems he has a see ball get ball mentality and always over running the play.

Offensively is where i'm most concerned. Stafford continues to struggle, he had more horrid passes than good ones. It seems he's gun shy with the ball until he absolutely(4th Q) has to throw it in tight spots. Titus Young is all hype, he suppose to be a great compliment to CJ, but hasn't done squat but get in trouble. I liked our offensive game plan in that we had to commit to the run, and keep the D honest. i also thought our motley crew of RB did a good job as well as Logan on ST. Our Oline also did a decent job.

If we had a healthy secondary, and 1 of our 2 RB's back i think this would have been a lot closer, especially in the 4th. Stafford needs to step up
Icness
NFL Analyst

Post#23 » by Icness » Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:34 am

Titus Young has been a major disappointment, totally agree. He's had more penalties than catches so far this year.

Stafford is what he is. He's going to make some bad throws every game, probably throw at least one pick every game. That's what you get as a byproduct of his confidence and his style. It's the way Dan Marino played. Not directly comparing Stafford to Marino, but they both share the belief that they can make any throw anywhere on the field into any coverage. Sometimes it produces brilliance, other times it produces head scratching INTs and misreads. Favre was like that too. You have to accept the bad with the good on that. I know it can be frustrating but I'd rather have Stafford than a "safer" good QB like Rivers or Flacco.
Icness
NFL Analyst

Post#24 » by Icness » Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:19 am

On the "just when it couldn't get any worse" front: Drayton Florence is out for at least 6 weeks, probably the rest of the season. Houston and Bentley cannot get back fast enough.
Blkbrd671
RealGM
And1: 4,819

Post#25 » by Blkbrd671 » Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:43 am

Icness wrote:Titus Young has been a major disappointment, totally agree. He's had more penalties than catches so far this year.

Stafford is what he is. He's going to make some bad throws every game, probably throw at least one pick every game. That's what you get as a byproduct of his confidence and his style. It's the way Dan Marino played. Not directly comparing Stafford to Marino, but they both share the belief that they can make any throw anywhere on the field into any coverage. Sometimes it produces brilliance, other times it produces head scratching INTs and misreads. Favre was like that too. You have to accept the bad with the good on that. I know it can be frustrating but I'd rather have Stafford than a "safer" good QB like Rivers or Flacco.

He's one of the main reason's we have struggled, we need some sort of production out of the other receivers. anyone down for TO?......borderline joking

I don't buy into the Marino/Stafford comparison just for the fact that he doesn't throw into coverages until there's pressure, and even then its off his back foot. Like forcing it, instead of just throwing it. He doesn't step up in the pocket, saw a couple plays where he could have avoided pressure and created time. he just doesn't seem comfortable. One thing i think we do need to change getting stafford comfortable in motion. Get him comforatable on the move. PO

DFP reported we are working out Grant and Slanton. i'd rather have either of those than Williams.
TSE
Banned User
And1: 9

Post#26 » by TSE » Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:39 pm

My thoughts on the game...

Our strategy is still deplorable on key fundamental gameplan choices and other clock/sideline issues. Kassim Osgood could have got a penalty by getting all excited for picking up that fumble that he didn't even create. You can't spike the ball after a turnover. He is not a good player and he went out of his way to create a stupid penalty and we are lucky to get away with it. Drayton Florence is such garbage, I can't believe Ice is defending this guy. He was ABSOLUTELY terrible again, and he is not valuable enough for any team in this league! We need to move on from him and hopefully we can just get him on IR and be done with it already, please! He was lucky that he didn't give up a huge play to Vernon Davis when he didn't even look back and Davis dropped the ball with no help from Florence, that was all on VD. And then he was the guy that completely whiffed on VD for that big play in the 3rd quarter.

I still passionately hate having all of these worthless veterans in our secondary that have no skill or interesting value to offer to the team, they ALL played horribly. Erik Coleman almost blew out a knee by missing a tackle so poorly, followed by another bad missed tackle of a less embarrassing sort, Jacob Lacey had a pass interference against him and not very good play all day. Durant had two bad plays in the game although I can't remember exactly what they were as I wasn't at home and I'm going off of my scratch notes. KVB also missed a tackle and grabbed a guy's face mask once, and then he was on the sidelines talking to the whole DL and I was scared wondering what kind of crap tips he might be poisoning their minds with.

Anyhow that's my gripes for the day! I don't think Erik Coleman, Kassim Osgood, KVB, Justin Durant, and Jacob Lacey have any business being on this team. They should have been traded for what they are worth, or cut. Those guys are not a good influence on the team right now and they are NOT helping out. GET RID OF THEM!

Oh and nice job by the rookie Whitehead with causing his first turnover, and on ST, that's pretty cool. And too bad Kevin Smith is all heart and no talent. This is another game that the coaches and GM cost us, the players that should have been there did well enough to give us a chance and the non-players blew this opportunity and deserve the blame for this loss.
BadMofoPimp
RealGM
And1: 11,599

Post#27 » by BadMofoPimp » Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:13 pm

Plaxico Burress is still without a team. Any CB's out there for sale?

Provin Ya'll Wrong!!!
TSE
Banned User
And1: 9

Post#28 » by TSE » Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:54 pm

BadMofoPimp wrote:Plaxico Burress is still without a team. Any CB's out there for sale?

I've got an hour to kill so I'll brainstorm some CB ideas...

I thought PacMan would have been a good buy for a possibly low price since he has been in the doghouse and devalued off the field, and he had a sweet punt return TD last week and now his stock is starting to grow so scratch that choice. But he signed with them in the offseason so there was no need to even trade for him, we could have had him for free but we are too chicken with guys like that especially after all of our recent arrests. I would still trade for him though because those 5 losers I mentioned are all guys that I'd be more than happy to pawn off on another team and some team out there might think these guys are worth a draft pick or a player exchange. But they won't swap him out now that his stock rose from that big TD play.

Vontae Davis would have been a guy I would think could have been a great deal. I wouldn't have wanted to part with a pick if I could get them to take KVB and a package of castaway players. I really think we could have found a deal that would have suited the Dolphins after they examined our full roster because we have expendable players everywhere. I think we should call Indy and still try to trade for him! Maybe Irsay can find a combo of players on our team that are worth more than Vontae to him.

Antonio Cromartie isn't that great and always seems to be in the doghouse. I wouldn't be that excited to trade the Jets for him, but again he's another guy that we could swap a player for if we can find a difference of opinion on them liking any of our nondescript players or a combo of them.

Guys that might be worth a look that could be possibly had for a decent price?

Leodis McKelvin - not sure where the Bills stand on him

Alfonzo Dennard - 7th round pick I liked, wonder if the Pats would swap him to us, I'd take Kellen Winslow too and get rid of Heller or Sheffler to some other team, or to the Pats

Demarcus VanDyke - super fast and he was free and we didn't take him, I'd swap a junk player for him if the Steelers would go for it

Tracy Porter - I thought his stock seemed like a good price in the past as not highly coveted, but now after that big INT play from the previous week he's no longer a good buy, but again if they would bite on a guy like KVB then i'm all for it. Everette Brown was more valuable to me for usage and KVB is only a trade value to me.

Morris Claiborne - longshot, but just curious since there seemed to be some early drama or concern about him, but can't really see a viable trade route to get him, just wondering what Dallas thinks of him at this point

Amukamara - just in case he's unhappy want to keep him in mind

DRC - thought that I heard he might be available in the past and the Eagles have a couple of bodies there maybe we could find a deal

Tramon Williams - I would want to know his price too, trading within the division is an exciting opportunity that isn't often explored. I don't buy people that have the "oh they would never trade that guy" theory, he's worth what he's worth and maybe they overvalue something that we have.

Chris Gamble - veteran that might be a decent price and seem to think he was in the doghouse at one point

Aqib Talib - obviously not somebody you want to get too excited about, but we gotta do what we gotta do.

Mark Barron - I know he's not a CB but I'm still bummed we didn't land this guy from a trade and saw his name next to Talib. His destiny should have been to be a Lion in my mind.

Patrick Peterson - let's talk!

Janoris Jenkins - since he wasn't a super high pick I'm wondering if we could creatively pry him away

49ers CBs - they have a few possibilities like Tarell Brown, Perrish Cox, Carlos Rogers, what do they want from us, maybe we can have Whitner too, but probably not he's another guy that an earlier moment of a lowered stock and acquisitions are all about timing to get max value

Joe Haden - suspended and what's his price

Domonique Franks - cheap player swap since he was a waiver cut

Alphonso Smith - we have nothing to lose but reject players we currently have, I'm not scared that other teams don't think he is worth anything

Aaron Berry - when his suspension is up I'd give him a shot, as long as he promises not to give me one!

So there's some fun guys to think about of different sorts. I'm not for trading away any draft picks unless they are Round 3 and beyond and think we should stick with player swaps for now as I'm anticipating using our top 2 picks in next year's draft both potentially in the secondary. This could be a good draft and perfect timing to invest heavy with picks there, that's my favorite positional group right now looking forward, and of course my plans ALWAYS consider the future and the present to figure out a strategy that works for now and also for later. We need to make sure we don't make some kind of deal that counteracts with our options to use our picks on these good deal CBs/Ss that will be entering the league next year.

I also wouldn't mind going after any interesting guys on IR that can't play this year but might be had on the cheap if there's a good deal available.

And LOL we just picked up Jerome Murphy off of waivers even though he wasn't good enough 10 days ago when we was waived the first time. It's better to take a shot with him than Kevin Barnes who was released, but we clearly have trouble with our decision making progress at so many levels, and this is just a small reconfirmation of our confusion. I hope we don't lose any draft picks for Barnes, hopefully that conditional pick required him to play a certain amount of games or snap count. That would be sad if we gave anything up when we can't figure out when there are better options that are free.

Return to Detroit Lions