ImageImageImageImage

Trade Suh

Moderator: theBigLip

Blkbrd671
RealGM
And1: 4,819

Trade Suh 

Post#1 » by Blkbrd671 » Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:54 am

Just Read a article by Drew Sharp on this topic. thought it be interesting to discuss

PO:

Wierd fact is i was contemplating this before i read the article. Suh is straight up overrated. He had a amazing rookie season and that's it. This was very obvious last game where JJ Watt completely dominated our line of scrimmage, a sort of domination we have yet to see from Suh. Another fact is that opposing teams seem to clearly exploit Suh by making him over run the plays, not something we want to see from our supposed anchor up front. Normally you want the other teams running away from your anchor. When you combine his lack of performance with all his off the field and on the field issues , its really hard to make a case to keep him.

Lets say Suh starts to play up to par with his rookie season, do we really think that he's not going to want a ridiculous amount of money, and do you really think that paying him is going to rid the lions of his off and on the field issues. i almost see a haynesworth situation oncoming.

Now lets say we trade him, while he is a head case, i'm pretty sure we can find a team that's willing to take a chance on him. We'll definitely get a first rounder and mulitiple picks, and i would assume a player that is a upgrade at another key position. So we have more picks to address areas need with good young talent, more cap flexibility to retain PRODUCTIVE players, and less off the field issues that are distracting to the team.

why keep suh?
Lionlifer
Rookie
And1: 626

Re: Trade Suh 

Post#2 » by Lionlifer » Thu Nov 29, 2012 2:24 pm

If we were to move him, I'd want what ATL gave up for Julio as the starting point. Multiple Firsts, Thirds, and some other picks to boot. If we only get a Roy WIlliams type return, I'll pass.

I still think he can be a game changer, he just needs to work on not overrunning the plays, and stop being a dumbass on and off the field.
2016 Pistons All Time Fantasy League Champ!
ajaX82
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 85

Post#3 » by ajaX82 » Thu Nov 29, 2012 4:15 pm

I don't think you will ever get enough value for him. Your points are valid, but I can't give him away for 60 cents on the dollar. I do think he is having a good season, even though his sack total isn't as high. Last game he caused absolute chaos for Schaub and that line
Icness
NFL Analyst
And1: 129

Post#4 » by Icness » Thu Nov 29, 2012 5:06 pm

So the basic gist of the thought is that the Lions should trade Suh because he's going to play well enough that he'll get a max deal, but if he doesn't he's a headcase/bum and we don't need no stinking bums? I guess life was indeed easier when we were 0-16. I guess the Cavaliers should have traded Lebron three years early because of that, instead of racking up series of playoff wins and keeping fans excited about the team.

Think about why you want to trade him. What are you going to realistically get in return? A draft pick or two, with a 50% chance of getting someone who might be 80% as good as what Suh is when he's on his game? Why not just keep him for the next 3 years for which he's already under contract?

And about that contract...it makes him absolutely 100% untradeable. The trade accelerator in his deal would make his cap figure over $20M for each of the next two years. There aren't 5 teams that can afford that, and those that can would never handicap themselves with a massive deal like that. Aside from the fact he has a poor reputation amongst players and his production/play is only worthy of that kind of salary about 25% of the time.

I get the sentiment that it's better to try and get some return if it looks like he's going to leave in free agency in 2016. But that's a conversation for the draft season of 2014 at the earliest. Any move now is selling low, like buying a house in 2008 for $200K that's worth $80K now.
It's not whether you win or lose, it's how good you look playing the game
Blkbrd671
RealGM

Post#5 » by Blkbrd671 » Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:46 pm

ajaX82 wrote:I don't think you will ever get enough value for him. Your points are valid, but I can't give him away for 60 cents on the dollar. I do think he is having a good season, even though his sack total isn't as high. Last game he caused absolute chaos for Schaub and that line

if we are giving him up for 60cents on the dollar then i'd rather keep him, but i was expecting more like 80-90 cents on the dollar. i also think he's having a good season , however it still bothers me that we hear/see more of his on and off the field issues than his play. its partially my unrealistic expectations of him to make a game saving play on every 3rd down.
Blkbrd671
RealGM

Post#6 » by Blkbrd671 » Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:08 am

Icness wrote:So the basic gist of the thought is that the Lions should trade Suh because he's going to play well enough that he'll get a max deal, but if he doesn't he's a headcase/bum and we don't need no stinking bums? I guess life was indeed easier when we were 0-16. I guess the Cavaliers should have traded Lebron three years early because of that, instead of racking up series of playoff wins and keeping fans excited about the team.

It was more trying to avoid a A. Haynesworth situation. Additionally Lebron dominated the eastern conference for those 3 years, i haven't seen Suh dominate(like his rookie season) since then.

Think about why you want to trade him. What are you going to realistically get in return? A draft pick or two, with a 50% chance of getting someone who might be 80% as good as what Suh is when he's on his game? Why not just keep him for the next 3 years for which he's already under contract?

i was thinking that we would get a more than that especially with the way football guru's hype him to be. and my idea of trading him would be so that we could address area's of need and be a better team overall rather than just our front seven. Additionally since college Suh has been in the headlines for multiple issues outside of football and consistently acts innocent. Do we really think that one day he's going to grow up? that the issues won't eventually catch up to him. Has he progressed as a football player? from what i saw in the niners game, it was embarrassing that the niners where still whooping us on the same play from last year and all through the game. I haven't seen him adjust.

And about that contract...it makes him absolutely 100% untradeable. The trade accelerator in his deal would make his cap figure over $20M for each of the next two years. There aren't 5 teams that can afford that, and those that can would never handicap themselves with a massive deal like that. Aside from the fact he has a poor reputation amongst players and his production/play is only worthy of that kind of salary about 25% of the time.

I have no argument for this as you have a point. However i noticed that in the previous paragraph you hyped him to be a player in which we couldn't draft a another player to be 50% of what he is. Is keeping a player that is 100 times better but only 25% of the time worth but has issues 50% of the time worth the risk? My fear again is that his value will be even lower than what it already is. It does make more sense to keep him and see if he can adjust,my hope is that he stays out of trouble

I get the sentiment that it's better to try and get some return if it looks like he's going to leave in free agency in 2016. But that's a conversation for the draft season of 2014 at the earliest. Any move now is selling low, like buying a house in 2008 for $200K that's worth $80K now.

i hope that this is the lowest we'll ever see his value.
Sheeeeed
Starter
And1: 226

Post#7 » by Sheeeeed » Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:07 am

Suh doesn't dominate like he did his rookie year, but he sure does make everyone else around him better by commanding a double team.

What Haynesworth situation are you talking about? His $100 million contract with the Redskins? Suh already has a big money contract, and hes not fat and lazy like Haynesworth. It might make sense to trade him on the final year of his contract if he doesn't want to sign a reasonable deal, not now.

Return to Detroit Lions