Draft Prospects 12/13

Moderator: theBigLip

ajaX82
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 85

Draft Prospects 12/13 

Post#1 » by ajaX82 » Mon Dec 3, 2012 1:52 am

So with our last uninspiring loss it looks about that time to scout the college ranks and discuss who makes us better, who we need, etc

Guys I'm interested in:

Te'o - leadership and playmaker and LB. We need both

J. Matthews - Potential major upgrade at RT; him and Reiff become cornerstones for line

Milliner- Need help in the secondary as always. Best CB on the board probably

You pick-em DE - With Avril potentially walking and KVB not getting younger, we need to restock at DE. Bunch of guys in this range, so it depends where we finish/what we prefer in a DE

I'd list someone like Warmack, but as I recall Mayhew would never draft interior guys in the first, so no dice
Blkbrd671
RealGM
And1: 4,819

Re: Draft Prospects 12/13 

Post#2 » by Blkbrd671 » Mon Dec 3, 2012 2:14 am

Positions of Need(PON)

Rounds:

1. CB
2. LB
3. S
4. T or Guard
5 DE

If Teo is available when we pick in the first round, i'm all for getting him and addressing our secondary in the 2nd round. You can't teach his instinct and leadership. i have a feeling he's not going to test well at the combine and drop

i'd like to take a look at a guy like Matheiu, who i understand to be in the 4th or 5th round. He has the intangibles, and couldn't be any more riskier than what else you'd find in those rounds. He'd address a secondary issues as well as ST.

Our secondary isn't nearly as bad next season as we'd think. We should get houston and bentley in theory
should progress. Its a matter of keeping them healthy

I'd be perfectly fine addressing strictly defense in the first 5 rounds unless a good O-line prospect drops

As for our DE problem- i'm still high on Young and Jackson..........or maybe i'm still high. haha
Lionlifer
Rookie
And1: 626

Post#3 » by Lionlifer » Thu Dec 6, 2012 7:12 pm

I'd rather see something like this:

1) DE
2) S
3) CB/LB
4) CB/LB

I think our Safety play is awful, but I don't think we would let a premium pass rusher get by us in the first. I'm fairly high on our LB's, I think Tulloch and Levy are solid enough to win playoff games. I also think Houston is a stud, and I have some faith in the CBs we drafted last year, pushing the need for another down in my mind.

Really we could be without our tow starting ends next year, KVB for cap reasons, and Avril cause he's going to want a ton of money. I think that has to be priority one.
2016 Pistons All Time Fantasy League Champ!
Blkbrd671
RealGM

Post#4 » by Blkbrd671 » Fri Dec 7, 2012 1:40 am

Lionlifer wrote:I'd rather see something like this:

1) DE
2) S
3) CB/LB
4) CB/LB

I think our Safety play is awful, but I don't think we would let a premium pass rusher get by us in the first. I'm fairly high on our LB's, I think Tulloch and Levy are solid enough to win playoff games. I also think Houston is a stud, and I have some faith in the CBs we drafted last year, pushing the need for another down in my mind.

Really we could be without our tow starting ends next year, KVB for cap reasons, and Avril cause he's going to want a ton of money. I think that has to be priority one.

I believe Tulloch, Durant and Levy are all FA's after this season. as well as houston
ajaX82
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#5 » by ajaX82 » Fri Dec 7, 2012 4:06 pm

1) DE
2) S
3) CB/LB
4) CB/LB

I agree that DE would be a likely target at the top. It could be a big area of need and fits how we have drafted in the past few years. Given our interest in Mercilus last year, I expect us to be pursuing these guys hard.

The question is who?

Moore from Texas A&M?
Werner from FSU?
Mingo from LSU?
Montgomery from LSU?

Are the LSU kids DEs or 3-4 OLBs? Will Werner fall? Is Moore the real deal?

Guys who have seen them or Jeff....who do we like? Who fits best?
Lionlifer
Rookie
And1: 626

Post#6 » by Lionlifer » Fri Dec 7, 2012 5:36 pm

Blkbrd671 wrote:

1) DE
2) S
3) CB/LB
4) CB/LB

I believe Tulloch, Durant and Levy are all FA's after this season. as well as houston

Durant and Levy are, but Tulloch signed on for like 5 years I thought.
2016 Pistons All Time Fantasy League Champ!
Sheeeeed
Starter
And1: 226

Post#7 » by Sheeeeed » Fri Dec 7, 2012 11:06 pm

Sadly with all the buffoonery with Titus, and Broyles injury its looking like WR is still going to be a need. Anyone know of any WR that might interest the Lions in the 2nd round?

Safety might be a big need, but I don't really see any worth taking where the Lions likely will be picking in the 1st round. The should try to focus on fixing the safety problem in free agency first.
Piston Pete
RealGM
And1: 1,264

Post#8 » by Piston Pete » Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:21 pm

Draft all DEFENSE -- save a mid-round WR to replace at least one of;
Titus (mental) / Burleson (age and $) / Broyles (injuries).

Rounds 1 - 3or4 = DEFENSE
Round 4 or 5 = Big WR
Rest = DEFENSE

Only way we don't take defense in round 1 is if a stud LT drops into our laps.
Blkbrd671
RealGM

Post#9 » by Blkbrd671 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:57 pm

Its going to be interesting next couple weeks, if we lose out we could see new coaches. in theory that should mean different philosophy of drafting. i think Jackson and young will do as our DE , if we strengthen our secondary. i think strong secondary will force the QB to hold the ball for the 1 extra split second that will allow our front 4 to get after the quarter back
Blkbrd671
RealGM

Post#10 » by Blkbrd671 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:29 pm

What you guys think about trading dwn?
Goldtop
Banned User
And1: 165

Post#11 » by Goldtop » Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:39 am

So it looks like we may get the 3rd pick. :o

Pistons need to take notes from the Lions on how to tank the right way. :lol:

If JAX somehow wins their last 2 games, we could even get the 2nd pick still. Thats insane to me considering I really think we have a playoff caliber roster. Its rare that a team with as much talent as us gets a top 3 pick. So I think we should definitely keep it and not trade down. IF there is elite talent in the top 3. If not, then I'm all for trading down for multiple picks.

With the talent we currently have (CJ/Stafford/Suh/Fairley) and now add another top 3 pick to the mix, could be enough to entice a Bill Cowher to come here. I already thought we could get him just off the elite talent of Megatron. But now adding the 3rd pick, this will be a very sought after gig I think, if Mayhew decides to clean house.
Blkbrd671
RealGM

Post#12 » by Blkbrd671 » Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:39 pm

Cowher or gruden.

This all depends on how the draft shapes up after the combine and everything but if we have the 3rd pick. i would love to trade down for 1st(mid round),2nd and other picks. i'd rather draft a impact DE in the first, and use our supposed 2 2nd rounders to address CB and LB. situation. Go with a ST/SS all purpose player like MAtheiu in the 3rd round. In theory we address huge holes on our team with 3 high picks.
ajaX82
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#13 » by ajaX82 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:04 am

Blkbrd671 wrote:What you guys think about trading dwn?

Depends on where we end up and who is picking above us. But I'm always open to sliding down
Blkbrd671
RealGM

Post#14 » by Blkbrd671 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:37 am

Trade down with Buffalo

We get the 10th pick, their 2nd round pick, and maybe 5th round pick for our 3rd pick.

We draft milliner CB, go DE with our 1st 2nd rounder and then LB with our 2nd 2ndrounder.

Draft Matheiu in the third round, and draft WR at some point.

The only player i would consider drafting at the top of the draft is Te'o. I think he has the it factor. He's the playmaker we need in our linebacking corps. I felt like this last year abounder Chandler Jones. When you watch them play, they just get after the football , something the combine can't tell you.

My hope is that we do trade down, if we don't Te'o's our pick
ajaX82
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#15 » by ajaX82 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:11 pm

Blkbrd671 wrote:Trade down with Buffalo

We get the 10th pick, their 2nd round pick, and maybe 5th round pick for our 3rd pick.

We draft milliner CB, go DE with our 1st 2nd rounder and then LB with our 2nd 2ndrounder.

Draft Matheiu in the third round, and draft WR at some point.

The only player i would consider drafting at the top of the draft is Te'o. I think he has the it factor. He's the playmaker we need in our linebacking corps. I felt like this last year abounder Chandler Jones. When you watch them play, they just get after the football , something the combine can't tell you.

My hope is that we do trade down, if we don't Te'o's our pick

I'd be very fine with Te'o. He can play and is a leader that this team desperately needs. If teams were dumb enough to let Joeckel slide I would also take him in a heartbeat (Joeckel and Reiff forming a ridiculous pair of young tackles). Bjoern Werner is the other guy I take without batting an eye. I stay and draft one of those 3 if they are on the board, and guys like Jarvis Jones do make me think, but after that it is up in the air
Icness
NFL Analyst
And1: 129

Post#16 » by Icness » Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:30 pm

Working draft of latest mock (will be up tomorrow) has Lions taking Werner at #5 and Matt Elam in the 2nd, haven't gotten to the 3rd yet.

I really like Te'o but I'm not a fan of taking an ILB that high. If the pick comes in the 11-15 range then I'd strongly consider him, or if the Lions could trade back.

It will be every interesting to see how the QB derby plays out. There's quite a bit more demand than supply, so it is theoretically a very good year to want to move back.
It's not whether you win or lose, it's how good you look playing the game
Blkbrd671
RealGM

Post#17 » by Blkbrd671 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:48 pm

I hope Barkely does really well at the combine and entices teams to want to move up. i'm assuming we are going to lose to the falcons and jump up a couple slots
ajaX82
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#18 » by ajaX82 » Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:38 am

Icness wrote:Working draft of latest mock (will be up tomorrow) has Lions taking Werner at #5 and Matt Elam in the 2nd, haven't gotten to the 3rd yet.

I really like Te'o but I'm not a fan of taking an ILB that high. If the pick comes in the 11-15 range then I'd strongly consider him, or if the Lions could trade back.

It will be every interesting to see how the QB derby plays out. There's quite a bit more demand than supply, so it is theoretically a very good year to want to move back.

I'm thrilled we don't need a QB; what an awful crop. I never liked Barkley at all and this season kinda justified my feelings. I just don't think he has the arm and playing in that system throwing to two of the very best WRs in college helped a ton. Geno Smith is a guy I like but has serious mechanical issues and will need time, which he won't be given seeing as that never happens anymore. Rather take a shot on Nassib or someone later than waste a first on one of those guys. I also hope someone falls in love with Barkley and wants to overpay to get him

As for us, Werner would be dreamy. Te'o would probably be a bit of an overreach but he can play and fills needs...I'm still OK with it. Elam would be real solid given our safety play
Icness
NFL Analyst

Post#19 » by Icness » Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:57 pm

The QBs to watch are Geno Smith and Tyler Wilson.

Right now the teams picking above the Lions are the Chiefs, Jags, Raiders, and Eagles. Both KC and PHI are in very good positions to take QBs, though I could see PHI sticking with Foles and trying to bring in an Alex Smith or bring back Kolb. Raiders are heavily committed to Palmer and Pryor, sucks to be them. Jacksonville is very happy with what Chad Henne has brought since he took over (seriously) and they still have Gabbert lying around.

Buffalo and SD are the teams to watch. Hard to predict what they'll do because SD is going to clean house completely and the Bills are very likely to fire Chan Gailey. They are both within viable trading range (6 & 8 right now). The Cards are at 11, Jets are at 14.

If the Lions want to move back the key would be for Philly to not take a QB. That would open it up that any team that wants Wilson (or Barkley in theory) would need Detroit's pick to get ahead of Buffalo.
Icness
NFL Analyst

Post#20 » by Icness » Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:43 pm

A piece I did today for the other website:
http://www.detroitlionsdraft.com/2012/1 ... ock-draft/

It's pretty detailed on my rationale for each pick.

Return to Detroit Lions