Big game tomorrow. Calvin is going to have a huge game; book it

Sent from my iPad using RealGM Forums mobile app
ajaX82
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 85

Re: Bears @ Lions 

Post#2 » by ajaX82 » Sun Sep 29, 2013 5:31 pm

Whitehead with a really nice ST strip of Hester. Stafford is in one of his bad Matt funks, totally off early

ajaX82
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#3 » by ajaX82 » Sun Sep 29, 2013 6:36 pm

Great half. Bush obviously is a major gamechanger on this squad. Staffords stats are certainly a bit misleading, as he has a lot of yards on check downs and short passes. Lots of missed passes.

Finish strong and we will have ourselves a huge win

ajaX82
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#4 » by ajaX82 » Sun Sep 29, 2013 7:25 pm

Suh having a huge game. Defense as a whole has been very good

ajaX82
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#5 » by ajaX82 » Sun Sep 29, 2013 9:53 pm

Well since I own this thread, may as well sum the game up

* Offense wasn't great and Stafford was honestly not good at all. He missed tons of throws and somehow overthrew Durham and Calvin multiple times...which is impressive. His throws were behind, too high and just erratic; dump-offs and check-downs saved his statline. We stalled in the red-zone way too much, Bell fumbled and gave the Bears life and Broyles was invisible. On the plus side, Bush was fantastic and Durham/Pettigrew were pleasant surprises. Without Bush it would have been a vintage last-year performance.

* Defense was fabulous. Good safety play is something we haven't really seen for a while in Detroit but was on full display today. The line was good enough and Suh had a fabulous game. Linebackers were active. We forced a bunch of turnovers and looked like a top-end unit. Losing Mathis hurt though, as Slay really looked the part of rookie.

* Special teams showed up well. Akers was perfect. Spurlock actually made a play. Coverage was fantastic and kept Hester contained and very frustrated by the end. Whitehead had that really nice strip on one of Hester's returns.

* Altogether we really dominated. They made it close in garbage time and with a dumb fumble but we owned most of this game. The D and ST were top-notch, though the offense sans Bush was pretty bad. Big win!
Piston Pete
RealGM
And1: 1,264

Post#6 » by Piston Pete » Mon Sep 30, 2013 1:25 am

Yeah, I was particularly bummed about how much of a non-factor Broyles was. I only remember him in one play really -- the one where he got open over the middle for what would have been a preety good chunk play, but Stafford completely missed him.

We should really explore WR trade options early this week. Broyles is not going to cut it.

Pettigrew was pretty decent today -- but I still can't trust him long-term.

Scheffler had at least one drop. The one I remember most killed our drive as he dropped one Stafford put right into his stomach on 3rd down.

Bush was great today, while Bell struggled.

I was impressed with the holes our OLine was opening up for Bush. He had a few rushes where he wasn't touched until he already had 6-7 yards gained.
Blkbrd671
RealGM
And1: 4,819

Post#7 » by Blkbrd671 » Mon Sep 30, 2013 4:09 am

i haven't watched the game yet but my analysis of all the highlight videos i could find.

Right now there's a amazing highlight video on NFL.com of Reggies Runs. He is such a different player and for those who saw that spin move and juke to pick up an extra 10-15 yards, tell me you didn't see Barry. Also from that video, i noted its been a while since i've seen our OLine make that big of a running lane for our RB's. I think its a product of being more athletic and mobile oline as well as Bush's reward them for making holes with big runs.

Our secondary may still be a headache and fighting with ST for the weakest part of our team, however our secondary is athletic and filled with play makers. Its still a major concern , but its still a ton better than last year.

Suh, what can you say about the kid, he's practically benched press kyle long all the way back to cutler and sacked him. WTF!? who does that? whats undersung here is Suh played a clean game, he's having fun, and definitely setting a example. There's nothing like DT's chest bumping,

Young is playing out of his mind, every single week , Young is in the midst of something, meaning the boys going hard.

As far as stafford, i still have concerns about him, however he's definitely leading this team, he's a ton more patient, has active feet, and takes care of the ball. Honestly the fumble and fumble recovery was a tremendously was Staffords will to win personified. Something about stafford this year makes me feel like he wants every win.

Coaching staff, honestly i didn't get to watch the whole game as of yet, but its good to see our offense actually diagnosing plays and attacking the defense. Its hard to recall when we've had the defense on their heels. I love the fact that we showed up prepared and ready to play. Chicago didn't show up for the type of fight we layed down on them.

Oh ya , Holy Balls, our ST scored a touch down
Blkbrd671
RealGM
And1: 4,819

Post#8 » by Blkbrd671 » Mon Sep 30, 2013 4:22 am

ajaX82 wrote:Well since I own this thread, may as well sum the game up

* Offense wasn't great and Stafford was honestly not good at all. He missed tons of throws and somehow overthrew Durham and Calvin multiple times...which is impressive.

:lol:

His throws were behind, too high and just erratic; dump-offs and check-downs saved his statline. We stalled in the red-zone way too much, Bell fumbled and gave the Bears life and Broyles was invisible. On the plus side, Bush was fantastic and Durham/Pettigrew were pleasant surprises. Without Bush it would have been a vintage last-year performance.

* Defense was fabulous. Good safety play is something we haven't really seen for a while in Detroit but was on full display today. The line was good enough and Suh had a fabulous game. Linebackers were active. We forced a bunch of turnovers and looked like a top-end unit. Losing Mathis hurt though, as Slay really looked the part of rookie.

i hope the kid remains confident, i'm okay with him struggling now, i'd rather he learn and be a solid CB by end of season. i'm more concerned about bentley. so hard to understand how you look amazing in camp and struggle on the field. seems he has young syndrome

* Special teams showed up well. Akers was perfect. Spurlock actually made a play. Coverage was fantastic and kept Hester contained and very frustrated by the end. Whitehead had that really nice strip on one of Hester's returns.

* Altogether we really dominated. They made it close in garbage time and with a dumb fumble but we owned most of this game. The D and ST were top-notch, though the offense sans Bush was pretty bad. Big win!

Us being on the right end of garbage time. So this is what it feels like?
ADflight1
Pro Prospect
And1: 105

Post#9 » by ADflight1 » Mon Sep 30, 2013 3:37 pm

We blew a good team out (final score is not a good indicator of how the game went) whit a bad Stafford. This team is gonna be good.
chrbal
RealGM
And1: 1,651

Post#10 » by chrbal » Mon Sep 30, 2013 4:03 pm

No Burelson, Johnsons held to like 50 yards, Pettigrew is targeted 7 times, the Bears score 32 points....and we win???!??!?!?!?

Who is this team?

Return to Detroit Lions