ImageImageImageImage

NEW HEAD COACH

Moderator: theBigLip

Blkbrd671
RealGM
And1: 4,819

NEW HEAD COACH 

Post#1 » by Blkbrd671 » Mon Dec 23, 2013 1:10 am

Since Schwartz is most definitely gone, who should we go after this offseason for coach. I hope our DC and OC are also gone. i'm sick of this Wide 9 crap, and our OC consistently outthinks himself.

JON GRUDEN
Bill Belick

if someone could provide a list of best available, much appreciated
ajaX82
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 85

Re: NEW HEAD COACH 

Post#2 » by ajaX82 » Mon Dec 23, 2013 3:38 am

Gruden tops the list. One of Cincys coordinators would be nice. Bill o'Brian would be a good dark horse. Either way, glad the 3 stooges are gone
Q00
Banned User
And1: 2,604

Post#3 » by Q00 » Mon Dec 23, 2013 4:37 am

Matt Dery ‏@dery1051 47s
Big show tomorrow at Noon on @DSports1051. I've talked to a lot of sources tonight. #Lions fans will apparently get their wish soon.

Sounds like he's done (schwartz)

In no particular order, I would take any of these guys:

Gruden
Coughlin
Billick
Cowher
Shanahan
Lovie Smith

Any one of those guys would be a clear upgrade and have the experience to take us to the next level.
Piston Pete
RealGM
And1: 1,264

Post#4 » by Piston Pete » Mon Dec 23, 2013 2:28 pm

Hearing rumblings that Schwartz might be fired sooner than later.....and that Mayhew might stick around. How do people feel about Mayhew staying?

Other coaching candidates:

Kubiak
Shanahan (assuming Washington lets him go)
McDaniels (ex head coach and current Patriots OC)
Greg Roman (San Fran's OC)
Ray Horton (Cleveland's DC)
Pete Carmichael (Saints OC)
Dan Quinn (Seahawks DC)
ajaX82
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#5 » by ajaX82 » Mon Dec 23, 2013 3:17 pm

Absolutely not to Kubiak, Shanahan or McDaniels. Gross

I hope Jim gets the axe today. Such a prick
Sheeeeed
Starter
And1: 226

Post#6 » by Sheeeeed » Mon Dec 23, 2013 7:45 pm

I think the Lions need an offensive guy this time around, though I'd stay away from Carmichael. I think he gets overrated because of Brees and Payton is the one that does the play calling. Gruden or Wishenhunt would be top 2 choices.

Philip Rivers has had some sort of comeback compared to his last couple seasons with Wishenhunt as the OC, and he didn't really get a fair shake in Arizona after Warner left and the terrible QB situation. Whisenhunt might be the most realistic choice for the job.

Not really a fan O'Brien, because of the Belichick connection. and how awful his assistants have done as head coaches. Not mention it would cost the Lions $18m to fire Schwartz and replace him with O'Brien because of where his buyout with Penn state currently stands.
Blkbrd671
RealGM

Post#7 » by Blkbrd671 » Mon Dec 23, 2013 11:01 pm

Bill cowher is another coach i'd love, but I think jon gruden could take us to the next level. he supposedly in conversation with the Raiders, meaning he's at least thinking about coaching
Icness
NFL Analyst
And1: 129

Post#8 » by Icness » Tue Dec 24, 2013 2:17 pm

I wrote my top 5:
http://www.detroitlionsdraft.com/2013/1 ... -schwartz/

Take note of our old friend TSE in the comments section :lol:

Talked to two different people last night who think we are going to hear a lot of Notre Dame coach Brian Kelly as the new coach. Not crazy about that but I've known him since he coached at GVSU and it would be cool to see him ascend from that.

I've also heard, and read from various sources, that O'Brien is Houston's first choice and the Texans will pay more than Detroit. He'd be great but I don't think he's all that realistic.

Two guys I definitely DO NOT WANT:
1. Lovie Smith
2. Brad Childress
It's not whether you win or lose, it's how good you look playing the game
Piston Pete
RealGM

Post#9 » by Piston Pete » Tue Dec 24, 2013 2:37 pm

Of your list, I would be happy with either Gruden or Billick. Outside of that, I'm not sure those are the right guys to be targeting. I would be happy with O'Brien too, but like you said, he may not be a realistic option.

Really want nothing to do with Mangini and I'm personally not impressed with Bevel - Favre had many QB coaches in his career. I doubt Bevel was that influential....
Q00
Banned User

Post#10 » by Q00 » Wed Dec 25, 2013 12:02 am

I don't want anything to do with Whisenhunt. Aside from one fluke season in Arizona, what has he ever done that makes him any more qualified to take us to the next level than Schwartz?

The only reason to fire Jim is because he lacks the experience to get us to the next level. I don't think hiring someone else who only got there once (and lost) has any better chance of getting back there again than Schwartz does.

To me that would be a lateral move at best.

I also think we need a proven defensive guy more than offense. Our offense is fine. 3rd in the league in total offense and avg 26 ppg. The defense is the problem and until this franchise figures out that you win with defense, not offense, they will keep losing because they've never had a great defense since the 50s. Oh and that just happened to be the years they won 4 championships. You would think the Fords would be smart enough to see that, but apparently not.

And I don't mean hire another defensive assistant like Schwartz, whose defenses in Tennessee were clearly a credit to Fisher, not him. I mean hire a proven head coach who has had proven top defenses in his tenure elsewhere, and done so consistently, not just one or two fluke years.

This offense can coach itself and put up 25 per game with no OC, with all this talent. When the defense is giving up 24 per game though, you're never going to consistently win. Every game is going to come down to the end, and then its a coin toss who wins, which is exactly what happened this year and why they are a .500 team. Once they get a dominant defense in here (and they have the building blocks to do it) then they will become a great team. Unless you think Whisenhunt can make this offense avg 35 ppg instead of 25, and want to rely on having to put up that many points per game to win consistently, then we need a proven defensive coach more. And when Whisenhunt's offense in San Diego this year was less productive than our offense under Linehan, I don't know why anyone would think he was capable of turning us into the Denver Broncos offense. He's no better of an OC than Linehan and I wouldn't want either as my head coach.
Q00
Banned User

Post#11 » by Q00 » Wed Dec 25, 2013 12:06 am

Also don't understand the talk of college coach's or assistants at all. This team can't get over the hump because of a coach who lacks experience. So why would anyone think a less experience college coach or assistant is the solution?

Sorry for the rant on Christmas lol, its just that I read a report today that said Whisenhunt was high on our list, and also keep hearing all these college names/NFL assistants, and its frustrating that these are the names we are hearing and not hearing anything about the big time proven coach's. Because there's lots of them available and we have the talent to attract them this time. I'm just getting the feeling in typical Lions fashion that they will replace Schwartz with another dolt whose either unproven and/or has a losing record just like Schwartz, and its got me fired up at the moment lol.
Blkbrd671
RealGM

Post#12 » by Blkbrd671 » Wed Dec 25, 2013 12:11 am

Icness wrote:I wrote my top 5:

Talked to two different people last night who think we are going to hear a lot of Notre Dame coach Brian Kelly as the new coach. Not crazy about that but I've known him since he coached at GVSU and it would be cool to see him ascend from that.

I've also heard, and read from various sources, that O'Brien is Houston's first choice and the Texans will pay more than Detroit. He'd be great but I don't think he's all that realistic.

1. Lovie Smith
2. Brad Childress

thx Jeff,
Sheeeeed
Starter

Post#13 » by Sheeeeed » Wed Dec 25, 2013 12:52 am

Q00 wrote:I don't want anything to do with Whisenhunt. Aside from one fluke season in Arizona, what has he ever done that makes him any more qualified to take us to the next level than Schwartz?

The only reason to fire Jim is because he lacks the experience to get us to the next level. I don't think hiring someone else who only got there once (and lost) has any better chance of getting back there again than Schwartz does.

I also think we need a proven defensive guy more than offense. Our offense is fine. 3rd in the league in total offense and avg 26 ppg. The defense is the problem and until this franchise figures out that you win with defense, not offense, they will keep losing because they've never had a great defense since the 50s. Oh and that just happened to be the years they won 4 championships. You would think the Fords would be smart enough to see that, but apparently not.

And I don't mean hire another defensive assistant like Schwartz, whose defenses in Tennessee were clearly a credit to Fisher, not him. I mean hire a proven head coach who has had proven top defenses in his tenure elsewhere, and done so consistently, not just one or two fluke years.

This offense can coach itself and put up 25 per game with no OC, with all this talent. When the defense is giving up 24 per game though, you're never going to consistently win. Every game is going to come down to the end, and then its a coin toss who wins, which is exactly what happened this year and why they are a .500 team. Once they get a dominant defense in here (and they have the building blocks to do it) then they will become a great team. Unless you think Whisenhunt can make this offense avg 35 ppg instead of 25, and want to rely on having to put up that many points per game to win consistently, then we need a proven defensive coach more. And when Whisenhunt's offense in San Diego this year was less productive than our offense under Linehan, I don't know why anyone would think he was capable of turning us into the Denver Broncos offense. He's no better of an OC than Linehan and I wouldn't want either as my head coach.

You must not have paid too much attention how Stafford's played in the 2nd half of the season and last year if you think ranking 3rd in total offense means theres no issue with the offense. Stafford isn't Manning, He needs an OC.
Q00
Banned User

Post#14 » by Q00 » Wed Dec 25, 2013 4:55 am

Sheeeeed wrote:
Q00 wrote:I don't want anything to do with Whisenhunt. Aside from one fluke season in Arizona, what has he ever done that makes him any more qualified to take us to the next level than Schwartz?

You must not have paid too much attention how Stafford's played in the 2nd half of the season and last year if you think ranking 3rd in total offense means theres no issue with the offense. Stafford isn't Manning, He needs an OC.

They didn't lose in the 2nd half of the year because of offense they lost because of turnovers. Stafford throwing INTs doesn't mean the offense is bad. They move the ball great and if not for the turnovers would keep marching right into the end zone, but then 1 mistake turnover ends the drive. Thats just mental errors. It doesn't mean the system or talent is bad. Its not all Stafford turning it over either. A lot of those were RB fumbles and WRs tipping good passes up into the air. Any good coach can correct those mental mistakes. You don't need to hire someone specially for that, and you can hire an assistant to work with Stafford on his individual development if needed.

I was obviously exaggerating saying they dont need an OC, but that doesn't mean you have to make that OC into your head coach too. They need a real head coach, not another assistant pretending to be one. This offense is going to be great no matter who is coaching as long as they eliminate the turnovers. The defense has never been great, and that's what needs fixing the most in my opinion.

I'm not opposed to hiring an offensive minded head coach, and then getting proven DC like Rex Ryan to fix the defense. I just don't think Whisenhunt is a good head coach period, regardless of what side he specializes in. I'd be cool with an offensive guru head coach like Mike Holmgren. He'ss got a proven track record as a lead guy spanning decades and can also help develop Stafford.
Sheeeeed
Starter

Post#15 » by Sheeeeed » Wed Dec 25, 2013 6:01 am

Q00 wrote:They didn't lose in the 2nd half of the year because of offense they lost because of turnovers. Stafford throwing INTs doesn't mean the offense is bad. They move the ball great and if not for the turnovers would keep marching right into the end zone, but then 1 mistake turnover ends the drive. Thats just mental errors. It doesn't mean the system or talent is bad. Its not all Stafford turning it over either. A lot of those were RB fumbles and WRs tipping good passes up into the air. Any good coach can correct those mental mistakes. You don't need to hire someone specially for that, and you can hire an assistant to work with Stafford on his individual development if needed.

I was obviously exaggerating saying they dont need an OC, but that doesn't mean you have to make that OC into your head coach too. They need a real head coach, not another assistant pretending to be one. This offense is going to be great no matter who is coaching as long as they eliminate the turnovers. The defense has never been great, and that's what needs fixing the most in my opinion.

So the offense turns over the ball( i.e. Stafford), so it has nothing to do with the Offense because they're ranked 3rd in total yards? Stafford's poor mechanics have attributed to a lot of dropped balls, and the tipped interceptions. That's why you invest in a offensive minded coach to help Stafford with his problems. All Schwartz and Linehan did was let Stafford run wild. Don't get me started on Linehan's play calling either.

Stafford is much more important to the team now than the defense. That's why you hire a offensive minded head coach to reel him in, and Wishenhunt at least has a history of that working with talented QBs. Hire a defensive coach, and there will be a much bigger chance two years from now the Lions are looking for another franchise QB, especially if all the Lions get is a mediocre OC.

I'm not opposed to hiring an offensive minded head coach, and then getting proven DC like Rex Ryan to fix the defense. I just don't think Whisenhunt is a good head coach period, regardless of what side he specializes in. I'd be cool with an offensive guru head coach like Mike Holmgren. He'ss got a proven track record as a lead guy spanning decades and can also help develop Stafford.

I honestly don't think you want to give Wishenhunt a fair shake. All you seem to be doing is looking at records, and stats. Especially since you want compare the Lions and Chargers offenses, and make it look like the Lions are leaps and bounds ahead the Chargers when theres only 140 yards and 3 spots separating them in the rankings.

Lets not act like Wishenhunt didn't get a fair in Arizona either. After Warner retired all he had to work with was late round picks, undrafted free agents, and an overrated Kolb as QBs. Their defense didn't start to come around til his final year either.
Manocad
RealGM
And1: 10,561

Post#16 » by Manocad » Fri Dec 27, 2013 3:17 am

Icness wrote:I wrote my top 5:

1. Lovie Smith
2. Brad Childress

Nice write up, J-man. I don't profess to follow the NFL to fine enough detail to know who would make the best coach of the candidates available, but I sure as hell do believe the lack of discipline on the field--penalties, forced plays, bad clock management, etc.--would be eliminated by better coaching.

IMO Schwartz and Co. have taken this team as far as they can take it. I hate a coaching merry-go-round but I do strongly believe a change is needed. The end of this season was so utterly disgusting that the stink needs to be removed, and I don't think anyone would suggest cleaning house from a player standpoint.
Icness
NFL Analyst
And1: 129

Post#17 » by Icness » Sun Dec 29, 2013 1:36 pm

I've heard from several sources that Brian Kelly is very high on the Ford's wish list
It's not whether you win or lose, it's how good you look playing the game
ajaX82
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#18 » by ajaX82 » Sun Dec 29, 2013 9:09 pm

Well Schwartz is a guaranteed fire after the impressive loss today to a AP-less, Matt Cassell led team. Embarrassing.

Brian Kelly is interesting. Love the fire and the fact that he will probably get in some guys grill. Love the success he has had everywhere, especially at some odd spots. I think if you do hire him, it has to be along with a really good OC. Someone who will tell Stafford the truth, because he sucks
Piston Pete
RealGM

Post#19 » by Piston Pete » Mon Dec 30, 2013 4:50 am

Honestly, I'm not thrilled with the idea of going after Kelly.

Whisenhunt (spelling?) is at the top of my list.....along with Jon Gruden. The Lions job really should be the prime destination for available coaches this offseason with our accumulation of talent.
Piston Pete
RealGM

Post#20 » by Piston Pete » Mon Dec 30, 2013 2:37 pm

Another name I've heard pop up that I thought was interesting; Tony Dungy.

Return to Detroit Lions