ImageImageImageImage

REPROCUSSIONS OF OUR 2014 DRAFT

Moderator: theBigLip

Blkbrd671
RealGM
And1: 4,819

REPROCUSSIONS OF OUR 2014 DRAFT 

Post#1 » by Blkbrd671 » Tue Sep 16, 2014 12:51 am

Wanted to start a thread about our 10th pick Eric Ebron, while hine sight is always 50/50, Jeff(ICENESS) and i as well didn't really mind the pick at the time, though i did express my concern as to why we drafted another TE. So here we are Week 2, we have 3 completely healthy TE, and our 1st pick is #3 on the rep chart. Meanwhile our secondary:

Bill Bentley- out for season

Nevin Lawson- out for season

J. Ihedbjo- out for season

Slay- almost injured

Vaughn- camp body that excelled

Seisay- Undrafted FA

Abdul- Veteran Safety who was also suppose to be a camp body or back up

Obviously if all our CB's are healthy, the ebron pick doesn't look nearly as bad, however before the draft our secondary was a issue and depth was a issue, we chose not to address it til later rounds and now here we are. Can anyone argue(ICE?) why Ebron was still the right pick?
Blkbrd671
RealGM

Re: REPROCUSSIONS OF OUR 2014 DRAFT 

Post#2 » by Blkbrd671 » Tue Sep 16, 2014 1:00 am

CORRECTION: JAMES IHEDBJO

not out, .............disabled
epheisey
Bench Warmer
And1: 409

Post#3 » by epheisey » Tue Sep 16, 2014 1:40 am

I'll toss in that the Lions just cut Nate Ness as well. He was on the practice squad before getting called up to the active roster Sunday.

I hate to be the person to say I told you so, as a result of injuries. I'm all for being right, if everything else held up and it simply didn't add up to being the best call at the time. Doing it with the injuries we've experienced doesn't feel good.

But I was opposed to drafting him in the first place, and my reasons were exactly what we're seeing now. It all surrounds one simple word: Depth. The TE position had depth previously. Pettigrew and Fauria was a very solid pair at the position, while Fauria has potential to turn into something very good. I have been most impressed with Fauria so far this season out of the entire group, which again just makes the entire situation frustrating.

Our secondary depth has struggled year after year. Since Bentley/Green/Greenwood were drafted they played respectively 17/24/3 games out of a possible 32, and all have had some serious injury issues. To rely on that going into this year, along with an older safety who had one good year on the books out of a journeyman career wasn't a good call in my opinion. Thankfully our top 2 corners and Quin have remained healthy so far, but if any of them went down, even before this string of injuries, we would have been in serious trouble.

There are a couple of things that really frustrate me in regards to this. First, the Lions have been preaching "win now", and competing for a super bowl all offseason. Now granted, I took that with a grain of salt in my expectations, but they have not managed the roster as if that's truly their belief. There are guys available as free agents that would be improvements to our roster. The second thing that is frustrating is watching some of these rookie corners play. Fuller, the one that would have been the best selection at that spot in the draft came up huge last night in the Bears game filling in for Charles Tillman.

This is just another issue that makes me wonder what has really changed for this organization. Sure the coach/figurehead is new, but the guys making the decisions in the front office, and providing the coaches with the proper talent, are still making the same mistakes.

This team just has too many "weapons" on offense to realistically use them. Between Calvin/Tate/Bush/Bell/Riddick/Pettigrew/Fauria/Ebron we will rarely ever see more than 4 of them on the field together. Heck, even if we see 5 of this group on the field, that still leaves 3 on the bench.

Finally, the biggest thing is this. Our defense actually plays well enough to win. Despite the massive lack of talent in the back, it's still our offense that lets us down. So in some respects, I understand their reasoning for improving the offense, but a 3rd string TE isn't going to propel this offense to another level.
Blkbrd671
RealGM

Post#4 » by Blkbrd671 » Wed Sep 24, 2014 3:38 am

Kyle Fuller has 3 intereceptions, idk if he'd be as successful in detroit since scheme is a large part of how DBs are successful and having Tillman as a mentor definitely helps, but Fuller looks like a ball hawk and possible shut down corner. Ebron looks like, um kinda maybe could be sorta jimmy grahm

Return to Detroit Lions