Around the League

Moderator: theBigLip

ajaX82
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 85

Around the League 

Post#1 » by ajaX82 » Mon Sep 28, 2009 5:19 pm

I thought we should have a thread to discuss whats going on other than in the Great Lakes State. Maybe some Pats talk? Broncos love? Laughing at the Browns or Raiders?

Either way, lets discuss other teams that suck and why
ajaX82
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Re: Around the League 

Post#2 » by ajaX82 » Mon Sep 28, 2009 5:23 pm

And i will start...

Could JaMarcus Russel be any worse? I mean seriously..i didnt think he had it when he was drafted. Too fat, not accurate, not intelligent....I'm still not sure what everyone saw except for that hand cannon.

Through three games, his QB rating is just under 40 (39.8). He is throwing for 125 yards per game. He has 1 TD, 4 picks. a 41 completion percentage. The list goes on

They cant keep starting him can they? I mean, this is his third season, he isnt a rookie. At some point they gotta bench him right? Why not let McFadden get the ball every play and run the wildcat like Arkansas used to do with him.

Anyways, thats my Russel rant. What do you guys think?
Liqourish
RealGM
And1: 2,245

Post#3 » by Liqourish » Mon Sep 28, 2009 5:25 pm

Tennessee is 0-3. Guess they miss Jim Schwartz more than he misses them.

Raiders say that JaMarcus Russell has regressed and they want a QB in the draft next April.

ETA: I was typing when you posted your Russell rant. I couldn't agree more. He isn't a rookie. He's had time to play and improve and he just gets worse.
Liqourish
RealGM

Post#4 » by Liqourish » Tue Sep 29, 2009 3:14 pm

Pennington done for the season. Chad Henne's going to become the starting QB for Miami.

Panthers look really bad. They are one of three division leaders from last year who are 0-3 to start this season.
TSE
Banned User
And1: 9

Post#5 » by TSE » Tue Sep 29, 2009 3:30 pm

ajaX82 wrote:And i will start...

Could JaMarcus Russel be any worse? I mean seriously..i didnt think he had it when he was drafted. Too fat, not accurate, not intelligent....I'm still not sure what everyone saw except for that hand cannon.

Through three games, his QB rating is just under 40 (39.8). He is throwing for 125 yards per game. He has 1 TD, 4 picks. a 41 completion percentage. The list goes on

They cant keep starting him can they? I mean, this is his third season, he isnt a rookie. At some point they gotta bench him right? Why not let McFadden get the ball every play and run the wildcat like Arkansas used to do with him.

Anyways, thats my Russel rant. What do you guys think?

They have too much invested in Russell. They have to stick with him and hope for the best. They NEED him to pan out. I wouldn't remotely consider giving up on him, unless of course somebody was knocking on my door offering an intriguing trade, but I don't see that as very likely.
TSE
Banned User

Post#6 » by TSE » Tue Sep 29, 2009 3:41 pm

Liqourish wrote:Pennington done for the season. Chad Henne's going to become the starting QB for Miami.

Panthers look really bad. They are one of three division leaders from last year who are 0-3 to start this season.

I like Pennington a lot, but the name of the game is finding that next young potential star, it's in Miami's best interests to find out what they have in Henne sooner than later, so that they can have a leg up in rebuilding for the future. They have some fine tuning to do before they can compete on a high level, so they should use this time to strategize for the future accordingly.

The Panthers are awful. I picked them to finish 3rd in the division, wishing I could pick 4th for them if it wasn't for the absolutely hapless Bucs. TB and CAR are some very poorly managed teams. The most interesting things we could be discussing about them is who should they be picking high in the draft next year.

Overall, I just find it very sad that the NFL in itself is run so poorly that every year we have such a lack of parity. They do such a lousy job relative to other sports in promoting parity, yet it's the best sport there is that could benefit from parity throughout the league. Baseball does a great job and as much as I don't like the commissioner of baseball, I will admit that at least the game of baseball has been able to successfully install parameters to foster strong parity. Just look at any year of MLB, it's tough to find teams that fall outside of the .400-.600 win pct. You don't see that in other sports.

Granted they have long seasons, but with the poor shape of so many teams in the NFL, if we theoretically played 162 games, you would still see a huge mess. It's not all the NFL's fault, as my theory is also that the talent of GMs in the NFL is significantly weaker than every other sport, due to mainly the complexities of the strategies of the game of football that are far more difficult to decipher than they are in the other 3 major sports.
Liqourish
RealGM

Post#7 » by Liqourish » Wed Sep 30, 2009 6:56 pm

Thigpen goes to Miami. Henne is still expected to start for them.

Mangini names Derek Anderson the starter for this week. How can you expect either QB to improve when you screw them around like this? I'd rather stick with Stafford through all the ups and downs and have him better for it, then to start and bench him constantly and impede his development.

Panthers might be looking for a QB. Maybe we can send them Stanton for a late round pick? Stanton will be able to play and we get another chance in the draft to shore up our lines.
ajaX82
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#8 » by ajaX82 » Wed Sep 30, 2009 8:24 pm

Liqourish wrote:Thigpen goes to Miami. Henne is still expected to start for them.

Mangini names Derek Anderson the starter for this week. How can you expect either QB to improve when you screw them around like this? I'd rather stick with Stafford through all the ups and downs and have him better for it, then to start and bench him constantly and impede his development.

Panthers might be looking for a QB. Maybe we can send them Stanton for a late round pick? Stanton will be able to play and we get another chance in the draft to shore up our lines.

I would send the Panthers Culpepper. DStanton could make a nice backup here, pretty cheap as well. Daunte is in no way the future of this team, we should get some value for him. And frankly, i think they would give a halfway decent pick for him.

Thigpen could be interesting, though with Pat White as virtually the same kinda QB, im not sure again why they trade for him (or draft White for that matter, tho i like him). Henne is the man there, time to find out what ya got

The Browns are a mess. Easily the worst team in the league, i am ecstatic i dont have to watch that abortion of an offense play every sunday. Both QBs suck, the team has already quit on the coach...that team is going nowhere fast. At least we have young guys to get excited about. Them...Joe Thomas and ?
Liqourish
RealGM

Post#9 » by Liqourish » Wed Sep 30, 2009 9:35 pm

I know he hasn't played well, But I still love Braylon. I think he could be good on a better team or just a different team.

I don't know if teams will want Culpepper. Yes, he's in shape and better than some QBs out there, but he's also more money. If we could get a decent pick and/or a good defensive player.... I would trade him.

Luckily, we play both the Browns and the Rams this season. Both could be easy wins for the Lions if they play like they can.
Liqourish
RealGM

Post#10 » by Liqourish » Wed Oct 7, 2009 4:56 pm

Braylon Edwards was traded to the Jets for Stuckey/Trusnik and two draft picks (3rd and 6th, with the 3rd becoming a 2nd if the Jets make the playoffs). Damn good deal for Cleveland IMO. Stuckey is a good player and those picks could really help them.

Not sure how this works out for the Jets. I love Braylon, but I dunno if he'll fit in with that group in NY.
TSE
Banned User

Post#11 » by TSE » Wed Oct 7, 2009 5:28 pm

I have to disagree. This is a flat out steal by the Jets. They gave up very little value in the form of several low-profile scraps and rec'd a first round talent at WR. The picks are inconsequential as components to acquire a premium talent like Braylon. He should really help out Mark Sanchez in the future, especially if they can re-sign him to a friendly deal.

Stuckey doesn't strike me as anything special. He only had 32 catches all of last year (2 catches per game), and is only averaging 3 catches per game this year. There are lots of better young WR prospects out there.

This is a landslide deal in favor of the Jets, and was only made possible because Cleveland felt uncomfortable with having to deal with the drama and the headaches. This is a classic situation of one team taking advantage of another team's unfortunate circumstances that can't handle the intangible negatives that the player created for their community and team. Those things don't presently exist for him in his new city/team. The Jets are buying a high valued stock at a discount price. That would be like buying a new computer and saving $200 bucks because there's a scratch on the tower, some people would say so what it's just cosmetic and it isn't going to affect the CPU performance anyhow. That's a better deal than paying full price.
ajaX82
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#12 » by ajaX82 » Wed Oct 7, 2009 11:54 pm

This certainly has potential to be a major coup for the Jets, though i will withhold judgment til we see him play. Until Braylon proves he cares and/or can not drop the ball anytime its near him, i can't call it a major steal.

It could end up being a Randy Moss from the Raiders type move though
TSE
Banned User

Post#13 » by TSE » Thu Oct 8, 2009 1:31 am

It doesn't matter if Braylon proves his worth or not, you can only judge the trade at the time the trade was made. And at this moment that the trigger was pulled, the odds and projections favor the Jets imo. There's no sense in waiting for the future to present itself before you make an evaluation, that's too late. You have to lay your cards on the table now. There are no take-backs.
ajaX82
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#14 » by ajaX82 » Sun Oct 11, 2009 11:44 pm

Somebody needs to purge the Raiders. They are unfathomably bad. David Carr was in in the first half for gods sakes. JaMarcus Russell should be cut as well, that dude sucks.

And the Rams arent much better. If Stephen Jackson gets hurt, i would guess that they wouldnt score a point for the remainder of the season.
TSE
Banned User

Post#15 » by TSE » Mon Oct 12, 2009 12:17 am

If I was in charge of the Lions I would have already purged the substandard vets on this team prior to the season start. I would have loaded up on prospects of upside and then I would be about to embark on my second purging if we were only 1-4 at this point. We would have lots of money savings already secured for the future and additional draft picks from which we could grow a serious impetus. That's my #1 complaint w/ the Lions for the last 10 years, is they don't know how to plan for the future and make tough decisions to improve ourselves for MANY future years at the expense of the SINGLE year. You only have to bite the bullet once in order to get a healthy boost into achieving something truly special.

The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few. Now, who wants to trade w/Detroit and who do you want from us?
ajaX82
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#16 » by ajaX82 » Mon Oct 12, 2009 3:52 am

I didnt see this before, but Derek Anderson completed 2 passes the entire game (he didnt get pulled) and still won!

2-17

He was 2-17

Thats almost 12% of his passes. Or 88% not complete. QB rating a smidge higher at a 15.1.

And they won. That had to be the worst game ever. I know the Lions have been bad but the Browns, Rams and Raiders this year are all way worse than we were last year.
Liqourish
RealGM

Post#17 » by Liqourish » Mon Oct 12, 2009 4:18 pm

^ Very true. And last year we were really dysfunctional as far as player/personal movement and injuries. So far those teams have been fairly consistent yet still just downright horrible.
ajaX82
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#18 » by ajaX82 » Sun Oct 18, 2009 11:01 pm

The Raiders are very respectable today. Who knew?

And oh my good god the Titans....what the **** was that. They are down 59-0 right now....and if Brady was still in it would probably be 87-0.

Kerry Collins was 2/12 for -7 yards and a pick. VY is currently 0-1 for a pick. jesus

Talk about giving up....i think Jeff Fishers chair just got a little warmer
ajaX82
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#19 » by ajaX82 » Sun Oct 18, 2009 11:05 pm

and goodness the chosen one Mark Sanchez is having a gem... 6-21 with 4 picks to a pretty bad D in Buffalo.

And did i mention im playing against Tom Brady in my fantasy league? crap.
Liqourish
RealGM

Post#20 » by Liqourish » Sun Oct 18, 2009 11:19 pm

Sanchez looks very mediocre when the Jets offensive line is pressured. It doesn't even have to be a great defense, just put enough pressure on the line and Sanchez starts speeding up and makes a bunch of rookie mistakes like we've seen from Stafford.

I think both Stafford and Sanchez will have good NFL careers, but anyone who thinks Sanchez would have fared better in Detroit than Stafford has is delusional.

The Titans look really REALLY bad. I can't believe how far they've fallen. I think they are one of 8 teams who are worse than the Lions. The Lions have lost some close games and against some very good teams, but they've put in good efforts every week, except today it appeared.

St. Louis, Tennessee, Washington, Cleveland, Oakland, Tampa Bay, Kansas City and Buffalo all look worse than the Lions so far this season IMO.

Return to Detroit Lions