Banned User
And1: 3

Post#61 » by AGGiE » Sat Aug 4, 2007 8:27 pm

A-Rod back above .300
AGGiE
Banned User

Post#62 » by AGGiE » Sat Aug 4, 2007 8:31 pm

Robbie Cano up with the bases loaded 0 Outs, 7th inning and 1 HR away from an cycle.

EDIT: Hits an long single, would have been an double but Posada is too slow.

And Phillips hits an ground rule double... Posada scores... RB 3rd, AP 2nd still nobody out... 16-7 Yankees

Urr Melky hits an fly to right field... but Robbie misses the place... 2 Outs
meatball sub
RealGM
And1: 9,276

Post#63 » by meatball sub » Sat Aug 4, 2007 8:42 pm

Anybody want to give me the details on why Phil Hughes line was so bad today after I saw he had k'd 4 in two innings? For the sake of my Dynasty League team I must know!
stro4swift
Starter
And1: 0

Post#64 » by stro4swift » Sat Aug 4, 2007 8:49 pm

Hughes wasn't impressive at all today, but congrats to A-Rod for his 500th HR. :clap: He can finally breathe!
Jitpal
General Manager
And1: 0

Post#65 » by Jitpal » Sat Aug 4, 2007 8:54 pm

bove310 wrote:Anybody want to give me the details on why Phil Hughes line was so bad today after I saw he had k'd 4 in two innings? For the sake of my Dynasty League team I must know!

Couple bad calls like a ball that was foul was ruled fair. He seemed to lose a little control late. My guess is it is because he hasn't pitched this long since May. He will be better next week. -Jitpal
AGGiE
Banned User

Post#66 » by AGGiE » Sat Aug 4, 2007 9:09 pm

It wasn't an Lester-type of return but I think he did ok being that he is returning from hamstring and ankle injuries. It was that foul ball that was called fair that ruined his confidence. He looked like mini-Rocket with the high pitch counts. He should do much better his 2nd time around, we have to remember this is only his 3rd major league start and we can't take any team for guaranteed even the KC Royals.
ijag23
Lead Assistant
And1: 7

Post#67 » by ijag23 » Sat Aug 4, 2007 9:13 pm

Hughes looked good to me thru 4 innings and then just seemed to totally lose control in the 5th.

Amazing that Cano is now hitting .311. I guess last year wasn't just a fluke.
nykgeneralmanager
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 306

Post#68 » by nykgeneralmanager » Sat Aug 4, 2007 9:25 pm

bove310 wrote:Anybody want to give me the details on why Phil Hughes line was so bad today after I saw he had k'd 4 in two innings? For the sake of my Dynasty League team I must know!

He got by in the first 2 innings on his fastball (struck out 4, allowed 1 base runner). But once he got into the 3rd and 4th innings, the hitters were seeing him for the second time around and they knew what to expect of his fastball. At this point he should've mixed in more curves and changes but he did not. He seemed like he was just getting a feel for being back out there, which is completely understandable. The two runs he allowed in the 3rd inning annoyed me because the double was clearly foul, and the other hit was a lousy bloop over the head of ARod. Then in the 4th he allowed a lead off walk that was quickly erased by a double play, then I believe he struck out the final batter. So even through 4 innings he looked VERY sharp even though he was relying almost strictly on his fastball. Then in the 5th he started to get a little tired (95 degrees out there and his first start back so he was definitely using a lot of adrenalyne early on) and the fastballs that were blowing hitters away at 93 mph low in the zone, became fastballs at 90-91 up in the zone and that was that. Overall a pretty encouraging start because of the way he started out the game, and like I said doing it all on basically a 92 mph fastball.
xNewYorkMadex
General Manager
And1: 5,758

Post#69 » by xNewYorkMadex » Sat Aug 4, 2007 9:37 pm

Good win today

Hughes sucked but its his 1st game back.I expect him to do better as he gets more starts
Andrea Bargnani nYk 2013-2015
cmaff051
Inactive user
Inactive user
And1: 2

Post#70 » by cmaff051 » Sat Aug 4, 2007 9:49 pm

Hughes looked terrific through the first 4 innings and then just lost it in the 5th. Very unlike him and I doubt it will happen again. To be honest, the line looks worse than the actual performance.
Pharmcat
RealGM
And1: 19,074

Post#71 » by Pharmcat » Sat Aug 4, 2007 11:17 pm

6 ER by Phil against the Royals? :eek1: :eek1: :eek1:

just another overrated prospect by yankee fans :roll:
Pharmcat
RealGM

Post#72 » by Pharmcat » Sat Aug 4, 2007 11:24 pm

nykgeneralmanager wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

He got by in the first 2 innings on his fastball (struck out 4, allowed 1 base runner). But once he got into the 3rd and 4th innings, the hitters were seeing him for the second time around and they knew what to expect of his fastball. At this point he should've mixed in more curves and changes but he did not. He seemed like he was just getting a feel for being back out there, which is completely understandable. The two runs he allowed in the 3rd inning annoyed me because the double was clearly foul, and the other hit was a lousy bloop over the head of ARod. Then in the 4th he allowed a lead off walk that was quickly erased by a double play, then I believe he struck out the final batter. So even through 4 innings he looked VERY sharp even though he was relying almost strictly on his fastball. Then in the 5th he started to get a little tired (95 degrees out there and his first start back so he was definitely using a lot of adrenalyne early on) and the fastballs that were blowing hitters away at 93 mph low in the zone, became fastballs at 90-91 up in the zone and that was that. Overall a pretty encouraging start because of the way he started out the game, and like I said doing it all on basically a 92 mph fastball.

so this means he has no confidence in his 2ndary stuff....he better learn to throw that stuff, cuz major league hitters will soon start bashing those fastballs out of the park if thats all he is going to throw
cmaff051
Inactive user
Inactive user
And1: 2

Post#73 » by cmaff051 » Sat Aug 4, 2007 11:26 pm

The Kandi Man Rocks wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

so this means he has no confidence in his 2ndary stuff....he better learn to throw that stuff, cuz major league hitters will soon start bashing those fastballs out of the park if thats all he is going to throw

You are a moron. If you ever watched him in the minors, you would know that he has plenty of confidence in his secondary stuff, especially his curve. He just couldn't get them over today, it happens to the best of them. Also, Phil throws harder than he did today. Let him get some arm strength back.

Phil will be fine. Unfortunately, you will not.
nykgeneralmanager
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#74 » by nykgeneralmanager » Sat Aug 4, 2007 11:36 pm

You missed his start against Texas I assume. Ask Mark Teixeira about Hughes' secondary stuff.

Hughes hasn't made a big league start in 3 months, it is possible that he couldn't get a feel for his changeup, which is completely a "feel" pitch. Also, the Yankees could tell him what to primarily throw, which they do with just about every top prospect as they progress through the minors. Hughes is no longer in the minors so I'm not sure if that is the case, but just coming off an injury I could see him being told not to put too much stress on his body and to just work on getting the rust off. Of course by your standards, that is babying him.
Pharmcat
RealGM

Post#75 » by Pharmcat » Sat Aug 4, 2007 11:44 pm

cmaff051 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

You are a moron. If you ever watched him in the minors, you would know that he has plenty of confidence in his secondary stuff, especially his curve. He just couldn't get them over today, it happens to the best of them. Also, Phil throws harder than he did today. Let him get some arm strength back.

Phil will be fine. Unfortunately, you will not.

isnt that what minor league rehab starts are for?
Pharmcat
RealGM

Post#76 » by Pharmcat » Sat Aug 4, 2007 11:46 pm

nykgeneralmanager wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

You missed his start against Texas I assume. Ask Mark Teixeira about Hughes' secondary stuff.

Hughes hasn't made a big league start in 3 months, it is possible that he couldn't get a feel for his changeup, which is completely a "feel" pitch. Also, the Yankees could tell him what to primarily throw, which they do with just about every top prospect as they progress through the minors. Hughes is no longer in the minors so I'm not sure if that is the case, but just coming off an injury I could see him being told not to put too much stress on his body and to just work on getting the rust off. Of course by your standards, that is babying him.

isnt that what rehab starts are for?
nykgeneralmanager
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#77 » by nykgeneralmanager » Sat Aug 4, 2007 11:48 pm

isnt that what rehab starts are for?

Oh so when you come back from rehabbing, there is no adjustment to the majors? Guys like Wang, Moose, and Clemens threw shutouts in their first games back? Maybe I missed something, but I'd say about 99% of pitchers suck in their first game back after missing 3 months with a serious injury.
nykgeneralmanager
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#78 » by nykgeneralmanager » Sat Aug 4, 2007 11:49 pm

isnt that what minor league rehab starts are for?

Uhh, no. Arm strength isn't something you gain from rehabbing, its something you gain from just pitching. Guys like Wang and Clemens gain arm strength each time they go out on the mound. That is why Hughes sits 91-93, but at the END of last year was throwing 94-95, even 96. Arm strength has zero to do with ''rehabs'' or injuries. But because he missed so much time, he doesn't have his midseason arm strength yet.
Pharmcat
RealGM

Post#79 » by Pharmcat » Sat Aug 4, 2007 11:52 pm

it was clear he was gassed at the end.....maybe if he wasnt always limited to pitch counts, he couldve learned how to pitch in adverse circumstances
Pharmcat
RealGM

Post#80 » by Pharmcat » Sat Aug 4, 2007 11:53 pm

he put up a igawa like performance today, very disappointing

couldnt even go 5, guess he fits just in with the rest of the staff minus wang

Return to New York Yankees