ImageImage

2018 Packers Offseason Thread - Witten Thinks Dez Will Sign with Packers (pg 49)

Moderators: paulpressey25, MickeyDavis, humanrefutation

M-C-G
RealGM
And1: 5,992

Re: 2018 Packers Offseason Thread - Witten Thinks Dez Will Sign with Packers (pg 49) 

Post#981 » by M-C-G » Wed May 16, 2018 12:53 am

Aaron It Out wrote:https://football.realgm.com/wiretap/40562/Packers-Not-Expected-To-Sign-Dez-Bryant

The Green Bay Packers are not expected to sign Dez Bryant, which contradicts a prediction from ESPN's Jason Witten that his former teammate would go there.

The Packers had some level of interest in Bryant when he was first release but they have signed drafted wide receiver J'Mon Moore in the fourth round, wide receiver Marquez Valdes-Scantling in the fifth round and wide receiver Equanimeous St. Brown in the sixth round.

Bryant remains a free agent after receiving initial interest from a number of teams, including the Packers and Ravens.

Not being interested in Dez because we grabbed a bunch of guys late in the draft is the most Ted Thompson thing ever. I don't care if we aren't interested in Dez, but it has to be for a different reason.

I’d personally be fine with signing Dez but I think you have a guy that isn’t going to be able to run routes in a way Rodgers can trust and has lost a lot of his after the catch ability.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Something special is happening — and it’s not happening because of a couple of lucky bounces. It’s happening because my guys are for real.

JABARI PARKER

dbrodz7
Pro Prospect
And1: 357

Re: 2018 Packers Offseason Thread - Witten Thinks Dez Will Sign with Packers (pg 49) 

Post#982 » by dbrodz7 » Wed May 16, 2018 2:02 am

I don't think Dez is very good anymore and the rest of the league clearly agrees or he'd have a job. Once you get to the point where the headache outweighs the talent you're out of the league. That said, I think if all three receivers we drafted bomb and he's still unassigned heading into the season we will end up bringing him in.
Winning.
rilamann
RealGM
And1: 1,438

Post#983 » by rilamann » Wed May 16, 2018 5:18 am

dbrodz7 wrote:I don't think Dez is very good anymore .

But he'd be one Devante Adams concussion away from being the Packers best WR and it wouldn't even be close.

Dez might not be great, but I would take him (especially with Rodgers throwing him the ball) over the trash we're going to trot out there at WR this season.
SupremeHustle wrote:Let's get Jabari in the game so we have someone to blame.
ak7
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,336

Post#984 » by ak7 » Wed May 16, 2018 12:09 pm

crkone wrote:
Read on Twitter

Also didn't list floating WR/RB Montgomery

Any half decent defense is going to have such an easy time with this offense, it's going to be so funny to watch. Maybe Dez has no interest in GB for history reasons, but when that is your depth chart, how do you not bring him in? If Adams gets hurt, you're done. Every team will drop two back, play man underneath and wait for the rush to win. Kind of like what has happened the past two years with this offense.

Not to mention that they will spend a lot of time splitting Graham out, and McCarthy loves to try to negate the rush with 2 TE sets, so is Emmanuel Boyd running underneaths as well? We are so dangerous.
ROballer wrote:I will **** all over this league

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Lakers board AWARD Winning Dynasty League
XtremeDunkz
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,214

Post#985 » by XtremeDunkz » Wed May 16, 2018 12:51 pm

Even without accounting for injuries you pretty much have to bank on one of the rookies being able to contribute this season. Otherwise we are in big trouble. Should have kept Jordy.
10/27/16
Nemesis21 wrote:It is absolutely hilarious hearing people still say Embiid has superstar potential.The guy is one injury away from being Greg Oden.:lol: Except Oden manged to play over 100 games in the NBA, I don't think Embiid will play more.
Aaron It Out
General Manager
And1: 2,298

Post#986 » by Aaron It Out » Wed May 16, 2018 2:15 pm

This reminds me so much of the Randy Moss situation. I'd be absolutely shocked if Dez came here and wasn't extremely good.

Again, I won't be heartbroken if we don't sign him. He probably wants a lot more money than we can afford. He also has some notable character issues. But if our reasoning for not pursuing Dez is because we're going to rely on J'Mon Moore or Equanimeous St. Brown to produce THIS YEAR, we're in big trouble.
EastSideBucksFan wrote:At some point this board is going to have to drop their stupid bullsht agendas and just enjoy the team for once.
Ron Swanson
RealGM
And1: 6,646

Post#987 » by Ron Swanson » Wed May 16, 2018 2:19 pm

Just go get some cheap veteran WR still on the market, rather than paying a boat load of cash to an aging, not-that-great-anymore Dez Bryant.
sdn40
Starter
And1: 647

Post#988 » by sdn40 » Wed May 16, 2018 2:43 pm

Aaron It Out wrote:https://football.realgm.com/wiretap/40562/Packers-Not-Expected-To-Sign-Dez-Bryant

The Green Bay Packers are not expected to sign Dez Bryant, which contradicts a prediction from ESPN's Jason Witten that his former teammate would go there.

The Packers had some level of interest in Bryant when he was first release but they have signed drafted wide receiver J'Mon Moore in the fourth round, wide receiver Marquez Valdes-Scantling in the fifth round and wide receiver Equanimeous St. Brown in the sixth round.

Bryant remains a free agent after receiving initial interest from a number of teams, including the Packers and Ravens.

Not being interested in Dez because we grabbed a bunch of guys late in the draft is the most Ted Thompson thing ever. I don't care if we aren't interested in Dez, but it has to be for a different reason.

Of course it's for a host of other reasons that are obvious to everyone. The Packers aren't going to throw him under the bus
ak7
Lead Assistant

Post#989 » by ak7 » Wed May 16, 2018 5:24 pm

Ron Swanson wrote:Just go get some cheap veteran WR still on the market, rather than paying a boat load of cash to an aging, not-that-great-anymore Dez Bryant.

Eric Decker? Brandon Marshall? Jeremy Maclin?

You can replace Dez Bryant with those three names, all of which happen to be still on the market. Packers doubled down on Adams and it's going to bite them in the ass.

Dandridgefav
Junior
And1: 26

Post#990 » by Dandridgefav » Wed May 16, 2018 5:27 pm

Like 3 late round rookies means the position is handled?
Dez for a one year deal ONLY IF Aaron is consulted and agreed,
Ron Swanson
RealGM
And1: 6,646

Post#991 » by Ron Swanson » Wed May 16, 2018 5:27 pm

ak7 wrote:
Ron Swanson wrote:Just go get some cheap veteran WR still on the market, rather than paying a boat load of cash to an aging, not-that-great-anymore Dez Bryant.

You can replace Dez Bryant with those three names, all of which happen to be still on the market. Packers doubled down on Adams and it's going to bite them in the ass.

Yeah, doubling down on the guy PFF ranked as the 12th best wideout last year is such a terrible idea.
RRyder823
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,243

Re: RE: Re: 2018 Packers Offseason Thread - Witten Thinks Dez Will Sign with Packers (pg 49) 

Post#992 » by RRyder823 » Wed May 16, 2018 5:37 pm

Ron Swanson wrote:
ak7 wrote:

Yeah, doubling down on the guy PFF ranked as the 12th best wideout last year is such a terrible idea.

I love Adams but he is one head shot away from his career being in question.

I'm OK with them betting on him but they did throw a pretty large chunk of chips down on him not taking said head shot

Sent from my SM-G892A using RealGM mobile app
Dandridgefav
Junior
And1: 26

Re: 2018 Packers Offseason Thread - Vogel Released (pg 47) 

Post#993 » by Dandridgefav » Wed May 16, 2018 5:38 pm

Karmaloop wrote:
Dandridgefav wrote:Giants considering trading LT Ereck Flowers. I've been pulling for this for months. Ereck could start at RT and back up LT very well. I'd give our 5th in next years draft,

He's legitimately awful. The Giants OL situation isn't very good, and the Giants are actively shopping him. And they signed Nate Solder to move him over to RT. That should tell you enough about Flowers.

You over-state the truth. While mediocre at LT Flowers COULD do well at RT - like Bulaga was drafted as a LT and became successful as a RT. And while not great at LT - if Bakhtari went out for a half game - Flowers would at least have prior experience playing there and would handle position better than anyone else on the roster - unless you consider Spriggs capable of holding down LT.?
Balls2TheWalls
RealGM
And1: 1,043

Re: RE: Re: 2018 Packers Offseason Thread - Witten Thinks Dez Will Sign with Packers (pg 49) 

Post#994 » by Balls2TheWalls » Wed May 16, 2018 9:21 pm

RRyder823 wrote:
Ron Swanson wrote:Yeah, doubling down on the guy PFF ranked as the 12th best wideout last year is such a terrible idea.

I'm OK with them betting on him but they did throw a pretty large chunk of chips down on him not taking said head shot

The contract we gave Adams made a lot of sense. I think that people forget how god awful Jordy was last season, and that Adams, for a lot of games, was our only passing weapon. I hope he doesn't get hurt.

That being said, I would not mind giving Dez Bryant a prove it contract to empower our roster. I don't think that the current roster makeup has any chance of holding fewer than 7 receivers. Our TE depth is very short, and it might allow us to do that. I think that Adams, Cobb, and Allison are locks. I think that Davis is a lock unless we find someone who can be a competent PR/KR. I am not pro using Alexander there. He is too valuable to risk him with returning. Bringing on Dez would still allow you to keep Moore and St. Brown (or some combination of 2 of the 3 rookies, that is just how I see it shaking out), and stash Valdez-Scantling on the PS.
SupremeHustle wrote:Salmons might shoot us out of games, but SJAX shoots people out of parking lots. Think about it.
RRyder823
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,243

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: 2018 Packers Offseason Thread - Witten Thinks Dez Will Sign with Packers (pg 49) 

Post#995 » by RRyder823 » Wed May 16, 2018 11:48 pm

Balls2TheWalls wrote:
RRyder823 wrote:
Ron Swanson wrote:Yeah, doubling down on the guy PFF ranked as the 12th best wideout last year is such a terrible idea.

The contract we gave Adams made a lot of sense. I think that people forget how god awful Jordy was last season, and that Adams, for a lot of games, was our only passing weapon. I hope he doesn't get hurt.

That being said, I would not mind giving Dez Bryant a prove it contract to empower our roster. I don't think that the current roster makeup has any chance of holding fewer than 7 receivers. Our TE depth is very short, and it might allow us to do that. I think that Adams, Cobb, and Allison are locks. I think that Davis is a lock unless we find someone who can be a competent PR/KR. I am not pro using Alexander there. He is too valuable to risk him with returning. Bringing on Dez would still allow you to keep Moore and St. Brown (or some combination of 2 of the 3 rookies, that is just how I see it shaking out), and stash Valdez-Scantling on the PS.

My reservations have nothing to do with his ability. They have to do with how one head shot can possibly end his career at this point.

I wouldve given him the contract also but it is a risk

Balls2TheWalls
RealGM
And1: 1,043

Post#996 » by Balls2TheWalls » Wed May 16, 2018 11:52 pm

Agreed they had to give him the contract. It was just another season where we had the best player going into free agency at a position we also needed. It is very similar to the Nick Perry contract. At least we didn't end up giving Adams the kind of money Watkins got.
SupremeHustle wrote:Salmons might shoot us out of games, but SJAX shoots people out of parking lots. Think about it.
Mags FTW
RealGM
And1: 2,813

Post#997 » by Mags FTW » Thu May 17, 2018 1:46 pm

I’m not going to get worked up about the WR position. Diggs and Thielen were just graded best WR duo by PFF and they were a 5th rounder and an UDFA.

If you have a QB as good as Rodgers, an O-line that can block, and a scheme other than “go get open”, the WR position should work itself out.
UW Head Football Coach Gary Andersen wrote:I don't know that.
ArodpwnsFavre
Bench Warmer
And1: 202

Post#998 » by ArodpwnsFavre » Thu May 17, 2018 6:06 pm

Looks like all the rookie's have signed except our 3rd rounder. packers should have 12.5 mil left barring another vet signing.
Profound23
RealGM
And1: 1,390

Post#999 » by Profound23 » Thu May 17, 2018 7:45 pm

RRyder823 wrote:
Ron Swanson wrote:
ak7 wrote:

Understood, I wasn't as high on the Adams signing as others were (for the same reason you stated) but comparing him at this point in his career to Decker, Marshall, and Maclin is insane. Those dudes are done and if they play will be part time players anyway.
ak7
Lead Assistant

Post#1000 » by ak7 » Fri May 18, 2018 11:44 am

Profound23 wrote:
RRyder823 wrote:
Ron Swanson wrote:

Understood, I wasn't as high on the Adams signing as others were (for the same reason you stated) but comparing him at this point in his career to Decker, Marshall, and Maclin is insane. Those dudes are done and if they play will be part time players anyway.

I don't think anyone compared Adams to those three. Reading comprehension goes a long way.

Return to Green Bay Packers