ImageImage

Packers News, Trade Ideas, Transactions - 2023 Off Season

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25, humanrefutation

tski1972
Head Coach
And1: 3,614

Re: Packers News, Trade Ideas, Transactions - Amari, Hill released 

Post#1641 » by tski1972 » Fri Dec 9, 2022 8:27 pm

Giannisland34 wrote:This wishing the Packers lost or even hoping to lose to the BEARS makes me sick. Makes me question how much of fan you truly are and reminds me how spoiled of fan base we’ve become with Farve and Rodgers. Where was Tony Mandarich picked? 2nd overall. Oh and how many HOFers were picked after him? Interesting, very interesting.

If the team had a realistic shot at the playoffs of course no one would be rooting for losses. But I’m a realist. I’m hoping they lose every game the rest of the season because, in my head, I believe it gives them a better opportunity to better next year.

And if the Packers don’t draft Mandarich good chance Favre and/or Rodgers never play in Green Bay.
http://twitter.com/MarkIsOld

"Because of Giannis, the once lousy Bucks are back in the NBA conversation." - 60 Minutes
DrWood
Head Coach
And1: 2,383

Post#1642 » by DrWood » Fri Dec 9, 2022 11:50 pm

Giannisland34 wrote:This wishing the Packers lost or even hoping to lose to the BEARS makes me sick. Makes me question how much of fan you truly are and reminds me how spoiled of fan base we’ve become with Farve and Rodgers. Where was Tony Mandarich picked? 2nd overall. Oh and how many HOFers were picked after him? Interesting, very interesting.

It makes me question whether you care about the long-term success of the team.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 46,293

Post#1643 » by MickeyDavis » Sun Dec 11, 2022 3:44 pm

Read on Twitter
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
stillgotgame
Analyst
And1: 1,989

Post#1644 » by stillgotgame » Sun Dec 11, 2022 8:06 pm

DrWood wrote:

Purely hypothetical. Draft position only in theory is an asset. Please list which team has tanked and won a Super Bowl as a result of drafting higher?
I do agree that we have more incentive to lose because we want to see Love. But how much of that is just fan’s curiosity? I doubt him getting out there and playing the last 4-5 games instead of the last 2 has an impact on Gute & company’s QB decision tree.
Bucks in 6
DrWood
Head Coach
And1: 2,383

Post#1645 » by DrWood » Mon Dec 12, 2022 3:43 am

stillgotgame wrote:
DrWood wrote:

Purely hypothetical. Draft position only in theory is an asset. Please list which team has tanked and won a Super Bowl as a result of drafting higher?
I do agree that we have more incentive to lose because we want to see Love. But how much of that is just fan’s curiosity? I doubt him getting out there and playing the last 4-5 games instead of the last 2 has an impact on Gute & company’s QB decision tree.

You're asking me to spend a few hours to satisfy your curiosity. I pass. But there were several occurrences, such as Indy tanking to get Peyton.
Treebeard
Head Coach
And1: 1,752

Post#1646 » by Treebeard » Tue Dec 13, 2022 2:15 pm

Via Acmepackincompany.com :

According to Aaron Wilson of KPRC in Houston, the Green Bay Packers brought in running back Mark Thompson for a workout on Monday. Thompson is coming off of a 2022 USFL campaign for the Houston Gamblers where he ranked at the top of the league in missed tackles forced and rushing yards after contact. In total, Thompson carried the ball 114 times for 463 yards (4.1 yards per attempt) and two touchdowns in the USFL.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 46,293

Post#1647 » by MickeyDavis » Wed Dec 14, 2022 3:35 am

Read on Twitter
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,553

Post#1648 » by ReasonablySober » Wed Dec 14, 2022 3:58 am

MickeyDavis wrote:
Read on Twitter

I feel like that guy for over a month has been **** on the idea that the Packers could move on after this season. Now he's easy to trade and on a year by year deal? LOL.
Profound23
RealGM
And1: 6,691

Post#1649 » by Profound23 » Wed Dec 14, 2022 4:24 am

DrWood wrote:
stillgotgame wrote:
DrWood wrote:It makes me question whether you care about the long-term success of the team.

You're asking me to spend a few hours to satisfy your curiosity. I pass. But there were several occurrences, such as Indy tanking to get Peyton.

That is one.

Also, Cincy tanked for Burrow and made it to the Superbowl within two years, with a good chance to get back this year. Tanking isn't to guarantee a SB, it's to give yourself the best chance at the best player. It's not something I would want to do every year, but in a year where our team is underperforming and there are some top QBs coming out it would be ideal. You can trade down and take a massive haul................or draft Aaron's replacement if Love is given the rest of the season and proves nothing.
PintSizedBox10
Head Coach
And1: 3,240

Post#1650 » by PintSizedBox10 » Wed Dec 14, 2022 2:06 pm

Are we just going to ignore the numerous teams that have picked early for years and sucked?

If we draft a QB high I'll be calling for everyone's head.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk
Treebeard
Head Coach

Post#1651 » by Treebeard » Wed Dec 14, 2022 3:20 pm

PintSizedBox10 wrote:Are we just going to ignore the numerous teams that have picked early for years and sucked?

If we draft a QB high I'll be calling for everyone's head.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

Even if Rogers leaves the Packers, one way or another after this season, AND even if Gute and LaFleur think Love is a bust (they don't..), I don't see any possibilty of the Packers drafting a QB in any of the early rounds. IF Rogers is gone, Love will get the gig next season.

The only plausible way that changes is if Gute were to be fired this off season and the new GM cleans house and goes scorched earth. I don't think that's real likely either with Murphy still in the Board Rooom.
Giannisland34
Sophomore
And1: 50

Post#1652 » by Giannisland34 » Wed Dec 14, 2022 5:33 pm

DrWood wrote:

One of the first goals for the Packers to have a successful season in the past, now and in the future is beating their biggest and longtime rival the Bears.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,553

Post#1653 » by ReasonablySober » Wed Dec 14, 2022 5:35 pm

Giannisland34 wrote:
DrWood wrote:

One of the first goals for the Packers to have a successful season in the past, now and in the future is beating their biggest and longtime rival the Bears.

This isn't college football. It doesn't matter, at all.
Giannisland34
Sophomore

Post#1654 » by Giannisland34 » Wed Dec 14, 2022 7:21 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:
Giannisland34 wrote:
DrWood wrote:It makes me question whether you care about the long-term success of the team.

The hell it doesn’t! It was our most important games as kid. As we were on an endless cycle of trying to tank for a better pick. I remember that time and it wasn’t pretty. It matters as many, many Bears fans are obnoxious. It matters that we now hold the series lead. It matters that we have more Super Bowls. It definitely still matters. I get that I may not for some, especially if you live out of state and don’t know any Bears fans. To think it doesn’t matter is false. Remember the Packer players reaction after winning the last game? Tell them it doesn’t matter too. Because they don’t react like after ever win and interact with fans like that.
LittleRooster
General Manager
And1: 3,121

Packers News, Trade Ideas, Transactions - Amari, Hill released 

Post#1655 » by LittleRooster » Wed Dec 14, 2022 9:41 pm

Giannisland34 wrote:
ReasonablySober wrote:
Giannisland34 wrote:

The hell it doesn’t! It was our most important games as kid. As we were on an endless cycle of trying to tank for a better pick. I remember that time and it wasn’t pretty. It matters as many, many Bears fans are obnoxious. It matters that we now hold the series lead. It matters that we have more Super Bowls. It definitely still matters. I get that I may not for some, especially if you live out of state and don’t know any Bears fans. To think it doesn’t matter is false. Remember the Packer players reaction after winning the last game? Tell them it doesn’t matter too. Because they don’t react like after ever win and interact with fans like that.

Only thing that matters is Super Bowls. Things like you’re talking about can be fun for pride, but at the end of the day, championships talk

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Treebeard
Head Coach

Post#1656 » by Treebeard » Wed Dec 14, 2022 9:45 pm

Via Packers.com:

The Green Bay Packers activated T Caleb Jones off of the non-football illness list. The transaction was announced Wednesday by General Manager Brian Gutekunst.
tski1972
Head Coach
And1: 3,614

Post#1657 » by tski1972 » Thu Dec 15, 2022 12:58 am

Giannisland34 wrote:
ReasonablySober wrote:
Giannisland34 wrote:

Rivalry games are often built up by the media to make you believe it’s important. I guarantee players play into it for the fans but I doubt they care about it at all.
http://twitter.com/MarkIsOld

"Because of Giannis, the once lousy Bucks are back in the NBA conversation." - 60 Minutes
RRyder823
General Manager
And1: 4,209

Post#1658 » by RRyder823 » Thu Dec 15, 2022 5:26 pm

Profound23 wrote:
DrWood wrote:
stillgotgame wrote:

That is one.

Also, Cincy tanked for Burrow and made it to the Superbowl within two years, with a good chance to get back this year. Tanking isn't to guarantee a SB, it's to give yourself the best chance at the best player. It's not something I would want to do every year, but in a year where our team is underperforming and there are some top QBs coming out it would be ideal. You can trade down and take a massive haul................or draft Aaron's replacement if Love is given the rest of the season and proves nothing.
Did Cincy tank or were they just bad? Jacksonville didn't tank and had the number 1 pick multiple times. They just sucked

Seems people want to conflate a high pick with a tank job

Sent from my SM-G975U using RealGM mobile app
Mags FTW
RealGM
And1: 7,372

Post#1659 » by Mags FTW » Thu Dec 15, 2022 5:35 pm

Bengals went 19-28 the three years prior to the 2-14 year which netted them Burrow. So they essentially went from bad to really bad.

We also shouldn't forget that Burrow tore his ACL his rookie year. If he didn't, they probably pick up 1-2 extra wins and don't get to pick Chase 5th the following draft.
Giannisland34
Sophomore

Post#1660 » by Giannisland34 » Thu Dec 15, 2022 6:36 pm

Here’s a list of the most recent top 10 picks the Packers have had. 2009 /9th BJ Raji, 2006 /5th AJ Hawk, 2001 /10th Jamal Reynolds,1992 /5th Terrell Buckley, 1989/ 2nd Tony Mandarich. Not a very impressive list to say the least. Rodgers was picked 24th, Kenny Clark 27th, Jaire 18th and Gary 12th as some other notable 1st rounders.

Return to Green Bay Packers