ImageImage

Saints Lead Up: Burnett, Brooks, Thomas OUT, Taylor DOUBTFUL, pg 6.

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25, humanrefutation

emunney
RealGM
And1: 37,020

Re: Saints Lead Up 

Post#21 » by emunney » Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:07 pm

I'd have some hope we could play ~.500 ball if the line was intact. But the line is absurdly not intact.

So I guess the big question is -- is it too early to start thinking about grooming a real heir to Aaron? If there's a QB we love this year, do we pull the trigger? I'm torn between "we can't afford to" and "we can't afford not to".
Here are more legal notices regarding the Posts
Kerb Hohl
RealGM
And1: 4,188
Location: Hmmmm...how many 1sts would Jason Richardson cost...?

Post#22 » by Kerb Hohl » Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:10 pm

MickeyDavis wrote:Those that will stop watching the rest of the reason (and I'm talking in general, I've heard that talk plenty at work today ) can piss off.

I'm going to watch the majority of it for sure. The only thing that makes this different than a hypothetical 2024 season without Rodgers where we start 3-7 is that I'm probably paying a bit more attention to the young players, the young QB etc. in a season like that.

If Hundley goes 0-4 to start, there's almost nothing to watch the rest of the year. Hundley's development is a lost cause, we won't be trying to see who our next QB is, probably 60% of the defense will not be in a Packer uniform the following year. At that point all I've got left is to cheer against the Vikings and for the Packers to get a better draft pick.
M-C-G
RealGM
And1: 9,407

Post#23 » by M-C-G » Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:15 pm

emunney wrote:I'd have some hope we could play ~.500 ball if the line was intact. But the line is absurdly not intact.

So I guess the big question is -- is it too early to start thinking about grooming a real heir to Aaron? If there's a QB we love this year, do we pull the trigger? I'm torn between "we can't afford to" and "we can't afford not to".

I'd say too soon, though we should always have a developmental guy on the roster. Best case is that Hundley looks great and we can maybe flip Hundley for a win now piece / asset.
JimmyTheKid
General Manager
And1: 5,194

Post#24 » by JimmyTheKid » Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:18 pm

So McCarthy gets another "because injuries" mulligan of a season. Awesome. And we'll never know what prime Rodgers and the Packers could've done with a different staff. That makes me really, really sad. Unless, of course, we win the Super Bowl this season with Hundley, trade him for the #1 overall pick in next year's draft, and witness Rodgers win a couple more rings before sailing off into the sunset...
Flames24Rulz
Head Coach
And1: 343

Post#25 » by Flames24Rulz » Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:23 pm

JimmyTheKid wrote:So McCarthy gets another "because injuries" mulligan of a season. Awesome. And we'll never know what prime Rodgers and the Packers could've done with a different staff. That makes me really, really sad. Unless, of course, we win the Super Bowl this season with Hundley, trade him for the #1 overall pick in next year's draft, and witness Rodgers win a couple more rings before sailing off into the sunset...

I'm far more concerned that Capers has another built-in excuse to retaining his job than MM getting another excuse.
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,684

Post#26 » by WeekapaugGroove » Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:26 pm

Rollins tore his achilles. Have to think thats it for him as an NFL player since he lacked the athleticism for cb before the injury. Seems like a good hard working dude but man what a miss as a 2nd rounder.

Sent from my SM-G930V using RealGM mobile app
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM

Re: RE: Re: Saints Lead Up 

Post#27 » by WeekapaugGroove » Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:33 pm

JimmyTheKid wrote:So McCarthy gets another "because injuries" mulligan of a season. Awesome. And we'll never know what prime Rodgers and the Packers could've done with a different staff. That makes me really, really sad. Unless, of course, we win the Super Bowl this season with Hundley, trade him for the #1 overall pick in next year's draft, and witness Rodgers win a couple more rings before sailing off into the sunset...

While I doubt even the worst finish gets MM fired a really bad showing will plant him and TT on the hot seat.

I've been a little torn on the whole MM deal for a couple years. While I do think sometimes a change and new voice and ideas are good for a team making a regime change is a huge risk. History shows that those moves have a better than 50% chance of being complete failure. And failing and going 6-10 for a few years would be the true waste of rodgers prime. Again I get the complaints about this regime but I also get with how close they have got some of these years why they have chose to run it back and try again.

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
JimmyTheKid
General Manager
And1: 5,194

Re: RE: Re: Saints Lead Up 

Post#28 » by JimmyTheKid » Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:42 pm

WeekapaugGroove wrote:

While I doubt even the worst finish gets MM fired a really bad showing will plant him and TT on the hot seat.

I've been a little torn on the whole MM deal for a couple years. While I do think sometimes a change and new voice and ideas are good for a team making a regime change is a huge risk. History shows that those moves have a better than 50% chance of being complete failure. And failing and going 6-10 for a few years would be the true waste of rodgers prime. Again I get the complaints about this regime but I also get with how close they have got some of these years why they have chose to run it back and try again.

I just don't think there is a scenario one could concoct where the Packers could go 6-10 for multiple seasons with a healthy Aaron Rodgers in his prime. And I fully understand "the grass isn't always greener" sentiment. But we've had injuries, we've had terrible defenses, bad special teams, and Rodgers overcomes it all. He'll be 35 next year coming off a 2nd broken collarbone. Don't get me wrong, I'd be all for a fresh start with a new staff for his 35-40 years. But the time to do it, and maximize the Rodgers' prime years in a new system, has all but come and gone. Unfortunately.
ibanezjp
Senior
And1: 288

Post#29 » by ibanezjp » Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:44 pm

Flames24Rulz wrote:The absolute best case scenario for Rodgers is that it's a 7 week injury. That's what it was back in 2013, obviously on his non-throwing shoulder, though. I'm thinking a 9 week timetable can be realistic, which would put Rodgers back in Week 16 against Minnesota and Week 17 against Detroit. However, to make that even feasible, Hundley (or whoever the QB will be if/when Hundley gets hurt) needs to win 4 games. If Bakhtiari & Bulaga were actually healthy, I think that situation would actually be somewhat doable. The schedule is pretty soft -- the only games I give us absolutely no shot in winning with a backup QB are @ Pittsburgh and @ Carolina. Every other one, we should at least have a shot to win.

I know people love to say that the talent outside of Rodgers on this team is bare. And I really don't think that's true. I think Montgomery & Jones at RB is a formidable 1-2 punch, and I think Jordy/Adams/Cobb is a 1-2-3 just about any offensive coordinator would want to have. This is a good, but not great situation for Hundley to come into. He's had 3 years of experience, knows the offense, knows the players in the offense. This isn't a high selection coming into Cleveland or Chicago with hardly no formidable NFL talent around him. I don't think there really is such thing as a perfect situation for a brand new starter to be in, but this one doesn't really suck for Hundley. It's on him -- he shouldn't have any excuses and McCarthy damn well better open up the gameplan for him this week with a full week to prepare him as QB1.

I just can’t find a reason to be optimistic he can play at any point again this season aside from maybe the NFCCG or the Owl. This is his throwing shoulder and unlike last time he never came back out on the sidelines and they said he had to take a golf cart to leave the locker room to the bus. He must be in a lot of pain if he couldn’t even walk. It would be so awesome though if he could comeback like week 17 like last time. Just doesn’t seem possible.
Flames24Rulz
Head Coach

Post#30 » by Flames24Rulz » Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:44 pm

At least a broken collarbone isn't an injury that should slow him down any and should not affect his on-field play once he returns. Obviously the concern is he's much more prone to suffer the same injury going forward, though.
ibanezjp
Senior

Post#31 » by ibanezjp » Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:46 pm

Flames24Rulz wrote:At least a broken collarbone isn't an injury that should slow him down any and should not affect his on-field play once he returns. Obviously the concern is he's much more prone to suffer the same injury going forward, though.

Yeah, he should be good to go next year. Homer kept saying on the post game show, “I don’t know how it could be any worse.” Uhh, an ACL would be way worse since he would most likely miss some time next year too.
Flames24Rulz
Head Coach

Post#32 » by Flames24Rulz » Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:49 pm

ibanezjp wrote:
Flames24Rulz wrote:The absolute best case scenario for Rodgers is that it's a 7 week injury. That's what it was back in 2013, obviously on his non-throwing shoulder, though. I'm thinking a 9 week timetable can be realistic, which would put Rodgers back in Week 16 against Minnesota and Week 17 against Detroit. However, to make that even feasible, Hundley (or whoever the QB will be if/when Hundley gets hurt) needs to win 4 games. If Bakhtiari & Bulaga were actually healthy, I think that situation would actually be somewhat doable. The schedule is pretty soft -- the only games I give us absolutely no shot in winning with a backup QB are @ Pittsburgh and @ Carolina. Every other one, we should at least have a shot to win.

I know people love to say that the talent outside of Rodgers on this team is bare. And I really don't think that's true. I think Montgomery & Jones at RB is a formidable 1-2 punch, and I think Jordy/Adams/Cobb is a 1-2-3 just about any offensive coordinator would want to have. This is a good, but not great situation for Hundley to come into. He's had 3 years of experience, knows the offense, knows the players in the offense. This isn't a high selection coming into Cleveland or Chicago with hardly no formidable NFL talent around him. I don't think there really is such thing as a perfect situation for a brand new starter to be in, but this one doesn't really suck for Hundley. It's on him -- he shouldn't have any excuses and McCarthy damn well better open up the gameplan for him this week with a full week to prepare him as QB1.

I just can’t find a reason to be optimistic he can play at any point again this season aside from maybe the NFCCG or the Owl. This is his throwing shoulder and unlike last time he never came back out on the sidelines and they said he had to take a golf cart to leave the locker room to the bus. He must be in a lot of pain if he couldn’t even walk. It would be so awesome though if he could comeback like week 17 like last time. Just doesn’t seem possible.

We'll see. I think the Packers also learned how horribly they handled the situation back in 2013 too. Putting him on the sideline in a sling and then basically saying that he was week to week did nothing to really help them, and I'm sure it was a bit of a distraction to get the "will he or won't he?" questions that they were getting every week.

Another example of a broken collarbone recovery time, although a completely different sport, is Patrick Kane in 2015. He broke his collarbone the last week of February and returned for Game 1 of the playoffs in April that year. He only ended up missing 7 weeks too. Obviously every injury is different and every recovery is different, but I'd really be shocked if Rodgers ends up being totally done for the season. The only way I see that happening is if they go in a tailspin and they're basically eliminated before he's healed enough to give it a go.
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM

Post#33 » by WeekapaugGroove » Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:50 pm

ibanezjp wrote:
Flames24Rulz wrote:At least a broken collarbone isn't an injury that should slow him down any and should not affect his on-field play once he returns. Obviously the concern is he's much more prone to suffer the same injury going forward, though.

Yeah, he should be good to go next year. Homer kept saying on the post game show, “I don’t know how it could be any worse.” Uhh, an ACL would be way worse since he would most likely miss some time next year too.

two words for Homer..... Torn Labrum.... a torn labrum would be worlds worse than this collar bone injury.
Flames24Rulz
Head Coach

Post#34 » by Flames24Rulz » Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:51 pm

ibanezjp wrote:

An ACL/knee injury would hurt his mobility, and that would obviously really affect his on-field performance. I'm pretty sure I said the same thing in 2013, but if you're going to break a bone and if you're an athlete, that's probably the one that you want to break based on the recovery time & how it doesn't impact your long-term play.
dbrodz7
Sixth Man
And1: 1,273

Post#35 » by dbrodz7 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:01 pm

Flames24Rulz wrote:
ibanezjp wrote:

An ACL/knee injury would hurt his mobility, and that would obviously really affect his on-field performance. I'm pretty sure I said the same thing in 2013, but if you're going to break a bone and if you're an athlete, that's probably the one that you want to break based on the recovery time & how it doesn't impact your long-term play.

He needs to have surgery, how much does that impact going forward and risk of reinjury?
Misery loves company
chuckleslove
RealGM
And1: 1,128

Post#36 » by chuckleslove » Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:14 pm

The thing that kills me the most about this is that everything is wide open. We saw basically every team keeping pace with us for home field advantage lose yesterday. While our defense had its moments yesterday they still only gave up 23 points.

I'm going to hold out hope for Hundley to look better with a full week of practice and game planning and hope for the best come playoff time. If he sucks and we get a top 10 pick so be it, if he can tread water and we make the playoffs and Rodgers comes back anything can happen and hopefully we can then flip Hundley for some picks.

I wasn't likely going to be able to watch this game anyways, I'll be boarding a cruise ship in Barcelona right around kickoff time but I'll still try to see if the Sports Bar on the ship has the game on and watch it if I can.

Anyone who says they are giving up or not watching is a little bitch. I unfriended a couple people on Facebook who said they would boycott if we signed Kaepernick. I don't think we should sign Kaepernick but not for the reasons they would boycott.
I'm dealing with cancer, it sucks, can follow along for updates if that's your thing: Chuck's cancer Go Fund Me page
ibanezjp
Senior

Post#37 » by ibanezjp » Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:16 pm

He needs to have surgery, how much does that impact going forward and risk of reinjury?[/quote]

I’m guessing it’s the thing Bradshaw talked about yesterday where they need to plate it to set it. So obviously it’s worse than the crack he had last time. Again it just makes me think it will be really hard for him to make it back.

Did anyone just see that press conference by Mac? He flipped when the guy asked about Kaep. He was pretty pissed off.
Flames24Rulz
Head Coach

Post#38 » by Flames24Rulz » Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:29 pm

dbrodz7 wrote:
Flames24Rulz wrote:
ibanezjp wrote:

He needs to have surgery, how much does that impact going forward and risk of reinjury?

I'd actually think the risk of re-injury goes down with surgery on it. But yeah, the recovery time is most likely going to be longer than seven weeks. That sucks.
ibanezjp
Senior

Post#39 » by ibanezjp » Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:10 am

So after hearing Ryan Wood echo similar sentiments that the orthopedic surgeon than Bill Michaels had on his show it seems near impossible for him to be back in any capacity. Basically would be 10-12 weeks before he can even start throwing and then who knows how rusty he will be. The thing I easily forgot is that last time he could probably start throwing lightly after a couple weeks where’s this will be immobilezed for a while. Man, this stinks. This was finally our year where no super dominant team was gonna be in our way.
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM

Post#40 » by WeekapaugGroove » Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:28 am

Randall should be made fun of by his teammates for this. Jeez

Read on Twitter

Return to Green Bay Packers