Packers News, Trades, Transactions - Keke Released

Moderators: paulpressey25, MickeyDavis, humanrefutation

MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 46,250

Re: Packers News, Trades, Transactions 

Post#221 » by MickeyDavis » Wed Dec 29, 2021 8:39 pm

It's a determining factor for the Pack. If Rodgers is traded you don't bring back Adams, even if he wants to come back (which he wouldn't).

Read on Twitter
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
coolhandluke121
RealGM
And1: 6,911

Post#222 » by coolhandluke121 » Wed Dec 29, 2021 9:47 pm

Some of Adams's premium value is tied to the connection with Rodgers. He's great regardless, but I'm not convinced his next contract is going to be a good one for any team unless he's with Rodgers - and even then, it's fairly risky. I would be happy with Rodgers staying to keep chasing titles, but I'd also be totally fine saving that money to build the team around defense and (especially) the run game. I think their RB's and O-line are terrific when healthy, and I think they have a great front office and coaching staff, special teams notwithstanding.
Wut we've got here is... faaailure... to communakate.
Profound23
RealGM
And1: 6,661

Post#223 » by Profound23 » Wed Dec 29, 2021 10:41 pm

If we don't keep Davante then we better franchise and trade him for at least one 1st.
Profound23
RealGM

Post#224 » by Profound23 » Wed Dec 29, 2021 10:43 pm

MoMM wrote:Is Josh Myers out for the season?

At this point I just assume they all are. Tired of hearing "we are hopeful that he will be back soon."
Treebeard
Head Coach
And1: 1,752

Post#225 » by Treebeard » Wed Dec 29, 2021 11:28 pm

coolhandluke121 wrote:Some of Adams's premium value is tied to the connection with Rodgers. He's great regardless, but I'm not convinced his next contract is going to be a good one for any team unless he's with Rodgers - and even then, it's fairly risky. I would be happy with Rodgers staying to keep chasing titles, but I'd also be totally fine saving that money to build the team around defense and (especially) the run game. I think their RB's and O-line are terrific when healthy, and I think they have a great front office and coaching staff, special teams notwithstanding.

I agree that Adams/Rogers are on another plane. Still, if Adams potentially winds up with a Mahomes, Herbert, Burrow, Allen, or even Brady, Stafford, Prescott, teams will pony up big time for his services. He's not going to save wretched passing teams with third-tier QB's (or OLines)
DigitalFool
Veteran
And1: 141

Post#226 » by DigitalFool » Wed Dec 29, 2021 11:39 pm

Profound23 wrote:If we don't keep Davante then we better franchise and trade him for at least one 1st.

You can’t if Rodgers is still here next year and even if he’s gone I still think it’s difficult. The cap hold was 16 million for 2021 for a WR.
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,686

Post#227 » by WeekapaugGroove » Wed Dec 29, 2021 11:42 pm

Profound23 wrote:If we don't keep Davante then we better franchise and trade him for at least one 1st.
I think this would actually be hard/impossible with the Packers cap situation. With an extension you can get creative with the math and make year 1 a lower cap number, when you franchise a guy that full $20+ mil hits the cap. They would have to do some major major cutting to get below enough to franchise him.

Russ Ball is going to have his work cut out for him this spring. This is probably the worst cap shape the Packers have EVER been in.

Sent from my SM-G986U using RealGM mobile app
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
Ron Swanson
RealGM
And1: 24,326

Post#228 » by Ron Swanson » Thu Dec 30, 2021 2:49 pm

You're not tagging him then trading him for value. This ain't the NBA. Either Rodgers is taking less on his next deal to accommodate making Davante the highest paid WR in the league, or he's gone.

Again, hope everyone is gonna be rational and not bitch about us having to move on from a lot of good players this offseason, because this is what happens when you go "all-in" for a 2-3 year window.
MoMM
RealGM
And1: 1,715

Post#229 » by MoMM » Thu Dec 30, 2021 2:54 pm

Ron Swanson wrote:You're not tagging him then trading him for value. This ain't the NBA.

Honest question, why can't it happen? Something legal? I don't know much about NFL contracts, only NBA.
M-C-G
RealGM
And1: 9,412

Post#230 » by M-C-G » Thu Dec 30, 2021 3:52 pm

Ron Swanson wrote:
Again, hope everyone is gonna be rational and not bitch about us having to move on from a lot of good players this offseason, because this is what happens when you go "all-in" for a 2-3 year window.

I can guarantee you there will be massive amounts of irrational and bitching posts about how we could let this happen. But Chiefs! they will say. This team seems somewhat destined to win a Super Bowl and have all of our guys get massive contracts with other teams looking to get some championship experience to put them over the hump.

I am surprised that Rodgers says it will be a quick decision though, which makes me think he is 100% out or 100% in. No idea which, but it was interesting he talked about circling Lambeau after the last game to soak it all in before heading into the tunnel.
Profound23
RealGM

Post#231 » by Profound23 » Thu Dec 30, 2021 4:27 pm

Last year there was speculation that we offer Adams a non-exclusive rights franchise tag.

This gives other teams the opportunity to sign Adams and if we decline, we receive two firsts from that team. Doesn't hurt our books unless Adams actually signs the 1 yr franchise tag...which I doubt he does. It would prevent us from signing other FAs until Adams actually signs elsewhere but I don't see us doing there anyways.
M-C-G
RealGM
And1: 9,412

Post#232 » by M-C-G » Thu Dec 30, 2021 5:00 pm

Profound23 wrote:Last year there was speculation that we offer Adams a non-exclusive rights franchise tag.

This gives other teams the opportunity to sign Adams and if we decline, we receive two firsts from that team. Doesn't hurt our books unless Adams actually signs the 1 yr franchise tag...which I doubt he does. It would prevent us from signing other FAs until Adams actually signs elsewhere but I don't see us doing there anyways.

I don't know why but for some reason I thought they got rid of that. If that is on the table, great option. But I still think if Rodgers is not going to be here, signing Adams to an extension as a safety blanket for Love could sure help his development.
PintSizedBox10
Head Coach
And1: 3,240

Post#233 » by PintSizedBox10 » Thu Dec 30, 2021 5:20 pm

I'm also under the assumption Rodgers is gone after this year. And trotting Love out there with the current group sans Adams would be less than ideal.

Sent from my SM-G981U using RealGM mobile app
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#234 » by MickeyDavis » Thu Dec 30, 2021 5:24 pm

Agreed, next year will be tough for the cap. We can save $28 million off the cap by cutting both Smith's. We save almost $7 million cutting Cobb. But that's about it without restructuring. We'd save $19.3 million trading/cutting Rodgers. He won't be cut obviously.

Fast forward to AFTER next season and we can save $20 million by cutting Bakhtiari and Jones. We could save another $11 million cutting Kenny but I don't see that happening.

You can go year by year here

https://overthecap.com/salary-cap/green-bay-packers/
Profound23
RealGM

Post#235 » by Profound23 » Thu Dec 30, 2021 5:51 pm

MickeyDavis wrote:Agreed, next year will be tough for the cap. We can save $28 million off the cap by cutting both Smith's. We save almost $7 million cutting Cobb. But that's about it without restructuring. We'd save $19.3 million trading/cutting Rodgers. He won't be cut obviously.

Fast forward to AFTER next season and we can save $20 million by cutting Bakhtiari and Jones. We could save another $11 million cutting Kenny but I don't see that happening.

That Bakhtiari contract is going to look so bad. Can't believe we didn't trade him when we had a chance.
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,686

Post#236 » by WeekapaugGroove » Thu Dec 30, 2021 5:57 pm

M-C-G wrote:
Profound23 wrote:Last year there was speculation that we offer Adams a non-exclusive rights franchise tag.

I don't know why but for some reason I thought they got rid of that. If that is on the table, great option. But I still think if Rodgers is not going to be here, signing Adams to an extension as a safety blanket for Love could sure help his development.
I'm pretty sure for any of the tags you have to clear the space to use the tag, regardless if the player actually signs it.

Sent from my SM-G986U using RealGM mobile app
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#237 » by MickeyDavis » Thu Dec 30, 2021 6:32 pm

Yes you need to have space when you tag a player. Once the player signs it he can be traded. Jags tagged and traded Ngakoue. Texans did the same with Clowney. Dee Ford. Jarvis Landry.

It happens but it would be tough to make it work.
RRyder823
General Manager
And1: 4,207

Post#238 » by RRyder823 » Thu Dec 30, 2021 7:09 pm

Profound23 wrote:
MickeyDavis wrote:Agreed, next year will be tough for the cap. We can save $28 million off the cap by cutting both Smith's. We save almost $7 million cutting Cobb. But that's about it without restructuring. We'd save $19.3 million trading/cutting Rodgers. He won't be cut obviously.

That Bakhtiari contract is going to look so bad. Can't believe we didn't trade him when we had a chance.
When exactly was "the chance to trade Bahk"?

Was it when he was a top 2 LT and about to be a FA that GB desperately wanted/needed to retain?

Or was it the week after he signed his deal before he got hurt?

If there's anything to be upset about with Bahks deal it's that they still paid him top dollar despite locking him up early. (well that and the bad luck of the injury)

Sent from my SM-G975U using RealGM mobile app
Profound23
RealGM

Post#239 » by Profound23 » Thu Dec 30, 2021 7:42 pm

RRyder823 wrote:
Profound23 wrote:

When exactly was "the chance to trade Bahk"?

Was it when he was a top 2 LT and about to be a FA that GB desperately wanted/needed to retain?

Or was it the week after he signed his deal before he got hurt?

If there's anything to be upset about with Bahks deal it's that they still paid him top dollar despite locking him up early. (well that and the bad luck of the injury)

Sent from my SM-G975U using RealGM mobile app

Before signing him to that deal. Myself (and many others) saw our cap situation and what Miami got for Tunsil and said it was the best time to trade him. So this isn't hindsight or revisionist history.....it's seeing a good business opportunity that was wasted.
skones
RealGM
And1: 17,266

Post#240 » by skones » Thu Dec 30, 2021 7:45 pm

He stay.

And willing it into existence.

Return to Green Bay Packers