Packers News, Trades, Transactions - Keke Released

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25, humanrefutation

neiLz
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,489

Re: Packers News, Trades, Transactions 

Post#281 » by neiLz » Thu Jan 6, 2022 2:45 pm

coolhandluke121 wrote:
humanrefutation wrote: In Rodgers's case, he's benefiting from being the best player in an underwhelming field of candidates. If there was anyone who had a legit shot against him for the award, no way he'd win it, IMO.

I just don't understand why Taylor isn't being given a legit shot. He's been a huge difference-maker for the Colts. I get that there's usually not that much difference between RB's, but that can't be used as a sweeping generalization against Taylor because this year there is a big gap between him and everyone else. Meanwhile, guys like Brady have counting stats without the efficiency, and Rodgers has the efficiency without the usual counting stats for an MVP. Also, for me the eye test says Rodgers has been off target about twice as much as usual this year. Don't get me wrong, he's still very accurate, but he has missed a lot of throws he normally makes and I believe he's also getting more help than usual from the run game, the scheme, and yards after the catch - not to mention the defense being better than usual, which isn't saying much but still puts their record this year into perspective compared to other MVP/GOAT seasons from Rodgers.

Just checked NBC Sports: the Packers are 4th in yards after the catch despite being only 13th in receptions. They have just 11 dropped passes, which is tied for 3rd-lowest in the league. The offensive line has been pretty good, even with all the injuries. I just think Rodgers has been getting a lot more help than usual, just like last year but with better defense and a slightly worse o-line.

It's probably because rodgers is blowing everyone away with his efficiency.

Rodgers efficiency stats are unmatched.

1st EPA+CPOE
1st adjusted EPA/play
1st in EPA/play
2nd in CPOE
1st in QBR
1st in passer rating
1st in ANY/A
1st in TD%
1st in INT %

Best player on a per-play basis in the NFL.

Taylor is having a great year... but how many wins is taylor worth? Theyre 9-7 with him.
coolhandluke121
RealGM
And1: 6,916

Post#282 » by coolhandluke121 » Thu Jan 6, 2022 3:00 pm

neiLz wrote:It's probably because rodgers is blowing everyone away with his efficiency.

1st EPA+CPOE
1st adjusted EPA/play
1st in EPA/play
2nd in CPOE
1st in QBR
1st in passer rating
1st in ANY/A
1st in TD%
1st in INT %

Taylor is having a great year... but how many wins is taylor worth? Theyre 9-7 with him.

This doesn't adequately refute my point because it's almost all comparisons to other top QB's who are playing pretty mediocre football by their standards. I think the Packers would be still be solid with an average QB. I think the Colts would be about 5-11 with an average RB. Also, I don't know how these stats factor in yards after the catch (probably a little) and play-calling acumen (I'm guessing not at all) but Taylor has added a ton of yards that he had no business getting, and for me there's also something intangible about being able to rely on the run game so much instead of always just using the inflationary stats of modern QB's. I think the fact that QB's are always the top 5-ish MVP candidates just goes to show how much easier it is to impact the game from the QB position these days. For every Rodgers, Brady, or Manning, there are always a few random QB's like Stafford or Matt Ryan or any number of other forgettable guys in the mix as well.
Wut we've got here is... faaailure... to communakate.
M-C-G
RealGM
And1: 9,414

Post#283 » by M-C-G » Thu Jan 6, 2022 3:12 pm

coolhandluke121 wrote:
neiLz wrote:It's probably because rodgers is blowing everyone away with his efficiency.

1st EPA+CPOE
1st adjusted EPA/play
1st in EPA/play
2nd in CPOE
1st in QBR
1st in passer rating
1st in ANY/A
1st in TD%
1st in INT %

This doesn't adequately refute my point because it's almost all comparisons to other top QB's who are playing pretty mediocre football by their standards. I think the Packers would be still be solid with an average QB. I think the Colts would be about 5-11 with an average RB. Also, I don't know how these stats factor in yards after the catch (probably a little) and play-calling acumen (I'm guessing not at all) but Taylor has added a ton of yards that he had no business getting, and for me there's also something intangible about being able to rely on the run game so much instead of always just using the inflationary stats of modern QB's. I think the fact that QB's are always the top 5-ish MVP candidates just goes to show how much easier it is to impact the game from the QB position these days. For every Rodgers, Brady, or Manning, there are always a few random QB's like Stafford or Matt Ryan or any number of other forgettable guys in the mix as well.

I think what Derrick Henry was doing before he got hurt kind of hurts JT chances. So as good as Taylor has been there was another RB significantly outplaying earlier. Now I get JT got better and played all season while Henry got hurt but I think for some people that factors in.

In the end even thought they don’t say it, it is a QB award barring something truly historic by a non QB.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
coolhandluke121
RealGM
And1: 6,916

Post#284 » by coolhandluke121 » Thu Jan 6, 2022 4:52 pm

M-C-G wrote:
In the end even thought they don’t say it, it is a QB award barring something truly historic by a non QB.

I realize that's probably not going to change any time soon, if ever, so this will probably be my last post about it. But how strong is the correlation between great QB's and winning in the playoffs? Of course it matters, but teams with much less sensational QB's win their fair share of games in the playoffs against guys like Rodgers and Manning. I just think running games still matter a lot. I realize it's a regular season award, but sometimes it seems there's an element of fool's gold to the gaudy passing numbers. It's like 3's in the NBA; things tighten up against top defenses and all of a sudden you appreciate the value of a great running game more, with the more reliable, low-risk option proving to be very valuable. I'm not arguing that great QB's don't add a ton of yards in the regular season, but rather that the contributions of great RB's might just be less obvious.
Wut we've got here is... faaailure... to communakate.
M-C-G
RealGM

Post#285 » by M-C-G » Thu Jan 6, 2022 5:05 pm

coolhandluke121 wrote:
M-C-G wrote:

I realize that's probably not going to change any time soon, if ever, so this will probably be my last post about it. But how strong is the correlation between great QB's and winning in the playoffs? Of course it matters, but teams with much less sensational QB's win their fair share of games in the playoffs against guys like Rodgers and Manning. I just think running games still matter a lot. I realize it's a regular season award, but sometimes it seems there's an element of fool's gold to the gaudy passing numbers. It's like 3's in the NBA; things tighten up against top defenses and all of a sudden you appreciate the value of a great running game more, with the more reliable, low-risk option proving to be very valuable. I'm not arguing that great QB's don't add a ton of yards in the regular season, but rather that the contributions of great RB's might just be less obvious.

Yeah, I am not really taking a position on it, just recognizing it for what it seems to be. JT putting up almost 2,100 total yards and 20 TD is damn impressive.

Derick Henry was pacing 2338 yards for 16 games (thru the first 7 games) and 23 TD. And both of these are just looking at 16 games.

So it is hard for me to make the argument JT did something enough to differentiate himself (other than the obvious, stayed healthy enough to put those numbers up) to MVP level. And as bad as people think Wentz is, he has put up 3,400 26 TD and 6 INT so far this season. He hasn't been the abysmal version of Wentz we have seen in the past.

I say all this not because I think Rodgers should or shouldn't get the MVP, I just want to reiterate that I think this is a QB award barring something supernatural by a non QB player, for better or worse.
rilamann
RealGM
And1: 13,435

Post#286 » by rilamann » Thu Jan 6, 2022 10:14 pm

Ron Swanson wrote:Right up there with the "Terrell Owens shouldn't be in the Hall of Fame" morons. Dude should have his vote taken away immediately for publicly saying that, and of course, he's from Chicago. What an idiot.

Yeah, you can't have a voter saying a guy is MVP, but then say he's not going to get your vote because you think he's a jerk off the field. This is going to backfire in Hub Arkush's face and it's hilarious. He totally destroyed his credibility as sports analyst and probably helped Rodgers' chances of winning MVP.

Who is going to take anything he says seriously now? And now if Rodgers doesn't win MVP, you're going to have a lot of people looking at the voters sideways because of Hub's comments. Voters who might have been on the fence or might have been leaning more towards Brady might just say **** it and vote Rodgers now so they don't end up in the boat with Hub.

It's hilarious because he didn't have to say anything. He could have just kept his mouth shut about it and not voted for Rodgers because he thinks he's a jerk.
Giannis Antetokounmpo wrote:You're out here reffing like Marc Davis and ****
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,553

Post#287 » by ReasonablySober » Thu Jan 6, 2022 10:57 pm

rilamann wrote:
Ron Swanson wrote:Right up there with the "Terrell Owens shouldn't be in the Hall of Fame" morons. Dude should have his vote taken away immediately for publicly saying that, and of course, he's from Chicago. What an idiot.

Yeah, you can't have a voter saying a guy is MVP, but then say he's not going to get your vote because you think he's a jerk off the field. This is going to backfire in Hub Arkush's face and it's hilarious. He totally destroyed his credibility as sports analyst and probably helped Rodgers' chances of winning MVP.

Who is going to take anything he says seriously now? And now if Rodgers doesn't win MVP, you're going to have a lot of people looking at the voters sideways because of Hub's comments. Voters who might have been on the fence or might have been leaning more towards Brady might just say **** it and vote Rodgers now so they don't end up in the boat with Hub.

It's hilarious because he didn't have to say anything. He could have just kept his mouth shut about it and not voted for Rodgers because he thinks he's a jerk.

Dan Wetzel made that point in a column today in which he argued that sports writers should be voting on any of the awards in sports (don't make the news, cover it) and I honestly hadn't thought of that aspect. Say Brady or Taylor win. Regardless of whether or not they won because Rodgers is an **** and it turned off voters, them winning will still come with that skepticism.
JayMKE
RealGM
And1: 14,914

Post#288 » by JayMKE » Fri Jan 7, 2022 10:16 am

Members of the media voting for these awards is pretty much a joke considering the state of the media particularly sports media today.

Not doing everything possible to retain Rodgers would be very very stupid.
FREE GIANNIS
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 46,297

Post#289 » by MickeyDavis » Fri Jan 7, 2022 7:03 pm

3 years ago today MLF was hired. I was looking at the list of candidates interviewed when he was hired. As an aside, Murphy had Rodgers call and talk to MLF to get his opinion before offering him the job.

Brian Flores
Josh McDaniels
Pete Carmichael
Dan Campbell
Adam Gase
Todd Monken
Jim Caldwell
Chuck Pagano
Joe Philbin
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#290 » by MickeyDavis » Fri Jan 7, 2022 7:07 pm

Read on Twitter
Matches Malone
RealGM
And1: 21,252

Post#291 » by Matches Malone » Mon Jan 10, 2022 8:05 pm

Ugh

Read on Twitter
Gery Woelfel wrote:Got a time big boy?
M-C-G
RealGM

Post#292 » by M-C-G » Mon Jan 10, 2022 9:01 pm

So Bakh and Myers played, Z'darius, Turner and Zaire are practicing with a good chance to play. Getting healthy at just the right time.
RiotPunch
RealGM
And1: 15,461

Post#293 » by RiotPunch » Mon Jan 10, 2022 9:34 pm

I'm sure this boosts Aaron's ego, but I'd like to think that I would be a little turned off by Elway's desperation.
#FreeChuckDiesel
Bucksmaniac wrote:I'm sorry, but I'm starting to sour on Giannis
Treebeard
Head Coach
And1: 1,752

Post#294 » by Treebeard » Mon Jan 10, 2022 10:27 pm

It's too early for this thought, but pffft, I'll toss it out anyway.... Unless the heavens open up, Maurice Drayton, his staff, and a chunk of the special teams incumbents are gone (or should be) real soon after the last game is played - whenever that is. Kick coverage teams alternate between meh and god-awful. Crosby seems to have the permanent yips and the power of his leg seems to be fading. Amari Rogers has been a season long disappointment and the alternatives haven't been overwhelming. Moore may be useful, but that's as far as I'll go.

Also, LaFleur's ire at the defensive letdowns of the last few weeks seems genuine. I don't know how much of that ire is directed back on Barry & staff and how much is coaching theater.
Dennis Reynolds
Lead Assistant
And1: 12,135

Post#295 » by Dennis Reynolds » Mon Jan 10, 2022 11:34 pm

Treebeard wrote:Also, LaFleur's ire at the defensive letdowns of the last few weeks seems genuine. I don't know how much of that ire is directed back on Barry & staff and how much is coaching theater.

I sure hope we go hard after Fangio or some young defensive genius unless a miracle happens and the defense comes up huge throughout the whole playoffs run. I'd still look to move on from Barry for the right guy with defense playing "just" above average even if we end up winning the superbowl.
Matches Malone
RealGM

Post#296 » by Matches Malone » Tue Jan 11, 2022 4:28 pm

Read on Twitter

:roll:

Guessing we'll hear Alex Van Pelt get a call next...
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,553

Post#297 » by ReasonablySober » Tue Jan 11, 2022 5:09 pm

Denver has the #9 overall pick, and two picks in the 2nd (via the Rams). They also have some young talent that would make for interesting targets. They have the cap space to both acquire Rodgers and sign Adams.

If Rodgers decides to move on, that's the obvious team to send him to.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#298 » by MickeyDavis » Tue Jan 11, 2022 6:17 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:Denver has the #9 overall pick, and two picks in the 2nd (via the Rams). They also have some young talent that would make for interesting targets. They have the cap space to both acquire Rodgers and sign Adams.

Yup. Picks + Jeudy (2 years cheap) and Denver signs Adams (yes we can tag him but why would we if we trade Rodgers). They'd have Adams, Sutton, Patrick, Fant.
Matches Malone
RealGM

Post#299 » by Matches Malone » Tue Jan 11, 2022 6:31 pm

Read on Twitter
Matches Malone
RealGM

Post#300 » by Matches Malone » Tue Jan 11, 2022 6:35 pm

MickeyDavis wrote:
ReasonablySober wrote:Denver has the #9 overall pick, and two picks in the 2nd (via the Rams). They also have some young talent that would make for interesting targets. They have the cap space to both acquire Rodgers and sign Adams.

Yup. Picks + Jeudy (2 years cheap) and Denver signs Adams (yes we can tag him but why would we if we trade Rodgers). They'd have Adams, Sutton, Patrick, Fant.

I'd be curious to know how Gute feels on Love's development. If we did move on, I wonder if Gute would take another QB at #9 or wait for a better QB draft class?

Pickett is probably the top guy, Corral has the best arm imo and Malik Willis is intriguing. Ridder, Howell and Strong could be a darkhorses.

Trying not to sour on Love so quickly. He's still got plenty of time to grow, but some of his throwing motions/loose spiral and decision making has me less and less confident. Just have to remember he needs the reps.

Return to Green Bay Packers