Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25, humanrefutation

LikeABosh
RealGM
And1: 8,666

Re: Packers 2022 Offseason Thread - Pre Draft 

Post#61 » by LikeABosh » Fri Apr 15, 2022 7:27 pm

PintSizedBox10 wrote:
skones wrote:
DrWood wrote:So you're saying if all you have is mediocre guys that having more mediocre guys helps significantly? You can't run 6WR sets.
Where did I say we're running 6 WR sets? We won a Superbowl on the back of a bunch of number 2 caliber receivers. Some WR hit, some don't. Cover your ass with cheap bets.
We won the Super Bowl on the back of the best receiving group in the NFL. Holy revisionist history

Sent from my SM-G981U using RealGM mobile app

And Greg Jennings was clearly a number 1. 76/1265/12 season
skones
RealGM
And1: 17,266

Post#62 » by skones » Fri Apr 15, 2022 7:30 pm

PintSizedBox10 wrote:
skones wrote:
DrWood wrote:So you're saying if all you have is mediocre guys that having more mediocre guys helps significantly? You can't run 6WR sets.
Where did I say we're running 6 WR sets? We won a Superbowl on the back of a bunch of number 2 caliber receivers. Some WR hit, some don't. Cover your ass with cheap bets.
We won the Super Bowl on the back of the best receiving group in the NFL. Holy revisionist history

It was a great group because of its depth, not because of its all world top end talent at that juncture.
PintSizedBox10
Head Coach
And1: 3,272

Post#63 » by PintSizedBox10 » Fri Apr 15, 2022 7:44 pm

skones wrote:
PintSizedBox10 wrote:
skones wrote:Where did I say we're running 6 WR sets? We won a Superbowl on the back of a bunch of number 2 caliber receivers. Some WR hit, some don't. Cover your ass with cheap bets.

It was a great group because of its depth, not because of its all world top end talent at that juncture.
Jennings was most definitely elite and Jordy exploded the next season. So I'd definitely say they had top end talent, and depth to boot. Obviously not a prerequisite to winning a super bowl but having an elite target (or two) sure does help. Recent history would back that up

skones
RealGM

Post#64 » by skones » Fri Apr 15, 2022 7:50 pm

PintSizedBox10 wrote:
skones wrote:
PintSizedBox10 wrote:We won the Super Bowl on the back of the best receiving group in the NFL. Holy revisionist history

Jennings was most definitely elite and Jordy exploded the next season. So I'd definitely say they had top end talent, and depth to boot. Obviously not a prerequisite to winning a super bowl but having an elite target (or two) sure does help. Recent history would back that up

Jordy did explode the next season but he had his fair share of struggles the year we won the Super Bowl. They're two completely different players. If you don't want to go with top end talent, elite players is fine. The point is, that season, Driver, Jones, and Jordy were at best number 2 caliber receivers.
M-C-G
RealGM
And1: 9,492

Post#65 » by M-C-G » Fri Apr 15, 2022 9:03 pm

skones wrote:
PintSizedBox10 wrote:
skones wrote:

Jordy did explode the next season but he had his fair share of struggles the year we won the Super Bowl. They're two completely different players. If you don't want to go with top end talent, elite players is fine. The point is, that season, Driver, Jones, and Jordy were at best number 2 caliber receivers.

But Jennings was a legit number 1 and Jordy was clearly ascending to a number 1(which he eclipsed Jennings numbers the very next season). I guess I just reject your argument, don't think it is a very good one.
DrWood
Head Coach
And1: 2,383

Post#66 » by DrWood » Fri Apr 15, 2022 9:06 pm

M-C-G wrote:
DrWood wrote:
M-C-G wrote:Sammy use to be a good kick returner. Wonder if that might be in play here too

Watkins has never returned a kick in the NFL and has only played on 4 (FOUR!) special teams snaps in his career.

Yeah, I should have mentioned in college.

I don't doubt you saw him return a kick well while he was in college. But other than a 89-yard TD return as a freshman, he was pretty mediocre as a returner (20.7 yards per return as a sophomore and junior).
DrWood
Head Coach

Re: Packers 2022 Offseason Thread - Sammy Watkins in on 1YD 

Post#67 » by DrWood » Fri Apr 15, 2022 9:11 pm

Profound23 wrote:How anyone can complain about a contract that is worth "UP TO" 4 mil is beyond me. Sure he hasn't been able to stay healthy, then the contract is like 2 mil and you at least tried.......or he produces/stays healthy and you pay him 4. Low risk, high reward move.

Better than 3/30 for MVS

Is anyone really complaining about the contract? I think the complaints have been that he's not a difference maker, he's just a warm body that won't embarrass you.
They still need two rookie WRs to hit the ground running.

Have there been many top passing offenses where no WR/TE had more than 800 yards?
M-C-G
RealGM

Post#68 » by M-C-G » Fri Apr 15, 2022 9:13 pm

DrWood wrote:
M-C-G wrote:
DrWood wrote:Watkins has never returned a kick in the NFL and has only played on 4 (FOUR!) special teams snaps in his career.

I don't doubt you saw him return a kick well while he was in college. But other than a 89-yard TD return as a freshman, he was pretty mediocre as a returner (20.7 yards per return as a sophomore and junior).

Yeah, I am actually surprised by that given his speed and style of play. Anyway I am all on board with using one of those draft picks to solve the kick returner problem. As far as I am concerned we can use WR5 or RB3 or maybe even CB5 as a guy that can just kick ass in special teams.
DrWood
Head Coach

Post#69 » by DrWood » Fri Apr 15, 2022 9:26 pm

DrWood wrote:
Profound23 wrote:How anyone can complain about a contract that is worth "UP TO" 4 mil is beyond me. Sure he hasn't been able to stay healthy, then the contract is like 2 mil and you at least tried.......or he produces/stays healthy and you pay him 4. Low risk, high reward move.

Better than 3/30 for MVS

Is anyone really complaining about the contract? I think the complaints have been that he's not a difference maker, he's just a warm body that won't embarrass you.

Have there been many top passing offenses where no WR/TE had more than 800 yards?

Added in edit:
I looked at the stats this past season, Among the top 16 teams in passing, #10 AZ didn't have a 1k-yard receiver (Kirk had 982) and #14 NE's top receiver was Myers with 866 (Bourne also had 800).

I'd guess Lazard's ceiling is around 800 yards. Watkins maybe 650. Cobb maybe 600. That's their ceilings. Maybe Tonyan can pick up some of the slack if he's healthy. Or is Aaron Jones going to catch 100 passes?
DrWood
Head Coach

Post#70 » by DrWood » Fri Apr 15, 2022 9:30 pm

M-C-G wrote:
DrWood wrote:
M-C-G wrote:

Yeah, I am actually surprised by that given his speed and style of play. Anyway I am all on board with using one of those draft picks to solve the kick returner problem. As far as I am concerned we can use WR5 or RB3 or maybe even CB5 as a guy that can just kick ass in special teams.

The best kick returner in this draft is probably CB Marcus Jones from Houston. He's an excellent DB who could probably play in some packages as a rookie, but he's only 5'8" and the Pack hasn't liked short CBs for some time. He might be available in the 4th round, but they might need to use their 3rd round pick to get him for sure.
M-C-G
RealGM

Post#71 » by M-C-G » Fri Apr 15, 2022 9:32 pm

DrWood wrote:
M-C-G wrote:
DrWood wrote:I don't doubt you saw him return a kick well while he was in college. But other than a 89-yard TD return as a freshman, he was pretty mediocre as a returner (20.7 yards per return as a sophomore and junior).

The best kick returner in this draft is probably CB Marcus Jones from Houston. He's an excellent DB who could probably play in some packages as a rookie, but he's only 5'8" and the Pack hasn't liked short CBs for some time. He might be available in the 4th round, but they might need to use their 3rd round pick to get him for sure.

Draft him and Velus Jones and prosper on ST.
M-C-G
RealGM

Post#72 » by M-C-G » Fri Apr 15, 2022 9:33 pm

DrWood wrote:
DrWood wrote:

Better than 3/30 for MVS

Added in edit:
I looked at the stats this past season, Among the top 16 teams in passing, #10 AZ didn't have a 1k-yard receiver (Kirk had 982) and #14 NE's top receiver was Myers with 866 (Bourne also had 800).

I'd guess Lazard's ceiling is around 800 yards. Watkins maybe 650. Cobb maybe 600. That's their ceilings. Maybe Tonyan can pick up some of the slack if he's healthy. Or is Aaron Jones going to catch 100 passes?

I think NE last super bowl they didn't have anyone above 900 yards either.
skones
RealGM

Post#73 » by skones » Fri Apr 15, 2022 9:33 pm

M-C-G wrote:[

But Jennings was a legit number 1 and Jordy was clearly ascending to a number 1(which he eclipsed Jennings numbers the very next season). I guess I just reject your argument, don't think it is a very good one.

I reject the notion that Jordy was clearly anything in 2010. You're disqualifying the argument with hindsight instead of looking at 2010 as it was when it was.
LittleRooster
General Manager
And1: 3,121

Post#74 » by LittleRooster » Fri Apr 15, 2022 9:34 pm

Watkins is more of an MVS replacement than an Adams one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DrWood
Head Coach

Post#75 » by DrWood » Fri Apr 15, 2022 9:40 pm

M-C-G wrote:
DrWood wrote:
DrWood wrote:Is anyone really complaining about the contract? I think the complaints have been that he's not a difference maker, he's just a warm body that won't embarrass you.

Added in edit:

I think NE last super bowl they didn't have anyone above 900 yards either.

Edelman had 850. They had 4 guys 682 yards or more.
DrWood
Head Coach

Post#76 » by DrWood » Fri Apr 15, 2022 9:41 pm

LittleRooster wrote:Watkins is more of an MVS replacement than an Adams one

Is he though? Watkins doesn't have elite speed.
M-C-G
RealGM

Post#77 » by M-C-G » Fri Apr 15, 2022 9:55 pm

skones wrote:
M-C-G wrote:[

I reject the notion that Jordy was clearly anything in 2010. You're disqualifying the argument with hindsight instead of looking at 2010 as it was when it was.

I don't know that anyone in 2009-2010 thought Jordy was going to be a Packer hall of famer, but I think there were a lot of people that realized he was pretty good.

All that said, I think your take was bad. Is what it is, you certainly don't have to agree with me.
M-C-G
RealGM

Post#78 » by M-C-G » Fri Apr 15, 2022 9:58 pm

DrWood wrote:

This draft has MVS type guys in it. Watkins is probably nothing more than a fairly decent upgrade over Rodgers/St. Brown/Taylor/Winfree etc. I am curious though if MLF envisions some Ervin snaps out of him. But who knows
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,775

Post#79 » by WeekapaugGroove » Fri Apr 15, 2022 10:28 pm

DrWood wrote:
WeekapaugGroove wrote:This feels like the insurance signing if the WR they draft early needs a little time.

Sent from my SM-G986U using RealGM mobile app

very few rookie WRs can step right in and be a #1 receiver.
Watkins is, when he's healthy, a #3-#4 receiver.
I don't think the pack will have a number 1 WR this year, it will be a committee approach. Heck it wouldn't surprise me if Aaron Jones ended up leading the team in receptions.

I just view Sammy as a guy who can give you competition and some snaps if the rookie(s) you draft aren't ready. Kind of like the King signing last year for the CB room.

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,775

Post#80 » by WeekapaugGroove » Fri Apr 15, 2022 10:34 pm

M-C-G wrote:
DrWood wrote:

This draft has MVS type guys in it. Watkins is probably nothing more than a fairly decent upgrade over Rodgers/St. Brown/Taylor/Winfree etc. I am curious though if MLF envisions some Ervin snaps out of him. But who knows
I would love to know why Aaron Jones didn't get more touches in the jet sweep game last year. He seems like the perfect guy for that and I like looks that get both him and Dillion on the field.

I don't know why the Pack seemed to go away from motion in general last season.

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.

Return to Green Bay Packers