ImageImage

ATL: Off Season - AB Fined/Suspended by Raiders

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25, humanrefutation

MartyConlonOnTheRun
RealGM
And1: 11,205

Re: ATL: Off Season - Clowney Headed to Seahawks 

Post#741 » by MartyConlonOnTheRun » Thu Sep 5, 2019 8:39 pm

humanrefutation wrote:Mayock seems like a dick, so I wouldn't be surprised to hear that this is on him to some degree. I also think it's a bit pathetic that Gruden isn't dealing with this himself and is instead letting Mayock play bad cop.

I don't know all of the circumstances that led to these fines. I was fine with AB's decision to challenge the helmet issue - it's his tool of the trade, so any discomfort with its design is something worth dealing with. I'm inclined to give him the benefit of the doubt on something like that because no one can question how hard he's worked to get where he is today - from a homeless kid living in Miami, to Central Michigan, to a 6th round pick, to the best WR in the NFL.

The foot issue seems like a really **** stupid mistake, but obviously wasn't purposeful.

While AB absolutely needs to own his part in these disputes, the truth is that no one will pay much attention to these things once he suits up and puts up another monster season.

This seems like some Larry Sanders-level rationalization. This isn't partially on AB, it is like 90% on AB. Despite the talent, there's a reason teams didn't want to touch him and that the Raiders are even considering cutting him. It's just constant patterns of doing stupid stuff in a self-centered way that distracts from the team (Even something as minor as the Facebook live in the locker room). If it was one or 2 things, fine. But it seems like every few weeks there is something going on with him. A normal human being who was just traded to a team would come and try to build a bond with the QB, coach, GM and whoever. Instead he's gone out of his way to be a distraction. Maybe he is worth the distraction, but I'm guessing Big Ben/Tomlin are glad he isn't their problem anymore.
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,687

Post#742 » by WeekapaugGroove » Thu Sep 5, 2019 8:59 pm

PintSizedBox10 wrote:
WeekapaugGroove wrote:
ReasonablySober wrote:
Read on Twitter
Example number 99999 to all the posters who want these dudes with redflags. **** always seems to go bad.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using RealGM mobile app

Example 9999? Name just 5 that are similar
Ronlado McClain, polite, Ruben Foster, Randy Gregory

That's just off the top of my head of guys who had red flags and proved that we should trust the red flags when they come up.

My theory is tons of guys are hard to deal with in the NFL but most of it's kept in-house. When you actually hear about issues it's just the tip of the iceberg with far bigger issues under the surface.

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 14,367

Post#743 » by humanrefutation » Thu Sep 5, 2019 9:06 pm

MartyConlonOnTheRun wrote:
humanrefutation wrote:Mayock seems like a dick, so I wouldn't be surprised to hear that this is on him to some degree. I also think it's a bit pathetic that Gruden isn't dealing with this himself and is instead letting Mayock play bad cop.

I don't know all of the circumstances that led to these fines. I was fine with AB's decision to challenge the helmet issue - it's his tool of the trade, so any discomfort with its design is something worth dealing with. I'm inclined to give him the benefit of the doubt on something like that because no one can question how hard he's worked to get where he is today - from a homeless kid living in Miami, to Central Michigan, to a 6th round pick, to the best WR in the NFL.

The foot issue seems like a really **** stupid mistake, but obviously wasn't purposeful.

While AB absolutely needs to own his part in these disputes, the truth is that no one will pay much attention to these things once he suits up and puts up another monster season.

This seems like some Larry Sanders-level rationalization. This isn't partially on AB, it is like 90% on AB. Despite the talent, there's a reason teams didn't want to touch him and that the Raiders are even considering cutting him. It's just constant patterns of doing stupid stuff in a self-centered way that distracts from the team (Even something as minor as the Facebook live in the locker room). If it was one or 2 things, fine. But it seems like every few weeks there is something going on with him. A normal human being who was just traded to a team would come and try to build a bond with the QB, coach, GM and whoever. Instead he's gone out of his way to be a distraction. Maybe he is worth the distraction, but I'm guessing Big Ben/Tomlin are glad he isn't their problem anymore.

You're making a lot of leaps here. Your characterization of my take as a "Larry Sanders-level rationalization" doesn't at all reflect anything I said in that post. It seems to me that because I'm not just BURYING Brown, you think I'm not holding him accountable for any of the issues in Oakland. That doesn't reflect my perspective at all. Perhaps re-read what I wrote?

And, by the way, it's funny that you're citing Big Ben the rapist. It's funny the ways in which we parse who deserves the label of "off-field distraction", "not a normal human" and absurd comparisons to Larry Sanders versus who we are willing to give a pass. The Steelers chased off the best RB in the game and the best WR in the game for basically nothing, and are left with an aging QB with limited weapons around him. Perhaps you could step back for a moment and wonder why talented players have fled opportunities to play with them...and what that says about their culture and their ability to manage their talent and their locker room. Even your boy Ben admits himself that he mishandled AB last year.
MAC1987
Starter
And1: 526

Post#744 » by MAC1987 » Thu Sep 5, 2019 9:09 pm

The way he handled the helmet situation was totally wrong. He acted like a child.

His vision was impacted? The NFL lawsuit was billions because they neglected head injuries in football. 1 way to improve head injuries is requiring safe helmets that are approved and not 10 years old.

Is he wrong to bring up the vision issue with his helmet? Absolutely not, but act like a grown adult and from what occured the last 24 hours (last few years....) AB has issues that he needs to resolve personally.

Sent from my SM-G935V using RealGM mobile app
th87
RealGM
And1: 9,994

Post#745 » by th87 » Thu Sep 5, 2019 9:15 pm

WeekapaugGroove wrote:
PintSizedBox10 wrote:
WeekapaugGroove wrote:Example number 99999 to all the posters who want these dudes with redflags. **** always seems to go bad.

That's just off the top of my head of guys who had red flags and proved that we should trust the red flags when they come up.

My theory is tons of guys are hard to deal with in the NFL but most of it's kept in-house. When you actually hear about issues it's just the tip of the iceberg with far bigger issues under the surface.

Moss, Randy.

These types of moves work if the acquiring team (but not the originating team) has a strong culture in place and has an alpha who is a bigger name than the acquired player.

Saints, Patriots, and maybe the Packers should inquire.
humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#746 » by humanrefutation » Thu Sep 5, 2019 9:18 pm

MAC1987 wrote:

The way he handled the helmet situation was totally wrong. He acted like a child.

His vision was impacted? The NFL lawsuit was billions because they neglected head injuries in football. 1 way to improve head injuries is requiring safe helmets that are approved and not 10 years old.

Is he wrong to bring up the vision issue with his helmet? Absolutely not, but act like a grown adult and from what occured the last 24 hours (last few years....) AB has issues that he needs to resolve personally.

Sent from my SM-G935V using RealGM mobile app

I understand the alleged reasons by the NFL for their helmet policy- though I think we exaggerate the role of helmets in reducing concussions (I've seen experts arguing that helmets increase concussions because players are more likely to use them to batter their opponents). But you shouldn't underplay the alleged vision impacts - his ability to see people out his peripheral vision enables him to avoid bad hits, which is MUCH MUCH more important in reducing risks of concussions. Plus, it was the same helmet he had worn for a decade+ IIRC. Adjusting to a new one is always going to be an uncomfortable experience, so I get that from his POV.

I do think that if you're going to criticize him for this, it should be for not figuring this out before TC. Not sure on the timeline as to when they rolled out this new rule, but if it was a while ago, this should have been sorted out before he showed up. And...you know...WEAR FOOT PROTECTION WHEN YOU GO INTO A DAMN CRYOGENIC THERAPY CHAMBER!
humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#747 » by humanrefutation » Thu Sep 5, 2019 9:23 pm

th87 wrote:
WeekapaugGroove wrote:
PintSizedBox10 wrote:

Moss, Randy.

These types of moves work if the acquiring team (but not the originating team) has a strong culture in place and has an alpha who is a bigger name than the acquired player.

Marshawn Lynch. Terrell Owens.
Ron Swanson
RealGM
And1: 24,368

Re: ATL: Off Season - AB Fined/Suspended by Raiders 

Post#748 » by Ron Swanson » Thu Sep 5, 2019 9:30 pm

AB isn't a Randy Moss level talent though. Said it before and I'll say it again, maybe I'd put up with this kind of stuff and pay the man what he's owed if he was prime Moss or Calvin Johnson, but the decline with small, shifty wideouts like AB is often sudden and drastic. He's 31 going on 32. It's gonna happen much sooner than people think, and I honestly wouldn't be surprised if he's already lost a step. Even if he weren't a certified ass-hat, I'm not sure he's worth that kind of investment anyways.
MartyConlonOnTheRun
RealGM
And1: 11,205

Post#749 » by MartyConlonOnTheRun » Thu Sep 5, 2019 10:01 pm

humanrefutation wrote:
MartyConlonOnTheRun wrote:

You're making a lot of leaps here. Your characterization of my take as a "Larry Sanders-level rationalization" doesn't at all reflect anything I said in that post. It seems to me that because I'm not just BURYING Brown, you think I'm not holding him accountable for any of the issues in Oakland. That doesn't reflect my perspective at all. Perhaps re-read what I wrote?

And, by the way, it's funny that you're citing Big Ben the rapist. It's funny the ways in which we parse who deserves the label of "off-field distraction", "not a normal human" and absurd comparisons to Larry Sanders versus who we are willing to give a pass. The Steelers chased off the best RB in the game and the best WR in the game for basically nothing, and are left with an aging QB with limited weapons around him. Perhaps you could step back for a moment and wonder why talented players have fled opportunities to play with them...and what that says about their culture and their ability to manage their talent and their locker room. Even your boy Ben admits himself that he mishandled AB last year.

Good point on Big Ben.
Turk Nowitzki
RealGM
And1: 10,010

Post#750 » by Turk Nowitzki » Thu Sep 5, 2019 10:03 pm

Ron Swanson wrote:AB isn't a Randy Moss level talent though. Said it before and I'll say it again, maybe I'd put up with this kind of stuff and pay the man what he's owed if he was prime Moss or Calvin Johnson, but the decline with small, shifty wideouts like AB is often sudden and drastic. He's 31 going on 32. It's gonna happen much sooner than people think, and I honestly wouldn't be surprised if he's already lost a step. Even if he weren't a certified ass-hat, I'm not sure he's worth that kind of investment anyways.

Of course he doesn't have the same body type as those guys but I'm not sure how you can say he doesn't have that talent level. He's been absolutely incredible for like 6 straight years, which also goes to show how much of a pain in the ass he must've been to want to get rid of him.
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM

Post#751 » by WeekapaugGroove » Thu Sep 5, 2019 10:04 pm

th87 wrote:
WeekapaugGroove wrote:
PintSizedBox10 wrote:

Moss, Randy.

Not sure the pack really apply especially with a new coach. Hell the old established regime couldn't make it work with Bennett who's really more goofy than bad or Randall who's immature.

My overall point is the majority of the time when dudes give signs they will be a pain in the ass you should believe them.

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
MikeIsGood
RealGM
And1: 9,859

Post#752 » by MikeIsGood » Thu Sep 5, 2019 10:35 pm

Turk Nowitzki wrote:
Ron Swanson wrote:AB isn't a Randy Moss level talent though. Said it before and I'll say it again, maybe I'd put up with this kind of stuff and pay the man what he's owed if he was prime Moss or Calvin Johnson, but the decline with small, shifty wideouts like AB is often sudden and drastic. He's 31 going on 32. It's gonna happen much sooner than people think, and I honestly wouldn't be surprised if he's already lost a step. Even if he weren't a certified ass-hat, I'm not sure he's worth that kind of investment anyways.

Of course he doesn't have the same body type as those guys but I'm not sure how you can say he doesn't have that talent level. He's been absolutely incredible for like 6 straight years, which also goes to show how much of a pain in the ass he must've been to want to get rid of him.

Completely agree and truly don't see how it's even remotely debatable.
Ron Swanson
RealGM
And1: 24,368

Post#753 » by Ron Swanson » Thu Sep 5, 2019 10:48 pm

That Antonio Brown isn't in the same talent class as arguably the two most talented receivers ever seems like a pretty defensible take to me. Stats be damned.
PintSizedBox10
Head Coach
And1: 3,240

Post#754 » by PintSizedBox10 » Thu Sep 5, 2019 10:49 pm

Randy Gregory and polite? Ehhh those are big stretches. Neither did crap in the NFL to even take a risk on. I easily would have taken Lynch and Moss. And according to reports the Packers tried to obtain both. Proven players that come with baggage can be worth it.

Woodson wasn’t sought after due to his attitude and the risk paid off.
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM

Post#755 » by WeekapaugGroove » Thu Sep 5, 2019 11:13 pm

PintSizedBox10 wrote:Randy Gregory and polite? Ehhh those are big stretches. Neither did crap in the NFL to even take a risk on. I easily would have taken Lynch and Moss. And according to reports the Packers tried to obtain both. Proven players that come with baggage can be worth it.

Woodson wasn’t sought after due to his attitude and the risk paid off.
My point was when red flags are brought up either pre draft or when they are in the league eventually the **** usually goes bad.

Sometimes it works out for a while but usually it runs its course.

ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,539

Post#756 » by ReasonablySober » Thu Sep 5, 2019 11:28 pm

We're not talking enough about how incredibly dumb you have to be to rack up 100k in fines as a 3rd rounder before you ever play a down.
PintSizedBox10
Head Coach
And1: 3,240

Post#757 » by PintSizedBox10 » Thu Sep 5, 2019 11:39 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:We're not talking enough about how incredibly dumb you have to be to rack up 100k in fines as a 3rd rounder before you ever play a down.

His signing bonus should take care of that.

But yea the guy must be a world class dummy
Kerb Hohl
RealGM
And1: 4,193
Location: Hmmmm...how many 1sts would Jason Richardson cost...?

Post#758 » by Kerb Hohl » Fri Sep 6, 2019 6:02 pm

Brown now will play.
Iheartfootball
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,179

Post#759 » by Iheartfootball » Fri Sep 6, 2019 6:10 pm

Kerb Hohl wrote:Brown now will play.

He sounds emotionally unstable. I hope he uses this incident to get some help.

Return to Green Bay Packers