ImageImage

2016 Badger Football

Moderators: paulpressey25, MickeyDavis, humanrefutation

Kerb Hohl
RealGM
And1: 4,155
Location: Hmmmm...how many 1sts would Jason Richardson cost...?

2016 Badger Football 

Post#1 » by Kerb Hohl » Thu Dec 31, 2015 5:29 pm

Going to be an interesting year. Solid offense, loaded front 7, very tough schedule.
Turk Nowitzki
RealGM
And1: 9,821

Re: 2016 Badger Football 

Post#2 » by Turk Nowitzki » Thu Dec 31, 2015 7:15 pm

QB play is obviously the big question mark but I think there's a decent chance that we could have a better team and finish with a worse record next season.
Bernman
RealGM
And1: 5,473

Post#3 » by Bernman » Thu Dec 31, 2015 7:32 pm

Turk Nowitzki wrote:QB play is obviously the big question mark but I think there's a decent chance that we could have a better team and finish with a worse record next season.

We should get more breaks than this year. Were robbed in the Northwestern game and the loss to Iowa was fluky. Needed a comeback vs. Nebraska, but we earned that, and were shooting ourselves in the foot after moving the ball earlier. Were really doing that against USC too, and of course the call. Should win another game on luck factor to somewhat even out the schedule differential. Maybe not completely, but the talent improvement can take care of the rest. All comes down to if there is a decent qb under center again I think.
"TRADE GIANNIS" - Magic Giannison
Kerb Hohl
RealGM

Post#4 » by Kerb Hohl » Thu Dec 31, 2015 7:41 pm

I think we'll be slight underdogs in 5, maybe 6 games even with a top 15 team. Hoping for some luck.
MartyConlonOnTheRun
RealGM
And1: 10,833

Post#5 » by MartyConlonOnTheRun » Thu Dec 31, 2015 8:11 pm

I'm thinking 9 wins is very realistic. Even if we lose 4 of Iowa, LSU, Michigan, MSU, and OSU, we will be in a crappy bowl game for a 9th win.
trwi7
RealGM
And1: 26,315

Post#6 » by trwi7 » Thu Dec 31, 2015 8:31 pm

Can we just make Aranda associate head coach and give him a raise? Want him in Madison as long as possible and after that I want him in Green Bay. :lol:

I could see us going 2-4 to start the season and then winning out. Northwestern and Iowa aren't going to be nearly as good next year and we should've beaten them both this year. Granted these are on the road and not at home but still.

I'd be satisfied with an 8-4 type season and a Alamo or Holiday Bowl game.

That 2017 schedule looks pretty good though. @BYU, @ Nebraska, vs Michigan are probably the 3 toughest games.
stellation wrote:What's the difference between Gery Woelful and this glass of mineral water? The mineral water actually has a source."

I Hate Manure wrote:We look to be awful next season without Beasley.
DH34Phan
Lead Assistant
And1: 113

Post#7 » by DH34Phan » Fri Jan 1, 2016 7:19 am

Bart Houston is going to snap and lead us to 10 wins. We'll be kicking ourselves for not giving him a chance earlier in his career.
midranger
RealGM
And1: 9,940

Post#8 » by midranger » Fri Jan 1, 2016 2:35 pm

Need safeties. I'm hoping a couple LBs can transition. Brookins would make sense. Jacobs runs well, but not sure about instincts. Serge Trezy won't play running back here, maybe he could go to safety. Hell, maybe even Cichy could play SS just to get as many really good football players on the field as possible.
Please reconsider your animal consumption.
LittleRooster
General Manager
And1: 3,110

Post#9 » by LittleRooster » Fri Jan 1, 2016 8:36 pm

trwi7 wrote:Can we just make Aranda associate head coach and give him a raise? Want him in Madison as long as possible and after that I want him in Green Bay. :lol:

I could see us going 2-4 to start the season and then winning out. Northwestern and Iowa aren't going to be nearly as good next year and we should've beaten them both this year. Granted these are on the road and not at home but still.

I'd be satisfied with an 8-4 type season and a Alamo or Holiday Bowl game.

That 2017 schedule looks pretty good though. @BYU, @ Nebraska, vs Michigan are probably the 3 toughest games.

I'd love him in GB. He's a rising star and I badly wanted Wisconsin to hire him as head coach over Chryst
mufan4life
Sophomore
And1: 7

Post#10 » by mufan4life » Fri Jan 1, 2016 11:18 pm

I think we will have a better team next year, but it won't lead to better results when it comes to W-L record. This past years schedule was a joke, as we all know. Next year much more difficult as we play LSU, then 4 straight games against MSU, Michigan, Ohio St, and Iowa. 3 of those on the road. 8-9 wins next year max. Hope I'm wrong, but we shall see.
Bernman
RealGM

Post#11 » by Bernman » Fri Jan 1, 2016 11:35 pm

8-9 wins max? That's in no way too as a realistic peak potential.

You say next year's is much more difficult because we play LSU? We played Bama close to their home this year. They're probably faves to win the national championship. We'll play a worse team in Wisconsin next year. And we should have beaten them near their home in '14. Dare I say we would have if Anderson wasn't experimenting with the running qb he preferred.

Yeah, that's a tough 4 game stretch. But we're seeing MSU and Iowa have an over-inflated rep. Same thing with N'Western. Should have beaten N'Western and Iowa this year. We should get more breaks.

We have Illinois, Nebraska, Purdue, Minnesota, Akron, and Georgia St. next year. That's practically 6 guaranteed wins right there. We couldn't then win more than 2-3 between @ N'Western, LSU, @ Iowa, @ MSU, @ Mich, OSU, bowl game, (B1G championship)? No better is possible than 2-5 (2-6) or 3-4 (3-5) in that stretch? Of course it is. That's super pessimistic to say otherwise. We've had these teams on the schedule in the past many times when we won 10-12 games. Just going to come down to if the o-line returns to norm levels and if the QB replacement is sufficient enough to win games with too like Stave. If so, we should win 10 or more again.
mufan4life
Sophomore
And1: 7

Post#12 » by mufan4life » Sat Jan 2, 2016 12:09 am

Bernman wrote:8-9 wins max? That's in no way too as a realistic peak potential.

You say next year's is much more difficult because we play LSU? We played Bama close to their home this year. They're probably faves to win the national championship. We'll play a worse team in Wisconsin next year. And we should have beaten them near their home in '14. Dare I say we would have if Anderson wasn't experimenting with the running qb he preferred.

Yeah, that's a tough 4 game stretch. But we're seeing MSU and Iowa have an over-inflated rep. Same thing with N'Western. Should have beaten N'Western and Iowa this year. We should get more breaks.

We have Illinois, Nebraska, Purdue, Minnesota, Akron, and Georgia St. next year. That's practically 6 guaranteed wins right there. We couldn't then win more than 2-3 between @ N'Western, LSU, @ Iowa, @ MSU, @ Mich, OSU, bowl game, (B1G championship)? No better is possible than 2-5 (2-6) or 3-4 (3-5) in that stretch? Of course it is. That's super pessimistic to say otherwise. We've had these teams on the schedule in the past many times when we won 10-12 games. Just going to come down to if the o-line returns to norm levels and if the QB replacement is sufficient enough to win games with too like Stave. If so, we should win 10 or more again.

Thats why they play the game. Hope your right, but face it we are all bias toward the Badgers. Who knows who the QB will be and will they be better/worse than Stave. With Erickson most likely gone, who do we have at receiver? Wheelwright and Peavy and who else? Secondary will be pretty weak with loss of Caputo and McEvoy. As I said, we shall see how it all plays out.
Bernman
RealGM

Post#13 » by Bernman » Sat Jan 2, 2016 12:22 am

mufan4life wrote:Thats why they play the game. Hope your right, but face it we are all bias toward the Badgers. Who knows who the QB will be and will they be better/worse than Stave. With Erickson most likely gone, who do we have at receiver? Wheelwright and Peavy and who else? Secondary will be pretty weak with loss of Caputo and McEvoy. As I said, we shall see how it all plays out.

I'm not immune from a little bias, but I'm typically in the group of more pragmatic fans.

I acknowledged the qb is the key. Stave didn't set some sort of super difficult standard to meet, but at the same time he was far superior to many guys we've had recently, i.e.: DOB, Sherer, Evridge, Phillips, McEvoy, etc. He was in the Stocco and Sorgi tier I'd say. We'll find out if Houston/Hornibrook/Gillins? are in the latter tier, former tier, or above. It's the obvious x-factor. You even have some deluded type Badgers' fans claiming the next guy can't be worse than Stave, which shows zero perspective, but there are plenty out there.

I'm not really that worried about wide receiver. Peavy has developed pretty nicely, and supposedly Sanders and Rushing are making strides. We were wondering the same thing going into this year. I think Chryst's routes put them in better positions to succeed than when we had black holes under Ludwig. And the options would get a boost if there's actually a deep threat now unlike the last 2 years. The offense was pretty congested, like the Packers' is now. That would help the running game too if we had a deep threat, beyond the o-line.

8-9 wins is maybe the median projection. It's not some sort of realistic peak, surely. I don't even think your average rival fan would claim that with the respect they have for the consistency of the Badgers' program and how they fared in the bowl game. I think you're putting other good programs in and out of the B1G on a pedestal, like they should be big favorites over us. Only one that deserves it is OSU. We're only a few years removed from 3 straight BTT's/Rose Bowls, and we're back to having a coach who gets it for the most part. Year two of the transition. Year one was a success in context.
Kerb Hohl
RealGM

Post#14 » by Kerb Hohl » Sat Jan 2, 2016 3:24 am

Aranda to LSU
PkrsBcksGphsMqt
RealGM
And1: 1,417

Post#15 » by PkrsBcksGphsMqt » Sat Jan 2, 2016 3:25 am

Wow, first game of the season will be interesting...
BucksRuleAll22 wrote:Calvin Johnson is horrible and not a top WR.
LittleRooster
General Manager
And1: 3,110

Post#16 » by LittleRooster » Sat Jan 2, 2016 3:31 am

Kerb Hohl wrote:Aranda to LSU

******* Barry, pay the damn man. HUGE loss
Sky Bucks
Sixth Man
And1: 1,357

Post#17 » by Sky Bucks » Sat Jan 2, 2016 3:44 am

We need to pay our assistants if we want to get anywhere, damn.
#Make'em Believe On Wisconsin
bigkurty
General Manager
And1: 1,511

Post#18 » by bigkurty » Sat Jan 2, 2016 3:46 am

This is ridiculous. Why the hell are we so cheap? It can't be that we don't have the money right?
trwi7
RealGM
And1: 26,315

Post#19 » by trwi7 » Sat Jan 2, 2016 4:16 am

No shock. Potrykus had an article a few days ago when USC was rumored to be interested that their D-coordinator made 300K more than Aranda but that Barry wasn't worried about him leaving because he was "paid fairly" and that his wife and kids liked it here.

He had no ties here, so he was obviously going to leave for a raise or a higher profile job.
stellation wrote:What's the difference between Gery Woelful and this glass of mineral water? The mineral water actually has a source."

I Hate Manure wrote:We look to be awful next season without Beasley.
midranger
RealGM
And1: 9,940

Post#20 » by midranger » Sat Jan 2, 2016 4:20 am

trwi7 wrote:No shock. Potrykus had an article a few days ago when USC was rumored to be interested that their D-coordinator made 300K more than Aranda but that Barry wasn't worried about him leaving because he was "paid fairly" and that his wife and kids liked it here.

He had no ties here, so he was obviously going to leave for a raise or a higher profile job.

Potrykus sucks. That article was just him polishing Barry's knob. That interview should have ended 10 seconds into it with Potrykus laughing so hard he was crying.
Please reconsider your animal consumption.

Return to Green Bay Packers