ImageImage

2016 Badger Football

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25, humanrefutation

Kerb Hohl
RealGM
And1: 4,172
Location: Hmmmm...how many 1sts would Jason Richardson cost...?

Re: 2016 Badger Football 

Post#21 » by Kerb Hohl » Sat Jan 2, 2016 4:26 am

Aranda is probably going to get a million dollar raise.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 45,590

Post#22 » by MickeyDavis » Sat Jan 2, 2016 4:29 am

It will be interesting to see what LSU is paying him. They paid Steele about the same as what we paid Aranda this season.
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
Kerb Hohl
RealGM

2016 Badger Football 

Post#23 » by Kerb Hohl » Sat Jan 2, 2016 4:58 am

MickeyDavis wrote:It will be interesting to see what LSU is paying him. They paid Steele about the same as what we paid Aranda this season.

I had read that they were recently paying an assistant about 1.1 million. I think he'll be up there.

Edit: Steele was almost at 1.1 million. Aranda was at 500k.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 45,590

Post#24 » by MickeyDavis » Sat Jan 2, 2016 5:09 am

I misread Steeles 2 year deal as $1 million total rather than $1 million per.
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
DH34Phan
Lead Assistant
And1: 113

Post#25 » by DH34Phan » Sat Jan 2, 2016 5:27 am

Aranda has to be salivating over the caliber of recruits he will be getting at LSU as compared to Wisconsin. He was kind of under the radar here, now he is in the limelight.

I wonder if he could get elevated to head coach if next year is Les Miles' last, or he is fired during the season.
Mags FTW
RealGM
And1: 7,329

Post#26 » by Mags FTW » Sat Jan 2, 2016 3:21 pm

Time to get rid of Barry.
MartyConlonOnTheRun
RealGM
And1: 11,040

Post#27 » by MartyConlonOnTheRun » Sat Jan 2, 2016 5:53 pm

Did Alvarez end up accepting the 217k when he coached the bowl game when Bielema left? (Same question for when Andersen left) imagine being an underpaid defensive coordinator watching the AD come in as a figure head getting paid half of what you get paid for a year to 'coach' one bowl game while you do the extra work. I bet that pissed a lot of coaches off.
Kerb Hohl
RealGM

Post#28 » by Kerb Hohl » Sat Jan 2, 2016 5:54 pm

Mags FTW wrote:Time to get rid of Barry.

Why? Because he won't pay/doesn't have SEC money like everyone else in the B10?

The casual fan takes are hilarious on this. Dude was at 500k because he was hired as a very young, promising coordinator. He explodes and everyone offers big $ and now it's Barry's fault that he wouldn't give a million dollar raise to a guy that would leave in another year anyways? I'm sure Barry gave him the best offer they could.
MartyConlonOnTheRun
RealGM
And1: 11,040

Post#29 » by MartyConlonOnTheRun » Sat Jan 2, 2016 6:13 pm

Kerb Hohl wrote:

The casual fan takes are hilarious on this. Dude was at 500k because he was hired as a very young, promising coordinator. He explodes and everyone offers big $ and now it's Barry's fault that he wouldn't give a million dollar raise to a guy that would leave in another year anyways? I'm sure Barry gave him the best offer they could.

I kind of wonder what they offered. It's his third year and he's proven a ton. If they said here's 800k and the associate head coach title and he still left, there is really nothing we could have done. That said I heard coordinators at Carthage college make 100k from a friend (I could be wrong) 500k just seems low for a top 40 program even if he was young. I love how bamas strength coach got 600k.

He was gone either way but something doesn't seem right with how we lose assistants. How do we compare with the rest of the big ten?

Also not a big fan of Alvarez at ad. Too much ego and seems to fall into the whole "oh he's a great player so he would make a great coach" fallacy.
humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 14,101

Post#30 » by humanrefutation » Sat Jan 2, 2016 7:52 pm

I'm annoyed he left for another DC job, but I don't blame him. It's a huge raise and a higher profile. Frankly, though, I don't know if I would have taken the LSU job as Miles is still a bit of a lame duck there and I don't think they'll just hand the job over to Aranda if they can Miles next year.
dogswithbeesintheirmouths
Head Coach
And1: 1,985

Post#31 » by dogswithbeesintheirmouths » Sat Jan 2, 2016 8:11 pm

Aranda came to Wisconsin to move up the ladder and he left for the same reason. I don't see how he would have stayed more than another year while getting buzz for a head coaching job anyway. He did a really good job and it sucks to lose him but let's be honest, not having OSU, MSU, or Michigan on the schedule helps make Aranda look a lot better than he did a year ago.
Bernman
RealGM
And1: 5,511

Post#32 » by Bernman » Sat Jan 2, 2016 8:17 pm

This is definitely a blow. I loved his scheme where he wouldn't blitz much, instead he'd just disguise where the pressure was coming from, while having a couple players drop off into the passing lanes. I hope we bring somebody in with that same strategy.

Any suggestions for realistic replacements so far? Whoever it is, they should commit to being around a few years at least. The instability is killing us, and that's theoretically something that Chryst has helped us with from the head coaching position. I don't think he's going anywhere for a while, if ever, provided he's successful. That's what the built-in tie will buy you, in addition to effectiveness a good percentage of the time.

As far as knowing who to blame here, I'd say it's dependent upon how much raise he actually got. If LSU offered say 800k, and UW gave him a boost to say 650-700k, I think he should have stayed due to loyalty to players and coaches, his own social stability, and to see out his plan he has been putting together for a while. Obviously he'll have a good amount of talent at LSU, but he'll have to start anew in fitting them into his system and having them learn it. He could have waited for a better spot to move in that case. But if UW was stubbornly holding at his previous salary or gave him a tiny raise, then I completely understand why he'd move, because it's a major pay differential and it would be a sign of disrespect. I don't know if it would be Barry's fault still though because he has a budget. Then it would be on the lack of passion of boosters relative to the SEC or UW fiscal conservatism.
"TRADE GIANNIS" - Magic Giannison
Mags FTW
RealGM
And1: 7,329

Post#33 » by Mags FTW » Sat Jan 2, 2016 8:28 pm

Kerb Hohl wrote:

The casual fan takes are hilarious on this.

What about GA leaving right away for WSU? Not that I liked the guy, but now there is the Bo Ryan fiasco too. Just a lot of drama the last couple of years.
Bernman
RealGM
And1: 5,511

Post#34 » by Bernman » Sat Jan 2, 2016 8:36 pm

Mags FTW wrote:
Kerb Hohl wrote:

What about GA leaving right away for WSU? Not that I liked the guy, but now there is the Bo Ryan fiasco too. Just a lot of drama the last couple of years.

The Bo Ryan fiasco is on Bo if anybody. Bo wanted to strong-arm Gard into the position. I think Barry was looking out for the program instead of signing him to a 4-year contract worth a couple million per year or whatever. That would have been harder to get out of if the experiment failed. This way it's only a half year's investment, and then if it doesn't work out he can move on to trying for Tony Bennett and Gregg Marshall.

As far as GA leaving, I don't think Barry has much control over admission standards (same thing with budget). Although you can blame him for hiring GA in the first place. But he seemingly fixed it by replacing him with Chryst, and overall you'd have to say hirings have been a positive (Ryan, Bielema, GA, Chryst), which is the #1 thing we know he is in control of.
"TRADE GIANNIS" - Magic Giannison
Turk Nowitzki
RealGM
And1: 9,942

Post#35 » by Turk Nowitzki » Sun Jan 3, 2016 12:03 am

UW was never matching this in a million years, best of luck in the SEC Mr. Aranda.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/BruceFeldmanCFB/status/683433084524478464[/tweet]
Turk Nowitzki
RealGM
And1: 9,942

Post#36 » by Turk Nowitzki » Sun Jan 3, 2016 12:06 am

[tweet]https://twitter.com/ZachHeilprin/status/683436971549577216[/tweet]
Kerb Hohl
RealGM

Post#37 » by Kerb Hohl » Sun Jan 3, 2016 2:37 am

Mags FTW wrote:
Kerb Hohl wrote:

GA left on his own accord. We've had a bunch of Rose Bowl and Final 4 appearances. What else are you concerned about? Barry may have inherited Bo, but Wisconsin continuously hires good coaches right after other good ones leave.
Kerb Hohl
RealGM

Post#38 » by Kerb Hohl » Sun Jan 3, 2016 2:40 am

And yes, there you go. Not a chance in hell UW could match that. Everyone's always looking for a finger to point.
xTitan
RealGM
And1: 2,283

Post#39 » by xTitan » Sun Jan 3, 2016 3:38 am

Bernman wrote:This is definitely a blow. I loved his scheme where he wouldn't blitz much, instead he'd just disguise where the pressure was coming from, while having a couple players drop off into the passing lanes. I hope we bring somebody in with that same strategy.

Any suggestions for realistic replacements so far? Whoever it is, they should commit to being around a few years at least. The instability is killing us, and that's theoretically something that Chryst has helped us with from the head coaching position. I don't think he's going anywhere for a while, if ever, provided he's successful. That's what the built-in tie will buy you, in addition to effectiveness a good percentage of the time.

As far as knowing who to blame here, I'd say it's dependent upon how much raise he actually got. If LSU offered say 800k, and UW gave him a boost to say 650-700k, I think he should have stayed due to loyalty to players and coaches, his own social stability, and to see out his plan he has been putting together for a while. Obviously he'll have a good amount of talent at LSU, but he'll have to start anew in fitting them into his system and having them learn it. He could have waited for a better spot to move in that case. But if UW was stubbornly holding at his previous salary or gave him a tiny raise, then I completely understand why he'd move, because it's a major pay differential and it would be a sign of disrespect. I don't know if it would be Barry's fault still though because he has a budget. Then it would be on the lack of passion of boosters relative to the SEC or UW fiscal conservatism.

tibesar will be the replacement, they won't pay enough to get Orlando or any name coordinator, this worries me. I love the attacking 3-4 style, seems much easier to get impact lb's, and this team has a lot, with a lot more coming in, than to actually find 4 impact defensive lineman. Simple truth, this is a huge loss and there will be a definite drop off.
Kerb Hohl
RealGM

2016 Badger Football 

Post#40 » by Kerb Hohl » Sun Jan 3, 2016 3:54 am

They don't need to pay for a name coordinator. They always find the next name coordinator.

When is the last time that UW has gone out and won some bidding war for a high-profile, external assistant (or head) coach?

Return to Green Bay Packers