ImageImage

2016 Badger Football

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25, humanrefutation

xTitan
RealGM
And1: 2,283

Re: 2016 Badger Football 

Post#41 » by xTitan » Sun Jan 3, 2016 5:29 am

Kerb Hohl wrote:They don't need to pay for a name coordinator. They always find the next name coordinator.

When is the last time that UW has gone out and won some bidding war for a high-profile, external assistant (or head) coach?

They never win a bidding war, always find? They get a guy, the defenses have been average to weak most of the time, recruiting has been an issue, but Aranda got away from the slow, bend but not try to break defenses, this will most likely change.
Kerb Hohl
RealGM
And1: 4,172
Location: Hmmmm...how many 1sts would Jason Richardson cost...?

2016 Badger Football 

Post#42 » by Kerb Hohl » Sun Jan 3, 2016 6:33 am

I've been a major, major Aranda fan from day 1.

My question is, over the past 20-25 years of success in UW football/basketball, when has losing an assistant coach or even head coach stopped the momentum? They'll find someone. If the football program crumbles, it won't be because they failed to pay for another year or 2 of Aranda.

The defense may take a step back, but the program will be fine. MSU lost Nard-Dog and they got to the playoffs. Will they have a longer-term dropoff? Maybe. But Wisconsin is in a class of teams that mostly can't or won't pay absurd money for a coordinator that would leave for greener pastures in another year anyways even if paid.

I think they'll at least try to hire somebody to keep his principles. Not sure if Tibesar is that guy. Doubt Orlando comes. Also heard Mel Tucker's name.
xTitan
RealGM
And1: 2,283

Post#43 » by xTitan » Sun Jan 3, 2016 7:45 am

Kerb Hohl wrote:I've been a major, major Aranda fan from day 1.

My question is, over the past 20-25 years of success in UW football/basketball, when has losing an assistant coach or even head coach stopped the momentum? They'll find someone. If the football program crumbles, it won't be because they failed to pay for another year or 2 of Aranda.

The defense may take a step back, but the program will be fine. MSU lost Nard-Dog and they got to the playoffs. Will they have a longer-term dropoff? Maybe. But Wisconsin is in a class of teams that mostly can't or won't pay absurd money for a coordinator that would leave for greener pastures in another year anyways even if paid.

I think they'll at least try to hire somebody to keep his principles. Not sure if Tibesar is that guy. Doubt Orlando comes. Also heard Mel Tucker's name.

Chryst leaving stopped the momentum, they won the Big ten the next year but because of result due to the restrictions at OSU and Penn State, they were a bad team. UW was lucky enough to be put into the awful Big Ten west, but they have never beaten Urb since he got to the Big Ten and it will be extremely challenging doing that in the future.
Kerb Hohl
RealGM

2016 Badger Football 

Post#44 » by Kerb Hohl » Sun Jan 3, 2016 7:55 am

Go jump on the Alabama bandwagon if that's your take. I don't think UW is going to ever going to consistently finish above/beat OSU with IMO the best coach of our era running things and their resources in Columbus.

Easy schedule or not, they're winning 10 games even in "down" or transition years. Chryst wasn't going to win anything if he stayed as coordinator with Danny O'Brien/young Stave/no-knees Phillips. And again...they did pretty **** well post-Chryst as OC given that they had a HC change.

FYI - Barry ponied up and made Chryst a top 15 coordinator to hold off him for an extra year. The Badgers do try as best they can to keep the guys. All of that said, I'd assume they win basically the same amount of games with/without Chryst as OC the past few years.

Michigan State is the only team to beat Urb, and both games were borderline miracles. This is college football and there is a definite pecking order...OSU is consistently more talented than everyone else. Enjoy consistent success and maybe once/decade we'll be in the mix for the playoffs. By the way, MSU's win this year came without godly coordinator Pat Narduzzi. Life goes on for good programs.

Final point: if momentum stopped when Chryst left, why did you even care anymore enough to enjoy Aranda's tenure? Hey! They found another good assistant after one left!
DH34Phan
Lead Assistant
And1: 113

Post#45 » by DH34Phan » Sun Jan 3, 2016 8:20 am

As a casual fan it seems like Wisconsin's athletic program has enough money to pay to keep good assistant coaches and enough money to pay a top tier head coach.

We're pretty lucky that this is a destination job for Chryst, or else we'd see another guy use it as a career launchpad.
jimmybones
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,727

Post#46 » by jimmybones » Sun Jan 3, 2016 7:42 pm

DH34Phan wrote:Aranda has to be salivating over the caliber of recruits he will be getting at LSU as compared to Wisconsin. He was kind of under the radar here, now he is in the limelight.

I wonder if he could get elevated to head coach if next year is Les Miles' last, or he is fired during the season.

Agreed, he's going to have some juggernaut defenses down there.

Barry could have offered to match and he still probably leaves, it's clearly a better job.
Kerb Hohl
RealGM

Post#47 » by Kerb Hohl » Sun Jan 3, 2016 8:08 pm

DH34Phan wrote:As a casual fan it seems like Wisconsin's athletic program has enough money to pay to keep good assistant coaches and enough money to pay a top tier head coach.

We're pretty lucky that this is a destination job for Chryst, or else we'd see another guy use it as a career launchpad.

I am sure some of these schools could afford a little bit more, but Aranda's deal is just silly money.

Barry makes ~300k more than a lot of high-end BIG ADs, but I don't think that makes that huge of a difference.
El Duderino
RealGM
And1: 1,328

Post#48 » by El Duderino » Sun Jan 3, 2016 10:49 pm

jimmybones wrote:
DH34Phan wrote:Aranda has to be salivating over the caliber of recruits he will be getting at LSU as compared to Wisconsin. He was kind of under the radar here, now he is in the limelight.

I wonder if he could get elevated to head coach if next year is Les Miles' last, or he is fired during the season.

Agreed, he's going to have some juggernaut defenses down there.

Barry could have offered to match and he still probably leaves, it's clearly a better job.

Yea with as high profile as LSU is nationally and the level of recruits he'll be able to put in his defenses, that's his best chance to potentially land a nice head coaching job in a few years. I'd have taken that LSU job also, regardless is Wisconsin matched the money.
Kerb Hohl
RealGM

Post#49 » by Kerb Hohl » Mon Jan 4, 2016 6:05 pm

Voytik of Pitt (started as a soph under Chryst, sat recently) is grad transferring. He might be a slight upgrade over Houston if we can promise him the role.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,083

Post#50 » by ReasonablySober » Mon Jan 4, 2016 9:25 pm

When the Badgers play the Buckeyes at home next season, OSU will be down a f*ck-ton of talent. Mass exodus of underclassmen in Columbus.
James1980
Veteran
And1: 391

Post#51 » by James1980 » Mon Jan 4, 2016 9:26 pm

Obviously can't pay the defensive coordinator 1.3 mil, but why not 800,000? Our Athletic Department brings in a lot of revenue.
NotYoAvgNBAFan wrote:I overlook foolishness.
Kerb Hohl
RealGM

Post#52 » by Kerb Hohl » Mon Jan 4, 2016 9:52 pm

James1980 wrote:Obviously can't pay the defensive coordinator 1.3 mil, but why not 800,000? Our Athletic Department brings in a lot of revenue.

I don't get this. Are you talking about Aranda? Aranda would likely not have taken 800k to stay. I believe this is in the range that they offered him (somewhere around 850k if I heard right).

If you're talking about an external candidate for the new guy...maybe they would. They probably have to decide the risk/reward on that or just bringing in a younger guy again that they like with their scheme.
James1980
Veteran
And1: 391

Post#53 » by James1980 » Mon Jan 4, 2016 10:06 pm

No, not Aranda, in general. Looks like the Michigan Coordinators get 880,000, hell even the Lousiville Offensive Coordinator gets 850,000.
NotYoAvgNBAFan wrote:I overlook foolishness.
Kerb Hohl
RealGM

2016 Badger Football 

Post#54 » by Kerb Hohl » Mon Jan 4, 2016 10:09 pm

James1980 wrote:No, not Aranda, in general. Looks like the Michigan Coordinators get 880,000, hell even the Lousiville Offensive Coordinator gets 850,000.

If it's worth it, maybe they could. They seem to be good at hiring up-and-coming guys and they lose out on probably a year of their services. Michigan just lost Durkin anyways, who they were paying 800k. Maybe this will be a bit more of the norm if the Badgers go up and hire Todd Orlando or something (doubtful).
trwi7
RealGM
And1: 26,402

Post#55 » by trwi7 » Mon Jan 4, 2016 10:58 pm

Kerb Hohl wrote:Michigan just lost Durkin anyways, who they were paying 800k.

Yeah but they lost him to a head coaching job and not some crappy mid major either, a Big Ten school.
stellation wrote:What's the difference between Gery Woelful and this glass of mineral water? The mineral water actually has a source."

I Hate Manure wrote:We look to be awful next season without Beasley.
Kerb Hohl
RealGM

Post#56 » by Kerb Hohl » Tue Jan 5, 2016 4:07 pm

trwi7 wrote:
Kerb Hohl wrote:Michigan just lost Durkin anyways, who they were paying 800k.

Yeah but they lost him to a head coaching job and not some crappy mid major either, a Big Ten school.

I'm not sure what the point is here but UW has basically lost 2 coordinators. One was Chryst who they gave a raise to to keep for awhile until he left for Pitt. The other one they lost was Aranda who was offered an absurd contract/situation after they paid Aranda to keep him for an extra year.

Maybe they've lost some position coaches, but I don't see a huge problem here.
Kerb Hohl
RealGM

Post#57 » by Kerb Hohl » Tue Jan 5, 2016 7:34 pm

Allanon23
Senior
And1: 102

Post#58 » by Allanon23 » Wed Jan 6, 2016 4:45 pm

lmao@ the people blaming Barry or UW for losing Aranda. Nobody in the conference (including OSU and UM) would have been able to keep him from LSU in this situation.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,083

Post#59 » by ReasonablySober » Wed Jan 6, 2016 4:49 pm

"People shouldn't be offended when somebody leaves," Alvarez said. "Someone else wants them and is going to spend more money than we're willing to pay. That's part of the business. It happens to everyone."

It just happens more often to your program, Barry.
MartyConlonOnTheRun
RealGM
And1: 11,040

Post#60 » by MartyConlonOnTheRun » Wed Jan 6, 2016 8:54 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:
"People shouldn't be offended when somebody leaves," Alvarez said. "Someone else wants them and is going to spend more money than we're willing to pay. That's part of the business. It happens to everyone."

It just happens more often to your program, Barry.

Honestly, I think more people are upset since Barry always comes across as an arrogant prick, has a high salary, and demanded to be paid to coach the bowl games. I think Barry brings a lot of the criticism upon himself.

Return to Green Bay Packers