Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25, humanrefutation

Mags FTW
RealGM
And1: 7,308

Re: College Football 2016 

Post#261 » by Mags FTW » Tue Jan 3, 2017 10:33 pm

PkrsBcksGphsMqt wrote:
Mags FTW wrote:Minny fired Claeys

Now it gets interesting. The longer it takes for them to announce a hire the less likely they are going to upgrade.

I don't see how any candidate wouldn't want to wait to see the fallout. You don't know which players are being suspended and which are being expelled, which recruits will decommit, or if the NCAA is going to do anything about a recruit attending a gang bang. Not to mention the school doesn't have the best image right now.
Kerb Hohl
RealGM
And1: 4,168
Location: Hmmmm...how many 1sts would Jason Richardson cost...?

Post#262 » by Kerb Hohl » Tue Jan 3, 2017 10:42 pm

I guess from reading some of the rumors PBGM had posted, I had assumed that there may have already been some backchannel relay that the job was open to Fleck, and that firing Claeys (coincidentally the day after Fleck's last game) means it is almost certainly Fleck.

I don't know if I see another coach out there that is an upgrade. I'm sure there is a great, shrewd hire that I'm undervaluing or not aware of, but if it's not Fleck it's not great IMO.

Of course, maybe their hand was forced to fire Claeys in some way due to the scandal, but otherwise I was assuming they have an agreement.

They could have one with Miles, Kelly, or Pelini who all also don't seem like they'd want to go to MN for various reasons (not a knock, but they probably all will wait for an SEC or cushy assistant job I was assuming) but if I was MN and the whole scandal was taken out of the picture, I'd just stick with the continuity of Claeys. I don't think Kelly/Miles would be too successful given Mindwestern recruiting compared to what everyone assumes they'd do.

Not an endorsement from me that Claeys is some sort of dominant coach of our era, but I guess if the bigger names are out of the picture, I'd probably just stick with the continuity of the Kill/Claeys tenure is all and hope that it continues to build.
Mags FTW
RealGM

Post#263 » by Mags FTW » Tue Jan 3, 2017 10:59 pm

Kerb Hohl wrote:Of course, maybe their hand was forced to fire Claeys in some way due to the scandal

I think this was more the case. There was a physical petition to get him fired, an online petition,Women's Rights groups calling for his firing, and there is a rally planned for tomorrow.

In her letter to Kaler and Coyle, Helen Rubenstein, program director for Global Rights for Women, wrote, “Terminating Coach Claeys is one of the most public actions the University can take to demonstrate its continuing commitment to ending sexual assault on campus.”

http://startribune.com/eric-kaler-mark-coyle-and-u-leaders-face-mounting-pressure-to-fire-tracy-claeys/409567765/
PkrsBcksGphsMqt
RealGM
And1: 1,417

Post#264 » by PkrsBcksGphsMqt » Tue Jan 3, 2017 11:00 pm

I was not a fan of Claeys, at all. He's a coordinator, not a coach. He has no personality, barely talks, and is generally uninspiring. He did a fantastic job getting our D to where it is today, but beyond that, he's been underwhelming as the face of the program. I believe we have the worst recruiting class in the B1G right now. He made a mediocre hire, at best, at OC last off season.

The only thing I can't stand more than Claeys is the leadership at the top of the University. It's a bureaucratic mess where no one is held accountable because no one has the authority to do their job. The Board of Regents, and to a lesser degree the President, meddle in every aspect of the athletic department. It's maddening, essentially the Herb Kohl style of management implemented at a major University.

So while I'm glad the school is moving on from Claeys, I'm irritated how it came about and am already anticipating a debacle concerning the new hire. I've seen some pretty substantive rumors, dating back to before Christmas, that Fleck was going to be the guy. But who knows, that could have just been Fleck leading Minnesota along to get a bigger deal from WMU or to entice another P5 program to enter the picture.
BucksRuleAll22 wrote:Calvin Johnson is horrible and not a top WR.
PkrsBcksGphsMqt
RealGM

Post#265 » by PkrsBcksGphsMqt » Tue Jan 3, 2017 11:02 pm

Mags FTW wrote:
Kerb Hohl wrote:Of course, maybe their hand was forced to fire Claeys in some way due to the scandal

I think this was more the case. There was a physical petition to get him fired, an online petition,Women's Rights groups calling for his firing, and there is a rally planned for tomorrow.

In her letter to Kaler and Coyle, Helen Rubenstein, program director for Global Rights for Women, wrote, “Terminating Coach Claeys is one of the most public actions the University can take to demonstrate its continuing commitment to ending sexual assault on campus.”

http://startribune.com/eric-kaler-mark-coyle-and-u-leaders-face-mounting-pressure-to-fire-tracy-claeys/409567765/

From what I've read today, there were heavy weight donors on both sides of this issue. Some actually withdrew mega donations once Claeys was let go. The fan base was pretty well split as well. That is why they really need to nail the hire and hopefully it's someone who is charismatic enough to win everyone over. Not holding my breath.
PkrsBcksGphsMqt
RealGM

Post#266 » by PkrsBcksGphsMqt » Tue Jan 3, 2017 11:05 pm

Last post about this for a while, don't want the Gophers to overtake this thread. :D

Read on Twitter
Kerb Hohl
RealGM

Post#267 » by Kerb Hohl » Tue Jan 3, 2017 11:31 pm

PkrsBcksGphsMqt wrote:I was not a fan of Claeys, at all. He's a coordinator, not a coach. He has no personality, barely talks, and is generally uninspiring. He did a fantastic job getting our D to where it is today, but beyond that, he's been underwhelming as the face of the program. I believe we have the worst recruiting class in the B1G right now. He made a mediocre hire, at best, at OC last off season.

The only thing I can't stand more than Claeys is the leadership at the top of the University. It's a bureaucratic mess where no one is held accountable because no one has the authority to do their job. The Board of Regents, and to a lesser degree the President, meddle in every aspect of the athletic department. It's maddening, essentially the Herb Kohl style of management implemented at a major University.

So while I'm glad the school is moving on from Claeys, I'm irritated how it came about and am already anticipating a debacle concerning the new hire. I've seen some pretty substantive rumors, dating back to before Christmas, that Fleck was going to be the guy. But who knows, that could have just been Fleck leading Minnesota along to get a bigger deal from WMU or to entice another P5 program to enter the picture.

Yeah, I wasn't completely endorsing Claeys, but look at Paul Chryst. You can get the job done with a boring, smart team in the Midwest even with garbage recruiting ranks. Chryst surprised me a bit with some early classes, but he's now getting the "Wisconsin commit downgrade" and is middle/lower in the rankings. Some guys he signed were 4-stars and dropped to 3 pretty quickly.

If it's Fleck, that's (probably?) an upgrade. If not, there are a lot of hires that can go south. Even the big name older guys.
Mags FTW
RealGM

Post#268 » by Mags FTW » Wed Jan 4, 2017 12:01 am

Kerb Hohl wrote:
PkrsBcksGphsMqt wrote:I was not a fan of Claeys, at all. He's a coordinator, not a coach. He has no personality, barely talks, and is generally uninspiring. He did a fantastic job getting our D to where it is today, but beyond that, he's been underwhelming as the face of the program. I believe we have the worst recruiting class in the B1G right now. He made a mediocre hire, at best, at OC last off season.

Yeah, I wasn't completely endorsing Claeys, but look at Paul Chryst. You can get the job done with a boring, smart team in the Midwest even with garbage recruiting ranks. Chryst surprised me a bit with some early classes, but he's now getting the "Wisconsin commit downgrade" and is middle/lower in the rankings. Some guys he signed were 4-stars and dropped to 3 pretty quickly.

If it's Fleck, that's (probably?) an upgrade. If not, there are a lot of hires that can go south. Even the big name older guys.

He's probably who they need right now. His rah rah "row the boat" schtick will help with their slumping ticket sales and lack of enthusiasm after the scandal.

Not quite sold on him as a great coach though. They beat a awful Illinois team and won by 1 at NW, who fumbled the ball at the goal line and probably should've won. Only went 8-5 last year.
PkrsBcksGphsMqt
RealGM

Post#269 » by PkrsBcksGphsMqt » Wed Jan 4, 2017 1:11 am

Kerb, I get what you are saying, but if you asked the average Gopher fan, they'd tell you the program is already on a steep decline despite the 9-4 record. Gophers almost literally had the easiest schedule imaginable. Look at who they beat to get those 8 regular season wins. No one of note. WSU was a nice win, but nothing that gives you a lot of optimism for the future, particularly when you factor in the horrible recruiting. Then throw in the off the field fiasco that has blemished the school. I think it's a good time to move on.
BUCKnation
RealGM
And1: 2,938

Post#270 » by BUCKnation » Wed Jan 4, 2017 1:28 am

Mags FTW wrote:He's probably who they need right now. His rah rah "row the boat" schtick will help with their slumping ticket sales and lack of enthusiasm after the scandal.

Not quite sold on him as a great coach though. They beat a awful Illinois team and won by 1 at NW, who fumbled the ball at the goal line and probably should've won. Only went 8-5 last year.

Also had some of the worst clock management I've ever seen.
Kerb Hohl
RealGM

Post#271 » by Kerb Hohl » Wed Jan 4, 2017 3:35 am

PkrsBcksGphsMqt wrote:Kerb, I get what you are saying, but if you asked the average Gopher fan, they'd tell you the program is already on a steep decline despite the 9-4 record. Gophers almost literally had the easiest schedule imaginable. Look at who they beat to get those 8 regular season wins. No one of note. WSU was a nice win, but nothing that gives you a lot of optimism for the future, particularly when you factor in the horrible recruiting. Then throw in the off the field fiasco that has blemished the school. I think it's a good time to move on.

Oh yeah...I know they've got the easy schedule and it's a bit of a house of cards.

Wonder if part of the slumping ticket sales was because of that schedule as well.

Just am saying if it isn't Fleck, I know that Miles or Kelly may put butts in the seats (not sure either would come) but I feel like both would have a foot out the door or Miles may use it as a twilight job for his career.

Anyways, interested to see who it is but if it's not Fleck, I totally understand the firing, but you're treading in dangerous waters with a bunch of guys transferring possibly and almost coaches not wanting to take that on. I think Fleck could turn it around quickly but some decent, but not a name hire could find trouble.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 45,225

Post#272 » by MickeyDavis » Wed Jan 4, 2017 3:40 am

A moribund program like Minnesota could use a big mouth "rah rah" guy regardless of his actual ability. They need some perceived excitement. "You know what a trailblazer is? It's someone who blazes trails for someone else ".

I actually think he'll do a good job there.
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
PkrsBcksGphsMqt
RealGM

Post#273 » by PkrsBcksGphsMqt » Wed Jan 4, 2017 3:50 am

#1 Minnesota football insider is reporting Fleck could be in the cities tomorrow. He has me thinking it's going to happen. We shall see though, these things tend to fall apart at the last second for Minnesota.
Mags FTW
RealGM

Post#274 » by Mags FTW » Wed Jan 4, 2017 5:16 am

PkrsBcksGphsMqt wrote:#1 Minnesota football insider is reporting Fleck could be in the cities tomorrow. He has me thinking it's going to happen. We shall see though, these things tend to fall apart at the last second for Minnesota.

Someone on Gopher Hole said that FSU OC Randy Sanders has been contacted.

Also a rumor that the Gophs starting Center is transferring.
Kerb Hohl
RealGM

Post#275 » by Kerb Hohl » Wed Jan 4, 2017 5:20 am

MickeyDavis wrote:A moribund program like Minnesota could use a big mouth "rah rah" guy regardless of his actual ability. They need some perceived excitement. "You know what a trailblazer is? It's someone who blazes trails for someone else ".

Fleck would be a good hire most likely but you're basically describing Tim Brewster above that.
PkrsBcksGphsMqt
RealGM

Post#276 » by PkrsBcksGphsMqt » Wed Jan 4, 2017 12:49 pm

Kerb Hohl wrote:
MickeyDavis wrote:A moribund program like Minnesota could use a big mouth "rah rah" guy regardless of his actual ability. They need some perceived excitement. "You know what a trailblazer is? It's someone who blazes trails for someone else ".

Fleck would be a good hire most likely but you're basically describing Tim Brewster above that.

Yeah, that is my deep down fear as well. Though Fleck has actually been a head coach and even succeeded. Brewster was a rah-rah guy that spent most of his career as a TE's coach. But who knows, plenty of MAC coaches have jumped up to P5 and failed.
PkrsBcksGphsMqt
RealGM

Post#277 » by PkrsBcksGphsMqt » Wed Jan 4, 2017 12:51 pm

Mags FTW wrote:
PkrsBcksGphsMqt wrote:#1 Minnesota football insider is reporting Fleck could be in the cities tomorrow. He has me thinking it's going to happen. We shall see though, these things tend to fall apart at the last second for Minnesota.

Someone on Gopher Hole said that FSU OC Randy Sanders has been contacted.

Also a rumor that the Gophs starting Center is transferring.

Hadn't seen that. The #1 insider I was referring to has a paywall on another site. I'm sure there will be many transfers though. Hopefully they hire someone asap and they can calm the kids before they make any final decisions.
Kerb Hohl
RealGM

Post#278 » by Kerb Hohl » Wed Jan 4, 2017 3:16 pm

PkrsBcksGphsMqt wrote:
Kerb Hohl wrote:

Yeah, that is my deep down fear as well. Though Fleck has actually been a head coach and even succeeded. Brewster was a rah-rah guy that spent most of his career as a TE's coach. But who knows, plenty of MAC coaches have jumped up to P5 and failed.

Well I think Fleck is different in that he probably can also coach...but I was just saying that MD said "they need a rah rah guy" and they already had one.
humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 13,939

Post#279 » by humanrefutation » Wed Jan 4, 2017 7:48 pm

Claeys is an idiot and the university did right by firing him. That was 100% the right thing to do based on the circumstance.

Fleck would be a nice hire for them, but if I'm Fleck, I'd rather wait for a shot at a bigger gig than take the Minny job. There are few tougher challenges than taking a head coaching job at a mediocre program in a Power 5 conference. You're recruiting against the big boys who have more prestigious programs, you're facing tougher competition, and the expectations are higher. It's a tough, tough gig.
El Duderino
RealGM
And1: 1,324

Post#280 » by El Duderino » Wed Jan 4, 2017 8:06 pm

humanrefutation wrote:Claeys is an idiot and the university did right by firing him. That was 100% the right thing to do based on the circumstance.

Fleck would be a nice hire for them, but if I'm Fleck, I'd rather wait for a shot at a bigger gig than take the Minny job. There are few tougher challenges than taking a head coaching job at a mediocre program in a Power 5 conference. You're recruiting against the big boys who have more prestigious programs, you're facing tougher competition, and the expectations are higher. It's a tough, tough gig.

Sometimes a guy like Fleck has to take a power five job even if it's a tough one to turn around. He'd earn way more in Minnesota than at Western Michigan and if he stayed there another season hoping for a better job than Minnesota, all it could take is a down year to lose a lot of the luster he currently has.

Return to Green Bay Packers