skones
RealGM
And1: 17,187

Re: PGT: Vikings 

Post#121 » by skones » Mon Sep 19, 2016 3:44 pm

Profound23 wrote:
skones wrote:
Profound23 wrote:
This is pretty easy to assess. If our struggles (including Rodgers) continue week 3, home opener against the Lions..and again coming out of the bye in another home game against the Giants, Cowboys, and Bears....play Hundley for a game or two. If you see a huge difference in play well it's on Rodgers, if it looks the same or worse fire Mccarthy.

Right now you have to believe Rodgers could fetch us a king's ransom if we traded him. The guy is doing everything like a rookie. Struggles with reads, holds on to ball too long, and struggles with pocket presence. He should have had 3 fumbles and 4 interceptions last night.

This idea is **** ludicrous. Holy overreactions batman. My lord.

Waiting patiently all year last year, then half of the year this year, through a bye week and half our home games....if Rodgers is still playing this way I think it's time to send him a reality check.

Like the Pats should have done with Brady after 2013 and first 5 games of 2014?

People are flat out spoiled here. Do you guys realize how hard it is to get a good QB? The idea that the grass is greener with Hundley is bonkers. The idea that there were 10 QBs in this league better than Rodgers last year? Bonkers. Rodgers played like ass last night. The sky isn't falling.
zmanishere11
Sixth Man
And1: 242

Post#122 » by zmanishere11 » Mon Sep 19, 2016 3:45 pm

Profound23 wrote:
LUKE23 wrote:LOL. So if you to assess 100% of blame, Rodgers is getting far more than McCarthy? That is absolutely ridiculous. Put a number on it.

This is pretty easy to assess. If our struggles (including Rodgers) continue week 3, home opener against the Lions..and again coming out of the bye in another home game against the Giants, Cowboys, and Bears....play Hundley for a game or two. If you see a huge difference in play well it's on Rodgers, if it looks the same or worse fire Mccarthy.

Right now you have to believe Rodgers could fetch us a king's ransom if we traded him. The guy is doing everything like a rookie. Struggles with reads, holds on to ball too long, and struggles with pocket presence. He should have had 3 fumbles and 4 interceptions last night.

I can't believe we're at this point: Half the board thinks Rodgers sucks, half the board thinks MM sucks.
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,664

Re: RE: Re: PGT: Vikings 

Post#123 » by WeekapaugGroove » Mon Sep 19, 2016 3:46 pm

WRau1 wrote:This offense looked **** atrocious. If this is how it will be all year, I hope we miss the playoffs so that some real change can happen in the offseason.

Well the next 4 games will show what this offense is all about. All at home and against suspect ds. If they dont play well they could be in trouble. Its interesting looking at the schedule they dont play another really good defense until December when they get the texans.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks
And1: 26,051

Post#124 » by paulpressey25 » Mon Sep 19, 2016 3:49 pm

zmanishere11 wrote:
I can't believe we're at this point: Half the board thinks Rodgers sucks, half the board thinks MM sucks.

And they're both wrong!

The problem is Ted. 8-)
In depth discussions here - shorter stuff on Twitter

https://twitter.com/paulpressey25
JayMKE
RealGM
And1: 14,584

Post#125 » by JayMKE » Mon Sep 19, 2016 3:53 pm

I've never liked the offensive play-calling on this team, I think a change at the top should happen before we throw Rodgers under the bus permanently. We could of and should of won this game but the same old issues seem to continue to plague us.
FREE GIANNIS
Ron Swanson
RealGM
And1: 23,681

Post#126 » by Ron Swanson » Mon Sep 19, 2016 3:56 pm

I've watched too many years of Packers football to know that Week 1 & 2 overreactions are normal, and they usually even out over the course of a long season. It is a bit depressing though, because it actually looks like we have the best defense we've had since 2010, and now the offense has become the problem.
Mags FTW
RealGM
And1: 7,312

Post#127 » by Mags FTW » Mon Sep 19, 2016 3:59 pm

It's McCarthy. Yes, Aaron missed throws. But just like last year, once we were down and really needed to score the playcalling changed and we drove right down the field for a TD. We were moving the ball again on the last drive until the pick.

The same thing happened last year against Carolina and Detroit. It's like he has a special little "Backs Against the Wall" playbook that he uses in the 2nd half.
skones
RealGM
And1: 17,187

Post#128 » by skones » Mon Sep 19, 2016 4:02 pm

Ron Swanson wrote:I've watched too many years of Packers football to know that Week 1 & 2 overreactions are normal, and they usually even out over the course of a long season. It is a bit depressing though, because it actually looks like we have the best defense we've had since 2010, and now the offense has become the problem.

To be fair, our offense wasn't lighting the world on fire in 2010. They didn't really click until November and then never looked back.
Profound23
RealGM
And1: 6,545

Post#129 » by Profound23 » Mon Sep 19, 2016 4:04 pm

Ron Swanson wrote:I've watched too many years of Packers football to know that Week 1 & 2 overreactions are normal, and they usually even out over the course of a long season. It is a bit depressing though, because it actually looks like we have the best defense we've had since 2010, and now the offense has become the problem.

I could chalk this up to being week 1 and 2, but this looks like the same offense as last year.
Kerb Hohl
RealGM
And1: 4,172
Location: Hmmmm...how many 1sts would Jason Richardson cost...?

Post#130 » by Kerb Hohl » Mon Sep 19, 2016 4:09 pm

Profound23 wrote:

I could chalk this up to being week 1 and 2, but this looks like the same offense as last year.

I'm kinda on the fence. I'm pessimistic on MM's scheme at this point, but they were "fine" (not great) at JAX and struggled but still nearly won basically in the toughest environment we'll ever play in save for @Seattle maybe. I'm going to be worried if it doesn't pick up soon.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,023

Post#131 » by ReasonablySober » Mon Sep 19, 2016 4:10 pm

Profound23 wrote:

Yup, all you need to know about the Packers offense is that McCarthy believes the scheme isn't the problem, they simply need to execute better.

Like the writer from SI.com wrote last week, it was the most poorly coached until in the league last season. Now everyone is health and it's still the same dumpster fire. I'm very rarely a Fire This As*hole guy, but McCarthy needs to go.
HKPackFan
RealGM
And1: 10,281

Post#132 » by HKPackFan » Mon Sep 19, 2016 4:16 pm

I think the scheme sucks based on the 14 to 18 game trend, but Rodgers sucked worse last night.

And I wonder if the crappy execution blinds the offensive staff to how bad the scheme is.

Blame the wrs for not executing and not getting open and beating their one on one's.

Blame Rodgers for sucking and missing throws.

Blame lacy for being fat, and losing 5 yards on a toss play. It's easy to say lacy didn't get up field quick enough, the oline didn't hold their blocks long enough, lacy is too fat and needs to get in shape. But what about looking at the playbook and saying...... What a stupid play call, run lacy between the tackles behind a fullback.

It's easy to blame the execution, but what if the scheme is requiring too much. Rodgers has to be GOAT to make it work, lacy needs to be AP to succeed on those toss plays, the wrs need to be some kind of Megatron or Odell Beckham in order to get open.

Maybe Edgar and Clements are nothing more than Yes men, as someone mentioned rather than Philbin or someone from before that could tell MM when he's dug himself too deep into the scheme he can't see its faults.

If the problem exists beyond the bye, they need a serious revaluation. It's not just preseason rustiness. It's a 1. 5 year trend. I think MM is blinded by poor execution too look up and see a flawed scheme.
#FreeChuckDiesel
James1980
Veteran
And1: 381

Post#133 » by James1980 » Mon Sep 19, 2016 4:51 pm

We need to get rid of that shotgun toss play to Lacy and Starks. Starks was tackled immediately for a loss and it was like he ran into a brick wall. We also need to try Montgomery and Abbredaris out there for a few plays. Like somebody said, why did we keep 7 wrs if we only ever use the top 3. We should call screen passes, quick passes when the D line is getting pressure like they were. Every other game I watch receivers can get open unlike ours.
NotYoAvgNBAFan wrote:I overlook foolishness.
trwi7
RealGM
And1: 26,392

Post#134 » by trwi7 » Mon Sep 19, 2016 5:15 pm

Montgomery excelled last year at the underneath routes and getting YAC before he got hurt last year. Abbrederis is perfect for intermediate routes. Yes, he's injury prone but he's also a better route runner and catcher than Adams. Yet neither of them can get on the field.
stellation wrote:What's the difference between Gery Woelful and this glass of mineral water? The mineral water actually has a source."

I Hate Manure wrote:We look to be awful next season without Beasley.
Mags FTW
RealGM

Post#135 » by Mags FTW » Mon Sep 19, 2016 5:25 pm

trwi7 wrote:Montgomery excelled last year at the underneath routes and getting YAC before he got hurt last year. Abbrederis is perfect for intermediate routes. Yes, he's injury prone but he's also a better route runner and catcher than Adams. Yet neither of them can get on the field.

And it makes no sense to keep all of those WRs and not rotate them in to get fresh legs against DBs.
JackSIKMA43
Bench Warmer
And1: 847

Post#136 » by JackSIKMA43 » Mon Sep 19, 2016 5:36 pm

Biggest glaring issue to me, after two games, is the baffling inability for our receivers to create any separation from their defenders. Nelson being back has not fixed that at all. I've always been a McCarthy supporter, but he seriously needs to put a ton of new wrinkles into his playbook, because this is getting massively redundant. The pass rush and run defense looks real good so far - no complaints there. But Randall got burned at the stake last night. Not good.
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,664

Post#137 » by WeekapaugGroove » Mon Sep 19, 2016 5:40 pm

Im probably a little higher on McCarthy's overall coaching ability than most but if for some reason they cant get the offense going this year id fully support a coaching change. Sometimes coaching regimes just run their course and a fresh set of ideas is needed. Look at Pittsburgh they let a very good oc in arians go and brought in haley and that philosophy change was a little rough at first but has paid dividends in the long run.

If mike were let go hed find a job that offseason if he wanted to and i think hed be a good hire for a young team.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
RRyder823
General Manager
And1: 4,168

Post#138 » by RRyder823 » Mon Sep 19, 2016 5:42 pm

Anyone going to point out that two games in Jordy looks a step slower?

IDK maybe it's just me but he doesn't look to glide like he used too.

As for last night's loss it was largely because two players played like crap.

Randell was in a battle with Williams for which team could have a CB play worse throughout the night but ultimately pulled ahead in that matchup by the end of the night. Seriously. We completely stuffed the run had a constant pass rush but he just got torched again and again and again.

As for the second player to play like crap look no further then our very own MVP. This wasn't one of those "well he played bad considering it's Rodgers but still better then most" games but rather his best Johnny Manziel impersonation.

And oh yeah the 4th down. If the offense had been rolling you can make a great argument for going for it there. But on a night where you've been struggling to move the ball all night and your best offensive weapon has been a yellow piece of cloth you have to take the points and tie the game up when you got the chance. Oh well at least it quiets the "go for it" crowd as a case study why it can be smart to just take the points.

Now that my rants over I'm less concerned about the D. Outside of the atrocitie that was Randall they played pretty good in all facets and I just can't imagine Randall playing that bad again. The offense is the greater concern as our problems last year are being made apparent that it wasn't all Jordy. I know the new thing is blaming the scheme. But it isn't scheme that's causing Rodgers to miss all these throws. For better or for worse we're a team built to revolve around a top flight QB. Rodgers has to get back to that level where he hasn't been since week 3 last year

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using RealGM mobile app
M-C-G
RealGM
And1: 9,368

Post#139 » by M-C-G » Mon Sep 19, 2016 5:50 pm

trwi7 wrote:Montgomery excelled last year at the underneath routes and getting YAC before he got hurt last year. Abbrederis is perfect for intermediate routes. Yes, he's injury prone but he's also a better route runner and catcher than Adams. Yet neither of them can get on the field.

Yup...We are at a point where we need to start scheming around the talent we have...Janis, once healthy, needs 10-15 plays where he either runs the go route and stretches the field or runs a drag route and uses his speed to try and make a play.

Montgomery needs some bubble screens and I'd actually like to see him instead of Cobb lining up in the backfield. Guy needs YAC opportunities.

We are keeping like 7 wideouts on the roster and have we run a 5 wide set at all?
Mags FTW
RealGM

Post#140 » by Mags FTW » Mon Sep 19, 2016 5:52 pm

RRyder823 wrote:Anyone going to point out that two games in Jordy looks a step slower?

IDK maybe it's just me but he doesn't look to glide like he used too.

He's coming off a torn ACL. It's expected.

Return to Green Bay Packers