ImageImage

ATL Week 4 - The Dreaded Bye Week

Moderators: paulpressey25, MickeyDavis, humanrefutation

trwi7
RealGM
And1: 26,313

Re: ATL Week 4 - The Dreaded Bye Week 

Post#61 » by trwi7 » Wed Oct 5, 2016 5:21 pm

Ron Swanson wrote:The Vikings hot takes are pretty hilarious. People actually think the way they're winning games is sustainable? Let me know when they don't have to rely on 2 defensive TD's to beat the **** Titans. Bradford has looked good but he hasn't had to do much if anything at all.

They played Shaun Hill against the Titans. And yes the way they're winning games is sustainable. Don't have Bradford do more than he's capable of and make killer turnovers and let the defense win you the game or at least keep you in the game late so you have a chance to win.

I mean they're winning almost exactly the same way the Broncos won last year.
stellation wrote:What's the difference between Gery Woelful and this glass of mineral water? The mineral water actually has a source."

I Hate Manure wrote:We look to be awful next season without Beasley.
Kerb Hohl
RealGM
And1: 4,155
Location: Hmmmm...how many 1sts would Jason Richardson cost...?

Post#62 » by Kerb Hohl » Wed Oct 5, 2016 5:33 pm

Also, Peterson being out has forced them to run an actual 2016 offense, as expected. They're gonna have a few craptacular games, but they are generally a really, really good team.

They're currently the #3 team in line to win the Super Bowl in Vegas.
Ron Swanson
RealGM
And1: 23,357

Post#63 » by Ron Swanson » Wed Oct 5, 2016 5:55 pm

No, I don't think that a middle of the pack scoring offense (16th in points) can sustain that level of winning when a 3rd of their points have come off of defensive and special teams scores. Kudos to them for forcing Rodgers to have arguably the worst game of his career, but even then they squeaked by with a one-score win.

They're in trouble if that defense has even an average outing and doesn't force 3+ turnovers and give the offense such a lopsided field position advantage. I'll eat crow if they win the division this year, but I'm amazed that anyone thinks that this isn't still the Packers' division to lose.
RRyder823
General Manager
And1: 4,148

Re: RE: Re: ATL Week 4 - The Dreaded Bye Week 

Post#64 » by RRyder823 » Wed Oct 5, 2016 6:15 pm

Ron Swanson wrote:No, I don't think that a middle of the pack scoring offense (16th in points) can sustain that level of winning when a 3rd of their points have come off of defensive and special teams scores. Kudos to them for forcing Rodgers to have arguably the worst game of his career, but even then they squeaked by with a one-score win.

They're in trouble if that defense has even an average outing and doesn't force 3+ turnovers and give the offense such a lopsided field position advantage. I'll eat crow if they win the division this year, but I'm amazed that anyone thinks that this isn't still the Packers' division to lose.

+1.

I should be suprised that people think that the Vikings D and STs can continue to score at the rate they have but I'm not.

I should be suprised that many of the same people that are proclaiming the Vikings as potentially the favorites for HFA were the same people that went strait into chicken little mode for the Packers losing by 3 points to the same Vikings team on the road with Rodgers playing the worst game of his career because it proved we were a mediocre team but still im not suprised.

I'm not suprised because people get blinded in the moment and fail to look deeper then what's right in front of them

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using RealGM mobile app
Kerb Hohl
RealGM

Post#65 » by Kerb Hohl » Wed Oct 5, 2016 6:18 pm

Ron Swanson wrote:No, I don't think that a middle of the pack scoring offense (16th in points) can sustain that level of winning when a 3rd of their points have come off of defensive and special teams scores. Kudos to them for forcing Rodgers to have arguably the worst game of his career, but even then they squeaked by with a one-score win.

Kerb Hohl
RealGM

Post#66 » by Kerb Hohl » Wed Oct 5, 2016 6:20 pm

RRyder823 wrote:people that went strait into chicken little mode for the Packers losing by 3 points to the same Vikings team on the road with Rodgers playing the worst game of his career because it proved we were a mediocre team but still im not suprised.

Gee, maybe the fact that the atmosphere is like Seattle and the defense looks like it may be approaching Seattle 2011-2015-era levels might have something to do with the fact that Rodgers looked like he did in the games he played in Seattle? And that maybe the Vikings will win all 8 games there this year, or at least 7, making it tough to win our division?

For the record - I was not somebody that said we were a mediocre team after that game. We're a top 5 team in the NFL. I just think that the Vikings are right around that level as well and they've got a slight head start on us.
Ron Swanson
RealGM

Post#67 » by Ron Swanson » Wed Oct 5, 2016 7:30 pm

Denver's defense last year statistically ranked up there with the 2001 Ravens and 85' Bears as far as some of the best individual defensive seasons in NFL history. Which is precisely why people are calling it a hot take to compare the Vikings to them 4 weeks into the season...
trwi7
RealGM
And1: 26,313

Post#68 » by trwi7 » Wed Oct 5, 2016 7:41 pm

Well the Vikings offense is better because they don't have a turnover machine at QB like the Broncos did last year.
stellation wrote:What's the difference between Gery Woelful and this glass of mineral water? The mineral water actually has a source."

I Hate Manure wrote:We look to be awful next season without Beasley.
Kerb Hohl
RealGM

Post#69 » by Kerb Hohl » Wed Oct 5, 2016 7:48 pm

Ron Swanson wrote:Denver's defense last year statistically ranked up there with the 2001 Ravens and 85' Bears as far as some of the best individual defensive seasons in NFL history. Which is precisely why people are calling it a hot take to compare the Vikings to them 4 weeks into the season...

Did you watch football last year, or no? This isn't a hot 4 week take. This is not a massive leap that the Vikings are taking.

Ron Swanson
RealGM

Post#70 » by Ron Swanson » Wed Oct 5, 2016 8:02 pm

Yes, I "watched football last year" :roll:

You can feel free to think whatever you want. I'm simply not letting the annual hot takes of the early season influence my views on where these teams will end up at the end of the year, just like I'm not crowning Carson Wentz the next great franchise QB.

You're literally basing your entire argument around Minnesota being a top 10 defense ever. Take away even one of those defensive TDs and their offense is literally bottom 10 in the league. Look at the offenses slightly above or below Denver last year in scoring, none were playoff teams. It's incredibly hard to win consistently with a below-average offense and is why I'm not buying into the Minnesota hype that apparently some people are already doing.
Kerb Hohl
RealGM

Post#71 » by Kerb Hohl » Wed Oct 5, 2016 8:10 pm

Ron Swanson wrote:Yes, I "watched football last year" :roll:

You can feel free to think whatever you want. I'm simply not letting the annual hot takes of the early season influence my views on where these teams will end up at the end of the year, just like I'm not crowning Carson Wentz the next great franchise QB.

You're literally basing your entire argument around Minnesota being a top 10 defense ever. Take away even one of those defensive TDs and their offense is literally bottom 10 in the league. Look at the offenses slightly above or below Denver last year in scoring, none were playoff teams. It's incredibly hard to win consistently with a below-average offense and is why I'm not buying into the Minnesota hype that apparently some people are already doing.

I'm not sure that they're a top 10 defense ever, but they're probably #2 in the NFL right now.

By the way, they won 11 games last season and Peterson was hot garbage in the 2nd half of it as he was to open the season this year. All the while they were still using Teddy incorrectly so he was not effective. And they still won 11 games and won the division.

Now Barr/Kendricks are more into their primes, Waynes looks good now, and Bradford minus Peterson has their offense as effective so far.

I'm not penning them into the Super Bowl or even winning the division. All of that said, the path is there. Play defense at this level and continue not making mistakes on offense. They may win 12-13 games that way. After that, if you're playing playoff games at home, I'm not sure you'll disagree with me that their HFA is bordering on Seattle-esque right now.

Barnwell is comparing them to the 2011 49ers who were a muffed punt away from the Super Bowl. They added Kaepernick and got there the following year.
RRyder823
General Manager
And1: 4,148

Post#72 » by RRyder823 » Wed Oct 5, 2016 9:39 pm

Kerb Hohl wrote:
Ron Swanson wrote:Denver's defense last year statistically ranked up there with the 2001 Ravens and 85' Bears as far as some of the best individual defensive seasons in NFL history. Which is precisely why people are calling it a hot take to compare the Vikings to them 4 weeks into the season...

Did you watch football last year, or no? This isn't a hot 4 week take. This is not a massive leap that the Vikings are taking.

It's a hot take to assume that they'll sustain the level of play that Denver did yes

Kerb Hohl
RealGM

Post#73 » by Kerb Hohl » Wed Oct 5, 2016 11:47 pm

RRyder823 wrote:
It's a hot take to assume that they'll sustain the level of play that Denver did yes

They don't have to sustain the level of Denver's play. They won 11 games last year with a defense that allowed basically the same amount of points/game as Denver and it seems to be improved. Denver may be a more efficient/better defense, but you're not giving this Vikings defense nearly enough credit...and it seems like it might be sustainable.
Mags FTW
RealGM
And1: 7,260

Post#74 » by Mags FTW » Thu Oct 6, 2016 4:13 am

Ron Swanson wrote:The Vikings hot takes are pretty hilarious. People actually think the way they're winning games is sustainable? Let me know when they don't have to rely on 2 defensive TD's to beat the **** Titans. Bradford has looked good but he hasn't had to do much if anything at all.

The Vikings are playing very good right now, but we should all know from last year it's not how you start it's how you finish.
raysbookclub
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,159

Post#75 » by raysbookclub » Thu Oct 6, 2016 1:19 pm

Minnesota's good, no question. They should have beaten the Seahawks and then played at Arizona. Maybe they win that game too. And on paper huge injuries to start the year: LT, star RB, QB. But Kalil was shaky, even though he was the starter. And Peterson in some ways may have held the offense back, though he's obviously a great RB. And to this point, Bradford looks like an upgrade over Bridgewater.

Plus they have basically the same schedule as GB, which isn't the toughest. They definitely look like a contender, with GB, for a first round bye.

It's a long season though. Anything can happen. They'd probably struggle with anything happening to Linval Joseph or Bradford. And you'd think it's a matter of time before defenses get a feel for how to defend Diggs and a non-AP-centric Viking offense. And I don't think MIN's defense is as good as lately hyped...
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 44,900

Post#76 » by MickeyDavis » Thu Oct 6, 2016 5:57 pm

I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
Iheartfootball
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,169

Post#77 » by Iheartfootball » Thu Oct 6, 2016 6:09 pm

MickeyDavis wrote:Joe Buck says a hair plug addiction nearly cost him his broadcasting career

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ftw/2016/10/06/joe-buck-says-hair-plug-addiction-nearly-cost-him-his-broadcasting-career/91661440/

They got a program for that?
chuckleslove
RealGM
And1: 1,128

Post#78 » by chuckleslove » Sun Dec 18, 2016 3:29 am

Mags FTW wrote:Will the Dolphins ever be good again?

This looked like a good take at the time :P
I'm dealing with cancer, it sucks, can follow along for updates if that's your thing: Chuck's cancer Go Fund Me page
Mags FTW
RealGM
And1: 7,260

Post#79 » by Mags FTW » Sun Dec 18, 2016 4:55 am

chuckleslove wrote:

Still not sold. Here are their wins:
Jets x2
Browns (OT)
Rams
49ers
Cards
Bills
Chargers

The only team with a winning record they beat was the Steelers at home in Week 6.
chuckleslove
RealGM
And1: 1,128

Post#80 » by chuckleslove » Sun Dec 18, 2016 5:19 am

Mags FTW wrote:
chuckleslove wrote:

Still not sold. Here are their wins:
Jets x2
Browns (OT)
Rams
49ers
Cards
Bills
Chargers

The only team with a winning record they beat was the Steelers at home in Week 6.

I don't necessarily disagree but at the time they looked as bad as the Browns. Have to give them some credit.
I'm dealing with cancer, it sucks, can follow along for updates if that's your thing: Chuck's cancer Go Fund Me page

Return to Green Bay Packers