ImageImage

Cowboys Postgame: The fire McCarthy and bench Rodgers edition

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25, humanrefutation

JimmyTheKid
General Manager
And1: 5,135

Re: Cowboys Postgame: The fire McCarthy and bench Rodgers edition 

Post#101 » by JimmyTheKid » Mon Oct 17, 2016 6:51 pm

WiscoKing13 wrote:I put blame on TT and MM for not putting another actual RB on the roster this week. I had in my 53 only 2 RB's on the 53 because of the lack of talent and was surprised they let the one kid go from Minn after one week. But to not bring up Jackson from the P/S or a street FA is nuts. You saw it on the 3rd and 1 with RIP and his **** lead blockers are the worst blocking TE's in the league.

Flat out inexcusable. Not the sole reason they lost, Rodgers deserves most of the blame, but TT and MM willing to go into ANY game on the schedule with one gimpy RB is beyond comprehension. And refusing to go into season after season without a legit 3rd down back is also mind boggling.
JimmyTheKid
General Manager
And1: 5,135

Post#102 » by JimmyTheKid » Mon Oct 17, 2016 6:53 pm

Ron Swanson wrote:Again, you're **** insane if you think that Aaron will or should be benched. This offense needs to get its crap together, but some of you are going off the deep end here.

Yup. Loony Toons.
JHSFIVE
Starter
And1: 214

Post#103 » by JHSFIVE » Mon Oct 17, 2016 8:55 pm

JimmyTheKid wrote:
WiscoKing13 wrote:I put blame on TT and MM for not putting another actual RB on the roster this week. I had in my 53 only 2 RB's on the 53 because of the lack of talent and was surprised they let the one kid go from Minn after one week. But to not bring up Jackson from the P/S or a street FA is nuts. You saw it on the 3rd and 1 with RIP and his **** lead blockers are the worst blocking TE's in the league.

Flat out inexcusable. Not the sole reason they lost, Rodgers deserves most of the blame, but TT and MM willing to go into ANY game on the schedule with one gimpy RB is beyond comprehension. And refusing to go into season after season without a legit 3rd down back is also mind boggling.

My thoughts exactly. IMO,there's way too much arrogance on the personnel side of things. I say arrogance cause I can't call it ignorance. Mike Tampa Bay picked up Jacquizz Rodgers off the wire and he was huge in his first game versus Carolina. He would sadly probably be the best back on this team right now. I won't even start on the decision not to call somebody else in the practice squad.

Sidenote: Holy **** injuries
OVERREACT
MartyConlonOnTheRun
RealGM
And1: 11,026

Post#105 » by MartyConlonOnTheRun » Mon Oct 17, 2016 10:48 pm

Interesting little sound byte of MCCarthy this afternoon where he said he expects Bulaga to play and that it would take a big injury to keep him from playing. Basically he was saying Brian would play through injuries that he probably should sit from. He quickly said "I probably shouldn't have said that" and went with the more boiler plate if we will see how he tests.
MartyConlonOnTheRun
RealGM
And1: 11,026

Post#106 » by MartyConlonOnTheRun » Mon Oct 17, 2016 10:52 pm

LUKE23 wrote:http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/news/mike-mccarthy-aaron-rodgers-packers-offense-play-calling-coaching/12hgtzq2znyct18oabam3yiqgk

Yup.

Umm, Rodgers had a horrible game. We would've probably won with an ok game. He made one great throw to Jordy and had at least five bad misfires for first downs and TDs besides the Int. Add in his fumble, and that was the difference in the game.
LUKE23
RealGM
And1: 6,239

Post#107 » by LUKE23 » Tue Oct 18, 2016 3:54 am

You aren't getting the bigger picture, which is what all these articles are about. MM needs to go.
KidA24
General Manager
And1: 7,291

Post#108 » by KidA24 » Tue Oct 18, 2016 4:28 am

MartyConlonOnTheRun wrote:
LUKE23 wrote:http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/news/mike-mccarthy-aaron-rodgers-packers-offense-play-calling-coaching/12hgtzq2znyct18oabam3yiqgk

Yup.

Umm, Rodgers had a horrible game. We would've probably won with an ok game. He made one great throw to Jordy and had at least five bad misfires for first downs and TDs besides the Int. Add in his fumble, and that was the difference in the game.

The hof qb or the coach. You make the call.
Amos Barshad: "So you got a job, a place to live, a license? What’s left?"

Giannis: “Nothing. Just get a ring now.”
El Duderino
RealGM
And1: 1,324

Post#109 » by El Duderino » Tue Oct 18, 2016 4:28 am

rilamann wrote:One of the things I hate about being a young team every season is that it gives Ted Thompson a built in excuse season after season. When we struggle it's ''We're young, we'll learn and get it together.''

It's gotten old, pun intended.

I'm fine with being pretty young each year and mostly developing from within, but i watch the Patriots with such envy.

Granted, strictly as a head coach, Belichick and his staff could run circles around McCarthy and most coaching staffs in creativity from week to week. Beyond that though, nearly every year since becoming their head coach he signs and/or trades for a few veterans on the cheap which often end up helping his team. At the same time, he doesn't go overboard and also builds through the draft.

Belichick isn't afraid that once in awhile a signing or trade won't work out. He understands that misses happens, but he also has understood that each season with Brady is precious so he'll use every avenue possible to try improving his roster in a given season be it savvy free agent signings, trades, the draft, etc.

In a league where trades are pretty rare for players, Belichick completes more than most teams. Some years he'll go big and get guys like Moss or Revis, then other seasons he'll land guys like Blount or the TE Bennett this year who teamed with Gronk are a big problem for defenses. In other years it was a Vrabel, Rodney Harrison, Corey Dillion, Edelman, Amendola, etc.
KidA24
General Manager
And1: 7,291

Post#110 » by KidA24 » Tue Oct 18, 2016 4:42 am

El Duderino wrote:
rilamann wrote:One of the things I hate about being a young team every season is that it gives Ted Thompson a built in excuse season after season. When we struggle it's ''We're young, we'll learn and get it together.''

It's gotten old, pun intended.

I'm fine with being pretty young each year and mostly developing from within, but i watch the Patriots with such envy.

Granted, strictly as a head coach, Belichick and his staff could run circles around McCarthy and most coaching staffs in creativity from week to week. Beyond that though, nearly every year since becoming their head coach he signs and/or trades for a few veterans on the cheap which often end up helping his team. At the same time, he doesn't go overboard and also builds through the draft.

Belichick isn't afraid that once in awhile a signing or trade won't work out. He understands that misses happens, but he also has understood that each season with Brady is precious so he'll use every avenue possible to try improving his roster in a given season be it savvy free agent signings, trades, the draft, etc.

In a league where trades are pretty rare for players, Belichick completes more than most teams. Some years he'll go big and get guys like Moss or Revis, then other seasons he'll land guys like Blount or the TE Bennett this year who teamed with Gronk are a big problem for defenses. In other years it was a Vrabel, Rodney Harrison, Corey Dillion, Edelman, Amendola, etc.

Cobb is better than Edelman or Amendola.
Imagine how Belichick would utilize his talents.

Hint: it wouldn't be running 25 yard sideline fades
Amos Barshad: "So you got a job, a place to live, a license? What’s left?"

Giannis: “Nothing. Just get a ring now.”
Mags FTW
RealGM
And1: 7,312

Post#111 » by Mags FTW » Tue Oct 18, 2016 4:46 am

McCarthy held his own against Belichick in 2010 when he had to actually game plan because Flynn was starting. Needs to do that every week now until Aaron gets right.
El Duderino
RealGM

Post#112 » by El Duderino » Tue Oct 18, 2016 5:03 am

trwi7 wrote:Okay, a couple things here. On most of these there is at least one receiver open and Rodgers is either not seeing them (which isn't good) or he sees them and doesn't want to throw to them presumably because he wants a bigger play downfield (which might actually be worse.)

That second tweet is ridiculous though. We have receivers just running straight into their defense on 3rd and 12. Nobody making any kind of move. Just running straight ahead. Not shockingly, the only open guy is in the flat at midfield and if Rodgers throws to him there are a few defenders that can just come off their man and tackle him probably 5 yards short of the 1st down.

The most frustrating thing though is he isn't even looking for these shorter routes. These are timing plays with small windows of the receiver actually being open, so if you don't hit it or see it right away, the option is going to close and then you're going to have a receiver that has to improvise to get open again. So now your only options are going downfield and we just don't have the receivers that are going to create the separation to make those downfield plays work.

It seems like it's a combination of things

1. Defenses have been watching film of the core of this passing scheme for a decade now. So they know tendencies by alignment and which receivers line up where.

2. The whole group of receivers, tight ends, and running backs lack dynamic speed and play making ability, exasperated by Jordy being older and coming off a knee injury. Cook being out exposes the horrific lack of talent at TE besides Cook.

3. Rodgers isn't right. It's not only him not getting the ball out quicker and accuracy woes, he so often looks terrible in the pocket, even with lots of time to throw. He constantly looks skittish in the pocket as if rushers are just about to hit him, often when that's not the case. He starts bouncing around for no reason and thus is throwing without being set.

Watch guys like Brady and Brees. They stand in the pocket calmly and deliver the ball, including with pass rushers starting to close in. Or just step up in the pocket without bouncing and bouncing all over the place.
El Duderino
RealGM

Post#113 » by El Duderino » Tue Oct 18, 2016 5:26 am

KidA24 wrote:
El Duderino wrote:

Cobb is better than Edelman or Amendola.
Imagine how Belichick would utilize his talents.

Hint: it wouldn't be running 25 yard sideline fades

What makes Cobb better than Edelman? Sometimes i think white receivers like Edelman get that "crafty" label when he's a very skilled talent for that slot receiver role.

That's not the point though. Whether it was Edelman, Amendola, or Welker from the past, Belichick used free agency and trades to get all three. Same for big moves like Moss/Revis or numerous other contributors like i listed above. And there are many others, those were just off the top of my head.

Every successful NFL team needs a heavy influence of it's players to come from the draft, but unlike Ted, Belichick has been far more willing to use every possible avenue available to try improving his rosters from year to year. A few year ago when New England won the title, we were rumored to at least be in talks with Revis, but Belichick actually got it done. Same with Moss.

FWIW, I'm not saying Ted is a bad GM because he isn't. He is very rigid though in his beliefs and a play it safe type. That goes beyond just building rosters. He's the one who keeps bringing back McCarthy, the guy sending Cobb on those routes you hate. We'll see if Ted plays it safe again and keeps McCarthy if say the team wins 9-10 games, gets a wild card berth, and flames out in the first or second round per usual.
HKPackFan
RealGM
And1: 10,278

Post#114 » by HKPackFan » Tue Oct 18, 2016 5:59 am

I'm so glad other people are seeing the pathetic routes MM is calling, which is leading our WRs to be totally blanketed.

(RUN INTO COVERAGE....TURN and look at your QB while the CB is on top of you....CONTINUE TO RUN with CB running with you stride for stride) That's 80% of our WR routes. :banghead:

Or rely on Rodgers and the WR to have perfect chemistry and a 6 inch window of perfection to complete a routine 6 yard pass.

The scheme is crap. No creative plays to get guys open. Jesus our flag football playbook even has some crosses and rubs and bunches and different things to get a guy open. EVERY TEAM IN THE NFL HAS THESE THINGS and USES THEM EVERY GAME!

Also agree our timing offense is **** with rodgers standing around looking for a big play all day long.

MM then says we need better execution and to clean things up, but WTF, hold Rodgers accountable.

We need a change, MM is stale, Rodgers is playing terrible with no one to reel him back in, and every D in the league has figured it out except a few stubborn heads in Lambeau field. If they seriously cannot figure out what the rest of the league knows, they need to go FAST.
#FreeChuckDiesel
raysbookclub
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,173

Post#115 » by raysbookclub » Wed Oct 19, 2016 2:37 am

I didn't watch the game live, just read articles after the game, and I just saw a condensed game replay now. I didn't think the Packers got demolished or anything like that. Rodgers had some key mistakes (overthrowing Cobb for an open TD, the fumble on 1st and goal, that interception), and Montgomery fumbled twice. The CBs had a few terrible plays (Gunter letting Whitehead !! run right past him because he thought he was going to block ??, Gunter falling down on a long pass, Hyde falling down on a long pass, Goodson not being ready on the edge on a jet sweep to Whitehead).

But they weren't outclassed. Eliminate the turnovers (by Rodgers, Montgomery, and Jordy) and get the DBs some longer cleats, and we're right there, good chance win the game.

Return to Green Bay Packers