ImageImage

Colts Postgame: How's the draft looking like?

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25, humanrefutation

El Duderino
RealGM
And1: 1,324

Re: Colts Postgame: How's the draft looking like? 

Post#21 » by El Duderino » Mon Nov 7, 2016 7:36 am

Mags FTW wrote:3) Capers. He's missing his best DBs and Matthews. He gets the closest thing to a "pass". His D forced 2 turnovers. They didn't give up the return TD, so they are only really responsible for 24 points. And they had a short field for the other long return. HOWEVER, when it's apparent that your guys are struggling you need to just go for it. This is 2 weeks in a row we died a slow death on the other team's final drive. Be aggressive.

I have my share of issues with Capers, but what game were you watching?

He sent blitzes all game long, yet the players even against a crappy offensive line couldn't get home. The players deserve blame for that. On that last drive if Clinton-Dix on the blitz raps up Luck, it's a three and out.

Indy just might have the worst line in football and the only sacks came from guys in our secondary on blitzes. Those guys on the Packers D-Line and the outside linebackers got their butts kicked by a rag tag offensive line.

Coaches certainly deserve some blame in losses, but the players need to be held accountable also. Other teams who have faced that Indy offensive line didn't need to blitz all of the time to rack up big sack totals. Their pass rushers simply whipped the Indy lineman, something our pass rushers failed to do.
HKPackFan
RealGM
And1: 10,284

Post#22 » by HKPackFan » Mon Nov 7, 2016 7:56 am

El Duderino wrote:
Mags FTW wrote:3) Capers. He's missing his best DBs and Matthews. He gets the closest thing to a "pass". His D forced 2 turnovers. They didn't give up the return TD, so they are only really responsible for 24 points. And they had a short field for the other long return. HOWEVER, when it's apparent that your guys are struggling you need to just go for it. This is 2 weeks in a row we died a slow death on the other team's final drive. Be aggressive.

He sent blitzes all game long, yet the players even against a crappy offensive line couldn't get home. The players deserve blame for that. On that last drive if Clinton-Dix on the blitz raps up Luck, it's a three and out.

Indy just might have the worst line in football and the only sacks came from guys in our secondary on blitzes. Those guys on the Packers D-Line and the outside linebackers got their butts kicked by a rag tag offensive line.

Coaches certainly deserve some blame in losses, but the players need to be held accountable also. Other teams who have faced that Indy offensive line didn't need to blitz all of the time to rack up big sack totals. Their pass rushers simply whipped the Indy lineman, something our pass rushers failed to do.

Blake Martinez gets sent on BLitz packages all the time and sucks. He just runs and gets stone walled. He has ZERO pass rush skills. A bunch of those blitzers have really no pass rush skills, they seem to hope that if we blitz more than they can cover we should be able to run into a gap and just get a sack. But as soon as someone puts a block on them, the blitz is finished.

And Nick Perry was a monster for the first month of the season and now has done NOTHING. No one could believe how unstoppable he was, now he's quiet as a mouse. Apparently they studied his tape and figured him out. He needs some counter moves. Pretty sad when your four rushers can't do anything.
#FreeChuckDiesel
Mags FTW
RealGM
And1: 7,324

Post#23 » by Mags FTW » Mon Nov 7, 2016 8:08 am

El Duderino wrote:

Being aggressive isn't just blitzing. Remember the "Psycho" package? Get nuts. Do what you need to do to disguise coverages and blitzes.
El Duderino
RealGM

Post#24 » by El Duderino » Mon Nov 7, 2016 9:34 am

Mags FTW wrote:
El Duderino wrote:

Indy just might have the worst line in football and the only sacks came from guys in our secondary on blitzes, an. Those guys on the Packers D-Line and the outside linebackers got their butts kicked by a rag tag offensive line.

Being aggressive isn't just blitzing. Remember the "Psycho" package? Get nuts. Do what you need to do to disguise coverages and blitzes.

He did. Capers did everything from 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, man rushes. Sent one safety and other times both, and from various spots.. Sometimes a safety and one or both middle backers.

Stop making excuses for the players and laying all of the blame on Capers. If the D-Line and the outside linebackers got pressure more often by themselves as most other defenses have vs that Indy line, Capers wouldn't have had to blitz so much and in turn leave less guys in coverage. Our D-Line and the outside linebackers are paid to beat crappy offensive lines like that one and not get stoned so much consistent blitzing was needed.

last week i had a problem with Capers going soft on the last drive, but today, he went after Luck and the players failed to beat those lineman as other defenses has. Coaching matters, but so do players winning their matchups.
El Duderino
RealGM

Post#25 » by El Duderino » Mon Nov 7, 2016 9:38 am

HKPackFan wrote:
And Nick Perry was a monster for the first month of the season and now has done NOTHING. No one could believe how unstoppable he was, now he's quiet as a mouse. Apparently they studied his tape and figured him out. He needs some counter moves. Pretty sad when your four rushers can't do anything.

Daniels had that nice first play bull rush and wasn't heard from after. Peppers got close once. Fackrell didn't get near Luck. Jones was hard to even know he played.

They really miss Clay.
HKPackFan
RealGM
And1: 10,284

Post#26 » by HKPackFan » Mon Nov 7, 2016 10:25 am

El Duderino wrote:
HKPackFan wrote:

Daniels had that nice first play bull rush and wasn't heard from after. Peppers got close once. Fackrell didn't get near Luck. Jones was hard to even know he played.

They really miss Clay.

Definitely miss clay. But it is a pity we have Fackrell, Peppers, Perry, Jones, Elliott and still no pass rush. Especially when that is supposed to be their strong points and Colts oline is a disaster. It does not bode well with Peppers, Perry, and Jones being free agents, and Elliott and Fackrell the replacements. I wanted to pay Perry a zillion dollars a couple weeks ago. Ugh. This is frustrating.
#FreeChuckDiesel
Mags FTW
RealGM
And1: 7,324

Post#27 » by Mags FTW » Mon Nov 7, 2016 12:27 pm

El Duderino wrote:Stop making excuses for the players and laying all of the blame on Capers.

Read my original post, and then tell me how I'm laying all of the blame on Capers. I said that he essentially gets a pass because of his missing personnel, and the special teams put his D in tough spots.
Jollay
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 661

Post#28 » by Jollay » Mon Nov 7, 2016 12:52 pm

A team with urgency played a team and an organization that hasn't had any urgency in years yesterday. That's all that happened.

Adding to the usual complaints, it is time for us to stop overrating our personnel as well. No Clay exposes a lot of that on defense, and he's now on the wrong side of 30.
raysbookclub
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,174

Post#29 » by raysbookclub » Mon Nov 7, 2016 1:28 pm

bizarro wrote: And, they are on the hot seat as far as I'm concerned. To me, this current season merely feels like a lived expression of what I've been feeling for years with these two. One heartbreaking loss after another. That is a pattern. I'm tired of this pattern.

I agree that MM is on the hot seat. That is, if the Packers don't make the playoffs, they'd think long and hard about getting a new coach. Not just because of missing the playoffs per se, but because you could make the case that would be the culmination of two years of sub-par play after the Seattle NFC Championship Game. It's possible that he lost the team that game.

Similar to what happened to Mike Sherman after the 4th-and-26 game. 2003 was that year, magical playoff run started by a miracle play by the Cardinals, Josh McCown!, to beat the Vikings and getting us in. Then, the Seattle Al Harris OT-pick 6 game. Then 4th and 26.

2004 they did alright, got into the playoffs but lost to the Vikings at Lambeau in the first round. Looked terrible more than once that season, like when they lost very badly to the Titans in October at home.

2005 they went 4-12, after TT was hired to relieve Sherman of the GM role.

Granted, Sherman was on the hot seat earlier, partly because of his very poor GM work (in his last draft, his top 100 picks were Ahmad Carroll, Joey Thomas, Donnell Washington, BJ Sander). And it'd be shocking for the Packers to go 4-12 this year, like Sherman's team did in the second season after a catastrophic playoff game.

But if the Packers miss the playoffs, they'd have to think hard about the coach. For them to miss the playoffs, that would mean they probably finished 9-7 at best, they lost to the Lions and/or Vikings, and lost games against wild-competitors like PHI and WAS. They could still turn it around, though, and being just a game out of first place, they could for sure take the division if they ramp up their play.
paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks
And1: 26,055

Post#30 » by paulpressey25 » Mon Nov 7, 2016 2:06 pm

Personally think the problem starts at the top with TT and works down.

But would like to get a glimpse of what a new face coaching could do THIS season. So I'd can McCarthy if they lose next week. Let whoever we think is the best assistant get a shot at this as interim. See what they can do the final 7 games and whether that perks up Rodgers or not.
In depth discussions here - shorter stuff on Twitter

https://twitter.com/paulpressey25
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,042

Post#31 » by ReasonablySober » Mon Nov 7, 2016 2:41 pm

Someone like Farrar or Fahey could have a field day with the All-22 film of this one. The route trees were truly something to behold.

But everyone knows the issues and McCarthy is still somehow around so, whatever.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 45,419

Post#32 » by MickeyDavis » Mon Nov 7, 2016 2:41 pm

We miss Clay in his prime. But he hasn't been prime Clay for awhile. A long while.
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
Ron Swanson
RealGM
And1: 23,686

Post#33 » by Ron Swanson » Mon Nov 7, 2016 2:55 pm

Despite how bad the offense looked for 3 and a half quarters (with Rodgers looking awful), at some point, you have to have a defense that at least has the ability to make a clutch stop. That's the one thing, whether our offense has been good or bad, that has been a constant over the years with this team. And if we're not going to allow them to play the injury excuse card anymore, then it goes for both sides of the ball.

That 96-yard drive in the 2nd half is a microcosm of what Capers' defense has been the last 5 years. Don't list the injuries for me, I know who was out. We still had more than enough personnel to not be embarrassed by an offense that was completely shut down by the Chiefs last week.

Get the **** out of here with that "tank" BS (as if tanking is even viable in the NFL). The funny thing is that somehow, someway, the Vikings are in an even bigger free fall than us and we're only a game out of 1st place. That Week 17 contest against Detroit could actually end up being for the division title...
zmanishere11
Sixth Man
And1: 242

Post#34 » by zmanishere11 » Mon Nov 7, 2016 3:09 pm

paulpressey25 wrote:Personally think the problem starts at the top with TT and works down.

But would like to get a glimpse of what a new face coaching could do THIS season. So I'd can McCarthy if they lose next week. Let whoever we think is the best assistant get a shot at this as interim. See what they can do the final 7 games and whether that perks up Rodgers or not.

It seems like the guys up top are more concerned with being competitive year to year to keep their jobs vs. winning Super Bowls. I've been hesitant to criticize Thompson, but I think it starts with him.

Contrary to his belief, it is possible to re-work your roster every year, with the present and future in mind. Just take a look at what Belicheck has done THIS YEAR in NE. It's not even rocket science, here's the formula:

1a. Don't fall in love with your own players
1b. Trade your guys who want to get paid but aren't difference makers on every down
2. Take some chances on other teams castoffs
3. Use the back end of FA to find guys you can get cheap and sign for multiple years

WE ARE NOT DOING ANY OF THIS, AND NEVER WILL UNDER TED THOMPSON

BB got a 3 (or 4) for a dude who's going to be a free agent, get $12 mil a year on average, and would rather play video games than football to a team that's 0-8 and going to be picking 1st in every round in the next draft.

Meanwhile, we're trading conditional picks for Knile Davis and signing Joquie Bell while playing NFL football games without a RB.

Until we get some actual change up top (firing Ron Zook doesn't count), this team isn't winning anything.
FAH1223
RealGM
And1: 6,970

Post#35 » by FAH1223 » Mon Nov 7, 2016 3:19 pm

MickeyDavis wrote:We miss Clay in his prime. But he hasn't been prime Clay for awhile. A long while.

He should be playing ILB full time. He is an average OLB and has been for 2-3 years now.
Rockmaninoff
General Manager
And1: 1,667

Post#36 » by Rockmaninoff » Mon Nov 7, 2016 3:39 pm

I thought it was weird that they kept running double TE between the 20's, but then going small in the red zone. I guess going small for the speed advantage, but they don't run plays to take advantage of outside space, so I don't know. They don't run in the red zone either, which makes it pretty predictable.

A good TE would do wonders.
MilBucksBackOnTop06 wrote:The fight for civil rights just like for liberty and justice and peace won't be won by man. It will take a god...so lets move on to sports.

Magic Giannison wrote:Giannis is god but even god's cannot save our **** team.
paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks
And1: 26,055

Post#37 » by paulpressey25 » Mon Nov 7, 2016 3:49 pm

zmanishere11 wrote:
Meanwhile, we're trading conditional picks for Knile Davis and signing Joquie Bell while playing NFL football games without a RB.

Personally I think Rodgers is starting the decline a 32-33 year old normal NFL QB sees (versus the superhuman guys like Brady and Peyton). Believe it highly likely though that Rodgers has reached the end of his rope with all the youth TT keeps pouring in here versus some veteran talent the Packers could have acquired.

*Yes, I would have paid Matt Forte the $9mm cap hit last summer as an example.
In depth discussions here - shorter stuff on Twitter

https://twitter.com/paulpressey25
zmanishere11
Sixth Man
And1: 242

Post#38 » by zmanishere11 » Mon Nov 7, 2016 3:56 pm

[/quote]

*Yes, I would have paid Matt Forte the $9mm cap hit last summer as an example.[/quote]

I would have too.

Instead, we're paying Jared Cook and James Starks half that.

It's been worth it hasn't it?
Jollay
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 661

Post#39 » by Jollay » Mon Nov 7, 2016 4:09 pm

I don't think the main problem is TT, but the lack of urgency and arrogance in this organization starts and finishes with him.

I was just overjoyed he even got us anything with Cook in the offseason. Happy with that, although that shows how low my expectations have sunk.

MM should go this year without the playoffs, but won't happen. Plus they'll still probably limp into the playoffs in our division the way the Vikes look. Then it's "look at the improvement!" right before the entirely predictable close playoff loss on the road.
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,664

Post#40 » by WeekapaugGroove » Mon Nov 7, 2016 4:16 pm

Ive been more forgiving of MM than most but yesterday did me in, its time to consider a change. I cant for the life of me understand what the hell he was thinking with yesterday's offensive game plan. Maybe the worst combination of personnel groupings and play calling ive ever seen. Simply inexcusable.

Sent from my SM-G930V using RealGM mobile app
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.

Return to Green Bay Packers