ImageImage

Packers 2017 NFL Draft Thread

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25, humanrefutation

Profound23
RealGM
And1: 6,570

Re: Packers 2017 NFL Draft Thread 

Post#261 » by Profound23 » Wed Mar 8, 2017 5:02 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:I like the idea of signing a handful of mid-level FAs on defense, then going heavy on offensive playmakers early in the draft.

FA:

Dontari Poe - DT
Datone Jones - OLB
Zach Brown - ILB
Dre Kirkpatrick - CB
Devon House - CB
Johnathan Cyprien - S

Draft:

1 - Bucky Hodges - TE
2 - Alvin Kamara - RB
3 - Joe Mixon - RB
4 - Dede Westbrook - WR

I honestly hate the thought of Mixon. 90% wants him no where near the NFL, but the 10% of me that sees him as a 1st round talent is nagging me this morning.

I will take all of those free agents and that 2nd round pick.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,048

Post#262 » by ReasonablySober » Wed Mar 8, 2017 5:03 pm

Mags FTW wrote:
ReasonablySober wrote:
Read on Twitter

I really do hate that I'm even considering this guy.

Look at it this way. A dbag exists. That dbag is going to keep existing. You can provide an environment to help that dbag rehabilitate himself and succeed, or you can hope that the dbag fails which may lead to a Maurice Clarett or Lawrence Phillips situation.

You may also already be rooting for a guy who will turn out to be 100x the dbag that Mixon is (see Darren Sharper).

Ahman Green, too.
BucksPackers
Analyst
And1: 599

Post#263 » by BucksPackers » Wed Mar 8, 2017 5:05 pm

What percentage of NFL players are Dbags lol. I would say 35%. Probably higher than any other sport.
Profound23
RealGM

Post#264 » by Profound23 » Wed Mar 8, 2017 5:06 pm

Very good point on Sharper, he was one of my favorites. It's just hard when you have seen it.
emunney
RealGM
And1: 36,740

Post#265 » by emunney » Wed Mar 8, 2017 7:09 pm

Mags FTW wrote:
ReasonablySober wrote:
Read on Twitter

I really do hate that I'm even considering this guy.

Look at it this way. A dbag exists. That dbag is going to keep existing. You can provide an environment to help that dbag rehabilitate himself and succeed, or you can hope that the dbag fails which may lead to a Maurice Clarett or Lawrence Phillips situation.

You may also already be rooting for a guy who will turn out to be 100x the dbag that Mixon is (see Darren Sharper).

This is kind of the "you could get hit by a bus tomorrow" mentality. It's true, but that doesn't mean you close your eyes when you cross the street.
Here are more legal notices regarding the Posts
wichmae
RealGM
And1: 1,031

Post#266 » by wichmae » Thu Mar 9, 2017 1:22 am

I just want the draft here. One of the best chill weekends of the year.
HKPackFan
RealGM
And1: 10,287

Post#267 » by HKPackFan » Thu Mar 9, 2017 4:36 am

wichmae wrote:Came across this running list of official interviews we had. Somewhat interesting.

Dalvin Cook, RB, Florida State (COM)
Julie'n Davenport, OT, Bucknell (SR)
Marlon Humphrey, CB, Alabama (COM)
Jonathan McLaughlin, OT, Virginia Tech (EW)
Fabian Moreau, CB, UCLA (EW)
T.J. Watt, 3-4OLB/OLB/ILB, Wisconsin (COM)
Joseph Williams, RB, Utah (EW)
Kolby Listenbee, WR, TCU
Cordrea Tankersley, CB, Clemson

Another Davenport? He have any laundry basket incidents?
#FreeChuckDiesel
mlloyd10
General Manager
And1: 854

Post#268 » by mlloyd10 » Thu Mar 9, 2017 2:47 pm

With Hyde leaving - I see us trading up for Peppers.
RRyder823
General Manager
And1: 4,169

Re: RE: Re: Packers 2017 NFL Draft Thread 

Post#269 » by RRyder823 » Thu Mar 9, 2017 3:06 pm

mlloyd10 wrote:With Hyde leaving - I see us trading up for Peppers.

So our #5 CB, going into last season, and our #3 Saftey leaves and that necessitates a trade up in your mind?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using RealGM mobile app
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#270 » by ReasonablySober » Thu Mar 9, 2017 3:16 pm

Last two years my draft crushes were Shaq Thompson, Su'a Cravens, Myles Jack and Deion Jones. Peppers is probably a better athlete than any of them but I don't think he's as good at football. I think I'd still take him at our pick but I don't think I'd trade up unless the cost was light.
Profound23
RealGM

Post#271 » by Profound23 » Thu Mar 9, 2017 3:17 pm

With Hyde, Lang, and Trettor leaving but retaining Perry.

I would bet we draft a cb in the 1st now and a olineman in the 2nd.

I still say draft a pass rusher in this pass rushing elite draft.

If we miss out on one of these pass rushers to draft an average corner and Perry ends up hurt while our pass rush sucks again I will not be happy.
RRyder823
General Manager
And1: 4,169

Post#272 » by RRyder823 » Thu Mar 9, 2017 4:26 pm

Profound23 wrote:With Hyde, Lang, and Trettor leaving but retaining Perry.

If we miss out on one of these pass rushers to draft an average corner and Perry ends up hurt while our pass rush sucks again I will not be happy.

With or without Perry comming back we were going to need a pass rusher

bizarro
RealGM
And1: 7,290

Post#273 » by bizarro » Thu Mar 9, 2017 4:53 pm

I don't know. And, you can call me crazy, BUT I still claim that woman (and, yes, I understand she is a woman) can simply deal with the repercussions of going at a man and flailing at his face. I know the ramifications were she violently broke her face. But, she came at Mixon. She instigated the physical contact. Not Mixon. And, though his response was clearly a bit more aggressive than needed, if I look at it in a vacuum I can understand how he would react. Unfortunate all the way around - two young kids being punks (and, it's possible Mixon and his gang were the instigators in this regard). BUT, you just don't go at a person's face w any type of violence and expect to come away clean.

My take. And, I realize it is 't popular...but I want it out there.

Edit: No, I've never hit a woman. But, I do not hold gender specific high ground. I have been in many places throughout this world where a conflict is just a conflict - man to man/ woman to man/ woman to woman/ pack of wild dogs vs family...whatever. I've seen some things that have deconstructed my American-centric views toward most things. In this case: I see two young people arguing. I see a woman rise from her seat and lunge at his face with both hands. I see him react in the moment. I see that situation end in seconds.
Profound23
RealGM

Post#274 » by Profound23 » Thu Mar 9, 2017 4:57 pm

Dede Westbrook also threw the mother of his children down the steps. No thanks to both.
emunney
RealGM
And1: 36,740

Post#275 » by emunney » Thu Mar 9, 2017 5:03 pm

Man, I just don't punch people, and that's particularly important if they're way smaller than me, which most men and almost all women are. Even if they get in my face, which they do. And it's not like I'm not basically made of rage. At 18-20, when I did punch people, I still didn't punch women. There are much better ways, even *physical* ways, to deal with someone who is not actually a threat. So that's my take, fwiw. I ain't mad atcha.

Moving on from Mixon, I am developing a strong preference for one of the TEs in round 1 (any of Howard, Engram, Hodges would be intoxicating), although I'd definitely put Reddick on par with them if he's there. Resign Cook and take a small, fast, hyper-elusive back who can catch passes in the mid-late rounds (Tarik Cohen is still my dude on this). Threaten every area of the field simultaneously. And then just boat-race the entire league. I am fine with counting on guys to grow up defensively if the offense is Starkiller Base.
Here are more legal notices regarding the Posts
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#276 » by ReasonablySober » Thu Mar 9, 2017 5:13 pm

emunney wrote:Man, I just don't punch people, and that's particularly important if they're way smaller than me, which most men and almost all women are. Even if they get in my face, which they do. And it's not like I'm not basically made of rage. At 18-20, when I did punch people, I still didn't punch women. There are much better ways, even *physical* ways, to deal with someone who is not actually a threat. So that's my take, fwiw. I ain't mad atcha.

Moving on from Mixon, I am developing a strong preference for one of the TEs in round 1 (any of Howard, Engram, Hodges would be intoxicating), although I'd definitely put Reddick on par with them if he's there. Resign Cook and take a small, fast, hyper-elusive back who can catch passes in the mid-late rounds (Tarik Cohen is still my dude on this). Threaten every area of the field simultaneously. And then just boat-race the entire league. I am fine with counting on guys to grow up defensively if the offense is Starkiller Base.

I'm surprised the Pats aren't brought up more when it comes to how TT builds the Packers. If there's one thing you can say about Belichek it's that he's never not looking for ways to get Brady proven weapons. Did it yesterday with Allen, now there's rumors of a Butler for Cooks trade. Last year it was Bennett. Amendola. Moss. Welker.

I've been annoyed with Thompson and McCarthy for years regarding this. As Rodgers enters the final years he has here, let's get him an absurd amount of weapons and boat race the rest of the league.
M-C-G
RealGM
And1: 9,368

Post#277 » by M-C-G » Thu Mar 9, 2017 5:55 pm

RRyder823 wrote:
Profound23 wrote:With Hyde, Lang, and Trettor leaving but retaining Perry.

With or without Perry comming back we were going to need a pass rusher

Getting an edge rusher and cornerback in rounds 1 & 2, sign Connor Barwin to a pretty cheap deal and move Clay into the middle and this defense gets a lot better next year IMO.
M-C-G
RealGM

Post#278 » by M-C-G » Thu Mar 9, 2017 5:57 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:
emunney wrote:Man, I just don't punch people, and that's particularly important if they're way smaller than me, which most men and almost all women are. Even if they get in my face, which they do. And it's not like I'm not basically made of rage. At 18-20, when I did punch people, I still didn't punch women. There are much better ways, even *physical* ways, to deal with someone who is not actually a threat. So that's my take, fwiw. I ain't mad atcha.

I'm surprised the Pats aren't brought up more when it comes to how TT builds the Packers. If there's one thing you can say about Belichek it's that he's never not looking for ways to get Brady proven weapons. Did it yesterday with Allen, now there's rumors of a Butler for Cooks trade. Last year it was Bennett. Amendola. Moss. Welker.

I've been annoyed with Thompson and McCarthy for years regarding this. As Rodgers enters the final years he has here, let's get him an absurd amount of weapons and boat race the rest of the league.

It literally comes up all of the time in any conversation, facebook post, tweet, message board, etc. when people talk get into a discussion about Ted Thompson. I don't follow this football board all that closely, but I am shocked to see what you wrote given the interactions I have about Ted.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#279 » by ReasonablySober » Thu Mar 9, 2017 5:58 pm

M-C-G wrote:
ReasonablySober wrote:

It literally comes up all of the time in any conversation, facebook post, tweet, message board, etc. when people talk get into a discussion about Ted Thompson. I don't follow this football board all that closely, but I am shocked to see what you wrote given the interactions I have about Ted.

Huh. I haven't heard or read a thing since Moss.
M-C-G
RealGM

Post#280 » by M-C-G » Thu Mar 9, 2017 6:02 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:
M-C-G wrote:
ReasonablySober wrote:

Huh. I haven't heard or read a thing since Moss.

As a Ted supporter, with some very anti Ted friends, I get into this discussion every single fantasy football season. FWIW, I am totally fine with people wanting Ted to sign some guys and start to go for it. My problem is that too many people fail to acknowledge how many of our guys that we are actually able to retain (this looked better when we resigned Cobb and Bulaga) and that continually playing big in FA (which has very mixed results) comes at an opportunity cost. It gets glossed over way too often and people pretend you are gong to be able to always have the best of both worlds.

Return to Green Bay Packers