'11/'12 vs. 49ers - gave up 45 points and 181 rushing yards to Kaep

Today - gave up 44 points

FIX IT
awd4cy
Analyst
And1: 1,882

Re: Falcons Post Game/Season Review 

Post#2 » by awd4cy » Sun Jan 22, 2017 11:35 pm

Next year expect more of the same. Will have tons of injuries and an awful defense once again. Wash, rinse, repeat.
paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks
And1: 25,845

Post#3 » by paulpressey25 » Sun Jan 22, 2017 11:37 pm

awd4cy wrote:Next year expect more of the same.

Yep, John Dorsey isn't coming until 2018.
In depth discussions here - shorter stuff on Twitter

https://twitter.com/paulpressey25
Matches Malone
RealGM
And1: 20,237

Post#4 » by Matches Malone » Sun Jan 22, 2017 11:37 pm

I really hope Ted retires and the next guy tries to plug the holes on D with the draft, free agency and trades if need be. Here's hoping!

Good luck ATL, I don't see you winning the big game so enjoy your moment now.
Gery Woelfel wrote:Got a time big boy?
rilamann
RealGM
And1: 13,083

Post#5 » by rilamann » Sun Jan 22, 2017 11:40 pm

It sucks to get this far as long and lose but getting blown out doesn't hurt as much as choking off a win.A game like this sucks but you can kind of live with it.

And it doesn't feel as bad just from the standpoint this might be the first time we lost a playoff game (with Rodgers) in which Rodgers wasn't the vastly superior QB.

Getting lit up by a legit MVP in Matt Ryan doesn't feel as bad as getting lit by a 80 year old Kurt Warner or a Colin **** Kaepernick.It sucks going into playoffs games in which you always have the better QB by a large margin and always lose.At least Matt Ryan is legit.

That said our defense should be embarrassed.
Giannis Antetokounmpo wrote:You're out here reffing like Marc Davis and ****
jazzfanWA
Jazz Forum GTS Champion 2018-2019
And1: 362

Post#6 » by jazzfanWA » Sun Jan 22, 2017 11:41 pm

No one really believed that this was a super bowl team. We were just hoping that Lady Luck would be smiling down.
WiscSports1
Bench Warmer
And1: 499

Post#7 » by WiscSports1 » Sun Jan 22, 2017 11:44 pm

It was honestly pretty amazing we got to the NFC Championship game with this defense. Goes to show how great Rodgers really played down the stretch.
StickeeFingaz
RealGM
And1: 6,625

Post#8 » by StickeeFingaz » Sun Jan 22, 2017 11:45 pm

Idk guys, looking like we are going to come away with 2 Super Bowls after 2 hall of fame quarterbacks. Just think, Matt Ryan could be in the same conversation as Aaron Rodgers after this year.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
#FreeChuckDiesel
rilamann
RealGM

Post#9 » by rilamann » Sun Jan 22, 2017 11:45 pm

Packers should have tried to delay the game,looked like they were still in a fog.

Ok that was bad,my bad lol
Bernman
RealGM
And1: 5,473

Post#10 » by Bernman » Sun Jan 22, 2017 11:46 pm

Mags FTW wrote:'09/'10 vs. Cardinals - gave up 45 points in regulation

FIX IT

I thought they had given up 40 against NYG. Guess it was "only" 37. Still that's more than in any game of the Brady era, which is almost twice as long, outside one game where they allowed 38. And they lost that game.

This is not to mention the late game collapses on defense/special teams against Seattle, San Fran, and Arizona. Can't get a stop, or make a fundamental play, when we need to.

Other than the Super Bowl win, one or the other has happened every playoff season. TT and co. are seriously wasting Rodgers' prime. TT shouldn't get a lifetime pass for drafting him in '05. Rodgers is still under contract without him. Too many rookies on d, 2nd year players, guys who weren't hits in the draft, not enough vets, etc. It's a poorly constructed d. Capers certainly hasn't fixed the problems in his tenure. So I see no reason to retain either.
"TRADE GIANNIS" - Magic Giannison
rilamann
RealGM

Post#11 » by rilamann » Sun Jan 22, 2017 11:47 pm

WiscSports1 wrote:It was honestly pretty amazing we got to the NFC Championship game with this defense. Goes to show how great Rodgers really played down the stretch.

Not that we didn't already know but Rodgers showed how truly great he is over this past season,but it makes things even more frustrating.

Wouldn't be hard to win a bunch of Super Bowls with him if you had a competent head coach and GM.

Again,not something we didn't already know but this season just made it more glaring or obvious I guess.
bizarro
RealGM
And1: 7,290

Post#12 » by bizarro » Sun Jan 22, 2017 11:50 pm

Well, the team kept it together for an improbable run - frankly, an amazing run - and it ended in extremely probable fashion.

Obviously, the team suffers from a significant lack of play making depth in key areas defensively. Losing Shields for the season was catastrophic. Letting a pro bowl CB leave for nothing was a complete failure given the absolute regression from those treasured TT draft picks. And, speaking for myself, it's quite easy for me to not be overly invested in this loss - you can't win big games against more talented teams on the road given injuries and lack of organizational aptitude.

Given the hindrances of the current Packers way, we can simply thank the heavens we have the genius of A-Rod to look forward to. If the Packers philosophy is flawed - and we all know it is - then embrace the fact we have an all-time great in A Rod. If we generally disagree with the Packers in coaching facets and talent acquisition - done in a manner that one could argue does not set the organization up to actually win a Super Bowl (let alone get there) - it is only sensible to change expectations as a fan. I don't expect Super Bowls given I hold these sentiments. I expect A Rod to lift the talent of everyone around him.

The Packers desperately need a version of him on defense - hell, they actually just need the 2015 version. Anywho, it could be worse...they could be the Bucks. There is always that :)
trwi7
RealGM
And1: 26,315

Post#13 » by trwi7 » Sun Jan 22, 2017 11:51 pm

The sad thing about games like this is the media narrative of "Rodgers isn't among the best ever. He only has one ring." Instead of what it should be. "Oh, now I see why Rodgers only has one ring."
stellation wrote:What's the difference between Gery Woelful and this glass of mineral water? The mineral water actually has a source."

I Hate Manure wrote:We look to be awful next season without Beasley.
Mags FTW
RealGM
And1: 7,263

Post#14 » by Mags FTW » Sun Jan 22, 2017 11:51 pm

Bernman wrote:
Mags FTW wrote:'09/'10 vs. Cardinals - gave up 45 points in regulation

FIX IT

I thought they had given up 40 against NYG. Guess it was "only" 37. Still that's more than in any game of the Brady era, which is almost twice as long, outside one game where they allowed 38. And they lost that game.

This is not to mention the late game collapses on defense/special teams against Seattle, San Fran, and Arizona. Can't get a stop, or make a fundamental play, when we need to.

Other than the Super Bowl win, one or the other has happened every playoff season. TT and co. are seriously wasting Rodgers' prime. TT shouldn't get a lifetime pass for drafting him in '05. Rodgers is still under contract without him. Too many rookies on d, 2nd year players, guys who weren't hits in the draft, not enough vets, etc. It's a poorly constructed d. Capers certainly hasn't fixed the problems in his tenure. So I see no reason to retain either.

With Rodgers' window getting smaller, the first priority is getting rid of Capers. The biggest makeover the defense can have is via a coaching change. A new GM may draft better, but those players will take 2-3 years to develop. The biggest leap can be made with a new coordinator.
rilamann
RealGM

Post#15 » by rilamann » Sun Jan 22, 2017 11:54 pm

trwi7 wrote:The sad thing about games like this is the media narrative of "Rodgers isn't among the best ever. He only has one ring." Instead of what it should be. "Oh, now I see why Rodgers only has one ring."

I better not hear one Packer fan put any blame on Rodgers for this loss.

We don't sniff the NFC championship game,check that....we don't even sniff 6-10 without Rodgers.
Ayt
RealGM
And1: 13,728

Post#16 » by Ayt » Sun Jan 22, 2017 11:55 pm

trwi7 wrote:The sad thing about games like this is the media narrative of "Rodgers isn't among the best ever. He only has one ring." Instead of what it should be. "Oh, now I see why Rodgers only has one ring."

Don't give me these lame excuses. He needs to play better defense.
bizarro
RealGM
And1: 7,290

Post#17 » by bizarro » Sun Jan 22, 2017 11:58 pm

Indeed. I mean, just imagine if A Rod had a version of the 2010 defense most seasons. Brady has never had a defense remotely as ill-equipped as Packer defenses. An absolute undeniable facet of TT and MM-led Packer teams is a significant talent gap on the defensive side of the ball. And, this comes after TT has dedicated significant draft resources that way. It is a major failure. It is a pattern. If Murphy is actually a leader, he'll make the necessary implementations.

My General inclination of thought is the Packers as an organization are simply grateful to be in the conversation each year. They like the fact they have continuity and familiarity. They also love the fact they make a **** ton of money. Honestly, I don't blame them one iota.
Bernman
RealGM
And1: 5,473

Post#18 » by Bernman » Mon Jan 23, 2017 12:00 am

jazzfanWA wrote:No one really believed that this was a super bowl team. We were just hoping that Lady Luck would be smiling down.

As wretched as the defense was, that game actually wasn't far from being a shootout that we could have won.

- Ripkowski fumbles when we're driving for a probable td, and the guy who recovers falls into the end zone for a touchback instead of winding up on the 1 yd line.

- Crosby misses a chip shot for 3.

- The Falcons recover both of their own fumbles and score td's on both. If we recovered the first we maybe should have, then we could have scored a td at the end of the half instead of them. 14 point swing and locker room feel good at 17-7 (plus getting the ball 1st), instead of dejection at 24-0.

- Receivers had the dropsies. It really derailed one drive. That could have been another score.

- Got that bogus p.i. on Burnett where he turned around and made a play on the ball, just as officials ask you to. Instead of likely getting off the field, they get a td instead.

Add it up, it easily could have made up the 23 point deficit. The margins are thin, but that had been good enough for Rodgers and co. for quite a while. Don't know that I would call it luck. Offensive precision and neutral luck I'd say. But that didn't happen today. Could have realistically kept happening to a title, but that's not something to bank on exactly as an organization when you can more reliably address the persistent defensive woes.
"TRADE GIANNIS" - Magic Giannison
WiscSports1
Bench Warmer
And1: 499

Post#19 » by WiscSports1 » Mon Jan 23, 2017 12:01 am

I wish Rodgers had some of Favre's defenses in the 90's. He'd probably have 3 rings.
Wooderson
RealGM
And1: 5,282

Post#20 » by Wooderson » Mon Jan 23, 2017 12:02 am

Too bad that Rodgers greatness masks what is otherwise a pathetic team/organization. His career will likely dwindle without ever reaching another Owl much less winning one.

Return to Green Bay Packers