ImageImage

Round 2: Pick #61 Josh Jones - Safety

Moderators: paulpressey25, MickeyDavis, humanrefutation

Mags FTW
RealGM
And1: 7,262

Re: Round 2: Pick #61 Josh Jones - Safety 

Post#41 » by Mags FTW » Mon May 1, 2017 1:24 pm

Josh Jones, S, North Carolina State (7, 8): The Cowboys drafted Chidobe Awuzie primarily as a cornerback, which made Jones the eighth safety selected. It was an all-time draft at safety, and the Packers got a good and potentially great player.
Despite his arresting size-speed numbers (6-1½, 221, 4.40), Jones was better playing in the box. He’s a little stiff in the hips, and even with the speed there are reservations about his range.

He’ll need some work playing the middle of the field. At times, he has been overly aggressive in coverage, sitting on or jumping routes and giving up big plays.
With Ha Ha Clinton-Dix patrolling deep, Jones can learn the nuances of off-the-hash coverage in time. His role appears to be as one of the two linebackers in the nickel defense and possibly as the only linebacker in the dime.
Joe Thomas (6-0½, 230) had that job last season. He can be an explosive tackler, as can Jones, but can’t even begin to cover as much ground.
It’s questionable if Jones possesses the physicality to shed a block and tackle a top running back as the lone linebacker in a 4-1 defense. What he should be able to do is blitz or spy the quarterback.

The selection of Jones could enable Morgan Burnett, if he can fend off talented youngster Kentrell Brice’s bid for at least a little playing time, to play 100% of the snaps at safety alongside Clinton-Dix.

www.jsonline.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/mcginn/2017/04/30/signing-guard-jahri-evans-gave-packers-gm-ted-thompson-flexibility-draft/101126314/
jimmybones
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,672

Post#42 » by jimmybones » Tue May 2, 2017 2:56 pm

My favorite pick. Seems like the perfect hybrid we've wanted. I love hearing them talk about using him as essentially an ILB. Whether you call him an ILB/ 3rd safety/ 5th or 6th DB, I don't care, he's more talented and athletic than any one else we've had at ILB or hybrid.
M-C-G
RealGM
And1: 9,357

Post#43 » by M-C-G » Tue May 2, 2017 7:05 pm

jimmybones wrote:My favorite pick. Seems like the perfect hybrid we've wanted. I love hearing them talk about using him as essentially an ILB. Whether you call him an ILB/ 3rd safety/ 5th or 6th DB, I don't care, he's more talented and athletic than any one else we've had at ILB or hybrid.

Seeing how we decide to use this guy is really exciting. Feels like this guy could be a difference maker type player.
jimmybones
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,672

Post#44 » by jimmybones » Wed May 3, 2017 7:15 pm

Yup. It seems to me that it's not often that we have guys that are the elite physical specimen freaks with the size and athleticism combo. And the ones we do have usually aren't that good at football. Hopefully this guy is because he certainly has the measurables.
Mags FTW
RealGM
And1: 7,262

Post#45 » by Mags FTW » Thu May 4, 2017 12:25 am

I'd like to see him put on a little more weight if he's going to be the pseudo ILB. He looks a little skinny for his height.
CheeseKnuckles
Ballboy
And1: 1

Post#46 » by CheeseKnuckles » Thu May 4, 2017 2:00 pm

One can only hope they really do plan to use him as this hybrid style player. I liked Thomas in that role, but he can clearly be upgraded. Jones most definitely deserves a shot at that ILB hybrid position for both nickel and dime situations.
bdpecore
Assistant Coach
And1: 573

Post#47 » by bdpecore » Fri May 5, 2017 1:43 pm

Mags FTW wrote:I'd like to see him put on a little more weight if he's going to be the pseudo ILB. He looks a little skinny for his height.

I don't see him playing in the box much to start out. Burnett would be the better fit there with Jones sliding over to take Morgan's spot at SS. Jones will likely be our primary coverage safety.
Ron Swanson
RealGM
And1: 23,365

Post#48 » by Ron Swanson » Fri May 5, 2017 4:08 pm

Hoping he's our future Kam Chancellor. Will be interesting to see what we do with Burnett once his contract is up.
RRyder823
General Manager
And1: 4,149

Post#49 » by RRyder823 » Fri May 5, 2017 9:13 pm

Just saw a tweet about him being used at ILB. Would be nice to be able to let Burnett and Ha Ha patrol deep.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using RealGM mobile app

Return to Green Bay Packers