Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25, humanrefutation

Gianstoppable
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,630

Re: Round 3, Pick #93 - Montravius Adams -DT 

Post#41 » by Gianstoppable » Sat Apr 29, 2017 1:46 pm

Profound23 wrote:
Gianstoppable wrote:
xTitan wrote:Sounds like a typical Auburn tackle, lots of God given talent, lazy as hell, under achiever....bust in the making.......still hasn't addressed the urgent need of a pass rusher....I wanted Biegel,believe he will be better than Watt.....but would've taken any edge rusher who could've possibly contributed

Why do you think Biegel will be better than Watt? If Biegel gained a bunch more muscle and got better footwork maybe, but I think he basically turns into an average NFL player at best. Who knows though

I think they both turn into an average NFL player at best, so it's better to get one in the later rounds than the 1st.

Its hard to tell since Watt has only been playing linebacker since 2015, I think hes easily the better player going forward, IMO
#FreeChuckDiesel
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,663

Post#42 » by WeekapaugGroove » Sat Apr 29, 2017 2:11 pm

For those that are saying they should have went edge rusher here unless you specifically wanted Trey Hendrix all of the other edge guys who were available are still available with 108. Knowing they had that extra pick from the trade down might have lead to them taking a swing on adams instead of picking for need at olb.

And for the get better play out of the mlb crowd a great way to do that is to be better on the dline.

Now none of that will matter if adams sucks but he does seem to have some upside and natural ability. Hope his head is on straight and they can coach him up.

Sent from my SM-G930V using RealGM mobile app
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
Frank Nova
Head Coach
And1: 2,562

Post#43 » by Frank Nova » Sat Apr 29, 2017 2:19 pm

love this pick. I'm all about big space eater DL's. If we don't run him to death like Auburn did and utilize him properly, he's going to be a monster. He played on average 74 snaps per game as a senior and actually made a huge leap from junior to senior year. We are gonna use him more like 30-35 snaps a game and he's gonna make things easier for players like Daniels, Clark, Ryan, Martinez and Thomas. What good DLine doesn't have a big space eater on it? And what big monster DT plays an entire game eating up double teams and finishes stronger than he started? That's a rather implausible thing to ask of anyone.

I believe this dude struggled more with fatigue from being overused more than having a questionable motor. But I guess when you're a 5 star recruit and you don't really shine until your senior year there will always be question marks. If Adams had a junior year like his senior year then he's a top 20 pick so I get the concerns but in my opinion, there's more to be excited than concerned with him. 6'4" 300+lbs with 4.8 speed, quick strong hands and 22 bench reps shows the upper body strength he has.

I'm absolutely loving this draft so far. Potential shut down corner, joker/monster style safety and now a space eater DT. Oh hell yeah. 4 more picks in these 1st 2 rounds today so let's keep this going! Consider me tickled pink.
RIP Kobe Forever. GOAT 8-24. Long Live Giannis
midranger
RealGM
And1: 10,027

Post#44 » by midranger » Sat Apr 29, 2017 2:22 pm

I think he'll play end in base and we'll play a ton of 2 linemen set where he will have every opportunity to shine. Good straight line speed, shortish arms, stiff. I'll give him a chance. Why not? He's already ours.
Please reconsider your animal consumption.
Profound23
RealGM
And1: 6,533

Post#45 » by Profound23 » Sat Apr 29, 2017 2:52 pm

WeekapaugGroove wrote:For those that are saying they should have went edge rusher here unless you specifically wanted Trey Hendrix all of the other edge guys who were available are still available with 108. Knowing they had that extra pick from the trade down might have lead to them taking a swing on adams instead of picking for need at olb.

And for the get better play out of the mlb crowd a great way to do that is to be better on the dline.

Now none of that will matter if adams sucks but he does seem to have some upside and natural ability. Hope his head is on straight and they can coach him up.

At this point In the draft if we were going DT, I think Carlos Watkins was the better pick. Yeah, he is still there but I don't see us doubling down on dlineman with our needs at other positions.
Mags FTW
RealGM
And1: 7,312

Post#46 » by Mags FTW » Mon May 1, 2017 1:27 pm

Montravius Adams, DT, Auburn (5, 7): Teams didn’t like what they saw from Adams in his first two seasons as a starter. Like a lot of athletic defensive linemen, his effort level ran hot and cold.
As a senior, Adams went from underachiever to achiever. He was named the Tigers’ MVP. There was nothing the matter with his intensity.
Adams’ flashes show dominance. He gets off the ball in a hurry, as Jerel Worthy once did at Michigan State, and was able to overpower some blockers in the SEC for sacks and tackles for loss.

Worthy’s inability to beat NFL guards became apparent 10 days to two weeks into his first Packers’ training camp. He also was too easily buckled at the point of attack. He was a bust.
Adams is stronger and a little bigger than Worthy. His problem at the point is lack of awareness. By the time he recognizes the blocking combination, the double-team is in place and he’s being washed down.
Having lost inside rushers such as Julius Peppers, Datone Jones and Mike Neal in the past year, the Packers drafted Adams to back up Mike Daniels at 3-technique in the 3-4 and possibly join him inside on passing downs.
Adams has the stuff you can’t teach. It’s up to Mike Trgovac, the veteran position coach, to develop his reactions and footwork.

www.jsonline.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/mcginn/2017/04/30/signing-guard-jahri-evans-gave-packers-gm-ted-thompson-flexibility-draft/101126314/
raysbookclub
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,171

Post#47 » by raysbookclub » Mon May 1, 2017 9:29 pm

A couple articles hyping Montravius after the Senior Bowl.

“Adams looked like a man amongst boys (at practice),” Tony Pauline of Draft Analyst wrote. “He was unstoppable and ran over anyone who tried to block him. … Adams proved one thing during three days of Senior Bowl practice — when he wants to play, he’s unstoppable. He offers the size, growth potential and power to be a dominant force on Sunday.”

https://www.seccountry.com/auburn/montravius-adams-senior-bowl-nfl-draft-2017

http://www.al.com/auburnfootball/index.ssf/2017/01/auburns_montravius_adams_draws.html
Balls2TheWalls
RealGM
And1: 3,606

Post#48 » by Balls2TheWalls » Mon May 1, 2017 11:53 pm

I recommend anyone who wants to see true growth of a player, watch Adams last season against LSU (2015), this season against LSU (2016), and then at the Senior Bowl. You can see him getting caked on the regular against LSU in 2015. You see him stout at the point of attack in 2016 with some dominating plays. You see him look completely unblockable in the Senior Bowl.
SupremeHustle wrote:Salmons might shoot us out of games, but SJAX shoots people out of parking lots. Think about it.
M-C-G
RealGM
And1: 9,368

Post#49 » by M-C-G » Tue May 2, 2017 7:08 pm

books wrote:A couple articles hyping Montravius after the Senior Bowl.

“Adams looked like a man amongst boys (at practice),” Tony Pauline of Draft Analyst wrote. “He was unstoppable and ran over anyone who tried to block him. … Adams proved one thing during three days of Senior Bowl practice — when he wants to play, he’s unstoppable. He offers the size, growth potential and power to be a dominant force on Sunday.”

http://www.al.com/auburnfootball/index.ssf/2017/01/auburns_montravius_adams_draws.html

I like. It reminds me of that super brief window when Harrell came back after doing yoga all off season and was actually healthy for a few games before his back went out...It was like, holy hell, great to finally meet you Justin!

Also glad we have a Daniels like guy to keep on these young guys.
bdpecore
Assistant Coach
And1: 573

Post#50 » by bdpecore » Wed May 3, 2017 1:48 pm

M-C-G wrote:
books wrote:A couple articles hyping Montravius after the Senior Bowl.

I like. It reminds me of that super brief window when Harrell came back after doing yoga all off season and was actually healthy for a few games before his back went out...It was like, holy hell, great to finally meet you Justin!

Also glad we have a Daniels like guy to keep on these young guys.

I think this is an underrated aspect of this pick. Daniels is a pretty intense guy and should help keep Adams focused and motivated. Clark's strong work ethic should also keep him on his toes since one or the other will likely be getting the majority of snaps in our nickel and dime packages. Ideally, both show up and we have a solid 3 man rotation to keep all three fresh to close out games and heading into the playoffs.
CheeseKnuckles
Ballboy
And1: 1

Post#51 » by CheeseKnuckles » Thu May 4, 2017 2:05 pm

One of the biggest things IMO will be the cut in snaps this kid sees. The guy averaged 70 some snaps a game, I'd have to assume that will be cut in half in GB. Much easier to keep the motor running high as a big man when you aren't completely gased.

Also I like the point of having him around a guy like Daniels.
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,663

Re: RE: Re: Round 3, Pick #93 - Montravius Adams -DT 

Post#52 » by WeekapaugGroove » Thu May 4, 2017 5:50 pm

CheeseKnuckles wrote:One of the biggest things IMO will be the cut in snaps this kid sees. The guy averaged 70 some snaps a game, I'd have to assume that will be cut in half in GB. Much easier to keep the motor running high as a big man when you aren't completely gased.

Also I like the point of having him around a guy like Daniels.

This is a good point and the insane number of snaps dlinemen play in college makes judging effort a problem in general. In the nfl you will always be in a rotation. Now some guys will dog it no matter if they play 10 or 70 snaps but for some it is a simple fatigue issue.

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
Profound23
RealGM
And1: 6,533

Post#53 » by Profound23 » Mon Jul 31, 2017 2:41 pm

Remember how we didn't draft Kendell Beckwith because we wanted someone who would be ready for day 1.

Return to Green Bay Packers