ImageImage

Draft Grades Thread...

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25, humanrefutation

wichmae
RealGM
And1: 1,031

Draft Grades Thread... 

Post#1 » by wichmae » Sun Apr 30, 2017 12:52 am

Truthfully I think grading stuff at this point is silly but we usually have one of these threads every year.

Round 2, pick 1 (#33 overall, from Browns): CB Kevin King, Washington
Round 2, pick 29 (#61): S Josh Jones, NC State
Round 3, pick 29 (#93): DT Montravius Adams, Auburn
Round 4, pick 1 (#108, from Browns): OLB Vince Biegel, Wisconsin
Round 4, pick 27 (#134): RB Jamaal Williams, BYU
Round 5, pick 31 (#175, from Broncos): WR DeAngelo Yancey, Purdue
Round 5, pick 38 (#182, compensatory pick): RB Aaron Jones, UTEP
Round 6, pick 28 (#212): OL Kofi Amichia, USF
Round 7, pick 20 (#238, from Broncos): RB Devante Mays, Utah State
Round 7, pick 29 (#247): WR Malachi Dupre, LSU

Green Bay Packers (Chad Reuter via NFL.com)
Draft picks: Kevin King (No. 33 overall), Josh Jones (No. 61 overall), Montravius Adams (No. 93 overall), Vince Biegel (No. 108 overall), Jamaal Williams (No. 134 overall), DeAngelo Yancey (No. 175 overall), Aaron Jones (No. 182 overall), Kofi Amichia (No. 212 overall), Devante Mays (No. 238 overall), Malachi Dupre (No. 247 overall)
Day 1 grade: A
Day 2 grade: A
Day 3 grade: C
Overall grade: B+
The skinny: The Browns presented Green Bay excellent value in a trade out of the first round, so the Packers took it. Instead of trading down for more picks, Ted Thompson stayed put and got the difference-making cornerback he needed in Kevin King. Then they selected safety Josh Jones, who will play in the Micah Hyde role for the Packers despite being a solid 220 pounds. Bulking up the defensive line with Montravius Adams is a big help, as he can play nose tackle or five-technique. He's an excellent value at No. 93.

On Day 3, Green Bay continued to improve the defense. Vince Biegel is a solid inside/outside linebacker, which they needed. They also found an excellent replacement for power back Eddie Lacy in Jamaal Williams, and then hit the position twice more with UTEP's Aaron Jones and Devante Mays. That's probably overkill for a position where there will be plenty of undrafted free agents available. Receiver DeAngelo Yancey was one of the hottest names among prospects who weren't invited to the combine this year.
Sky Bucks
Sixth Man
And1: 1,357

Re: Draft Grades Thread... 

Post#2 » by Sky Bucks » Sun Apr 30, 2017 1:11 am

I won't give it a grade per se, but i do feel like Ted did a very good job with this draft and I am excited for what these guys will bring to the table.

A
#Make'em Believe On Wisconsin
Profound23
RealGM
And1: 6,587

Post#3 » by Profound23 » Sun Apr 30, 2017 1:23 am

I won't grade it for a few years. Just because I would have done differently doesn't mean his way is wrong. I will give our guys a chance. I like that he traded down instead of taking King in the 1st, without that we don't have Biegel.
Mags FTW
RealGM
And1: 7,327

Post#4 » by Mags FTW » Sun Apr 30, 2017 1:33 am

I hated Day 3. Way too much offense for me.
jakecronus8
RealGM
And1: 7,276

Post#5 » by jakecronus8 » Sun Apr 30, 2017 1:37 am

More than one running back seems weird to me. Feels like we missed out on some talented defenders.
Do it for Chuck
Iheartfootball
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,178

Post#6 » by Iheartfootball » Sun Apr 30, 2017 1:47 am

I'm gonna go between an A and a D+.

In that specific range.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
Profound23
RealGM
And1: 6,587

Post#7 » by Profound23 » Sun Apr 30, 2017 1:49 am

jakecronus8 wrote:More than one running back seems weird to me. Feels like we missed out on some talented defenders.

Almost like our scouts were unsure so they just drafted a bunch of them in order to fight it out in camp. Hopefully at least one emerges as a true starting caliber back.

I think the main talent we might have drafted would have been either WR or OL and we have a log jam at WR comparable or better than what was available and a lot of the offensive lineman can still be had via UDFA.
wichmae
RealGM
And1: 1,031

Post#8 » by wichmae » Sun Apr 30, 2017 1:52 am

Green Bay Packers
Grade: A+

Yes to everything on this board. They added two of the best secondary players in this draft in the second round, a perfect fit for them in the middle of their line in Montravius Adams in the third round, a high-floor outside linebacker in Vince Biegel and three really good running backs — Aaron Jones could be a stud. Don't sleep on Malachi Dupre, pick No. 247, either.
Brian Spurlock Brian Spurlock-USA TODAY Sports
Frank Nova
Head Coach
And1: 2,580

Post#9 » by Frank Nova » Sun Apr 30, 2017 2:38 am

This draft is an A for me. Only 2 question marks for me are Mays and Amichia and I won't complain about 6th and 7th round picks. I personally would've taken a chance on Caleb Brantley that late in the draft but I totally understand why we wouldn't/didn't. We got immediate contributors on all 3 levels on D and I'm confident 1 of Williams or Jones emerges as the feature RB. I'm not sold on Monty being the full time RB, I think 1 supplants him as the starter. Plus Yancey and Dupre both seem like candidates to make the roster over Trevor Davis. I really think our boy Teddy just knocked it out of the park this weekend.
RIP Kobe Forever. GOAT 8-24. Long Live Giannis
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,673

Re: RE: Re: Draft Grades Thread... 

Post#10 » by WeekapaugGroove » Sun Apr 30, 2017 2:39 am

Profound23 wrote:
jakecronus8 wrote:More than one running back seems weird to me. Feels like we missed out on some talented defenders.

Almost like our scouts were unsure so they just drafted a bunch of them in order to fight it out in camp. Hopefully at least one emerges as a true starting caliber back.

I think the main talent we might have drafted would have been either WR or OL and we have a log jam at WR comparable or better than what was available and a lot of the offensive lineman can still be had via UDFA.

Theres probably some truth to this. I think they wanted competition in camp at rb. Can't see all three making the roster but you never know and injuries have a way of clearing up log jams at any position but especially rb. Plus you can usually sneak a drafted rb onto your practice squad since its a deep position across the NFL.

Sent from my SM-G930V using RealGM mobile app
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
HKPackFan
RealGM
And1: 10,337

Post#11 » by HKPackFan » Sun Apr 30, 2017 4:13 am

Speed and defense were sorely lacking on this team, it was obvious in the Atlanta playoff game. TT addressed it, and we restock RB position, only need 1 to be a home run. Got hopefully a stud at LB.

No complaints.
#FreeChuckDiesel
sdn40
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,418

Post#12 » by sdn40 » Sun Apr 30, 2017 5:07 am

Would have liked to see a center prospect taken instead of one of the rb's. Right now I think Barclay is the backup center (not a good thing), Linsley has been injured and also is in the last year of his contract. Should have paid the versatile Tretter.
We have lost Sitton and Lang and Tretter in the last 2 years and added a 34 year old Evans to a one year deal. Lane Taylor is also in the final year of his deal.
I'm sure TT has a plan of some sort, but it isn't like him to let the cupboard get so bare on the OL.
DrWood
Head Coach
And1: 2,383

Post#13 » by DrWood » Sun Apr 30, 2017 5:13 am

At least three of the guys drafted will produce nothing for the team. As long as those guys aren't in the first three rounds, we're golden.

every grade I've seen on the internet is between a B and and A for the pack.
DrWood
Head Coach
And1: 2,383

Post#14 » by DrWood » Sun Apr 30, 2017 5:15 am

Anyone think Capers might do some weird packages with Burnett and Jones both playing combo safety/LB roles?
sdn40
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,418

Post#15 » by sdn40 » Sun Apr 30, 2017 5:20 am

DrWood wrote:Anyone think Capers might do some weird packages with Burnett and Jones both playing combo safety/LB roles?

At this point if he can find a way not to give up 35+ points to every team with a viable qb I'd be shocked. I'm convinced personnel doesn't matter. He will find a way to overcome it
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,673

Re: RE: Re: Draft Grades Thread... 

Post#16 » by WeekapaugGroove » Sun Apr 30, 2017 5:46 am

DrWood wrote:Anyone think Capers might do some weird packages with Burnett and Jones both playing combo safety/LB roles?

Oh yeah. I think jones and Burnett will play a ton of LB. Jones is physically very close to Buchanon for AZ and i think they will use him in a similar way.

Sent from my SM-G930V using RealGM mobile app
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
Jollay
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 661

Post#17 » by Jollay » Sun Apr 30, 2017 12:13 pm

Pretty happy. Would have to go A- and at worst B plus.

Really boils down to King though. If he becomes a legit starter all the rest is gravy. If he doesn't I doubt the rest of the draft overcomes that.
paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks
And1: 26,074

Post#18 » by paulpressey25 » Sun Apr 30, 2017 2:12 pm

Would love to see at least two reputable consistent graders of the Packers draft from each of the last four years. See what they got on draft day versus what it turned out to be.
In depth discussions here - shorter stuff on Twitter

https://twitter.com/paulpressey25
HKPackFan
RealGM
And1: 10,337

Post#19 » by HKPackFan » Sun Apr 30, 2017 2:16 pm

If king and Jones, biegel and 1of the RBs work out. It's a good draft. Those are the picks I'm really counting on.
#FreeChuckDiesel
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,072

Post#20 » by ReasonablySober » Sun Apr 30, 2017 2:29 pm

Hmmm

Round 2 Pick 7 (NYJ): Kevin King, CB, Washington (A)
Round 2 Pick 29: Josh Jones, SS, NC State (A-)
Round 3 Pick 6 (NYJ): Montravius Adams, DT, Auburn (A-)
Round 3 Pick 29: Vince Biegel, OLB, Wisconsin (B-)
Round 4 Pick 27: Jamaal Williams, RB, Brigham Young (B+)
Round 5 Pick 28: Aaron Jones, RB, Texas-El Paso (C-)
Round 5 Pick 38 (COMP): Kofi Amichia, OG, South Florida (D)

Return to Green Bay Packers