McCarthy TOP 5 NFL HC according to NFC reporters 

Post#1 » by HKPackFan » Thu Jul 6, 2017 5:29 am

#FreeChuckDiesel
rilamann
RealGM
And1: 13,306

Re: McCarthy TOP 5 NFL HC according to NFC reporters 

Post#2 » by rilamann » Sun Jul 9, 2017 12:27 am

These same reporters will probably tell you why Clay Matthews is a top 5 linebacker in their next article...lol.

All I know this,to have a QB the caliber of Aaron Rodgers for 9 seasons and only appear in 1 Super Bowl in that 9 year span is comical.Especially when you take into account that there hasn't been some perennial unbeatable dynasty team in the NFC (like the Pats in the AFC) holding them back in that span.When Aaron Rodgers retires,not with 1 ring,but only 1 Super Bowl appearance we will have to bring up names like Colin Kaepernick,Carson Palmer and a geriatric Kurt Warner....after we bring up Mike McCarthy of course.

If Mike McCarthy is a top 5 NFL head coach,then Aaron Rodgers is incredibly overrated.
Giannis Antetokounmpo wrote:You're out here reffing like Marc Davis and ****
rilamann
RealGM

Post#3 » by rilamann » Sun Jul 9, 2017 12:40 am

And for the record so my comment doesn't get misconstrue,do I actually think Rodgers is overrated?

jakecronus8
RealGM
And1: 7,276

Post#4 » by jakecronus8 » Sun Jul 9, 2017 1:50 pm

Mac is in the discussion after Belichick for best coach in the league.

ETA: Belichik is in a tier by himself. Tier 2 for me would be McCarthy, Reid, Harbaugh and Tomlin, not necessarily in that order.
Do it for Chuck
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,673

Post#5 » by WeekapaugGroove » Tue Jul 11, 2017 5:59 pm

It's all about how you define a good head coach. I think MM runs a good program, guys like playing for him, and he's a good offensive mind. His game day decision making leaves something to be desired though.

Sent from my SM-G930V using RealGM mobile app
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
El Duderino
RealGM
And1: 1,326

Post#6 » by El Duderino » Tue Jul 11, 2017 7:25 pm

The Packers clear biggest problem for awhile now has been on the defensive side of the ball.

Who to blame for that IMO is a mix of McCarthy refusing to try a different defensive coordinator and Ted Thompson blowing way to many defensive draft picks in first 3-4 rounds.

For as great as Brady has been, if his defensive got lit up for 40 plus points as often as Rodgers has in the playoffs, Brady wouldn't have as many rings.

Teams can reach the Super Bowl with just a decent defense if their offense is great, but they rarely get there with a bad defense.
rilamann
RealGM

Post#7 » by rilamann » Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:46 pm

WeekapaugGroove wrote:It's all about how you define a good head coach. I think MM runs a good program, guys like playing for him, and he's a good offensive mind. His game day decision making leaves something to be desired though.

Sent from my SM-G930V using RealGM mobile app

Monday through Saturday (when the Packers aren't playing MNF or TNF) McCarthy is a decent coach,I'll give him that.

But he's easily one of the worst coaches in the league on game day and he gets even worse in big games.Rodgers only playing in one Super Bowl at this point in his career is a travesty,yet when I look at Mike McCarthy I'm still floored that he even got the one that he got.

Aaron Rodgers retiring with 1 ring if he plays out the remainder of his career with Mike McCarthy might be the safest bet in the NFL.
rilamann
RealGM

Post#8 » by rilamann » Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:49 pm

El Duderino wrote:The Packers clear biggest problem for awhile now has been on the defensive side of the ball.

Who to blame for that IMO is a mix of McCarthy refusing to try a different defensive coordinator and Ted Thompson blowing way to many defensive draft picks in first 3-4 rounds.

For as great as Brady has been, if his defensive got lit up for 40 plus points as often as Rodgers has in the playoffs, Brady wouldn't have as many rings.

Teams can reach the Super Bowl with just a decent defense if their offense is great, but they rarely get there with a bad defense.

Our defense has been bad for a long time and it's been a factor,that's why TT gets some blame too and is an overrated GM.

But the 2014 NFC Championship game proved that even if our defense plays great,McCarthy will still **** it up.I still can't believe we only scored 6 points off 5 turnovers in that game....lol.

And if I remember correctly the Packers started in scoring position on 4 of the turnovers, the only one they didn't was the one where all that stood between the Packers and a 26-7 lead and trip to the Super Bowl was 50 yards of open field, but Burnett decided to slide to appease his gutless head coach.
El Duderino
RealGM
And1: 1,326

Post#9 » by El Duderino » Tue Jul 11, 2017 11:51 pm

rilamann wrote:
El Duderino wrote:The Packers clear biggest problem for awhile now has been on the defensive side of the ball.

Our defense has been bad for a long time and it's been a factor,that's why TT gets some blame too and is an overrated GM.

But the 2014 NFC Championship game proved that even if our defense plays great,McCarthy will still **** it up.I still can't believe we only scored 6 points off 5 turnovers in that game....lol.

And if I remember correctly the Packers started in scoring position on 4 of the turnovers, the only one they didn't was the one where all that stood between the Packers and a 26-7 lead and trip to the Super Bowl was 50 yards of open field, but Burnett decided to slide to appease his gutless head coach.

Come on, that loss was on a myriad of people.

Rodgers could have put that game away multiple times in the first half, but he turned the ball over and missed wide open throws on the Seattle side of the field. That was easily his worst playoff game.

After playing great for 3 1/2 quarters, the defense fell apart when the game got close.

On that pick by Burnett, Peppers for some inexplicable reason put his hand up telling Burnett to go down and Burnett listened.

On the two point play to put Seattle up three instead of two with about a minute left, Clinton-Dix somehow managed to twist himself in knots as a dying long floater across the field by Wilson was in the air forever, allowing for a two point reception which 99 out of 100 other times, he knocks the ball down with ease. On the Packers next drive, Crosby makes a tying FG instead of what should have been a game winner. That play is forgotten, bothers me more than most others. The late drive and Crosby's FG should have been a long remembered sequence in Packer history had Dix not butchered the two point reception.

Brandon Bostic turned into Brandon Bostic at the worst possible time.

If you want to blame that loss all on McCarthy, you'd have to be one of those annoying people out there who regularly make excuses for the failings of others who screw up in various walks of life when the opportunity is there to do something about it.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 45,493

Post#10 » by MickeyDavis » Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:49 pm

Greg Jennings trashed McCarthy on Undisputed today.
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
HKPackFan
RealGM
And1: 10,333

Post#11 » by HKPackFan » Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:14 am

MickeyDavis wrote:Greg Jennings trashed McCarthy on Undisputed today.

i dont watch those talk shows but how often do former players trash talk about their coaches?
#FreeChuckDiesel
crkone
RealGM
And1: 9,335

Post#12 » by crkone » Thu Jul 13, 2017 12:05 pm

Coach Mike McCarthy would not put the team on his back after they got a lead, according to former Green Bay Packers wide receiver Greg Jennings.

Jennings was on Fox Sports "Undisputed" on Wednesday, and while discussing why the Packers have only won one Super Bowl with Aaron Rodgers at quarterback, Jennings pointed to how McCarthy handles leads as a key reason.

"If we had a lead, our issue wasn't the defense, our issue was Mike McCarthy—cause he would cuff us," Jennings said.

He went on to compare McCarthy's approach to New England Patriots coach Bill Belichick, saying the Patriots "go for your throat" when they get ahead.

However, Jennings was speaking about the season after the Packers won the Super Bowl—when they won their first 13 games.

Green Bay went on to go 15-1 in 2011 and lost to the New York Giants in the Divisional Round. In the two games the Packers lost that season, they didn't hold a lead at any point in either one.

In 2012, Jennings' final year in Green Bay, the team went 11-5 before falling to the San Francisco 49ers in the Divisional Round. In that year, the Packers lost three games in which they had the lead, but it's hard to blame McCarthy for all of those.

They lost to the Seattle Seahawks in the infamous "Fail Mary Game," after going up 12-7 in the fourth quarter, but the Packers only had the ball one more time after gaining the lead. And that final possession started with less than two minutes on the clock, so it was obviously a situation where a team would try to milk the clock instead of going for another score. They also led the 49ers 7-0 and 14-7 in their playoff game, but they never had possession of the ball with the lead during that game.

The only instance in his final years with the Packers where Jennings' theory holds true was a Week 5 loss to the Indianapolis Colts when Green Bay jumped ahead 21-3 before halftime and then lost 30-27.

There is also the 2015 NFC Championship Game, when the Packers went up 16-0 on the Seahawks, and lost 28-22 in overtime, but that was well after Jennings left.

There might be something to this idea that McCarthy doesn't help his team hold leads like Belichick, but that wasn't the case while Jennings was there post-Super Bowl.

Jennings played seven seasons for the Packers before spending two years with the Minnesota Vikings and one year with the Miami Dolphins.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2017/07/12/greg-jennings-mike-mccarthy-green-bay-packers-undisputed

Code: Select all

o- - -  \o          __|
   o/   /|          vv`\
  /|     |              |
   |    / \_            |
  / \   |               |
 /  |                   |
HKPackFan
RealGM
And1: 10,333

Post#13 » by HKPackFan » Thu Jul 13, 2017 12:46 pm

crkone wrote:
Coach Mike McCarthy would not put the team on his back after they got a lead, according to former Green Bay Packers wide receiver Greg Jennings.

Jennings was on Fox Sports "Undisputed" on Wednesday, and while discussing why the Packers have only won one Super Bowl with Aaron Rodgers at quarterback, Jennings pointed to how McCarthy handles leads as a key reason.

"If we had a lead, our issue wasn't the defense, our issue was Mike McCarthy—cause he would cuff us," Jennings said.

He went on to compare McCarthy's approach to New England Patriots coach Bill Belichick, saying the Patriots "go for your throat" when they get ahead.

However, Jennings was speaking about the season after the Packers won the Super Bowl—when they won their first 13 games.

Green Bay went on to go 15-1 in 2011 and lost to the New York Giants in the Divisional Round. In the two games the Packers lost that season, they didn't hold a lead at any point in either one.

In 2012, Jennings' final year in Green Bay, the team went 11-5 before falling to the San Francisco 49ers in the Divisional Round. In that year, the Packers lost three games in which they had the lead, but it's hard to blame McCarthy for all of those.

They lost to the Seattle Seahawks in the infamous "Fail Mary Game," after going up 12-7 in the fourth quarter, but the Packers only had the ball one more time after gaining the lead. And that final possession started with less than two minutes on the clock, so it was obviously a situation where a team would try to milk the clock instead of going for another score. They also led the 49ers 7-0 and 14-7 in their playoff game, but they never had possession of the ball with the lead during that game.

The only instance in his final years with the Packers where Jennings' theory holds true was a Week 5 loss to the Indianapolis Colts when Green Bay jumped ahead 21-3 before halftime and then lost 30-27.

There is also the 2015 NFC Championship Game, when the Packers went up 16-0 on the Seahawks, and lost 28-22 in overtime, but that was well after Jennings left.

There might be something to this idea that McCarthy doesn't help his team hold leads like Belichick, but that wasn't the case while Jennings was there post-Super Bowl.

Jennings played seven seasons for the Packers before spending two years with the Minnesota Vikings and one year with the Miami Dolphins.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2017/07/12/greg-jennings-mike-mccarthy-green-bay-packers-undisputed

So there might be some truth to what he's saying in General, but while with the team it was BS and he's talking out of his ass like most media types.
#FreeChuckDiesel
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 45,493

Post#14 » by MickeyDavis » Thu Jul 13, 2017 5:05 pm

What he said is what many on here have said about McCarthy. But I don't understand the need for him to do so. He got caught up in Skippyland.
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
Profound23
RealGM
And1: 6,582

Post#15 » by Profound23 » Sun Jul 16, 2017 4:29 pm

Have to agree since it says NFC and not NFL.

However, a lot of the coaches in the NFC are either very bad or too new to put above McCarthy yet.

Carroll, Rivera, Arians, Quinn, and Mike probably

Return to Green Bay Packers