ATL: Training Camp - Zeke Suspended for 6

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25, humanrefutation

MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 45,330

Re: ATL: Training Camp - Zeke Suspended for 6 

Post#161 » by MickeyDavis » Wed Sep 6, 2017 5:21 pm

I figured he'd get 4 and return for the Packer game.
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
RRyder823
General Manager
And1: 4,167

Re: RE: Re: ATL: Training Camp - Zeke Suspended for 6 

Post#162 » by RRyder823 » Wed Sep 6, 2017 6:27 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:
RRyder823 wrote:
dietac wrote:I'm a little surprised it wasn't reduced to something like 4 games. It seems like that's the way these things work... in MLB at least.

In past seasons sure. You'd be correct. But with Ray Rice still being fresh in people's minds anything to do with domestic violence will be shown the maximum penalty so the league isn't shown as soft against it and with the Brady case last year precedent has been set were Goodell has absolute authority to impose it.

So not surprised in the least. Elliot may very well try and take it to the higher courts like Brady did. But make no mistake. He's serving the full sentence just like Brady did. The only question is when

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using RealGM mobile app

Hardy' suspension was reduced from ten games to four. Everyone thought this suspension was gonna get knocked down, if not outright thrown out.

Hardy was also working against the old policy that was put in place for domestic violence. Since then it was changed. His punishment, despite taking place after the change in domestic abuse policy, was issued under the guidelines that were in place when his infraction was committed and investigated

And unless we have very different definitions of the word "everyone" no that wasn't the case.

humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 13,969

Post#163 » by humanrefutation » Wed Sep 6, 2017 6:32 pm

I still think that if Elliott takes this to federal court, they'll end up settling around 4, if only for the NFL to move on. But that's up to the NFL. The NFLPA gave Goodell this authority, and courts are loathe to overrule collectively-bargained arbitration agreements. The NFLPA will have to fight this during their next round of negotiations if they want to change it.
RRyder823
General Manager

Post#164 » by RRyder823 » Wed Sep 6, 2017 6:37 pm

humanrefutation wrote:I still think that if Elliott takes this to federal court, they'll end up settling around 4, if only for the NFL to move on. But that's up to the NFL. The NFLPA gave Goodell this authority, and courts are loathe to overrule collectively-bargained arbitration agreements. The NFLPA will have to fight this during their next round of negotiations if they want to change it.

While possible I don't see the NFL caving like that in light of recent precedent set last year. Opens up too big of a can of worms for them to drop games if a player decides to take it to the higher courts.

humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#165 » by humanrefutation » Wed Sep 6, 2017 6:43 pm

RRyder823 wrote:
humanrefutation wrote:I still think that if Elliott takes this to federal court, they'll end up settling around 4, if only for the NFL to move on. But that's up to the NFL. The NFLPA gave Goodell this authority, and courts are loathe to overrule collectively-bargained arbitration agreements. The NFLPA will have to fight this during their next round of negotiations if they want to change it.

While possible I don't see the NFL caving like that in light of recent precedent set last year. Opens up too big of a can of worms for them to drop games if a player decides to take it to the higher courts.

Well, they offered to settle with Brady more than once. They offered to reduce his suspension to two games as part of a settlement in which he admitted knowledge of the deflated footballs and to failing to cooperate with Ted Wells. He turned it down. They spent months at the negotiating table before letting the Court of Appeals decide in their favor.

I wouldn't be surprised if they do the same thing here, especially if Elliott gets a favorable District Court judge, and especially due to many of the questions regarding this case.
RRyder823
General Manager

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: ATL: Training Camp - Zeke Suspended for 6 

Post#166 » by RRyder823 » Wed Sep 6, 2017 7:09 pm

humanrefutation wrote:
RRyder823 wrote:

Well, they offered to settle with Brady more than once. They offered to reduce his suspension to two games as part of a settlement in which he admitted knowledge of the deflated footballs and to failing to cooperate with Ted Wells. He turned it down. They spent months at the negotiating table before letting the Court of Appeals decide in their favor.

I wouldn't be surprised if they do the same thing here, especially if Elliott gets a favorable District Court judge, and especially due to many of the questions regarding this case.

True but I'd wager they were more willing then because of the uncertainty of whether they'd win now in appeals court. There's not so much uncertainty now

I acknowledge it is a possibility though

trwi7
RealGM
And1: 26,392

Post#167 » by trwi7 » Wed Sep 6, 2017 7:16 pm

I think there's a pretty big difference in negotiating a lesser suspension due to deflated footballs instead of alleged domestic violence. Not to say they couldn't negotiate but I think it's much more unlikely than Brady.
stellation wrote:What's the difference between Gery Woelful and this glass of mineral water? The mineral water actually has a source."

I Hate Manure wrote:We look to be awful next season without Beasley.
humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#168 » by humanrefutation » Wed Sep 6, 2017 9:43 pm

trwi7 wrote:I think there's a pretty big difference in negotiating a lesser suspension due to deflated footballs instead of alleged domestic violence. Not to say they couldn't negotiate but I think it's much more unlikely than Brady.

No one is comparing them in terms of importance. But there are two issues at play here:

1. Elliott situation is incredibly complicated due to credibility issues coming from a variety of parties, so much that he wasn't prosecuted. Even the lead investigator, Kia Roberts, concluded that there was not enough evidence to punish Elliott- too many gaps in credibility on both sides and not enough witnesses (the common challenges in many DVSA cases). That's much different than Ted Wells, who essentially concluded that the Pats deflated balls and Brady was a liar.

2. There's also the inconsistency. Elliott got six games. Josh Brown, who admitted to assaulting his wife, got 1 game. In fact, "since the six-game suspension language was added to the personal conduct policy, there have been nine NFL suspensions potentially related to domestic violence. In all but two of those cases, the league has upheld suspensions that have been fewer than six games."

They're not punishing Elliott solely because of DV. I think they're - at least in part - punishing him for the same reasons they went after Brady. He didn't "bend the knee" to Goodell during the investigation, and it "makes a point" to go after a prominent player at one of the more popular NFL franchises.

If I trusted their judgment and motives, I'd be fine with suspending Elliott for six games. Too many of the victims of DVSA are walked over and ignored by the system, and I'd prefer to give those victims of the benefit of the doubt. But I don't trust their judgment, and I don't trust their motives. Courts might view it similarly, but we'll see.
HKPackFan
RealGM
And1: 10,243

Post#169 » by HKPackFan » Thu Sep 7, 2017 4:19 am

I just want to say, if my hypothetical GF cost me a high profile job, I'd be pretty pissed. That could be grounds for breaking up.

It's a weird day in a age with this whole social media thing, where your GF could **** up a job opportunity.

Not gonna blame this all on his GF, but man this whole situation has levels of being screwed up. Wanna keep the politics out of it, but it's just weird. After months of being black balled, he's close to getting a job and then that tweet? WTF, there's more to this story. Why did she pick on Ray Lewis at that very moment?
#FreeChuckDiesel

Return to Green Bay Packers