ImageImage

Packers Training Camp Thread - Sign Ahmad Brooks, Pg 9

Moderators: paulpressey25, MickeyDavis, humanrefutation

WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,657

Re: Packers Training Camp Thread - TT Q&A Page 8 

Post#161 » by WeekapaugGroove » Thu Aug 24, 2017 4:46 pm

HKPackFan wrote:Olivia Munn distracting is the lamest TMZ hot take ever.

I do worry about our pass rush.

I don't see it with our front 4, add to Perry and Claymaker as most likely to get injured by week 2 and I'm concerned about our LB depth and lack of pass rush in the front 7.

I worry by December Capers will be sending every tom, dick, harry, and their mother, with zero pass rushing skills, just blindly blitzing to try and get some kind of pass rush. Send every DB and LB we have!! Someone hit the QB!!!

I don't know where the pass rush is going to come from? Two walking injuries and Frackell and Elliot? That's what is going to take us to the promise land? *SIGH* Too early to be Charlie Brown, but I'm concerned. Capers please prove me wrong!!

I get the concern with the edge rushers and of course I wish they had more depth there but I would guess 90% of the league wishes they had more depth on the edge. I also look at it like Perry, Matthews, and Daniels are paid like elite front 7 defenders so they need to live up to that and earn their money. If they do the Pack should be fine. Even on the depth part Frackrell and Beigle were mid round picks and Elliot is in his 3rd year so these guys need to produce if called upon.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 34,741

Post#162 » by ReasonablySober » Tue Aug 29, 2017 3:11 pm

Thought this summed it up pretty well by Lietch.

I know I've been quoting Football Outsiders a lot in these previews, and with good reason: They're incredibly smart. (Seriously, buy the book. Football Outsiders Annual.) But I can't resist pointing out what they say about the Packers, because it's so precisely right . The Packers have Aaron Rodgers, one of the best quarterbacks in NFL history, in the absolutely prime of his career, and they have decided not to give him the help that he requires. They help out a little, sure, but they also act as if having a Hall of Fame quarterback is just a regular thing in the NFL, that when you have one of those guys, you don't have to do anything special: You just have that guy now, so go ahead and put together the rest of your roster like normal.

The Packers don't have a normal quarterback: They have a legend. So you go get the legend what he wants. Tom Brady was already a multiple-Super Bowl-winning quarterback, and the Patriots got him a Randy Moss. Rodgers performs magic on a regular basis, but he shouldn't have to: Your job is to make it easier on him so that he can do even more than he's doing now, without having to jump through so many hoops.

The Packers will be the best team in the NFC North this year and a Super Bowl contender. But you still can't help but imagine that they could be more, that they could have the definitive Super Bowl slam dunk team that Rodgers deserves. Rodgers may force the Packers into the Super Bowl this year by sure force of will. But wouldn't it be nice if one year, it didn't have to be so hard?

WeekapaugGroove
RealGM

Post#163 » by WeekapaugGroove » Tue Aug 29, 2017 3:42 pm

Biegel still not cleared. Have to think that assures him hitting the regular season pup. That way you have an extra roster spot for another healthy olb and make sure his foot is 100%. Could be a nice midseason addition.

Sent from my SM-G930V using RealGM mobile app
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 13,884

Post#164 » by humanrefutation » Tue Aug 29, 2017 4:01 pm

WeekapaugGroove wrote:Biegel still not cleared. Have to think that assures him hitting the regular season pup. That way you have an extra roster spot for another healthy olb and make sure his foot is 100%. Could be a nice midseason addition.

I like Biegel, but foot injuries always scare me. I'd rather they be cautious with their approach, but at this point, anything Biegel gives us will be a surprise.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 44,900

Post#166 » by MickeyDavis » Tue Aug 29, 2017 6:41 pm

Probably Clay's last year here unless he redoes the last year of his deal. No way we should be paying him $11.4 million next year, especially since there will be no cap hit for cutting him. His cap hit this year is $15 but it would have been $4 million cap hit to cut him.
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
GBPackers47
Starter
And1: 1,255

Post#167 » by GBPackers47 » Tue Aug 29, 2017 6:43 pm

MickeyDavis wrote:Probably Clay's last year here unless he redoes the last year of his deal. No way we should be paying him $11.4 million next year, especially since there will be no cap hit for cutting him. His cap hit this year is $15 but it would have been $4 million cap hit to cut him.

Seriously. It sucks because Clay has been such a fun player to watch on defense but the guy just can't stay on the field.
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM

Re: RE: Re: Packers Training Camp Thread - TT Q&A Page 8 

Post#168 » by WeekapaugGroove » Tue Aug 29, 2017 7:21 pm

dietac wrote:http://gnb.247sports.com/Bolt/Clay-Matthews-to-miss-Tuesday-practice-with-undisclosed-injury--106624363

Great...

It's a tight groin. At least its not that damn hamstring that always seems to give him trouble.

El Duderino
RealGM
And1: 1,324

Post#169 » by El Duderino » Tue Aug 29, 2017 7:52 pm

GBPackers47 wrote:
MickeyDavis wrote:Probably Clay's last year here unless he redoes the last year of his deal. No way we should be paying him $11.4 million next year, especially since there will be no cap hit for cutting him. His cap hit this year is $15 but it would have been $4 million cap hit to cut him.

Seriously. It sucks because Clay has been such a fun player to watch on defense but the guy just can't stay on the field.

Perry is also injury prone, that's why the paper thin depth at OLB is so concerning.

Even when healthy, outside rushers need rest during games where offenses throw 30-40 times and especially in no huddle drives. Remove either of those two via injury and suddenly scrubs like Fackrell and Elliot are going to be needed to play lots of snaps and get pressure on quarterbacks. Since odds are they can't, it would force Capers to blitz often and expose a secondary which we don't know if they can handle that.
dietac
Sophomore
And1: 62

Re: RE: Re: Packers Training Camp Thread - TT Q&A Page 8 

Post#170 » by dietac » Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:42 pm

WeekapaugGroove wrote:
dietac wrote:http://gnb.247sports.com/Bolt/Clay-Matthews-to-miss-Tuesday-practice-with-undisclosed-injury--106624363

Great...

It's a tight groin. At least its not that damn hamstring that always seems to give him trouble.

True... but groins can linger as well, especially if you come back too soon.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#171 » by MickeyDavis » Wed Aug 30, 2017 12:39 pm

Thumbs up

Michael Clark has been one of the surprises of camp. The undrafted rookie receiver played only one year of college football (at Marshall) after abandoning a Division I basketball scholarship at St. Francis. He’s raw but has tremendous height (6-feet-6) and a 33-inch vertical jump, and from early in camp has flashed an eye-catching ability to catch jump balls. For most of camp he's looked like the ideal practice-squad candidate, a guy who needs a year to learn his new craft. And that’s still likely how things will go. But if he flashes in Thursday's preseason finale like he's flashed in camp — on Tuesday he made two more impressive leaping catches — you wonder if the Packers will have to worry at least a little about another team claiming him on waivers based on his long-term potential. Both catches Tuesday came against cornerback Davon House. The first was a back-shoulder throw in which he undercut and jumped over House for a nice gain down the sideline. On the second, he leaped way over House on a fade route and plucked the ball out of the air for about a 20-yard touchdown. “The beginning part is easy,” House said of covering Clark on a fade. “It’s just trying to out-jump him. It’s almost impossible. I don’t think anyone has won a jump ball with him this year so far.” Clark redshirted one season at Marshall, then caught 37 passes for a 17.1-yard average last year. His decision to enter the draft was stunning because another season in college almost surely would have gotten him drafted. But he says his decision to come out was “instinct.” He wanted to play against the best and not risk a major injury in college. “At the moment it seemed radical from the outside, but I always had a plan in my head when I quit basketball,” he said. “I gave up a full (basketball) scholarship and I was a walk-on (in football), and it was kind of, ‘what is he doing?’ Then I leave early, ‘what is he doing?’ Then the stuff I’m doing now, it’s, ‘OK, maybe he does know what he’s doing.’”

Thumbs down

Tuesday was a rough day for the Packers’ outside linebackers. With Clay Matthews (groin tightness), Nick Perry (ankle) and Jayrone Elliott (back) not practicing because of injuries, the Packers had only four healthy outside linebackers: Kyler Fackrell, Reggie Gilbert,Johnathan Calvin and Josh Letuligasenoa. They had a long day. In one-on-one pass rushing, they went a combined 1-8 as outside rushers, with Gilbert getting the only win, against tackle Jason Spriggs. Calvin also won his rep as an inside rusher against guard Geoff Gray. The four then had to handle the entire practice in team drills, taking snap after snap, first with the defense going against scout-team offense, then vice versa. That’s a lot of work with the final preseason game only two days away. “It can’t do anything but help my game,” Gilbert said. “The coaches do a good job of helping us get our legs back. I should be all right. I’m might go hop in the cold tub right now.”

Injury report

New players who missed practice were safety Ha Ha Clinton-Dix (knee), Matthews (groin tightness), Perry (ankle) and guard-center Lucas Patrick (concussion).

Receiver Geronimo Allison left practice after taking a hard fall on his back, but returned.

Two players returned from injury: House (hamstring) and defensive lineman Dean Lowry (knee).

Bits and Pieces

» With Tuesday’s practice being the final of camp open to the public, receivers Jordy Nelson and Jeff Janis decided to have some fun with fans, so they switched jerseys, with Janis wearing Nelson’s 87, and Nelson wearing Janis’ 83. “I wanted to raise my awareness (rating) level on ‘Madden,’ so I decided to switch jerseys and wear Jordy’s,” Janis joked. “He wanted to raise his speed level up a little bit, so he wore my jersey.”

» Undrafted rookie Adam Pankey has been playing tackle all camp but worked extensively at guard Tuesday. He played guard at West Virginia as a junior before moving to left tackle as a senior. Injuries to Don Barclay and Patrick opened some snaps at guard, plus the Packers still are looking for their No. 3 at that position. Pankey looked natural in his two one-on-one reps at guard, where he beat Ricky Jean Francois and then Kenny Clark.

Quote of the day

Coach Mike McCarthy, on the competitiveness of the receiver position in training camp: “We (coaches) judge ourselves by how our young players play, it's not how your veteran players play. It's about developing the young player here. That's been the case here for 12 years, so you have to get those young players, particularly the first-year players, ready to contribute. History will tell you, November, December, most likely those guys are playing in the games, and obviously we understand the importance of games in November and December.”
GBPackers47
Starter

Post#172 » by GBPackers47 » Wed Aug 30, 2017 2:52 pm

El Duderino wrote:
GBPackers47 wrote:

Perry is also injury prone, that's why the paper thin depth at OLB is so concerning.

Even when healthy, outside rushers need rest during games where offenses throw 30-40 times and especially in no huddle drives. Remove either of those two via injury and suddenly scrubs like Fackrell and Elliot are going to be needed to play lots of snaps and get pressure on quarterbacks. Since odds are they can't, it would force Capers to blitz often and expose a secondary which we don't know if they can handle that.

Ahmad Brooks isn't going to be a Pro Bowler by any stretch of the imagination, but I don't see how we can pass on signing him. Obviously hope Perry and Matthews can stay healthy for most of the year, but a potential starting LB group of Fackrell, Ryan, Martinez and Elliot is downright bad.
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM

Post#173 » by WeekapaugGroove » Wed Aug 30, 2017 3:14 pm

I kind of wonder with brooks if the delay is the pack doing their due diligence on some of his off field issues.

crkone
RealGM
And1: 9,319

Post#174 » by crkone » Wed Aug 30, 2017 3:32 pm

WeekapaugGroove wrote:I kind of wonder with brooks if the delay is the pack doing their due diligence on some of his off field issues.

Or it's about money

Code: Select all

o- - -  \o          __|
   o/   /|          vv`\
  /|     |              |
   |    / \_            |
  / \   |               |
 /  |                   |
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 34,741

Post#175 » by ReasonablySober » Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:54 pm

Read on Twitter

Does this mean another besides Brooks?
BigDee
RealGM
And1: 1,349

Post#176 » by BigDee » Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:56 pm

Great news.
humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 13,884

Re: Packers Training Camp Thread - Sign Ahmad Brooks, Pg 9 

Post#177 » by humanrefutation » Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:57 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:
Read on Twitter

I took that to mean that this is the third name free agent the Packers have signed this summer, after Marty and Lance. But admittedly, it can be read both ways.
GBPackers47
Starter

Post#178 » by GBPackers47 » Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:58 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:
Read on Twitter

Joe Haden maybe? He's not what he used to be, but maybe they are concerned about King starting.
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM

Post#179 » by WeekapaugGroove » Wed Aug 30, 2017 6:02 pm

humanrefutation wrote:
ReasonablySober wrote:
Read on Twitter

I took that to mean that this is the third name free agent the Packers have signed this summer, after Marty and Lance. But admittedly, it can be read both ways.

This was how I interpreted it too. Brooks is the "another". It's been a free agent bonanza for the pack this year. Bennett, Kendricks, Evens, and Francois.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#180 » by MickeyDavis » Wed Aug 30, 2017 6:04 pm

Haden may be going to Pitt. Brooks is a no risk signing. Our LB's are terrible.

Return to Green Bay Packers