ImageImage

Initial 53 Man Set - Taylor Extended (pg 13), Dial Signed (pg 14)

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25, humanrefutation

bizarro
RealGM
And1: 7,290

Re: Initial 53 Man Set - Jayrone to the Cowboys for a 7th, pg 12 

Post#241 » by bizarro » Mon Sep 4, 2017 3:34 am

Profound23 wrote:
Swan Vox wrote:
Read on Twitter

I'm happy we are looking to upgrade no matter what but it will be weird having 3 guys cut by the 49ers in the same offseason/preseason.

3 49'ers? I know of Brooks and Dial...both good vets...but 3? Am i forgetting someone?
GBPackers47
Starter
And1: 1,256

Post#242 » by GBPackers47 » Mon Sep 4, 2017 3:49 am

bizarro wrote:
Profound23 wrote:
Swan Vox wrote:
Read on Twitter

I'm happy we are looking to upgrade no matter what but it will be weird having 3 guys cut by the 49ers in the same offseason/preseason.

3 49'ers? I know of Brooks and Dial...both good vets...but 3? Am i forgetting someone?

I suppose Francois but that wasn't last year
rilamann
RealGM
And1: 13,245

Post#243 » by rilamann » Mon Sep 4, 2017 4:55 am

Jayrone probably wasn't going to set the world on fire but I would have rather had him than the 7th round draft choice.

Dumb trade nevertheless.
Giannis Antetokounmpo wrote:You're out here reffing like Marc Davis and ****
bizarro
RealGM

Post#244 » by bizarro » Mon Sep 4, 2017 5:09 am

rilamann wrote:Jayrone probably wasn't going to set the world on fire but I would have rather had than the 7th round draft choice.

Dumb trade nevertheless.

I guess I don't really agree. He flashed once for a brief period of time. Since? Not really a thing of note. When a guy is the last place on a depth chart (whether we agree with it or not), it seems a logical conclusion is to get what you can - in this instance a 7th rd pick - while rotating his slot with a young hungry prospect (see Odum).
rilamann
RealGM

Post#245 » by rilamann » Mon Sep 4, 2017 5:16 am

bizarro wrote:
rilamann wrote:Jayrone probably wasn't going to set the world on fire but I would have rather had him than the 7th round draft choice.

Dumb trade nevertheless.

I guess I don't really agree. He flashed once for a brief period of time. Since? Not really a thing of note. When a guy is the last place on a depth chart (whether we agree with it or not), it seems a logical conclusion is to get what you can - in this instance a 7th rd pick - while rotating his slot with a young hungry prospect (see Odum).

I was kind of interested to see what Jayrone would have done with more snaps, he did show some good flashes with a limited number of snaps in the past.This deal probably won't factor into the final result of this season so it's not really a big issue, but Jayrone was probably still better than who we will end up drafting with that 7th round choice should the pick still be ours at draft time.
rilamann
RealGM

Post#246 » by rilamann » Mon Sep 4, 2017 5:22 am

We need to start a ''You might be a Packer fan if...'' thing.

You might be a Packer fan if you get more excited about scrap heap free agents on the defensive side of the ball, than you have over most of the players the Packer's have actually drafted on the defensive side of the ball.

Or maybe that should be a '' Ted Thompson might be your GM if...''
El Duderino
RealGM
And1: 1,324

Post#247 » by El Duderino » Mon Sep 4, 2017 5:44 am

rilamann wrote:
I was kind of interested to see what Jayrone would have done with more snaps, he did show some good flashes with a limited number of snaps in the past.This deal probably won't factor into the final result of this season so it's not really a big issue, but Jayrone was probably still better than who we will end up drafting with that 7th round choice should the pick still be ours at draft time.

I don't know anything about this Odom kid, but i'd still rather have him than Elliot. I've seen enough of Elliot over the years to know he's just a fringe special team/last OLB guy who you don't want to see getting many snaps on defense because that means your starting linebackers are hurt.

If anything, the case should have been between keeping Fackrell or Elliot and that's likely where Fackrell being a third round pick only two years ago came into the equation. Most GM's loath cutting a guy this soon who was picked in the first three rounds, even if there is little evidence that the player is any good.

The only guys picked in those first three rounds i can recall Ted waiving in their second season were Worthy, Thorton, and Alex Green, but i believe Green hurt his knee.
Wizard87
Ballboy
And1: 4

Post#248 » by Wizard87 » Mon Sep 4, 2017 1:39 pm

Surprised GB didn't look to upgrade the 2nd string OL through waivers or trade, if we get injuries to that starting OL Rodgers will be running for his life. As far as picking up Odom I think they thought Elliot had reached his peak while Odom has more upside.

I am a little skeptical on Odom because his preseason stats were against 2nd and 3rd string offensive players.Not expecting a whole lot from him this year.
HKPackFan
RealGM
And1: 10,246

Post#249 » by HKPackFan » Mon Sep 4, 2017 3:48 pm

Elliot is a limited player. He was on the verge of getting cut, so they got something in return. Saying he's better than frackell isn't saying much.

Frackell has one year to turn it on or he's getting cut a year from now. He's most probably a bust.

It's amazing we knew these guys sucked and are barely roster worthy since February/march and the only thing we did is take a chance on a 4th round pick who hasn't played a snap.

I mean this falls on TT, we knew what we were getting into. Two injury starters and 2 depth guys leaving, with only 2 trash guys remaining. And we sat on our hands until the last minute when we saw an old guy get cut.
#FreeChuckDiesel
TankWilson
Sophomore
And1: 45

Re: Cut Down To 53 Predictions 

Post#250 » by TankWilson » Mon Sep 4, 2017 4:20 pm

th87 wrote:
TankWilson wrote:You don't draft for year one you draft for overall game and TT did that this year. Also TT is working under a cap people he can't just pour money everywhere. He has put top offensive talent around the best QB in an offensive league. We are always a contender for the SB and when Arod wins a 2nd what more do you want, SB's take a a lot of luck swell as talent to win. The defense has enough there to allow this offense to win a SB. Great safety core, a great 2some of starting rush OLBS, mike fkn daniels and davon house back. Its not perfect but I think to blame TT here is asinine! Its not like he gets high picks each year, its a lottery and he's hit on as many as he's missed and you can't judge king yet!

Look at his acquisitions before 2012 and those after. Huge talent gap. Coincides with his top assistants leaving.

No the top assistants leave for promotions and more of this little thing called money..
BigDee
RealGM
And1: 1,349

Post#251 » by BigDee » Mon Sep 4, 2017 4:21 pm

#Packers announce contract extension for guard Lane Taylor.
TankWilson
Sophomore

Post#252 » by TankWilson » Mon Sep 4, 2017 4:23 pm

Wizard87 wrote:Surprised GB didn't look to upgrade the 2nd string OL through waivers or trade, if we get injuries to that starting OL Rodgers will be running for his life. As far as picking up Odom I think they thought Elliot had reached his peak while Odom has more upside.

I am a little skeptical on Odom because his preseason stats were against 2nd and 3rd string offensive players.Not expecting a whole lot from him this year.

If any team suffers injuries to their starters they are in trouble. Not many teams have an abundance of quality depth, theres a lot of luck involved in winning in this league thats a fact. We need luck so this Oline doesn't have injuries and then we have a top Oline in the game. Thats the way it goes, this is the NFL.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,009

Post#253 » by ReasonablySober » Mon Sep 4, 2017 4:31 pm

Read on Twitter
TankWilson
Sophomore

Post#254 » by TankWilson » Mon Sep 4, 2017 4:34 pm

HKPackFan wrote:Elliot is a limited player. He was on the verge of getting cut, so they got something in return. Saying he's better than frackell isn't saying much.

Frackell has one year to turn it on or he's getting cut a year from now. He's most probably a bust.

It's amazing we knew these guys sucked and are barely roster worthy since February/march and the only thing we did is take a chance on a 4th round pick who hasn't played a snap.

I mean this falls on TT, we knew what we were getting into. Two injury starters and 2 depth guys leaving, with only 2 trash guys remaining. And we sat on our hands until the last minute when we saw an old guy get cut.

That "old guy who got cut" is 33 and has been a pretty damn solid player in this league. Lets not give TT any credit or anything tho for signing a guy I and many others think will be a big part of the defense this year tho.. That wouldn't fall in line with the agenda now would it?
TankWilson
Sophomore

Post#255 » by TankWilson » Mon Sep 4, 2017 4:35 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:
Read on Twitter

I loved the potential lane taylor had from the minute we signed him as a priority free agent. Now he's become a very good guard in this league and will probably even be better this year than last entering his prime. I hear a lot of TT doesn't do this and that but he has to credit for finding guys like this.
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,663

Post#256 » by WeekapaugGroove » Mon Sep 4, 2017 5:10 pm

Fun fact for those who think OLB is neglected- with the addition on brooks the packers now have the most 2017 cap money invested in OLB in the ENTIRE LEAGUE. Plus a 3rd and 4th round picks which is a decent draft investment for depth. Now one could argue they picked the wrong guys but to act like they ignored the position is just not true. Even before the brooks signing they were top 5 in money spent at OLB.

Sent from my SM-G930V using RealGM mobile app
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
neiLz
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,480

Post#257 » by neiLz » Mon Sep 4, 2017 5:12 pm

Good extension for Lane Taylor... So his cap hit this year is now 7.8 million? It previously was 3.1 mil. so does that mean 4.7 of his 16.5 extension was rolled into this year? Meaning the next three years his totals would be 11.8 mil? thats not bad at all.
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,663

Post#258 » by WeekapaugGroove » Mon Sep 4, 2017 5:16 pm

I'd like to see Lindsey and Ha Ha get done next. I'd be fine extending adams next but I feel like he's a little harder to properly guage his value with the up and down nature of his career so far.

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
bizarro
RealGM

Post#259 » by bizarro » Mon Sep 4, 2017 5:33 pm

I am still anxiously awaiting news of a Quinton Dial visit and signing. He would be a great rotational and depth fit on early downs.
Iheartfootball
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,178

Post#260 » by Iheartfootball » Mon Sep 4, 2017 6:48 pm

WeekapaugGroove wrote:Fun fact for those who think OLB is neglected- with the addition on brooks the packers now have the most 2017 cap money invested in OLB in the ENTIRE LEAGUE. Plus a 3rd and 4th round picks which is a decent draft investment for depth. Now one could argue they picked the wrong guys but to act like they ignored the position is just not true. Even before the brooks signing they were top 5 in money spent at OLB.

Most money? Not a very good return on investment there.

Return to Green Bay Packers