ImageImage

Initial 53 Man Set - Taylor Extended (pg 13), Dial Signed (pg 14)

Moderators: paulpressey25, MickeyDavis, humanrefutation

Turk Nowitzki
RealGM
And1: 9,821

Re: Initial 53 Man Set - Taylor Extended (pg 13), Dial Signed (pg 14) 

Post#281 » by Turk Nowitzki » Tue Sep 5, 2017 8:42 pm

I just realized that Darrelle Revis is still unsigned. Is he that completely washed up or are there legal issues there? I was surprised by that.
jazzfanWA
Jazz Forum GTS Champion 2018-2019
And1: 362

Post#282 » by jazzfanWA » Tue Sep 5, 2017 8:47 pm

Profound23 wrote:This is the first year I can say (IN MY OPINION) Ted has done better via free agency than with the draft. Thanks to his terrible drafting (with the exception of Kenny Clark who looks pretty good) the last few years I think he is feeling the heat and finally starting to bring in some outside talent.

Yeah, no doubt his draft misses are motivating the FA signings.
El Duderino
RealGM
And1: 1,324

Post#283 » by El Duderino » Tue Sep 5, 2017 8:50 pm

Profound23 wrote:This is the first year I can say (IN MY OPINION) Ted has done better via free agency than with the draft. Thanks to his terrible drafting (with the exception of Kenny Clark who looks pretty good) the last few years I think he is feeling the heat and finally starting to bring in some outside talent.

I remember Ron Wolf saying one of the biggest things he had to learn as GM was accepting mistakes were made in drafting players, including higher round picks, move on from those players, and fix the problem however possible. Terrell Buckley he said was his first glaring example of that. He waited to long out of stubbornness.

For Ted, he'd sit around with good teams playing scrubs like MD Jennings at a starting safety position instead of getting at least a semi-competent veteran.
Swan Vox
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,917

Post#284 » by Swan Vox » Tue Sep 5, 2017 8:55 pm

I think with the signing of Dial, I feel pretty good about the roster. I'd like to see another vet G/C signed for depth, but I'm not sure what's out there at the moment.
RRyder823
General Manager
And1: 4,149

Re: RE: Re: Initial 53 Man Set - Taylor Extended (pg 13), Dial Signed (pg 14) 

Post#285 » by RRyder823 » Tue Sep 5, 2017 9:00 pm

Turk Nowitzki wrote:I just realized that Darrelle Revis is still unsigned. Is he that completely washed up or are there legal issues there? I was surprised by that.

He's getting 6 mill from the Jets to sit on his couch.

In order to make it worth it for him to play your looking in the 8-10 range

(and with father time starting to beat him down he is maybe worth half that if you really wanted to take a flyer on him)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using RealGM mobile app
Profound23
RealGM
And1: 6,387

Post#286 » by Profound23 » Tue Sep 5, 2017 9:21 pm

El Duderino wrote:

I remember Ron Wolf saying one of the biggest things he had to learn as GM was accepting mistakes were made in drafting players, including higher round picks, move on from those players, and fix the problem however possible. Terrell Buckley he said was his first glaring example of that. He waited to long out of stubbornness.

For Ted, he'd sit around with good teams playing scrubs like MD Jennings at a starting safety position instead of getting at least a semi-competent veteran.

Ron Wolf also said one of his biggest mistakes was drafting for need over talent and that lead him to his biggest regret of taking Vonnie Holliday over Randy Moss which was then compounded the next year by drafting a bunch of corners to stop Randy over other star quality players.

Ted is now at that point where he is basically repeating history. Drafted for need in 2015 (corner) two rounds in a row, then this year because those picks didn't work out drafted a CB when there was talent all over the board from LB (Reuben Foster, TJ Watt) to running back (Dalvin Cook, Joe Mixon) to other (Evan Engram, Budda Baker, etc.). If he keeps passing on stars while trying to fill holes in the draft, instead of drafting the stars and filling the holes via free agency, Ted won't have a job much longer.
BucksPackers
Analyst
And1: 599

Post#287 » by BucksPackers » Tue Sep 5, 2017 9:28 pm

Profound23 wrote:
El Duderino wrote:

Ron Wolf also said one of his biggest mistakes was drafting for need over talent and that lead him to his biggest regret of taking Vonnie Holliday over Randy Moss which was then compounded the next year by drafting a bunch of corners to stop Randy over other star quality players.

Ted is now at that point where he is basically repeating history. Drafted for need in 2015 (corner) two rounds in a row, then this year because those picks didn't work out drafted a CB when there was talent all over the board from LB (Reuben Foster, TJ Watt) to running back (Dalvin Cook, Joe Mixon) to other (Evan Engram, Budda Baker, etc.). If he keeps passing on stars while trying to fill holes in the draft, instead of drafting the stars and filling the holes via free agency, Ted won't have a job much longer.

Sadly by that time it is going to be too late......

We need him gone now. At some point making the playoffs isn't enough. He is not drafting well enough or making any roster moves. If Ted didn't get lucky with Rodgers where would we be right now?
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,657

Post#288 » by WeekapaugGroove » Tue Sep 5, 2017 10:00 pm

For **** sake does discussion of every move have to turn into a 'window is closing and i hate TT' rant?

Sent from my SM-G930V using RealGM mobile app
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
CWoodfan
Junior
And1: 288

Post#289 » by CWoodfan » Tue Sep 5, 2017 11:03 pm

I have no idea what to think about my Green Bay Packers anymore.

I totally bought into the draft and development model of roster building and have completely backed the logic of not signing free agents, or only rarely signing free agents, and instead relying on our own guys. I have argued with other fans who wanted General Manager Ted Thompson to acquire more players from other teams and even repeated one argument about certain players not wanting to play in Green Bay so there was no sense in complaining about them not being signed.

Now in the last forty-eight hours or so we have signed two veteran free agents, claimed another player off waivers, and traded away one of our veteran players who I thought was being groomed to be an important part of the outside linebacker rotation. This after we signed five other free agents earlier this year. We are no longer going to be one of the youngest teams because many of these guys are in their thirties.

I have lurked on this site for years because I think there are quite a few knowledgeable posters, so I have got to ask, what is going on in Green Bay these days when it comes to adding all of these players from other teams and letting our own players go?
Turk Nowitzki
RealGM

Post#290 » by Turk Nowitzki » Tue Sep 5, 2017 11:27 pm

CWoodfan wrote:I have no idea what to think about my Green Bay Packers anymore.

I totally bought into the draft and development model of roster building and have completely backed the logic of not signing free agents, or only rarely signing free agents, and instead relying on our own guys. I have argued with other fans who wanted General Manager Ted Thompson to acquire more players from other teams and even repeated one argument about certain players not wanting to play in Green Bay so there was no sense in complaining about them not being signed.

Now in the last forty-eight hours or so we have signed two veteran free agents, claimed another player off waivers, and traded away one of our veteran players who I thought was being groomed to be an important part of the outside linebacker rotation. This after we signed five other free agents earlier this year. We are no longer going to be one of the youngest teams because many of these guys are in their thirties.

I have lurked on this site for years because I think there are quite a few knowledgeable posters, so I have got to ask, what is going on in Green Bay these days when it comes to adding all of these players from other teams and letting our own players go?

This has to be a troll post.
bizarro
RealGM
And1: 7,290

Post#291 » by bizarro » Tue Sep 5, 2017 11:29 pm

CWoodfan wrote:I have no idea what to think about my Green Bay Packers anymore.

I think the easiest answer is: we took advantage of good veteran fits by plucking from SF's cuts having moved more to youth and a 4-3 scheme. Both Brooks and Dial are better overall depth and impact players who have played in a scheme extremely similar to the Packers scheme for years. The young players we cut - in this case Ringo, Price, and Elliot - were given every chance to succeed amd flourish. Simply put: we got better players while going the route of trial and error.

Odom was an UDFA they had their sites set on since pre-draft. He excelled in the pre-season and they were fortunate to scoop him up. This is much better and a much deeper defense than last year's squad.
bizarro
RealGM

Post#292 » by bizarro » Tue Sep 5, 2017 11:31 pm

WeekapaugGroove wrote:For **** sake does discussion of every move have to turn into a 'window is closing and i hate TT' rant?

To the TT and MM bashers I simply say: try being a Bucks fan. I complain about TT and MM when it is deserved. BUT, hell hath no fury like loyalty to the Milwaukee Bucks organization. Packers fans just don't know - as a general rule of thumb - how good they have it and how spoiled they are.
RRyder823
General Manager
And1: 4,149

Re: RE: Re: Initial 53 Man Set - Taylor Extended (pg 13), Dial Signed (pg 14) 

Post#293 » by RRyder823 » Tue Sep 5, 2017 11:38 pm

bizarro wrote:
WeekapaugGroove wrote:For **** sake does discussion of every move have to turn into a 'window is closing and i hate TT' rant?

To the TT and MM bashers I simply say: try being a Bucks fan. I complain about TT and MM when it is deserved. BUT, hell hath no fury like loyalty to the Milwaukee Bucks organization. Packers fans just don't know - as a general rule of thumb - how good they have it and how spoiled they are.

The sad part is most of us are Bucks fans that came from the Bucks forum on RealGM and yet will choose to act like spoiled children and call for TT and MM jobs every time the Packers fail to win a championship despite them being real contenders every year while flipping their lids over the "possibility" of the Bucks making it past round one.

Like damn. Honestly it's why I've mentioned to certain Bucks that they'll never be happy no matter the level of success the franchise achieves.... cause exhibit a: GB Packers forums filled with nothing but complaining acting like we're the Jaguars.

Seriously though. Least this board is better then most with that sort of thing.... Probably because most of us are Bucks fans also

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using RealGM mobile app
El Duderino
RealGM

Post#294 » by El Duderino » Tue Sep 5, 2017 11:39 pm

First of all, i don't hate Thompson or think he's a terrible GM.

Besides that, to think fans shouldn't discuss the guy who has total control of the Packers franchise is ridiculous. By your logic, Bucks fans shouldn't often talk about decisions made by the Bucks front office.

The Packers have one of the best quarterbacks to ever play the game and regardless that Ted was the one to draft Rodgers, the team only playing in one Super Bowl so far under Aaron is a bad return on his greatness. If you have a problem with fans talking about this a lot, my advice for you is to use the scroll feature on your mouse or laptop when you see discussion involving Thompson because it won't end so long as a bad defense continues getting the team bounced out of the playoffs.
Profound23
RealGM
And1: 6,387

Post#295 » by Profound23 » Tue Sep 5, 2017 11:43 pm

bizarro wrote:

Despite his faults I have stuck up for Ted way more than I have bashed him up until recently.

His last three drafts have been pretty bad and that is eventually going to hurt us. I like Kenny Clark but that's about it. I get it's early on this draft but so far it looks awful. 2013 and 2015 were awful, 2016 looks bad except Clark, and this year looks just as terrible. 2014 was good but 1 out of 5 isn't going to get it done.
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,657

Post#296 » by WeekapaugGroove » Tue Sep 5, 2017 11:52 pm

El Duderino wrote:

First of all, i don't hate Thompson or think he's a terrible GM.

Besides that, to think fans shouldn't discuss the guy who has total control of the Packers franchise is ridiculous. By your logic, Bucks fans shouldn't often talk about decisions made by the Bucks front office.

The Packers have one of the best quarterbacks to ever play the game and regardless that Ted was the one to draft Rodgers, the team only playing in one Super Bowl so far under Aaron is a bad return on his greatness. If you have a problem with fans talking about this a lot, my advice for you is to use the scroll feature on your mouse or laptop when you see discussion involving Thompson because it won't end so long as a bad defense continues getting the team bounced out of the playoffs.

I don't have a problem with criticism of either TT or MM. Just pointing out it seems like it's the same regurgitated stuff being thrown out week after week and year after year. Just feels like it would be more productive to actually talk about the player the pick up instead of going down this road for the 100th time.

I get not wanting to waste Rodgers but it's a multitude of things really that have made that a reality. **** if he simply played better in the Seattle NFC Championship they would have went to the super bowl that year.

Winning the super bowl is hard. Even Brady and BB went almost 10 years between Superbowl wins.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
El Duderino
RealGM

Post#297 » by El Duderino » Tue Sep 5, 2017 11:58 pm

bizarro wrote:

They are different, but similar sports. Having a QB the caliber of Aaron Rodgers is nearly akin to having a LeBron caliber player in the NBA.

So if say the Bucks had LeBron on their team for a decade and only made the Finals once, their front office would get even more wrath than it currently does. Being happy with just one Finals/title wouldn't be how things were, regardless if the team won 50-60 games a year.

Packers fans who follow football closely fully understand that once Rodgers is retired, the odds of landing another QB anywhere near the caliber of his greatness again are microscopic, so frustration builds with good reason as each season ends with yet another playoff flameout.

It's not about being spoiled as a fan. It's about knowing Packer football after Rodgers could potentially get grim or get stuck in mediocrity as happens to so many teams lacking an elite QB, so to keep blowing opportunities to capitalize while Aaron is still great is very frustrating.
El Duderino
RealGM

Post#298 » by El Duderino » Wed Sep 6, 2017 12:09 am

WeekapaugGroove wrote:
I don't have a problem with criticism of either TT or MM. Just pointing out it seems like it's the same regurgitated stuff being thrown out week after week and year after year. Just feels like it would be more productive to actually talk about the player the pick up instead of going down this road for the 100th time.

Let's see, the Bucks forum on this site contains one thread and one post after another bashing the Bucks front office over decisions they make, how about you go over there and tell all of the posters to stop posting the same regurgitated stuff as you put it and see how that flies because the amount of flack Ted gets is very timid in comparison.

Sports forums are about fan frustration as much as anything and this one is no different.
Turk Nowitzki
RealGM

Post#299 » by Turk Nowitzki » Wed Sep 6, 2017 12:26 am

What's up with Malachi Dupre? Last I read he didn't want to join our practice squad but it doesn't look like he's signed with anyone yet?
bizarro
RealGM

Post#300 » by bizarro » Wed Sep 6, 2017 12:47 am

Profound23 wrote:
bizarro wrote:

Despite his faults I have stuck up for Ted way more than I have bashed him up until recently.

His last three drafts have been pretty bad and that is eventually going to hurt us. I like Kenny Clark but that's about it. I get it's early on this draft but so far it looks awful. 2013 and 2015 were awful, 2016 looks bad except Clark, and this year looks just as terrible. 2014 was good but 1 out of 5 isn't going to get it done.

I guess I just don't agree on this draft. It's just too early to tell. The wild card, to me, is King. I personally feel like Adams, Biegel, and Jones are going to be legit solid NFL players. Adams, to me, is a legit pro bowl level talent if he stays healthy. We have 3 RB's that look to all add something to that department. We struck 2 more WR prospects in Yancey and Clark (UDFA, obviously) and we nabbed two more UDFA on the roster in pipkins and Vogel. The only clear miss - but it was and is a developmental swing based on measureables - was Amichia.

This is where I'll just agree to disagree on the current draft. Plus, what the hell are we doing judging this year's draft after the preseason - particularly When two of the more noteable acquisitions had freakish foot injuries?!?

Return to Green Bay Packers